Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to make an RC Interceptor 19 faster?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to make an RC Interceptor 19 faster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-19, 10:19 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312
Yes, this is a serious question. I don't mean to be rude, but is this question that strange, just because the bicycle is somewhat high-end? To me it seems like nothing on my bicycle is optimal, it could be lighter, it could be more aerodynamic (at the same time!), it could have dura-ace instead of ultegra, furthermore the compliance is horrible on my bicycle, just to mention a few things.

Yeah it is a decent bicycle, but it stops right there. A really high-end bicycle like a Madone SLR 9 is much more expensive and features much better ... everything.

While I appreciate all the replies I've gotten so far, it seems that the general consensus here is that it is pointless to buy something like a Madone SLR 9. Considering how little bang for buck you appear to get --- a gain measured in a few seconds at best --- I must say I'm inclined to agree.

All of that said, your advice seems very good, because the tires don't exactly appear to be good ones. Thank you.

So perhaps I should look into tires and clip-in pedals, and lowering the bars?

Beyond this, I suspect there is a much higher diminishing returns. Does that seem somewhat accurate?
The thing about 'better' parts, is that when your 'lesser' parts are new and working properly, you get practically zero benefit from more expensive parts - your bike will be exactly the same speed with Sora shift levers as with Dura Ace Di2. There might be a tiny increase in drag in the bushings in the derailleur jockey wheels, but not much when they are clean and new. There might be a tiny increase in drag in the bottom bracket bearings, but you'd be hard pressed to find a measurable difference at 100rpm. Upgraded crankarms and chainrings will not make you one bit faster. Same with front derailleurs and brakes. More expensive doesn't mean faster. There might be a tiny tiny weight difference, but if you get to your destination with 100ml of water left in your bottle than you could have saved more weight there than by swapping 105 for Dura Ace.
SO make sure your equipment is working at its peak - keep your hubs (which I believe are cup-and-cone and not sealed cartridge bearings) lubricated and properly adjusted. Buy better tires* and keep them inflated to a pressure that prevents pinch flats but doesn't bounce you out of the saddle over rough pavement..

*Tires: There is likely some improvement to be found there, but a fun game I like to play is to only buy new tires when my current ones are worn out. I treat it as buying myself a reward for riding so much I wore out my tires (the rear one, anyway). My favourite tires are Panaracer Paselas - they have a very lightweight casing that rolls super fast, are available in every size under the sun, and are affordable. But everyone has their favourites and say they are the best. The more you ride over the years the more types of tires you will get to try.

Other free speed: ensure your bike fit is optimised for your body - there are a lot of suggestions above that you lower ('slam') your stem, but if this puts you in a position that makes your back or neck hurt, or you have a belly that compresses your lungs when in a low aero position, then you will not be able to put out as much power. If your saddle is too low then your body will be working ~10% harder to put the same power to the pedals as with a properly adjusted saddle.
Also wear tight fitting clothes - all the slammed stems and deep dish wheels in the world won't make up for a loose windbreaker flapping in the wind.
If you are carrying luggage, get an aerodynamic or seatpost mounted rack - do not wear a backpack or use side-mount panniers.
Old 09-20-19, 03:38 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I can't believe that nobody's suggested painting the bike red.
Old 09-20-19, 06:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Ride with other people who are at or slightly above your level of ability. I'm nowhere close to being competitive on any bike, but I know that I make a better effort when I'm riding with others.
Old 09-20-19, 06:41 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Taking the question literally look into high performance tires, latex tubes, or better yet change to tubeless. In that case, needing a new wheelset, look at deep section aero rims. Gains will be marginal.