Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Wheel recs for Cross-check for gravel riding

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 10:13 AM
kitbee

Bikes: Surly Cross-check, Bianchi Eros, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy,

I've got a surly cross-check that I'm intending to set up for gravel riding. Curious to 1. get some insights about tires or at least recommended tire widths (I'm thinking 38 - 42ish?) and 2. get some wheel recommendations. I have some rando wheels on there right now with skinny commuter tires and I've been told the rims are too thin to accomodate wider tires. everything is set up with shimnao parts atm with an 8-sp cassette.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-19, 10:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
Asking for wheel or even tire recommendations without listing a range you are looking to spend is a waste of everyone's time.

Getting a bunch of $200-400 wheel suggestions when you want something fancy at $800 is pointless. And getting wheel suggestions that are $800 when you only want to spend 1/4 of that is pointless.
Tires range from $20-90 for the most part. If you are good with any price, then perfect, but you should mention that.

As for tire width- there is no perfect width, but sure 38-43mm is a sweetspot where a lot of quality tires have options. The width you want depends on the surface you ride. If its mostly hardpack dirt, you can get away with something thinner. If its sandy or soupy gravel, a wider tire is ideal as it will float over the surface more.
How wide is your rando rim?
Old 11-12-19, 12:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
OP: Let's try the polite way: what is your price range for the wheels, and for the tires?

Also, are you hoping to run with tubes, or tubeless?

Perhaps also tell us a bit about the terrain in which you will be riding.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-12-19, 03:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yeah, it could be read as being impolite. Or it could clearly explain why I dont want the OP's time to be wasted.
All a matter or perspective and with what silent inflection words are read.
Old 11-12-19, 08:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yeah, it could be read as being impolite. Or it could clearly explain why I dont want the OP's time to be wasted.
All a matter or perspective and with what silent inflection words are read.
It was impolite; if you don't recognize that, you have problems. If you do recognize it, you have smaller problems.

It was also a good way to ensure that the OP's first post is also the last.

Nice job.
Old 11-12-19, 08:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Koyote
Don't be disingenuous. It was impolite. It was also a good way to ensure that the OP's first post is also the last.

Nice job.
I strive to do my best at anything I do, whether it be ingenious or disingenuous.

Walk into a shop and say- 'what do you recommend for a wheelset?'
What will be one of the first questions, if not the very first question?

You see 'waste of everyone's time' as me being negative. I dont.
I know it's frustrating when you ask a question and get 25 responses that arent helpful because they arent applicable. That is effectively a waste of everyone's time.
Again, I dont want to waste the OP's time, so I explained why details are needed.

Sucks if that causes the OP to never post again.

Edited to add- well you editing your quote now makes my first sentence make less sense. This saddens me.
Old 11-13-19, 07:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
Welcome to BF! My suggestion is to use the widest tire that will fit your frame, probably a 42 per the published specs. Post what rims you currently have, you'll get more info as to whether you actually need a different wheelset. If you do, look at these, priced appropriately for your bike. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod166431 Looks as if they come with provision for QR.