Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Road Kill

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 02:50 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Road Kill

One thing that really burns me about the car culture is the large number of animals I see dead or injured and suffering on the highway. It's even worse when a haughty cager mows down some critters for fun or because he doesn't feel like slowing down or stopping.

New Hampshire Democrat Admits Mowing Down Group Of Ducks With BMW

There's a special place in hell...
Old 12-30-13, 02:56 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You get upset over 6 ducks that you have never seen?

Old 12-30-13, 02:59 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
If the scofflaw animals would just use the crosswalks and stop running lights and stop signs...
Old 12-30-13, 03:50 PM
GodsBassist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I don't think it's the ducks. It's violence for the sake of violence, and interesting that the driver would likely never do something like that in any other setting than behind the wheel. Not to mention that they were animals that people were actually feeding at the time.
Old 12-30-13, 04:36 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GodsBassist
I don't think it's the ducks. It's violence for the sake of violence, and interesting that the driver would likely never do something like that in any other setting than behind the wheel. Not to mention that they were animals that people were actually feeding at the time.
I have a feeling that a person who could kill things with a car has the moral capacity to kill them with a different weapon. It's just that if he shot the ducks with a gun, he would be prosecuted for something. Using a car as the weapon sometimes grants immunity to the killer.

Here in Michigan, our state legislature just passed a law that imposes an additional fine on somebody who strikes a cyclist, walker, or other "vulnerable user". But I don't think it covers ducks.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-30-13, 04:45 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
One indication of a potential murderer is cruelty to animals.
Old 12-30-13, 06:01 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I think some of this is a bit overblown, Yes deliberately running over animals is not a good sign... BUT, I would not jam on the brakes or swerve across the centre line or towards the ditch endangering myself and others in the car or other cars around me to try and miss some wildlife...

EDIT; Now before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I did say deliberately...

Last edited by 350htrr; 12-30-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 06:40 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I think some of this is a bit overblown, Yes deliberately running over animals is not a good sign... BUT, I would not jam on the brakes or swerve across the centre line or towards the ditch endangering myself and others in the car or other cars around me to try and miss some wildlife...

EDIT; Now before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I did say deliberately...
I drive... a lot. I do my best to avoid hitting animals, even slowing or coming to a stop, if feasible. I do agree that cars are wreaking carnage, 1.27 million human fatalities every year, not to mention the collateral damage caused by air pollution and injuries. If it comes down to me wrecking the car or hitting an animal the animal will lose, but I am of the opinion that if people paid a lot more attention to their driving the number could be reduced.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-30-13, 06:52 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
There's a special place in hell...
He'll have ducks in his nightmares...

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-30-13, 07:38 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Same here, and any sane person would say the same. But this guy was acting out a fairly obvious narcissistic rage: "how dare these damn ducks get in my way when I'm trying to do something important!" I bet anything that friends and associates would report other rage episodes when he perceived that somebody was obstructing or impeding his progress.

Unfortunately, similarly motivated behavior is common. You all have seen this before, when riding your bikes on a busy road--the honks, the middle fingers, the close passes....

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-30-13, 08:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
It's just that if he shot the ducks with a gun, he would be prosecuted for something.
Only if the ducks are out of season.
Old 12-30-13, 08:41 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Just because you don't know those ducks names doesn't mean they don't HAVE names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Way_for_Ducklings
Old 12-30-13, 09:36 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

The person who taught me to drive commercial trucks insisted that, "If it has skin, feathers, fur or scales, don't risk yourself or the rig to avoid it." He clarified that this meant that I should cast my vision wide and far to anticipate where these hazards would come from and take appropriate preventative actions before the fecal matter hit the whirling blades.
Old 12-30-13, 10:03 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Since this is a cycling forum, I will confess that I live in mortal fear of running over a squirrel.
Old 12-30-13, 10:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Just because you don't know those ducks names doesn't mean they don't HAVE names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Way_for_Ducklings
I know their names, Donald, Daisy, Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, and Louie.
Old 12-30-13, 11:08 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by gerv
Since this is a cycling forum, I will confess that I live in mortal fear of running over a squirrel.
I hit a chipmunk with my pedal. It got flicked through the frame and ran away when it hit the ground. A doe once blocked the single track; I had to wait there while she hissed at me for a couple minutes. Canada geese will also chase the bike at certain times of the year, if you're going slow.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-30-13, 11:09 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I know their names, Donald, Daisy, Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, and Louie.
What about Daffy?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-31-13, 12:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
What about Daffy?
I know of a couple of BF quackers that could be described as Daffy.
Old 12-31-13, 01:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
...fear of running over a squirrel.
Squirrelacide: When your ridding and just barely avoid a squirrel with your front wheel only to have him turn and bolt back under your rear wheel to skid across the road only to jump up and run in between the wheels of the guy following you...

