Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Step-Through?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Step-Through?

Old 07-16-14, 06:13 AM
BGBeck

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Sports Trek 8.4 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Step-Through?

Last edited by BGBeck; 07-29-14 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-16-14, 06:48 AM
b2run

Bikes: KHS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hybrid. The bar is not as high as a road bike and not as low as the traditional girls bike. It also has slightly wider tires than a road bike so I can do some trails or rough roads easier.
Old 07-16-14, 08:06 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 47 Posts
Here is my city bike.
A Soma Buena Vista Mixte I built with a Nuvinci Hub. I love it, commute on it, do all my errands around town on it.
Google Mixte for men, you'll find some interesting stuff about them.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140526_132930.jpg (101.8 KB, 663 views)
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 07-17-14, 09:47 PM
streetstomper

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Consider an Electra Townie or Day 6 step-through. In addition to being easy to mount and dismount, you can put both feet down on the ground without getting off the saddle, great during an unexpected stop. A RANS Fusion ST would be even better, but probably way more money than you want to spend, unless you can find a good deal on Craigslist, but most people like RANS crank forward bikes so much that they don't want to part with them. They're also more comfortable than regular bikes. At some point in life, one realizes that there's really no point in suffering if comfort is easy to attain. Some people believe recumbents are more comfortable, but the one problem most recumbents have is they can be difficult to hold up when stopped since the thighs are horizontal, and they can be hard to get on and off as well.
Old 07-18-14, 01:18 AM
Berta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Lots of good options, and I too like to keep an eye out for alternatives in the event that my needs change and I'm determined to keep riding. In the event that you choose a step-through and need to use a bike rack on your car, there are inexpensive bar adapters for this.

I love the versatility, utility and elegance of a mixte, and the Soma Buena Vista is particularly good looking example. I considered one for myself, but I ended up liking the feel of a mtb more.
Old 07-18-14, 05:39 AM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I keep thinking my next bike might be a step through as well. Though I read they aren't as strong as a standard diamond frame.
Old 07-18-14, 05:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm missing something here -- how will having a step-through prevent you from breaking something? Is the problem with getting on and off? Or are you looking for a lower seat position, too? Here's one that combines both: RANS Fusion ST.

Old 07-18-14, 06:37 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I have finished rides where I felt like I didn't have enough energy left to dismount. I just lay the bike over at an angle and step off. I just can't bring myself to do the step through.
Old 07-18-14, 06:23 PM
streetstomper

Originally Posted by BGBeck
Gettimg on and off is the primary issue. As far as RANS.....$1700 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's why I suggested an Electra Townie or Day 6 earlier when I mentioned the RANS. Similar crank forward, low saddle design although not as good performance and the Electra has more of a "girl's bike" look, but at a fraction of the price.

Attached Images
181229.jpg (85.0 KB, 388 views)
Old 07-18-14, 06:39 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I've been riding a drop frame Kettler Silverstar for 13 years and 50,000 miles. It makes the same sort of sense as driving a car with doors that open.
Old 07-18-14, 07:15 PM
Cognitive

Bikes: Specialized Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Specialized Expedition medium sized frame and have no issues with the bar. The bar is quite low. My wife has tried it a few times and had no issues also. Both of us are 5 feet somethings.
Old 07-19-14, 07:52 AM
streetstomper

Originally Posted by linnefaulk
I keep thinking my next bike might be a step through as well. Though I read they aren't as strong as a standard diamond frame.
A decent frame will be plenty strong. They're not as stiff as diamond frames, but unless you're racing, you probably won't even notice. In fact, less stiffness might be a good thing. Without the top tube bracing the frame, you might get a bit more compliance over bumps, which might give a slightly more comfortable ride. Mixte frames like Irwin mentioned in the second post can give the best of both worlds. They're laterally a bit stiffer than step-through frames because of the twin lateral stays but still have the increased vertical compliance from the lack of top tube. The disadvantage of a mixte is the lateral stays generally don't dip as low as a step-through.
Old 07-19-14, 08:03 AM
linnefaulk

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
A decent frame will be plenty strong. They're not as stiff as diamond frames, but unless you're racing, you probably won't even notice. In fact, less stiffness might be a good thing. Without the top tube bracing the frame, you might get a bit more compliance over bumps, which might give a slightly more comfortable ride. Mixte frames like Irwin mentioned in the second post can give the best of both worlds. They're laterally a bit stiffer than step-through frames because of the twin lateral stays but still have the increased vertical compliance from the lack of top tube. The disadvantage of a mixte is the lateral stays generally don't dip as low as a step-through.
Thanks. I will look at those.
Old 07-19-14, 08:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My Bike Friday and Brompton are both, in effect, step through bikes ..
Old 07-20-14, 01:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Getting on and off is the primary issue. As far as RANS.....$1700 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Electra is a lot cheaper, but ... it's a lot cheaper. RANS is the premier crank-forward maker. The others are imperfect adaptations of old '50s cruisers. Heck, the fancy Townies even come with modern 7-speed freewheels. A 15-second test ride would demonstrate the difference between the two brands.
Old 07-20-14, 02:33 PM
streetstomper

