Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looking for vehicle to carry 2 bikes on long road trip

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 10:47 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey 50+ gang! It's been a while since I stopped in here.

We are planning to take our bikes on a long road trip around the US. We are planning to replace our old small pick-up with a new vehicle that can carry our luggage + 2 road bikes standing inside the vehicle. My husband rides a 62cm Trek Madone - with the front wheel removed, it stands 40" to the top of the seat.

He is looking at the Dodge Caravan.

What other options might we consider to carry the bikes standing up with only the front wheels removed?
Old 05-23-14, 11:21 AM
Dellphinus

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can fit ours and our luggage in our Sienna, with ease. We did that for a while, then put on a hitch rack and quick release seat post clamps. Much more convenient. Cable lock to keep bikes on rack (all the time), and cable lock to keep wheels on bikes(in sketchy areas). Seats come inside when it's raining.
Old 05-23-14, 11:25 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dellphinus
We can fit ours and our luggage in our Sienna, with ease. We did that for a while, then put on a hitch rack and quick release seat post clamps. Much more convenient. Cable lock to keep bikes on rack (all the time), and cable lock to keep wheels on bikes(in sketchy areas). Seats come inside when it's raining.
Thank you. We have a hitch and rack we like on our sedan, and always use a U-lock --- we'll keep those and the sedan. But for a long road trip, we want to carry the bikes inside to hide them during the many stops we'll make along the way.
Old 05-23-14, 11:36 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can find one, several in our bike club love the Honda Element. Other choices are Toyota Highlander and the Ford Escape.
Old 05-23-14, 11:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that you're smart to measure the vertical clearance inside the vehicle. Some SUVs, that seem pretty big, don't have the necessary vertical height to hold bikes upright. To my surprise, PT cruisers, with the back seat removed, will hold road bikes vertically. I think that it's pretty hard to beat the convenience of a mini van for hauling bikes. Chrysler's stow-n-go seats get a special mention. You can force fit bicycles into almost anything (as you are likely about to hear) but I prefer to travel with some degree of style and convenience.

Mrs. Grouch and I chose a Honda Element partially because our garage is on the short side front-to-back and, while most minivans will make it, the fit is too close for comfort. Our two Kettweisel tricycles (The Redundant Recumbent) will fit inside the Element along with a week's clothing and gear. It only takes us 5 minutes to collapse and load them both.
Old 05-23-14, 12:28 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

Here's a Ford Transit set up to do what you want. Search the forums for Ford Transit, I think others may have used the same vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
med_gallery_812_47_765531.jpg (47.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-23-14, 12:34 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Most all manufacturers' websites will list the inside dimensions on a vehicle that is used primarily or secondarily to carry cargo. Personally, I have a Chevy Silverado pickup with a Lear cap on the bed.

Old 05-23-14, 12:40 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Another vote for the Honda Element. I've got both rear seats removed in mine, they come in and out very easily.
Old 05-23-14, 01:00 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Mazda5

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/v.../950687224001/
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-23-14, 03:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rather than buy for a single trip, rent a U-Haul . van ..

mercedes-chrysler collaboration made the Diesel engined Sprinter van ..

Local newspaper has one and for its size, it is taller so you can stand up . the fuel economy is great.
Old 05-23-14, 04:31 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a all wheel drive Chevy Astro van which i like,however they don't make any more.Being in S. Cal you should be able to find a nice used one.
Old 05-23-14, 05:37 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4

Here's a Ford Transit set up to do what you want. Search the forums for Ford Transit, I think others may have used the same vehicle.
This van actually belonged to friends of ours and the reason we bought ours. This one holds three bikes and since this photo was taken, a lot more was added to it. It's a 2010 Van and ours is a 2012 Wagon (has rear seats). These have more room than you can ask for.

They recently traded it for a Nissan Quest because his wife didn't like the seats on long trips. The seats in ours are different and are very comfortable.

The 2014 model is about a foot shorter in height and if you get the wagon, it makes it harder to get the bikes in.

Our van with my wife's old trike and my bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (93.0 KB, 44 views)

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-23-14, 05:43 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4

That is the perfect bicyclist road transport vehicle.
Old 05-23-14, 07:07 PM
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote here for the Honda Element.
There's tons of room, the gas milage is ok, they handle well (except when it's really windy), they look big, but they fit into small spaces.
On short trips with no extra luggage, I fold one of the seats up against the side & just roll both bikes in - the front wheels have to be turned to close the back. On longer trips w/all our gear & luggage, I take both seats out, take the front wheels off the bikes and pile all our stuff in.
Old 05-23-14, 07:25 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
My father-in-law has a Dodge Caravan. We did a 17,000km return sweep north-south from Vancouver Canada to Florida and back again with it a couple of years ago. It has easily removable seats, and the bikes went in there without taking the wheels off. All the gear we carried went in there, too. Respectable power, gas consumption and comfort.

Having said that, if I could afford one, a Honda van in similar configuration to the Caravan would be my option. Hondas have an excellent reliability reputation, excellent finish, and overall excellent engineering. They also hold their resale value well, judging from the used car ads.

Our current vehicle at home in Australia is a Mitsubishi L400 van, similar to the Transit but with four-wheel-drive. It hold up to four bikes standing with front wheels on, plus other gear. It also takes the tandem with front wheel off, and angled across the rear.

Our buying decisions for vehicles these days is based on whether they will take the tandem inside. We very rarely put bikes outside -- in fact, the one and only time was when I put four bikes on the back (and two inside) when we moved interstate last September.
Old 05-23-14, 07:25 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
We love our year-old Mazda5 but am not sure about a safety bike carried upright inside...maybe?....worth checking out.
I know my recumbents only fit on their sides inside and our tandem 'bent travels on a roof rack - as does the long single 'bent most of the time. Our previous Mazda MPV was much better at carrying bikes inside, including tandems and a long wheelbase recumbent.
Old 05-24-14, 12:24 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Older minivans fit the bill for cheap, but gas mileage is poor. Ford Windstar minivan - this vehicle took 3 guys with 4 bikes (inside and upright) on several week long bike/camp/drive trips. I admit that our personal gear was in a covered roof top carrier. If it rained, well then 2 guys slept in the van with the 3rd guy in a single tent (sheltered under the tailgate), with the bikes covered by a tarp. Adventuresome, and eminently memorable.

edit: The Sprinter and Transit vans look to be ideal. But for a single trip, the rent-a-truck sounds cost effective.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-24-14 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-24-14, 05:37 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Rather than buy for a single trip, rent a U-Haul . van ..

mercedes-chrysler collaboration made the Diesel engined Sprinter van ..

Local newspaper has one and for its size, it is taller so you can stand up . the fuel economy is great.
That's an interesting thing: my Toyota dealer will rent as well. I just tell them the time period and I can rent it. Beats buying a new car.
Old 05-24-14, 12:58 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph
Most all manufacturers' websites will list the inside dimensions on a vehicle that is used primarily or secondarily to carry cargo. Personally, I have a Chevy Silverado pickup with a Lear cap on the bed.
I've been looking for that for the Prius v Wagon, and I don't see it on the Toyota eBrochure.
Old 05-24-14, 01:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

We are planning to take our bikes on a long road trip around the US. We are planning to replace our old small pick-up with a new vehicle that can carry our luggage + 2 road bikes standing inside the vehicle. My husband rides a 62cm Trek Madone - with the front wheel removed, it stands 40" to the top of the seat.

What other options might we consider to carry the bikes standing up with only the front wheels removed?
Yen, I assume this means health is back in the plus side, for both of you?

Any chance you'll be in Michigan on July 12? Could do One Helluva Ride with us (Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society - One Helluva Ride!)! It's turned into an Ohio/Michigan mini-50+ Meet.
Old 05-24-14, 01:10 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honda Odyssey. I love mine and though we carry our bikes on a hitch-mounted rack, they'll fit inside if necessary.
Old 05-24-14, 04:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Since it's just the two of you, just about any minivan or SUV is fine. The short bed of most SUVs will mean front wheels off, but that shouldn't be a turn off. You can make a very nice in the van bike carrier with a 2x4 and 2 front fork mounts. Th luggage can go to the side and provide better stability.

If you want to sleep in the van from time to time, there are a few nice systems out there that can allow you to open the hatch and convert the van into a tent with decent ventilation. Add some air mattresses, and other creature comforts, and you can cut the motel bill in half this way.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-25-14, 12:55 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

For your stated/intended road trip use nothing beats a full size van for carry room.

Oh yes, save big money for this trip by RENTING A VAN to not go in debt just for one long trip.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 05-25-14, 01:41 PM
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a 2005 Honda CRV the bikes fit inside with wheels on. Not sure if the new CRV will or not ours had the tire on outside. They moved the tire off the back this might have raised the floor. What we did was take our bikes to the Honda dealer and told them we had no interest in a test drive until
we first test loaded the bikes
Old 05-26-14, 03:32 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of full sized vans, i was kinda looking around for a future replacement for my chevy Asto. So i wondered if any one did the van conversion thing like what was so big in the 70s. Could not find much at all around town or online.I like alot of the suggestions here,but you really cannot beat a van for bicycles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.