Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

When Your Ship Comes In...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

When Your Ship Comes In...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 11:39 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I guess people here are not used to seeing wealthier people that ride.

I know many couples travel to different countries rides a lot more 120miles a day. Also, the same people are fine with spending $5000 per night on Cayman Island.

Don't judge because you can't afford what others can afford.
Old 07-21-18, 12:13 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But this is Portland to Portland. Starting and ending in cities with the same name justifies the slightly higher price tag. Far greater bragging rights than the Bay City to Bean Town.
Also I think Portland OR is much more well known than Portland ME so when one casually announces that one has rode "Portland to Portland" there will be a priceless moment when the bragee (?) realizes it was cross-USA.

The trip is expensive but I can see the appeal for wealthy middle-aged types who keep fit & do some biking but aren't hard-core enthusiasts. Route & logistics are taken care of, saving much research time/hassle/uncertainty but ride is still challenging. I like the northern route plus with all the climbing the light bike w/no luggage would be fun.

Some things aren't clear: allowed to use one's own bike? Cut-off time for stragglers? Do they send one home if one uses the sag wagon too much? Trek wants to promote the Domane but I think the carbon Trek Checkpoint SL 6 would be more appropriate: very light but permits fenders & rack if desired.
Old 07-21-18, 03:38 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
As F. Scott Fitzgerald is reported to have said: "The rich are very different from you and me."

To which Hemingway is supposed to have replied: "Yes, they have more money."
Old 07-21-18, 10:44 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
On a Trek Domane, you say? Wow. That'll really impress them in heaven.

"And how was the scenery?"
"What scenery?"
Old 07-21-18, 11:16 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But how far would that take you on the Katy Trail?
I think a $17 000 tour on the Katy would be the ultimate.
Old 07-21-18, 06:11 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
What percent does this belong to? Top 10%? Top 1%? I don't know and I don't care. Actually I haven't even thoroughly read the details...only skimmed for the basic details. Because this is overpriced beyond reason, affordable by vast minority only, then I'm sorry for being uninspired, uninterested and basically unsympathetic.

Originally Posted by linus

I know many couples travel to different countries rides a lot more 120miles a day. Also, the same people are fine with spending $5000 per night on Cayman Island.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 07-21-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 03:53 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

It's interesting to see how bicycle touring has become , for a few, an upscale thing. Before and after WWII, in Europe cycle touring was a way for people with modest incomes to travel and take advantage of their newly acquired right to a vacation . Later, in the US there were AYH tours, then the guided self supported Bikecentennial rides. Of course a lot of individuals managed to find their way across the US without a guide. Now we have the 17,000 dollar tour. But then there are worse ways to dispose of your money.
Old 07-22-18, 04:20 AM
raria

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah

I think they'll have many drop outs. 100+ miles a day 40+ days will kill most on a non fitted bike (even if it is a domane.

Do they pedal for you?

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Here is a question. How many people that can afford $17K + for a tour can do 126 miles in a day, even if it is only one day?
Old 07-22-18, 04:26 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nah, just not stupid

I have the money (as do most people here at 55+) and I love the US.

But 47 days in the US is going to get boring quick.

17k will get you a great tour of Europe airfares included for routes designed for bicyling tourism.

Originally Posted by linus

Old 07-22-18, 04:35 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
This is perfect for trekmogul.

What a fabulous way to burn money!
Old 07-22-18, 05:10 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
I think they'll have many drop outs. 100+ miles a day 40+ days will kill most on a non fitted bike (even if it is a domane.

Do they pedal for you?
from their site: "your shortest day will be 37 miles and the longest, 126 miles. You'll have 16 days at 100 miles or more and four rest days."

but wait! there's more! you can "Upgrade your bike to include carbon wheels (+$200)"

drop outs? you're assuming they ever actually run this tour. next one coming up in august still has slots available. but really, if they get just one sucker with a rich brother-in-law willing to write a check they'll make a profit.
Old 07-22-18, 07:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts

Do they pedal for you?
I suspect no dropouts unless injury related.

Anyone that has that much money to spend on a trip like that and the available time for it is going to be fit and excited to do it. I would be quite surprised if anyone that has never ridden 100 miles in a day signs up. I bet every body shows up with their favorite shorts and shoes, 4 or 5 bike jerseys from exotic trips or events, maybe even brings their favorite pedals and saddle along.

I have done mostly loaded touring with a friend or solo. But I have done two van supported trips, the van hauled our luggage, food, etc. And I have done two week long guided bike trips in Europe where the bikes were provided. None of those trips had a 100 mile day, but of all of those trips, only one person dropped out on one trip. The one that dropped out surprised us all because we thought she was doing fine, but on the first day she finished the day and decided it was tougher than she wanted to do.

One of my Europe trips, someone blew out her knee. She was a Nurse Practitioner, she could describe in correct anatomical terms exactly what was wrong. But she keep riding, but switched to a high cadence low torque and low speed mode.
Old 07-22-18, 09:18 AM
ironwood

What might be fun would be to ride along with them on an old bike, dressed like a homeless person.
Old 07-22-18, 10:31 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
What might be fun would be to ride along with them on an old bike, dressed like a homeless person.
Last year, my friends & I had just finished our self-organized tour in the Dordogne & Lot valleys in SW France. We were walking our bikes into the Bordeaux train station, and we passed a group of about 10 cyclists who had just arrived. We overheard they were going on a deluxe 5 day tour with a high-end American outfitter. They were all impeccably dressed and had an insane amount of luggage for their mini-tour. All of them completely ignored us as we walked right past them with our bikes & panniers. I looked up the price later. I think they were paying about $800/day.
= = = = = = = = = =
The son of a friend of mine was a Trek tour guide, and was a guide on at least 2 of their cross-country rides. His parents told me that he said it was a lot of work for the 40+ day trip, having to constantly cater to every whim of the participants, with no time off. He received about $10,000 in tips after each cross-country trip.
Old 07-22-18, 10:39 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
if you wanna do it right, ya gotta rent a limo. for 47 days you wanna be pacing alongside the riders....

Old 07-22-18, 11:50 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

I had a friend who worked as a "guide" for a high end Canadian bicycle tour company, operating in France. She got the job because she could speak French fluently and could ride a bike. She didnt have to know how to fix bikes or anything about navigation. There were other people for that. She ended up developing a taste for expensive French wines.
Overall it was a great summer job for a student.

I have a feeling the kind of people who take those kinds of trips wouldn't be that fun to hang out with, but maybe thats just sour grapes on my part. If any of you guys participate, please do a post trip write up.
Old 07-22-18, 03:47 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
I have a feeling the kind of people who take those kinds of trips wouldn't be that fun to hang out with...
I'm somewhat amused by some of the reactions some have towards this trip and their assumptions about people on it.

While it is not for me and it seems to be priced on the high end compared to other supported rides (e.g. America by Bike is $13K single and Cycle America is $7.5k) I can also understand why some might take a supported ride like this. It isn't for the cost as many can easily point out, going self-supported is going to cut the costs a lot more than any of these supported rides. I also don't think it is for the snobbery as some of the posts seem to imply.

There is a set of tradeoffs involved and a trip like this is going to handle a lot of the logistics for you. So you need to show up and ride. Someone else will have worked out routes, directions and worried about those logistics of having lodging and food available. I expect most will ride almost all the time, but you also have the security of knowing there is a backup if something happens. I also expect this group might provide some structure for training and packing suggestions.

Now for a lot of folks, the planning, the logistics, the unexpected and the flexibility are all part of the experience - and paying someone a large sum of $$ to do this is the worst of all possible worlds. The fixed schedule also makes it tougher to adapt to weather or similar circumstances (e.g. that rainy day or fierce headwind day that a self-supported rider might make a shorter distance or rest day - is still a riding day where one rides or takes a van part of the way). So I get the reason why this ride is absolutely not the right choice for most in this group. I get that and have done my own self-supported "Portland to Portland" ride.

However, I also expect I'll have more in common with folks doing this ride than some spending a similar amount on an extended ocean cruise vacation.
Old 07-23-18, 09:49 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by mev
I'm somewhat amused by some of the reactions some have towards this trip and their assumptions about people on it.

While it is not for me and it seems to be priced on the high end compared to other supported rides (e.g. America by Bike is $13K single and Cycle America is $7.5k) I can also understand why some might take a supported ride like this. It isn't for the cost as many can easily point out, going self-supported is going to cut the costs a lot more than any of these supported rides. I also don't think it is for the snobbery as some of the posts seem to imply.

There is a set of tradeoffs involved and a trip like this is going to handle a lot of the logistics for you. So you need to show up and ride. Someone else will have worked out routes, directions and worried about those logistics of having lodging and food available. I expect most will ride almost all the time, but you also have the security of knowing there is a backup if something happens. I also expect this group might provide some structure for training and packing suggestions.

Now for a lot of folks, the planning, the logistics, the unexpected and the flexibility are all part of the experience - and paying someone a large sum of $$ to do this is the worst of all possible worlds. The fixed schedule also makes it tougher to adapt to weather or similar circumstances (e.g. that rainy day or fierce headwind day that a self-supported rider might make a shorter distance or rest day - is still a riding day where one rides or takes a van part of the way). So I get the reason why this ride is absolutely not the right choice for most in this group. I get that and have done my own self-supported "Portland to Portland" ride.

However, I also expect I'll have more in common with folks doing this ride than some spending a similar amount on an extended ocean cruise vacation.
I could see the appeal for a wealthy international who wasn't esp fluent in English or familiar with American travel. Trek is well-known internationally as a quality bike, perhaps some folks might trust their tours more than those run by an unfamiliar company. & I also don't get the appeal of ocean cruises/all-inclusive Cancun/Carib resorts etc, seems very passive & boring. I read that some cruises cost over $1,000/day, makes the Trek trip look like a bargain
Old 07-24-18, 05:40 AM
ironwood

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I could see the appeal for a wealthy international who wasn't esp fluent in English or familiar with American travel. Trek is well-known internationally as a quality bike, perhaps some folks might trust their tours more than those run by an unfamiliar company. & I also don't get the appeal of ocean cruises/all-inclusive Cancun/Carib resorts etc, seems very passive & boring. I read that some cruises cost over $1,000/day, makes the Trek trip look like a bargain
Most "wealthy internationals" are fluent in English. However , based on a few encounters with American guided tours in Europe, the Americans seem to be monolingual and don't interact much with the local people, or even other cycletourists.

The Trek trip is for road riders who want to cross the US unencumbered by racks, baggage etc.
Old 07-24-18, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Fo' shizzle!
Old 07-24-18, 08:06 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

I've been on a couple of guided, supported trips outside of North America. Many of the people are experienced, skilled riders who sinply don't want to deal with the logistics
and hassles of organizing their own tour. There is a tendency, as the price goes up and more luxurious extras are added, to attract people who expect to be looked after and coddled and have things provided to them without putting out any effort. They are not always the most pleasant riding companions.

This particular tour has a fairly ambitious goal, so I expect it would attract competent motivated riders.

To each his own, I certainly wouldn't fault anybody for taking this tour, and good luck to them.
Old 07-24-18, 05:11 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I have the money (as do most people here at 55+) and I love the US.

But 47 days in the US is going to get boring quick.

17k will get you a great tour of Europe airfares included for routes designed for bicyling tourism.
Where on earth do you get your information??

1 in 3 Americans Has No Retirement Savings | Money

No "most" people 55+ certainly do not have $17K to blow on a bicycle tour. Most people nearing retirement age have nothing to not more than a few thousand dollars saved for retirement.

At 59 I am one of the exceptions. I am pretty much set but no way could I justify spending that kind of cash on a single trip.
Old 07-24-18, 08:10 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Note i said "here"

If you read my quote i said "here" meaning on this board.

After all the context of the discussion is a bike tour. My point was that quite a few people here could afford a 17k bike tour but we have better sense and taste!

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Where on earth do you get your information??

1 in 3 Americans Has No Retirement Savings | Money

No "most" people 55+ certainly do not have $17K to blow on a bicycle tour. Most people nearing retirement age have nothing to not more than a few thousand dollars saved for retirement.

At 59 I am one of the exceptions. I am pretty much set but no way could I justify spending that kind of cash on a single trip.
Old 07-24-18, 09:04 PM
DropBarFan

Most "wealthy internationals" are fluent in English. However , based on a few encounters with American guided tours in Europe, the Americans seem to be monolingual and don't interact much with the local people, or even other cycletourists.

The Trek trip is for road riders who want to cross the US unencumbered by racks, baggage etc.
I should have written "non-Americans" since I suppose "internationals" suggests folks who have worked overseas where English would be necessary. OTOH there have to be a significant number of folks, business owners for instance, who never had much need for English fluency. I've met French bike tourists in DC that didn't speak much English & weren't interested in chatting because my French is terrible. I read an article once that claimed this was because French schools are very strict in teaching French grammar & thus folks are conditioned to get nervous if they have to speak in a foreign language that they're not fluent in. I agree that Americans are pretty bad about trying to communicate in foreign travel. I've traveled with folks who don't even bother to learn a single word, sheer laziness.
Old 07-25-18, 07:39 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
If you read my quote i said "here" meaning on this board.

After all the context of the discussion is a bike tour. My point was that quite a few people here could afford a 17k bike tour but we have better sense and taste!
Actually you are still wrong. There are people on this forum that don't own a home.

And what makes you think the financial make up of the forum is any different from the whole of the US?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.