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The Electra is a lot cheaper, but ... it's a lot cheaper. RANS is the premier crank-forward maker. The others are imperfect adaptations of old '50s cruisers. Heck, the fancy Townies even come with modern 7-speed freewheels. A 15-second test ride would demonstrate the difference between the two brands.
Let's be serious. It's obvious from his original post that money is an issue. He currently has a $500 bike and asked how much he could get for it. That's not the mark of someone with money to burn on a bike. I don't understand why you insist on pushing a bike he can't afford. I own a RANS too, but I'm willing to accept that many people won't want to or can't shell out big bucks. Not everyone needs a five-figure stable like you or would want one even if they could afford it. Some are well served by a single moderately priced bike, especially if they're not racers. An attitude of "either buy the good stuff or go home" doesn't get more people interested in cycling.
Old 07-20-14, 03:39 PM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by streetstomper
Let's be serious. It's obvious from his original post that money is an issue. He currently has a $500 bike and asked how much he could get for it. That's not the mark of someone with money to burn on a bike. I don't understand why you insist on pushing a bike he can't afford. I own a RANS too, but I'm willing to accept that many people won't want to or can't shell out big bucks. Not everyone needs a five-figure stable like you or would want one even if they could afford it. Some are well served by a single moderately priced bike, especially if they're not racers. An attitude of "either buy the good stuff or go home" doesn't get more people interested in cycling.
Agree completely.
Old 07-20-14, 03:50 PM
redbaybound

Bikes: 1998 Canondale Killer V 700, 1984 Nishiki Custom Sport, 1976 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband just bought an Electra Amsterdam just like this one and is very happy with it. The top tube is higher than the Ladies version but he finds it easy to dismount. The relaxed geometry and upright seating position is good for his back and neck. Considering the only thing he has ridden in the last 10 years is a couch - I don't care that this bike is cheap - it has gotten him off his butt and back in the saddle. He bikes between 5 and 10 miles on this and is very comfortable.
Old 07-20-14, 05:22 PM
linnefaulk

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Beautiful bike. (Though I just don't understand the skirt guard on a man's bike.)
Old 07-20-14, 06:49 PM
redbaybound

Bikes: 1998 Canondale Killer V 700, 1984 Nishiki Custom Sport, 1976 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kilt wearing of course!
Old 07-20-14, 07:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Okay, I can consider myself properly chastised.
Old 07-20-14, 11:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Of late I've been having some issues mounting and dismounting my Trek DS 8.2. So far I've avoided any serious damage to me or the bike. After reading The Upright Cyclist, I've started thinking of selling the Trek and getting a step through frame to replace it. My riding is casual, exercise/errand type riding around town. The old "girl's bike" mentality comes to mind, but breaking something again as I did when I was twelve doesn't appeal to me at almost sixty. Any thoughts on this? Any bike suggestions? Any idea what a 2012 Trek DS 8.2 might be worth?
Bikes I bought for my daughters while living in Germany. The red one is a Calvin 3 speed built by Bria in Germany. I still ride it now and then. The purple one is seven speed also bought in Germany. Neither bike cost more than $500. Excellent sturdy and comfortable bike geometry. Built for comfort not speed, perfect for in town casual riding, easy to mount/dismount. Probably not suitable for the need-for-speed, bike snob or long distance cognoscenti .
Attached Images
ZeroSeven3.jpg (104.6 KB, 199 views)
CalvinBike.JPG (70.5 KB, 204 views)
Old 07-21-14, 03:53 AM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I took my wife to the LBS to look for replacement fenders for her cheap box store cruiser on the weekend. She spotted this midnight blue satin finished Electra and was intrigued. One lap around the large parking lot and I knew she was sold. Two more laps and I was wondering if she would get off the bike long enough to make the purchase. Been riding all weekend. Still waiting on my turn to try it out. She is raving about the comfort.

Old 07-21-14, 04:11 AM
Beic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
My Bike Friday and Brompton are both, in effect, step through bikes ..
Not quite in your league , but my Dawes (UK ) Jack folder and my Raleigh Twenty could be classed as step throughs.

Last edited by Beic; 07-21-14 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 05:18 AM
linnefaulk

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redbaybound
Kilt wearing of course!
The only men I have seen wearing kilts were more apt to jump on a horse than a bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.