Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Rotor crankset installation

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-19, 03:16 AM
seanjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys just a quick question. When I was at a bike shop, the owner told me that my current bottom bracket (Chris King ThreadFit 24 Bottom Bracket w GXP Stepped Up Converter Kit) can’t be used to install rotor crank arms. Does it means I need a new rotor bottom bracket with bottom bracket cups? A newbie here
Old 11-13-19, 08:20 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by seanjr
Hi guys just a quick question. When I was at a bike shop, the owner told me that my current bottom bracket (Chris King ThreadFit 24 Bottom Bracket w GXP Stepped Up Converter Kit) can’t be used to install rotor crank arms. Does it means I need a new rotor bottom bracket with bottom bracket cups? A newbie here
I can't answer your question,but the guys in the bicycle mechanics sub forum most certainly will.
Old 11-18-19, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by seanjr
Rotor uses a 30mm Spindle so anything that is a 30mm bottom bracket will work. Rotor of course makes one as does, Chris King, Wheels Manufacturing (one of my favorites), Hope, Cane Creek (I have no usage yet on the Hellbender but own one and am excited to test durability which is supposed to be high), Enduro, White Industries, CeramicSpeed, Easton, Race Face and probably others.

Your Chris King BB is fine for GXP cranks like the ScRAM Omnomnomonoms or without the GXP converter, Shimano Hollowtech II cranks and Sugino Direct Drive cranks. It also desirable so if you didn't need it any more you could easily resell it but I would recommend keeping it and developing a good parts bin. I am super thankful for mine gotten me out of a lot of pickles and allowed me to make 3 bikes out of stuff plus extra.

When installed the new BB it might not be a bad idea to face and chase your BB threads if it hasn't been done and of course make sure to grease the threads well.
Old 11-27-19, 05:01 PM
Mechascrodzilla
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The newest ADHLU version of the Rotor Track crankset requires use of the Rotor BSA30 Track bottom bracket - which has much thinner cups than any other external BB designed for use with a 30mm axle. Assuming you want enough of the axle protruding through to be able to install your non drive-sie crank arm, you MUST use the Rotor BSA30 bottom bracket.

Even the older 24mm axle version of the Rotor Track crankset requires the use of the correct Rotor BSA24 Track bottom bracket, due to the thickness (or thin-ness) of the cups.

TLDR - if you have a Rotor Track crankset, you need a Rotor Track BB.

- Scrod

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-28-19 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Clean up
Old 11-27-19, 06:39 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Thread closed.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-28-19 at 09:43 AM.