Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Front light with hook?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Front light with hook?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-24, 09:24 AM
Pearson100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Front light with hook?

Are there any companies that make a front light with a hook? My handlebar bag precludes mounting a light on the handlebar but the bag does have daisy-chain webbing in front. I could put a light there if the light had a hook similar to my Cygolite rear lights.
Thanks.
Old 04-25-24, 10:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked 11,086 Times in 4,737 Posts
Most handlebar bags tend to move around a bit as you are riding, which makes them less-than-ideal mounting points for headlights which need to be aimed properly. So, even if you find a headlight that attaches to a handlebar bag, you should ensure that it won't be bouncing around as you ride.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-25-24, 10:28 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 278 Posts
Send pictures of your bicycle. You could mount off of the fork crown or off the front rack or even on the handlebar with a tall mount to go over the handlebar bag.
Likes For Rick:
Old 04-25-24, 11:35 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 455 Posts
If your fork crown has a hole I would consider mounting there, or failing that, on your helmet.
Old 04-25-24, 07:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,148 Posts
If it is a light to make you more visible to others, such a hook may work. But if your headlight needs to be aimed properly, a hook on fabric strap might not be ideal.

I think the front wheel axle is too low for a good mounting point, but that may be better than a light on a fabric strap. They make light mounts that thread onto a skewer. But fork crown height as mentioned by Yan is better than axle height.
Old 04-26-24, 06:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
It sounds like we’re talking about a “hook” as in what is commonly called a clip, as in a belt clip.

If I have that right, the Specialized Stix headlights have an optional clip that can secure the lamp to straps, webbing, a pocket edge, a shoe upper, waistbelt, or anything thin like that.

They’re awesome little units as marker lights; if you need a light to illuminate a pathway at night, you’ll want something else, and probably a different mounting method since dangling from a clip is not going to allow for aiming and all that bouncing around would get really annoying awfully quickly.

EDIT: Haha…I now see many have noted that bag mounting is a generally poor method; sorry for repeating that. Stix are quite light though, so should be the better performer in that placement than a heavy unit.

Last edited by chaadster; 04-26-24 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-26-24, 07:07 AM
Pearson100

On closer inspection of how the bag attaches to my bike, I see that the daisy-chain does not point straight ahead so a light with clip (hook!) will not work (unlike the photo at the company website where the daisy-chain does point straight ahead). I use the light to be seen, not to ride in the dark..

The issue with attaching a light to the handlebar around the bag straps is that the cables interfere with either the light straps fitting around the bars, or prevents light from pointing straight. There is no hole on the fork crown and in any case, there is not enough space between the bottom of the bag and the tire. (I have a very small bike).

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to help.

Last edited by Pearson100; 04-26-24 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-24, 07:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Pearson100
On closer inspection of how the bag attaches to my bike, I see that the daisy-chain does not point straight ahead so a light with clip (hook!) will not work (unlike the photo at the company website where the daisy-chain does point straight ahead). I use the light to be seen, not to ride in the dark..

The issue with attaching a light to the handlebar around the bag straps is that the cables interfere with either the light straps fitting around the bars, or prevents light from pointing straight. There is no hole on the fork crown and in any case, there is not enough space between the bottom of the bag and the tire. (I have a very small bike).

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to help.
The aforementioned Specialized Stix are what you want to be working with here, for sure. They're light and compact, and very bright, so ideal for non-standard placement jimmying.

I use velcro to attach Stix to the headtube on one bike-- and have done so since '15-- and to the front of the stem on my son's bike; they're light enough that the velcro (or DuoTec) holds fast and securely.

You could attach a square of Velcro/DuoTec to the front of the bag, and another to the Stix and just pop it on. I'm not certain of the adhesive strength of the velcro on the fabric bag, so you might want to use a supplemental adhesive. I cannot recommend one, but a little Google shoulld provide some insight. Or, it may not be necessary; there are some heavy duty self-adhesive hook-and-loop out there, like the 3M DuoTec which I have been using lately. Or, if you're handy with a needle and thread, a few stitches on the bag piece would do the job.

You said the bike was small, but if you have some exposed head tube below the bag, a piece of velcro will put you in business in seconds. The Stix can be oriented perpendicularly or horizontally, so options there.

Other than that, Stix come with rubber band seatpost mounts, and you may be able to fit one of those to the leg of your fork, or maybe even the crown. If the fork leg is wide enough, you might even be able to use velcro there.

Years ago, Tacx made handlebar end lights which replaced the end plug. I have a pair on my mini-velo. They're decent, but no longer available (except maybe NOS somewhere). More importantly, they suggest to me thatt you might be able to rig up a mount solution for Stix in that same way, say by securing a short, slim bracket to the end plug. Maybe it could be mounted between the bar and the plug cover, or if thin enough, inserted between the expander and the inside of the bar. Turning the exposed end-- only need about1"-- down, perpendicular to tthe road, you could use the ol' velcro and Stix trick to get forward firing light. Definitely a hack, but...

Last edited by chaadster; 04-26-24 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Photos added
Old 04-26-24, 09:51 AM
Rick

Pearson100: There is room on the handlebar for something like the Velo Orange Handlebar Accessory Mount.
Old 04-26-24, 10:02 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,066 Posts
Minoura makes all kinds of light mounts.