Luckily it was only an attempt...
Old 12-31-13, 01:18 AM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In November I was driving a bus and saw a deer running across a field. Her path would have taken her in front of me. Fortunately I saw her in time and honked the horn. It spooked her and she turned around and ran the other way.

I've killed tens of thousands of bugs while driving. I might have killed smaller things crawling on the ground but I couldn't see those. Twice birds have flown directly in front of my car and were killed.

I have seen at lest two photos of squirrels killed by jumping into bicycle front wheels.

This make me wish that all high speed roadways were elevated so that wildlife wouldn't be killed by cars.

There is a video of a super car on a track passing over a squirrel. The front spoiler chops off part of the tail of the animal because it was traveling over 100 miles per hour at the time. It was an instant amputation. The squirrel ran off. Look up Go Squirrel Go on Youtube.
Old 12-31-13, 02:25 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
In November I was driving a bus and saw a deer running across a field. Her path would have taken her in front of me. Fortunately I saw her in time and honked the horn. It spooked her and she turned around and ran the other way.

I've killed tens of thousands of bugs while driving. I might have killed smaller things crawling on the ground but I couldn't see those. Twice birds have flown directly in front of my car and were killed.

I have seen at lest two photos of squirrels killed by jumping into bicycle front wheels.

This make me wish that all high speed roadways were elevated so that wildlife wouldn't be killed by cars.

There is a video of a super car on a track passing over a squirrel. The front spoiler chops off part of the tail of the animal because it was traveling over 100 miles per hour at the time. It was an instant amputation. The squirrel ran off. Look up Go Squirrel Go on Youtube.
More enlightened countries already have tunnels or overpasses crossing roads specifically to provide wildlife corridors. Highways in the Canadian Rockies are fully fenced and have flyovers connecting either side. Highways in Australia have fences and tunnels under the roadway.

Admittedly, these features are to protect drivers from, say, moose, deer and bear in Canada, and kangaroos and wombats in Australia. But they serve the dual function of removing the risks for both motorists and wildlife.

Does a human being qualify as the wildlife you would prefer hitting instead of endangering yourself?

You see, if you can't drive with the wherewithall to avoid the wildlife, you either aren't paying attention or are not driving to the conditions. A kid running out on the road could just as well be a deer or vice versa...

Shock horror about this, but I do agree with Ekdog's sentiments in his OP. I am always amazed how people get all twisted up about cruelty to animals such as dogs and cats because they are pets, but wildlife is fair game for running over with a motor vehicle.
Old 12-31-13, 07:05 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
In all my years of riding I can only think of one incident where I was involved with hitting an animal... we were racing in a criterium and a dog walked out right in front of the pack I was in, front rider went down along with most of the rest of us. The got up and walked away, several of us went to the hospital. One thing about squirrels and other wildlife is when they are threatened they go into an automatic panic mode which doesn't always get them out of harms way.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-31-13, 07:53 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That happened to me few years ago when I was riding along an MUP in a wooded area. A squirrel came out of the bushes and ran into my front wheel, impossible to avoid hitting it. Rode over it with both front and rear wheels.
Old 12-31-13, 10:32 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Does a human being qualify as the wildlife you would prefer hitting instead of endangering yourself?
I see someone got their panties in a bunch... Jumping from running over wildlife acedentally, to running over humans on purpose is a big jump. I didn't say I would do nothing to avoid hitting the animal, what I said was, I wouldn't over react to avoid hitting the animal and endangering myself and others...

Last edited by 350htrr; 12-31-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-31-13, 12:00 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I don't know, road kill seems like a pretty minor issue compared to pollution and 'development' that can terminate entire ecosystems. It's unfortunate that animals are accidentally killed by cars (or bicycles - I've run over a snake before, not intentionally), and despicable when drivers intentionally kill animals with their cars (wanton cruelty), but on the positive side we're not deliberately trying to destroy animal populations to make way for our machines anymore; e.g. the slaughter of bison to make way for railroads in the 19th century.

For the record, I like ducks, I had one for Christmas dinner.

Last edited by lasauge; 12-31-13 at 02:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.