Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

2.1 inch or 4 inch tires

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

2.1 inch or 4 inch tires

Old 11-13-19, 04:33 PM
coolslug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.1 inch or 4 inch tires

Hi gang! I'm new here and would like to know your opinions on what bike I should buy please. I am having a hard time deciding between two Volt Bikes. The main difference between the two are the wheels. The Voltbike Bravo has 2.1 inch tires and the Voltbike Yukon 750 Limited has 4 inch fat tires. I took both out for test rides and I liked the cushioned ride of the fat tires a lot but wasn't crazy about road noise of these stubbed tires on the pavement. Also these wheels add more weight to an already heavy bike. Can some of you more experienced riders tell me your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of fat tires? I don't plan on riding in the snow or on a sandy beach. I would like to ride mostly on pavement and some trails and logging roads though.
Old 11-13-19, 05:14 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by coolslug
Hi gang! I'm new here and would like to know your opinions on what bike I should buy please. I am having a hard time deciding between two Volt Bikes. The main difference between the two are the wheels. The Voltbike Bravo has 2.1 inch tires and the Voltbike Yukon 750 Limited has 4 inch fat tires. I took both out for test rides and I liked the cushioned ride of the fat tires a lot but wasn't crazy about road noise of these stubbed tires on the pavement. Also these wheels add more weight to an already heavy bike. Can some of you more experienced riders tell me your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of fat tires? I don't plan on riding in the snow or on a sandy beach. I would like to ride mostly on pavement and some trails and logging roads though.
It's all a matter of preference. Why not research the cost of replacement tires and see if the fat tire is an option for you? 2.x" balloon tires aren't bad to ride on either.
I've never mounted a 4" fat tire. I'm not sure if it's a total PITA. A 27.5 is usually really easy to work with.
Old 11-13-19, 08:32 PM
PreacherG

Bikes: GenZe 102 e bike, 70'S Moosburg 3 sp touring bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm interested in this, as well!
Old 11-13-19, 09:24 PM
coolslug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion restlesswind. I hadn't thought about the possible added expenses these fat tires might add due to more difficult repair or replacement. I'm going to see what I can find out about that.
Old 11-14-19, 12:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
With the possible exception of some cushion, I can't fathom fat tires for anything but soft sand or snow. The aspect that always "scared" me was the possibility of a flat tire. I changed a tire on a friend's Mongoose Dolomite once and it was a bear (possibly this was so low end a system as to not be representative), and I had a pneumatic pump to air it up. Fortunately in socal it's a no-brainer.
Old 11-14-19, 01:08 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I ride on pavement almost all of the time, 90% bike paths. If I were riding to work, I'd feel different, but I bike for fun and a fatbike on pavement is less fun for me.

I have a 26" Walmart fatbike, that I converted to electric with your tyoical 750W Bafang rear motor, Got plenty of power. I've upgraded everything but the frame. Switched to quiet Veeco smooth tread tires because the knobbies would howl and announce my coming from far away. Shifts well. It's a nice ride, but a lighter bike just feels better to me, so this one has gotten less and less seat time every year since I first out it together (2016).

It's all subjective of course.

The other disadvantage is transport. I visit a buddy who likes on a beach and I've love to take this bike up there, but we will ride miles and miles on the county roads up there, and maybe do 20 minutes on the beach, and I'd rather have my lighter bikes with us, plus the fattire wouldn't even fit om my platform rack. That would be another $250 for a rack I'd only use once a year.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 11-14-19 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-14-19, 09:49 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Go with the 2.1" tires. Fat tires are for sand and/or snow. You'll get better efficiency from the motor.

BTW a $80 scooter rack rated for 500lbs works great for carrying a heavy eBike.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Sc.../dp/B018SCMIR4
Old 11-14-19, 05:24 PM
coolslug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile I bit the bullet!

Thanks to those who responded to my post. I made up my mind and went with the bike with 2.1 inch tires instead of the fat tired one. I just got home from the bike store and next week my bikes will be delivered to me. I use the plural because I bought a bike for my wife which is a Voltbike Elegant and I got a Voltbike Bravo for me. Neither of us have ever had an electric bike but after test riding these bikes we are so excited about our new toys. I really appreciate those who responded to my question regarding tire size.
Old 11-14-19, 09:23 PM
PreacherG

Bikes: GenZe 102 e bike, 70'S Moosburg 3 sp touring bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by coolslug
Thanks to those who responded to my post. I made up my mind and went with the bike with 2.1 inch tires instead of the fat tired one. I just got home from the bike store and next week my bikes will be delivered to me. I use the plural because I bought a bike for my wife which is a Voltbike Elegant and I got a Voltbike Bravo for me. Neither of us have ever had an electric bike but after test riding these bikes we are so excited about our new toys. I really appreciate those who responded to my question regarding tire size.
I second the thanks. I have not ordered a bike yet, but I just changed my race leader, to one with 2" +/- tires. You are collectively guiding me to a wise, educated choice.
Old 11-15-19, 07:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
thanks for letting us know what you decided. I wouldn't go with fat tires unless you are planning on commuting in the snow. We get a lot of ice around here, so I commute on a fat bike with studs in the winter. It's much more secure feeling than even studded 2.25" tires. But as mentioned in this thread, you probably would be shocked by the price of those studded tires
Old 11-15-19, 08:39 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I think your choice was good one. I have several bikes which one of them is a 4 inch fat tire Ebike. I primarily use it for cruising and snow riding. For pavement riding and easy trails the 2.1 inch tire will great.