Likes For tcs:
Old 04-26-24, 10:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by tcs
Minoura makes all kinds of light mounts.

Hot tip! I like the bar end mount!!
Old 04-26-24, 11:21 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4467 Post(s)
Liked 1,604 Times in 1,055 Posts
The underside of the bar drop is another place a round clamp light can be afixed to.
Old 04-26-24, 12:17 PM
Pearson100

The Specialized Stix option looks promising. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Rick
Pearson100: There is room on the handlebar for something like the Velo Orange Handlebar Accessory Mount.
I looked at the photos of the mounts and don't see how they avoid the problem I have with my lights -- the cables prevent anything from going on the bars (it is tight where the cables go under the tape).

Last edited by Pearson100; 04-26-24 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-24, 07:40 PM
Rick

Pearson 100: I looked at the bars and the space between the cables. I could make the mount I linked to work on those bars. The Minoura mounts tcs showed would easily work for this. I suggest you go to a bicycle shop and ask for some help. I'm thinking you may lack the experience needed for the task at hand.
Old 04-26-24, 10:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Are there any companies that make a front light with a hook? My handlebar bag precludes mounting a light on the handlebar but the bag does have daisy-chain webbing in front. I could put a light there if the light had a hook similar to my Cygolite rear lights.
Thanks.
I took a look at the RR handlebar bags on the product website. It does appear that your bag is meant to be rotated more forward than on your bike and then the accessory loops would face more forward. Are you securing the back loop that holds the bag tight against the headtube of the bike? With that done there is no swaying of the bag, and IMO there would be more than enough stability for a 'be seen' light. That said, I don't have a ton of faith in clip mountings. In your situation I would use a helmet mount for a headlight. Actually, if I wasn't going to be riding in the dark, like you aren't, I would have no need for a 'be seen' light at all. When I wear this latest b'day present from the DW, I get brights flashed at me by the cagers, and shoppers in the supermarket ask me if I can turn it down. No batteries to replace, and no charging hassles whatsoever. Comes in summer weights as well. Highly recommended.
Old 04-27-24, 07:14 AM
Pearson100

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I took a look at the RR handlebar bags on the product website. It does appear that your bag is meant to be rotated more forward than on your bike and then the accessory loops would face more forward. Are you securing the back loop that holds the bag tight against the headtube of the bike? With that done there is no swaying of the bag, and IMO there would be more than enough stability for a 'be seen' light. That said, I don't have a ton of faith in clip mountings. In your situation I would use a helmet mount for a headlight. Actually, if I wasn't going to be riding in the dark, like you aren't, I would have no need for a 'be seen' light at all. When I wear this latest b'day present from the DW, I get brights flashed at me by the cagers, and shoppers in the supermarket ask me if I can turn it down. No batteries to replace, and no charging hassles whatsoever. Comes in summer weights as well. Highly recommended.
I can't rotate the bags more because the cables protrude out which prevent the bag from dropping down more. My stem is only 600m so unlike other photos I've seen, the cables don't nestle more under the stem. (And I do notice that company website photos of many handlebar bags always seem to show bikes with no cables or non-intrusive cables!.)

Again, thanks to all for offering suggestions. I did order the Specialized Stix and the clip so I will go back to more experimentation. (Trying to find ways to attach accessories on an extra small bicycle with not a lot of free real estate is something I'm very experienced with!)

Last edited by Pearson100; 04-27-24 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-27-24, 10:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,148 Posts
I can't rotate the bags more because the cables protrude out which prevent the bag from dropping down more. My stem is only 600m so unlike other photos I've seen, the cables don't nestle more under the stem. (And I do notice that company website photos of many handlebar bags always seem to show bikes with no cables or non-intrusive cables!.)

Again, thanks to all for offering suggestions. I did order the Specialized Stix and the clip so I will go back to more experimentation. (Trying to find ways to attach accessories on an extra small bicycle with not a lot of free real estate is something I'm very experienced with!)
If you need to reroute the cables, it can be done but might be more work than you want to do.

The older Shimano brifters ran cables straight out the sides of the brifter units, which put the cables right where your handlebar bag would be. A friend of mine had a solution for this, the photo is over a decade old, I cropped this from a much larger photo to make the V brake noodles more visible.

That said, if you were going to put some time into a project, a different mounting point for the light might be a better solution than the time spent on cables.
Old 04-27-24, 05:10 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
I see you have the Trek Blendr stuff. I have a Burrito bag but shift it down so it is below the lower mount and light. I also use the Garmin out front mount for my GPS and when I need a brighter longer lasting light mount it below the GPS using a GoPro type mount. Also I’ve use the plastic GPS Blendr mount like you have and my Edge 1030 moves too much with rough road vibrations. The Out front is more rigid. Or use the Blendr Aluminum GPS mount. This I have on my Checkpoint.

Like this but on my Domane. Domane is hung up because plan to ride the Checkpoint tomorrow.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 04-27-24 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-27-24, 07:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Here is my solution. I mount the light to the side of the fork. I made this for one of my bikes. I made it again out of PVC pipe.

Link to album

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: