Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not much to most here but huge for me.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Not much to most here but huge for me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 03:47 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
YEAH!!! WAY TO GO, FRANK! just like the Energizer Bunny or a spinning top once it is set in motion.

Here is a old type "dumb" digital wireless SPEEDO & ODOMETER, Stopwatch, and Trip Odometer thingymajib that works well if you can securely mount the sensor. It doesn't have any Downloadable capabilities, thus it is like the old type "dumb" kind that originated 35+ years ago.
This INBIKE IC 321 has a large speedo readout and the ODOMETER is also ALWAYS visible at top RIGHT................The Time of Day (clock) is ALWAYS visible at top LEFT.
see #3 post 10-16-19 07:18pm at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...-computer.html
I have these mounted on all my ancient collegiates and suburbans. I've been using this exact model for three years.
Battery life is great. I did have to replace one of the CR 2032 batteries in the head unit (speedo readout display) on the oldest one after about 1 1/2 years of constant use........it got dim and not visible...... but a new CR 2032 button battery from Harbour freight and it functions like new............I still have the original battery in the SENSOR unit on that bike. Harbour freight sells a four pack of those CR 2032 batteries for just under $3 I think.
When you change out or otherwise REMOVE the CR 2032 battery from the head unit, you WILL have to reprogram/re-enter your total ODOMETER reading and Time of Day, and choose Kilometers or Miles per Hour, and You Will HAVE TO ENTER Your BICYCLE's WHEEL CIRCUMFERENCE in mm (this is your Measured ONE REVOLUTION of your front wheel from a small tape mark on your hardwood floor or tile or vinyl floor where you can carefully roll it exactly one revolution................Use your Upright Valve Stem from 6 O-clock position forward to that position again and STOP..........Mark that location on the floor again with a tiny piece of tape.......................MEASURE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO PIECES OF TAPE....................you are fine with just a yardstick or tape measure in INCHES, just get the measurement to most precise fraction on that tape measure. TAKE that Measurement in INCHES and go to GOOGLE and simply type that measurement............... random example for demonstration purposes ..... measured 85 1/2 inches GOOGLE 85.5 Inches = Millimeters .............................and it will tell you that it equals 2171.7 mm .................... I imagine that if you went GOOGLE 85 1/2 Inches = Millimeters it would work the same.
Anyway in our demonstration example 85.5 inches comes out to be 2171.7 mm so I would round that to 2172 mm.
I'm not gonna get into a scientific debate as to the Inflated PSI of the tire, the outdoor temp while riding, loaded weight on said tire while riding etc, and/or the precise measurement indoors on a flat surface via one revolution measurement.
Suffice to say that it does work well to set the speedometer, based on comparisons with GPS, it is very accurate. Because I modify the SENSOR mounting so that it securely mounts to my ancient Schwinn bikes, the magnet gets attached to the Spokes nearest the hub-front axle instead of being out near the perimeter nearest the rim-brake pads.................It is extremely accurate and durable for such an el-cheapo thingy that costs $10.
One thing to make note of, I think the unit's computation of average speed for a short duration with stopping and starting may be skewed because for a couple of seconds when starting from a stop when going between ZERO miles per hour and about 4 1/2 miles per hour, it will display quickly changing double digit numbers for those two seconds or so.....until it reaches about 5 mph or so when it accurately displays.. That may not be material in the calculation, but if you want super accuracy, you should be aware of that. I would imagine the less expensive WIRED version might be more accurate in that instance, however I don't see the point in having a WIRED CONNECTION from SENSOR to the DISPLAY UNIT.
For a $10 unit, this WIRELESS Inbike IC 321 Speedo thingy is outstanding. I am not crazy about how the Sensor is designed to mount with zip ties and strong double sided mounting tape. I have to mount it differently on my ancient Schwinns with MacGyvered bracket that mounts the Sensor so it hangs from being mounted under the Left front axle nut. It works great for me. I have them on all my bikes, and friends bikes too, one of whom won her age group in the Clemson Triathlon in July 2019. It was the third Triathlon in which she used that el-cheapo INBIKE IC-321 wireless speedo on her bike. She has competed in many previous Triathlons, and has previously used GPS, Smart phone apps, and far more advanced units, but she liked the big speedo display and the total odometer, and in a Tri competition you're only concerned with outta the water fast transition on the bike go go go and maybe how far to the bike finish and transition to the run. It works really good for a "dumb" WIRELESS unit that is so inexpensive.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 10-30-19, 09:55 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Congratulation!

The weather in NC can change on a dime?

Hey, want to trade NC for Minnesota?? Please please please take me up on it...
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:
Old 10-30-19, 04:18 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
Congratulation!

The weather in NC can change on a dime?

Hey, want to trade NC for Minnesota?? Please please please take me up on it...
I have a brother in law living in Minnesota so I do know what you are up against. I come from central NY and I was stationed at Loring AFB in northern Maine so I am sympathetic to your situation. That is one benefit of living in NC.
Frank.
Old 10-30-19, 04:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I have a brother in law living in Minnesota so I do know what you are up against. I come from central NY and I was stationed at Loring AFB in northern Maine so I am sympathetic to your situation. That is one benefit of living in NC.
Frank.
Do you ride year-round there?
Old 10-30-19, 04:56 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by big john
Do you ride year-round there?
There are a few days in December and January that are cold for here but yes, I can ride twelve months out of the year. The months of July and August can be brutal as ninety five degree days with high humidity are the norm so winter temps of thirty five to forty five are not bad in the grand scheme of things. I can remember when a thirty five degree day fell in January in Schenectady NY I would go to work in just a sweatshirt and no jacket. Funny how perspective changes as the years go buy.
Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 10-30-19, 07:50 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Yup, age and health changes things.

It was in the low thirties here today and even with gloves my hands hurt a little. In about a year and a half I'll be moving out of here no matter what so...

The winters here are too long and too brutal. I could not believe the difference from my home state of Wisconsin, growing up west of Milwaukee, just how different these two places are. Normally by March I was riding motorcycles and bicycles. Here? Forget it. I'd prefer Kentucky or Tennessee to leave winter altogether but if left with the prospect of southern Wisconsin, I will do it in a heartbeat.
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:
Old 10-30-19, 09:21 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by MNHarv
Yup, age and health changes things.

It was in the low thirties here today and even with gloves my hands hurt a little. In about a year and a half I'll be moving out of here no matter what so...

The winters here are too long and too brutal. I could not believe the difference from my home state of Wisconsin, growing up west of Milwaukee, just how different these two places are. Normally by March I was riding motorcycles and bicycles. Here? Forget it. I'd prefer Kentucky or Tennessee to leave winter altogether but if left with the prospect of southern Wisconsin, I will do it in a heartbeat.
Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck.
Frank.
Old 10-31-19, 09:34 AM
tabl10s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
As a child I rode a bike as a means of transportation, fun and an escape from a lousy family life. I rode until I was in my 30's and blew out a disc on my right side that caused enough nerve damage that I lost 80% of the muscle on the front of my right lower leg and 20% of my right thigh. In 2001 I blew out a disc and lost the use of both of the front muscles groups on my left leg. If I bent my leg at the knee I fell down. Imagine how I found that out, what a surprise. The surgeon that cut the disc away from the nerves told me he could not repair it again so don't screw it up. Needless to say I was no longer allowed to practice martial arts, bike, lift weights, and had to curtail many of the types of work I did in my Plumbing company. Thankfully I found a Physical Therapist that was using a new Yoga based therapy that changed my life. Fast forward to 2014, retirement and a move to NC and decided to try biking again. Bought a very used Schwinn, sold that and bought a Quick 7, then a Quick3, and recently a Topstone.
I had a goal to hit 1000 miles this year but had some health issues that were trying to throw a wrench in the works but I can say that today I crossed the goal off my list. 1002.6 miles as of today and yes, I am counting the .6 damn it. Now I hope to get in another 100 + or so but the weather here can turn on a dime so no promises. I will be shooting for 1500 next year and will try to have it done by my 72nd birthday on the 11th of October.
Thanks for reading all of my ramblings, Frank.
How did you get injured?
Likes For tabl10s:
Old 10-31-19, 10:21 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by tabl10s
How did you get injured?
As it turned out I have a birth defect, according to one of the Doctors I dealt with, that affects the space between my vertebrae. I was a residential and light commercial plumber for 43 years so I beat myself up over the years. I would be laid up for a week two or three times a year when I would pinch a nerve The pain would be debilitating and accompanied with numbness. This went on for years when the major blow out on the right side and thus the loss of muscle on my lower and upper right leg. The blow up in 2001 was after I had closed my business and was working at a wholesale/retail company because the pain was constant. This required surgery but also put me in a mental and physical place that allowed me to reopen my business. At that point knew what I needed to look for and the therapy necessary to keep me pain free. I retired in 2014 and I still have to do a daily routine to maintain my flexibility and core strength along with keeping my weight manageable but it has been well worth all of the work.
Hope this answers your question, Frank.
Old 10-31-19, 10:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Way to go!
Likes For caloso: