Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Guitars...the other N+1

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Guitars...the other N+1

Old 10-30-19, 10:55 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Guitars...the other N+1

Recently had to have an Epiphone Riviera Custom...found one on reverb.com for a great price...$406 with case and shipping. A better guitar than I am player. This one fills the wall hangers, so n+1 may be a bit more challenging in the future. Of course, I had to have another amp too...found a Blackstar HT Club 40 (no picture, it's a tube combo) on the same site for a super price with a local pickup. Bring it on winter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0545.JPG (107.3 KB, 142 views)
Likes For Stormsedge:
Old 10-30-19, 03:58 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 170 Posts
It has always amazed me that such beautiful things can be had for so little.

My wife has 4 guitars, a mando and two ukes... and only 2 arms. Of course I have 4 bikes.
Old 10-30-19, 06:27 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 57 Posts
Nice guitar.

My stash includes 4 guitars, 3 electric and an acoustic. (Plus 3 bikes)
Old 10-30-19, 06:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9392 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 565 Posts
I only have one guitar, looks a lot like the one pictured above. I don't play it very well, but it's gorgeous to look at.
Old 10-30-19, 07:13 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Cordoba cC5-CE acoustic-electric classical guitar.
Kala KA-B Mahogany baritone ukulele
Kala KA-BE (acoustic-electric version)

The Kala KA-B uke gets most of the playing time, Cordoba guitar next.

I like mahogany over koa or acacia ukes due mahogany's richer, fuller sound.

My next n +1 will probably be a tenor uke. And an amplifier.
Old 10-31-19, 01:12 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Cordoba cC5-CE acoustic-electric classical guitar.
Kala KA-B Mahogany baritone ukulele
Kala KA-BE (acoustic-electric version)

The Kala KA-B uke gets most of the playing time, Cordoba guitar next.

I like mahogany over koa or acacia ukes due mahogany's richer, fuller sound.

My next n +1 will probably be a tenor uke. And an amplifier.
Kala KA-EBY-TE is a fine candidate for you.

Look into Pignose amps.
Old 10-31-19, 07:13 AM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Trek Madone 5.9, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 88 Posts
Just sold one last month, so I'm down to 9 plus a uke... plus 5 tube amps (two I built from kits) and 2 SS amps.
Likes For Igotdibs:
Old 10-31-19, 05:18 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I'll tell you what is better than the old 1970's era pignose is the lunch box sized VOX PATHFINDER 10 that sells for $79.99 New from places like SWEETWATER, MUSICIANS FRIEND, MUSIC 123 and a bunch of others.
The Vox Pathfinder 10 doesn't run on batteries, perhaps its only downside versus the old Pignose.
Pignoses are fine. Lots of folks used the Pignose to record certain stuff in the studio back in the day, because if you creatively mic'd them and depending how you had that mic's preamp dialed up.....overloaded(think +8 on theVU's ) or clear (VU's in the -3 to +1 range).............you could get some interesting sounds.

You are NEVER TOO OLD TO ROCK N ROLL, and learn to beat out a few chestnuts on the ol Six String.
YOUTUBE is a resource that is a gold mine IF YOU KEEP IT SIMPLE ENOUGH. If you already have an ability to play one or three songs strumming Easy Guitar Style and you've got the solid fundamentals of the Cowboy Chords, and how and why to use a CAPO and how to use moveable chord forms..........knock your self out with YOUTUBE because you have enough to grasp something from most YOUTUBE instruction. The Keith Urban DVD instruction is superb for beginners, however it helps if you learn how to finger and change between the cowboy chords and strum along to some simple song that you love and know very well.
You basically need to know what I refer to as the guitar alphabet: Just Remember This EVERY LETTER HAS sharp/flat Equivalent BETWEEN IT, EXCEPT that B goes directly to C -and- that E goes directly to F.

An example of the guitar alphabet:
G G#/Aflat A A#/Bflat B C C#/Dflat D D#/Eflat E F F#/Gflat G G#/Aflat A.....

You see this repeats (you can go forward and backwards or up & down the frets if you want to call it that way. )

Okay so you might know that STANDARD Guitar Tuning is:
The FATTEST STRING ( known as the 6th string) gets tuned to E
The next fattest wound string ( the 5th string) gets tuned to A
The (4th string) isn't as fat it gets tuned to D
The (3rd string ) gets tuned to G
The (2nd string ) gets tuned to B
The skinnyest string (1st String) gets tuned to E

So to recap, in STANDARD GUITAR TUNING (low to high) E A D G B E

The importance of the 'guitar alphabet ' mentioned earlier is that the RELATIONSHIP and CHANGES back and forth along the FRETS and STRINGS will be exactly the same for NOTES, and MOVEABLE CHORD FORMATIONS. Instantly knowing this allows you to PLAY EASY GUITAR and USE the CAPO TO GIVE YOU SIMPLER CHORDS THAT YOU CAN PLAY WELL.

YOU CAN GET AWAY WITHOUT DIFFICULT BARRE CHORDS, IF YOU KNOW AND REMEMBER THAT ANY CHORD THAT IS BEING PLAYED THAT HAS NO OPEN STRINGS ( more precisely, no strings that are left unfretted..) IS BY DEFINITION "Moveable Chord".
Now what they don't tell you in most instruction books is that YOU AIN'T GOTTA PLAY ALL SIX STRINGS!!
For example the simple cowboy chord D7 just fingers the first second and third strings, Okay so just move that D7 shape two frets and you've got E7 assuming you only strum the three skinnyest strings...1st string, 2nd string, 3rd string and DON'T PLAY THE 4th,5th,6th STRINGS........ Same thing Move the D7 shape three frets and you've got F7 assuming you're just treating it like it was just a three string guitar......................
.........Then there is the rocknrollers use of the middle strings where the Cowboy chord A chord is ............................fret the A chord like the Bird Finger, Index Finger. Ring Finger at the 2nd fret....................you want to use this BIRD/INDEX/RING configuration rather than the INDEX/BIRD/RING...... these fingers cover 4th STRING, 3rd STRING, 2nd STRING at 2ND FRET (just behind the second fret.. well .between the first and second frets but You Know that!!)
Heck this becomes MOVEABLE in rockNroll , electric but in acoustic playing too.....YOU JUST DON'T PLAY or MUTE THE 1st string(the skinnyest string),
-or-
You know there is the "long version" of the A7 chord that is simply the typical Cowboy chord A fretted across 4th/3rd/2nd STRINGS at 2ND FRET and the pinky FRETTING the 1st String(skinnyest string) at 3RD FRET................................this gives you the long version of the A7 chord.........................Guess what well its MOVEABLE FOUR STRING CHORD because you can strum all the strings except the two fattest (6th and 5th strings).
Sheesh, you can even if you can do it is mash (fret) the regular A chord portion at the 2nd fret with the top part of your index finger going across strings 4,3,2 at the 2nd Fret and then capture(fret) the 1st STRING at 3rd Fret with with your BIRD finger or Ring....whatever works.

There are a bunch of other, really SIMPLE things that if you know them, or recognize them, you can begin to have fun and make some music with the guitar.
I do officially call this "WRONG WAY METHOD TO LEARNING GUITAR" but it does work.
I learned via the Monkey See Monkey Do method, a million years ago when there were no books with any rocknroll or folk songs. These were guys that were playing in rock bands and were largely self taught though they sometimes had some musical knowledge. They could figure out things by seeing folks in concert and listening to the records. They would dumb down the instruction, they had to because I'm not really smart or quick when it comes to music......I've got to get it by feel and sound and not exact mechanical note by note.

