Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

Old 11-14-19, 03:55 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have been extremely happy with Smith. Lots of choices of lenses, not too expensive if you find them on sale.
Old 11-14-19, 06:20 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
A single bug strike or accidental drop has ruined all the cheap sunglasses I've ever owned. Even though I treat my Oakleys more carefully, stuff like that has happened to them, yet the optical quality has remained excellent. I also recently bought clearanced Dragon Alliance sunglasses ($30 for a MSRP $130 pair) for off the bike, and though they look just like the kind of free sunglasses brands give away as advertisement, the visual quality is leaps and bounds superior. Both Oakley and the Dragon Alliance lenses offer increased clarity to a degree that I notice, as I'm slightly nearsighted but don't use corrective lens with sunglasses. I will probably get an Rx for my low light Oakley lens soon as my night vision could be better. Can't do that with cheap sunglasses.
Old 11-17-19, 06:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
A few years back Steep and Cheap had some Costa Grand Catalinas with 400G lenses for $69. I am very sensitive to pressure from frames on the side of my head. It can induce nasty headaches. I ordered a pair. They are fantastic. I have always been reluctant to buy expensive glasses because I break or lose them regularly. Once I put the Grand Catalinas on, it was an instant love affair. I ordered two more pair. Costa no longer makes these, so I hope the 3 pair I have last a while.
Old 11-17-19, 06:22 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I've been wearing Oakley Half Jackets for fifteen years while riding and climbing. During bright sunny days, I use the Gold Iridium Polarized and lower light, cloudy days, G30 Iridiums. Bought three pairs and a number of sets of lenses before the Half Jackets were discontinued in my model. Yes, wearing high quality lenses and glasses, increases the acuity and overall health of my eyes. Maui Jims as well on less active endeavors, Bronze Polarized.
Old 11-17-19, 06:50 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
I know Oakley's are the cycling go to, but for me they were too flimsy. Need glass like Costa and Maui Jim
Old 11-18-19, 10:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Value is relative. But IMO, yeah, it's worth it. The optics on quality glasses from Oakley, Nike, etc. are just better than economy brands.

Be glad you don't have to have prescription lenses made-- my prescription sunglasses are all pretty much $300+.
My coke bottle bottoms start around $500. Why not put a decent frame around them?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-18-19, 01:22 PM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I prefer better glasses (like Oakleys) when I ride. Since they are dedicated to my riding, I usually replace them because I want something new, not because I lost or broke them. I'll either use the older pair for non-cycling purposes or sell them on eBay. I do use cheaper sunglasses for the beach/pool etc. Optics aren't as good, but I don't care what happens to them.
Old 11-18-19, 04:29 PM
siclmn

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
I'm not sure I would spend a little over $150 dollar for Oakley or Under Armor. Is it worth to spend that much money for the qualities of frame and glasses?
No, don't ever buy anything that is expensive for fear of getting screwed on the price. Just buy low end or maybe middle of the road if you are in a splurging mood but never high end anything. One day you will die and someone else will splurge with your money.
Hey, I have the Oakley's that change lens color and they work for all conditions. Just get some and be done.
Old 11-18-19, 10:22 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I've used cheapo & expensive shades but have returned to Oakley. The old Pilots worked great but the new Flight Jackets are sweet, no frame over the top so even with wide coverage they don't bump into the helmet. Oakleys, for me, have been the most comfortable & sturdy glasses.

Price aside, larger lenses give more protection vs pollen & dirt. Pro racers have returned to glasses with bigger lenses. Clear lenses can be nice for night riding but I never liked switching lenses out of frames, rather bothersome & easier to tote separate cheapo clear glasses when necessary.
Old 11-19-19, 09:36 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Jackson Nemesis Safety Glasses
Old 11-19-19, 02:48 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Slow revert...

Very effective! Very satisfied with these!

Results from, cloudy...

...overcast...
Went for a short ride this AM.
Cloudy, overcast...
I wore my new prescription glasses that change with available light or lack of...
When I got home from my ride, I changed from the aforementioned glasses to my regular glasses...kinda cool/cold, slow revert...
Here are some pics of the situation...
Old 11-19-19, 11:07 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sun glass prices

Originally Posted by Hiro11
In my opinion, no. Expensive sunglasses are a total waste of money. I say this as someone who ones two pairs of Oakley Jawbreakers and 2 pairs of 100% S2s. Make of this what you will.
Man I am with on both accounts!

I had a pair of Oakleys I got in the late '80's or early '90's, the ones with the sweat band above the glasses, $45. Then in the late 2000's a friend gave me a hard time about having such old glasses, screw him. The pros get stuff for free to wear just as advertising, and I bought into it hook line and sinker, and got the pair Cavendish wore, hey they looked good on him.

I was hoping they wouldn't get as many sweat track running down the lenses on the cheap ones I was wearing. I am disappointed. I just leave them in my helmet as soon as I get off the bike.
Old 11-19-19, 11:09 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
easier to tote separate cheapo clear glasses when necessary.
Thanks for that advice
Old 11-20-19, 03:17 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I've always worn riding glasses that typically are at most in the $50 range and they certainly have been adequate. Recently I bought a pair of Oakley Flight Jacket Road Prizm cycling sunglasses. The improvement is significant in every way. They cost $200 and I am glad I finally talked myself into taking the risk to shell out that amount for cycling glasses. I will never go back anything less. YMMV.
Old 11-20-19, 07:45 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Have been using dollar store sunglasses for years. I buy 5-10 every year and don't cry when I sit on one or lose one.
Old 11-20-19, 11:32 AM
Texboy

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So, those of you wearing the same sunglasses for 5-10 years or more. Do you get bore with these?
Old 11-20-19, 11:37 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
^

No!
Old 11-20-19, 12:19 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I put glasses leashes on all the cycling glasses, so I can't drop them. Still using the $29.00 Performance Bike interchangeable lens ones I bought in the late 1990's. I had two Pair but one fell off the car and was run over. In the last year or two, I bought another cheap pair with three interchangeable lenses.
Around $30 too. I like them. Almost all my rides start in the daylight and finish in the dark. So I like interchangeable lenses.
Old 11-20-19, 03:16 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
As someone who needs a prescription, I used to just wear a pair of old-fogey black plastic convenience store frames over my regular glasses. Now I've taken to ordering a set of "Sport" glasses from Zenni. I am (a) hard on glasses, and (b) tend to lose them. No way am I going to drop Optician-store prices on something I will inevitably scratch, then lose.

These Zenni Sport Glasses are what I order - with some anti-glare and impact resistance, they're under $40. I've gone through two pairs already, losing them in incomprehensible places (like just inside the front door. WTH??) They do the job well.
Is that price WITH the prescription insert? If so, that's a steal! I have looked at glasses with the inserts but am not sure where I can take them to get my prescription added.

My problem is I have a fairly small head and most glasses are too big. My expensive glasses are always falling off. I think if I get some sports ones, I can put a leash on them without it looking too weird.
Old 11-20-19, 03:37 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use wraparound safety glasses, shatterproof polycarbonate, 99% UV rating, no distortion, and cheap. Use them all day and no problems. They cost about $6 a pair, so no sweat if I lose them.
Old 11-20-19, 06:14 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Is that price WITH the prescription insert? If so, that's a steal! I have looked at glasses with the inserts but am not sure where I can take them to get my prescription added.

My problem is I have a fairly small head and most glasses are too big. My expensive glasses are always falling off. I think if I get some sports ones, I can put a leash on them without it looking too weird.
Yup, that's the final price. That's why I'm on my third pair, after losing my nice RayBans when I walked in the front door of my house one day. $300, gone into a black hole.

On Zenni, you can upload a picture of yourself and then virtually try on the glasses to find a frame that fits.
Old 11-20-19, 08:04 PM
shkimjohn

Bikes: Foundry Overland Rival 22, 2008 Mercier Elle 650c, Specialized Langster, 1989 Schwinn Prelude, 2017 Norco Valence 650c

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smoke colored Mini Ztek safety glasses on eBay seem to work pretty well for me. About $8 for three pairs and they fit well for those with a smaller face. Used to have a pair of knock off Flight Jackets but broke the frame after about a year of lens swapping.
Old 11-25-19, 07:29 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I recommend tinted bicycle helmet visors. 30USD gets you a grey lens and a dual layer helmet. Another 15USD pays for three spare visors in clear, yellow, and rainbow.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285...3a834e8dEdJhAo
I mainly use the yellow lens and bolt Trivex (virtually unbreakable) prescription lenses on the inside. The advantages is that they are less likely to get sweaty, or get lost, and they provide a wider range of vision. I can get low without looking out the top of my glasses. The anti-insect wire mesh is good in summer, and the visor keeps the cold air from my face in winter.

Visor Lenses
by Timothy Takemoto, on
Flickr
When it is really sunny I can wear the darker tinted ones but find I rarely do.

The End of Goofy Glasses
by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
These days the bolts are made of stainless steel.
Likes For timtak:
Old 11-27-19, 05:27 AM
H.Franco

Bikes: Charlescen

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses, you often reject these benefits and make things worse. For example, if your glasses do not provide ultraviolet protection, you will increase the exposure to ultraviolet rays. Cheap sunglasses surround the light, causing your iris to allow more light. This will allow further penetration of the ultraviolet layer, which increases the damage to the ultraviolet layer, which can cause retinal detachment.
Old 11-28-19, 07:57 PM
Texboy

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This pair has UV protection.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOMUSAR-Sungl...4992068&sr=8-2
Likes For Texboy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.