It is not nearly as hard as many teachers and books make it out to be. You have to understand that certain musically gifted folks' idea of what is basic and simple might differ from what is possible for the almost musically hopeless. You just have to find something simple enough to get you jump started. Trying to take instruction from someone that is super-skilled as has no patience for "slow" beginners will not work. My friend Tom, who is 64, tried to learn guitar after age 55 from someone outstanding but Tom got frustrated in trying because he could not grasp what the typical 13 to 17 year old student could. So he just sold the guitar and gave up. In 2014 at a X-mas party at Tom's house, some of us who once played in bands were in attendance. and somebody said well lets play, you've got a bunch of guitars and amps, mics and maybe an old P/A don't you.......well yeah, but.......no buts....and five minutes later there were a dozen folks grabbing equipment that were in boxes and on shelves in my garage's upstairs loft and office area. Tom lives about 12 houses up the street, so within a half an hour and army of folks loaded several cars and trucks with sound gear and about ten guitars and drove it into Tommy's backyard and on to his outside patio and porch.
While this was happening others went to their home and brought their drumset, bass, tambourines, harmonica,cowbell, and whatever.
Amazingly, within about an hour and a half, we had a nice little jam going.......it took another 20 or 30 minutes to get some cohesion on the vocals as all the wives and women who had been consuming wine, wanted to all sing Beatles songs that we'd initially tried to just get tuned up and levels adjusted and see what everybody else knew that we could all play.. I doubt that our little party get together would provide any recording that would equal a great live album that anyone would want to listen to again and again, but it was really fun and it had a few moments when things sounded almost good enough to be outta of the garage and playing in some tiny dive bar. It was fun and that is what it is all about. You don't have to have the ability of Carlos Santana, Alvin Lee, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton , Jimmy Page, Mick Taylor, George Harrison, or Paul McCartney to play guitar.
You also DO NOT NEED anything special at all when it comes to a solid-body electric guitar. It only has to be playable,,,,,,,,that it's intonation is half way decent and you can play it up the neck as far as you'd need to, and that the action (distance the strings are from the fret) is playable and the machine heads are just decent enough, and the guitar functions as expected.
You can buy a $50 new strat copy from China that is better built than perhaps some of the USA made Fender guitars of the late seventies/early eighties when assembly quality varied a great deal. Yeah, you'll have an UNFINISHED WOOD, Chunky Baseball bat like neck on these Strat-type guitars but the overall construction is very decent if you don't mind having to sand the sharp fret edges on the outer edge of the neck along both sides. The fret spacing and fretwork is otherwise extremely good, and the nut, the vintage type bridge, and the machine heads(tuning pegs...) are half-way decent......decent enough to stay in tune. The single coil pickups sound like what you'd expect in a typical strat. No joke, they aren't bad, even if they were four times the price!
Acoustic guitars are a little different because their construction quality really matters in relation to the sound that you get.
I always tell folks that YAMAHA is the way to go if you want to be sure you get quality at whatever price range.
There are a number of el-cheapo acoustics that sound decent and are acceptable but that selection changes like the wind sometimes.
Unless you've got someone advising that is experienced and knowledgeable about the brand/model your considering, you could end up with something that you paid several hundred dollars for that sounds worse than some no-name acoustic from China that cost $69. So just because those nameplates might be known for great
vintage solid body and semi-solid electric guitars, that same name tacked on to the headstock of your $300 new acoustic might not be a good buy. That isn't to say that it won't be acceptable as a playable instrument, because you certainly should expect anything that is $69 from China to be playable if it looks decent enough.
You may not get the deep low end that you would from a decent Yamaha, and you may get something more trebley and less balanced in tone, but with a string change you can perhaps improve that slightly and strings are easy to change and relatively inexpensive. If you're a complete beginner, you won't NOTICE the tone difference very much. YOU WILL NOTICE THE Action ON AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR. IT IS VITAL, THAT SOMEONE EXPERIENCED, OR PERHAPS YOU CAN DO IT.......You'll likely need to file-sand a small amount from the base of the saddle to lower it in the slot that it resides in on the bridge itself, in order to perhaps get the Action to a more playable level. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNTIL/UNLESS AN EXPERIENCED GUITAR PLAYER HAS DETERMINED THAT YOU MAY NEED TO LOWER THE SADDLE ON YOUR ACOUSTIC GUITAR. They can easily spot whether yours is where it should be or if it needs lowering. It is simple but if you don't know what you're doing, you can muck things up and you don't wanna create problems when there aren't any.

I'll lastly say this, if you've always wanted a guitar, then get one. Get an inexpensive one. It is decent enough to start. Even those el-cheapo Rogues from Musicians Friend are not horrible, but remember the SCALE LENGTH. The elcheapo 090 is something like 25 3/8 and the 100D is 25 1/2 if I recall correctly. Slightly shorter scale length is better on acoustics in my opinion. I like the 25" scale that YAMAHA had on most everything, certainly the super popular FG series from the sixties until the mid 1990's. During the mid 1990's, YAMAHA changed the FG series and made the soundbox bulkier-wider and they changed the scale length to 25 1/2" probably because most others in the industry were doing 25 1/2. The FG series also at that time became more of a solid wood top than previously as YAMAHA's were known for having the best "plywood tops" a.k.a. laminated top guitar sound in the industry. The low cost, cheapo YAMAHA F series was introduced in the nineties and though its contruction was not as good as the much earlier FG laminated tops, it did retain the 25" scale length of the sixties through early nineties Yamaha FG series.
In the 1970's, there were many guitars from Japan and Tawain and Korea with good build quality and affordable pricing that were available in 24 3/4 scale (like that of the typical Gibson electric's scale length) but as the Strat copies surpassed the Les Paul clones that dominated in the era before 1977, my guess is that 25 1/2 became more acceptable for even beginners on acoustic. 25 1/2 on acoustic is perhaps noticeably more difficult for beginners, because the force needed to fret the strings and the slight extra reach needed can be tough for newbies and those with smaller hands.

I do have a collection of guitars that I play. Thirty and forty years ago, I had more than the nine that I have now.
It is fun to play guitar.
As my brother said about fifty years ago while at a major rock concert, he said, look it cannot be that difficult to play guitar because look, they are all messed up, and probably don't know where they are at, but they can still keep the boogie going.....
Somebody with zero musical talent, and completely sober can probably get to the level of playability not too far below the level of the wasted rockers that they may have seen onstage in the old days.
It will be easier to get started playing on one of those $50 new Chinese strat copies because the strings on an electric are slightly thinner and the body and neck are easier to get started. It is easier IF AND ONLY IF you don't get distracted and just try to make noise and play with the wammy bar.............keep the wammy bar unscrewed and off the guitar.............get a tiny VOX Pathfinder 10.........................it will crank for a tiny lil amp if you want it to, but what is more important that it will give you decent enough clean sound where you can learn, and it is very small and durable. Get a $2 Capo-chinese knockoff of Dunlop metal spring type and an $8 electronic guitar tuner. Its Only rock and roll and it ain't that hard to learn how. Keith Urban, and plenty of youtube videos are great instruction.

I won't explain too much but it is super easy to show people who have never played guitar HOW TO PLAY dock of the bay (otis redding) with a guitar tuned to that tuning that keith richards loves to use. Steve Cropper reported years ago that Otis played the song for him, using all one-finger (index finger) chords in open g tuning. You can google the chords for Dock of the Bay, and you'll notice which chord arrangement is the one that you'd need. It is super simple.

It might be something to think about as Winter will be a time when you'll likely have more time indoors to mess about with a six string.

I won't explain too much but there are many suppliers from China of very good quality finished fully fretted replacement guitar necks beginning at around $30 shipped.
Tele, Strat and others, of very good quality that will allow anyone that can play guitar and/or knows musicial instrument construction can easily build a custom solid body from an old body with a damaged bolt on neck....or something from scratch with matching-fitting components. Hey, don't start tearing apart instruments unless you know how to properly reassemble and set up an instrument because unless you do, the best components mated badly where playability is compromised is worse than the worst elcheapo electric from 1965, 1975, or 1985.

Have fun.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 10-31-19, 07:40 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
WTH? ^^^
Old 11-01-19, 06:37 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
wth? ^^^
+1
Old 11-01-19, 10:53 AM
genec
genec

Obviously a lead guitar player on too much coffee... one of those guys that makes a single Grateful Dead song last an hour...
Old 11-01-19, 10:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 289 Posts
I tried playing about 40 years ago but never really made any progress after almost 20 years. A couple of friends who do play very well (one is well respected pro who's backed up Eric Clapton) said I was doing pretty well and encouraged me to keep at it. But I felt like I never got beyond garage band or jam night level. I got frustrated and quit playing about 20 years ago.

I had a really nice factory made Schecter Tele-hybrid, looked like a Telecaster but with split-coil humbuckers. Black body, maple neck, really sweet guitar. I didn't care for the feel of flattish neck and fingerboard with small frets. More of a soloist's guitar. It deserved a better musician so I sold it. Last time I saw it, it was being played by a fellow in a large church gospel band.

I kept a beat up Yamaha sorta-Strat that suited me perfectly. Candy red body, rosewood finger board, fat rounded frets that suited my chord playing -- I liked the jazzy comping style of the great backup guitarists, but was never much good at soloing. Had a big ugly gouge in the front of the body so I snagged it for $75. I replaced the original staggered pole piece single coil pickups (but kept them in case I changed my mind) with some Schecter potted stacked humbuckers and rewired the whole mess for multiple sounds, including all three pickups on at the same time, and various split and "out of phase" sounds. Really sweet, clean sound, very versatile. The stacked humbuckers didn't have much gain or rip, but they were quiet and retained most of the classic Strat sound.

Alas, a jackass distant cousin, black sheep of the family from the redneck riviera, stole it about 20 years ago, along with one of my shotguns and other stuff. I never got around to getting another guitar.

Also wish I'd kept one of the great Paul Rivera era factory hotrodded Fender amps. I had a Super Champ and souped up Princeton Reverb, but liked the Super Champ best, although it was finicky about tubes. The souped up Princeton Reverb sounded almost as good and loud enough for some small club gigs, although it tended to overheat when cranked up too far. In a guitar magazine article years ago I noticed Eddy Van Halen had a Super Champ in his backstage warmup cart. That thing could really sing, long sustained and controllable feedback at a volume that wouldn't get the neighbors calling the cops. But it used a peculiar tube that eventually was discontinued in the US and none of the Russian and Chinese imports were good enough quality replacements.

Also had a great silver face Twin Reverb that I used at clubs a couple of times, but it was gawdawful heavy. Put it on consignment, last I heard it was purchased by a Japanese collector.

Had a few acoustic guitars but never one I was attached to. Yamaha, Takamine. I do regret not buying a Guild jumbo when they were available in the 1980s. Put one on reserve but the store owner suddenly decided to close and refunded my deposit. That guitar was popular with some good players back in the day -- Clapton and others. Deep, rich yet balanced sound.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-01-19 at 10:59 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-01-19, 10:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Obviously a lead guitar player on too much coffee... one of those guys that makes a single Grateful Dead song last an hour...
IOW, a typical Grateful Dead song.

I've had their Europe '72 triple live album on rotation here lately. First got it in 1973, right after I saw them at RFK stadium and jamming with the remnant of the Allman Brothers after Duane and Berry died. Never get tired of that album. But some Dead jams put me to sleep, especially the aimless Dark Star. Never understood the appeal. I prefer Jack Straw, their masterpiece IMO.
Old 11-02-19, 01:59 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
To give you an example that basic simple guitar isn't too difficult if you don't overthink it and you're not trying to become Jeff Beck overnight.
Most people seek out the finest players locally to get lessons from them, but as I'd mentioned before many of those great players expect their students to grasp the learning as quickly as they did, and they can't deal with someone who is thick as a brick and doesn't get it........
However, there are other ways that you can get to having fun with a six string. The main thing in my opinion is you gotta get to where you can at least halfway play some very simple song that you like, and if you can do that badly but enough to the point where you can change between chords, you'll get better and decent enough to enjoy playing your guitar. You've gotta just find things that are simple enough that you can try to play. You'll build from that. The Keith Urban 30 songs instruction thing dvd is fantastic, and all of it has been uploaded by folks on youtube, so you don't need the dvds. There is a guy called Jonathan Kehew who did guitar instruction for a cable/public tv/local tv station who about ten years ago posted those videos that he did and more on youtube. His are fantastic instruction videos, as are Keith Urban's, and there is also a guy named Marty Schwartz who has GuitarJamz channel on youtube where he teaches basic guitar and basic songs and he is great. Those are the BEST for beginner guitar players and intermediate level folks too who can still learn a heck of alot from them. There is another old guy, a different Marty who goes by Party Marty on youtube, who has many videos that just show simple arrangements of many classic songs. He is great as he just has his acoustic guitar and he shows you just like you'd expect a pal would do at an outdoor backyard cookout. PartyMarty sings and plays the tune during and after he shows you how, and he is fun,
If you're already a great guitar player or at least can play some stuff well, there is a guy named James who is the best there is on youtube, as he has two YOUTUBE channels, his earlier one is privettricker . That one no longer gets him adding anthing there, but it still has hundreds of instructional videos that he did between 2008 and about 2016................................ James' most current video work is on James James YOUTUBE channel. If you can play at least an intermediate level, you will gain a heck of a lot of knowledge from watching his instructional videos, especially if you were raised on rock and roll of the Beatles, Stones, Who and others of the mid to late sixties through about 1974 or 1975.

Okay here is an example of Something Extremely Simple that most people would overthink as far as the chords.
song: SHE'S A RAINBOW https://www.e-chords.com/chords/the-...shes-a-rainbow
You'll WANT to play it with a CAPO at 3rd Fret.
D7 instead of F7
G instead of Bflat
C instead of Eflat
You'll also want to use the four string G chord which is extremely simple.
Hey perhaps you remember that G chord is just the 3rd FRET of the FIRST STRING being fretted, that is all.

Okay, so you see that you'll also might need
G7 instead of Bflat7
Gsus instead of Bflatsus
.....Heck the four string G7 chord is just the 1st FRET of the FIRST STRING being fretted, that is all.
....The four string Gsus chord is the 3rd FRET of the FIRST STRING and the 1st FRET of the SECOND STRING being fretted.

-----------Here is how you do it....... FROM THE C chord, Keep Your INDEX FINGER Planted down While you REMOVE BIRD & RING fingers, and ADD PINKY at First String 3rd FRET........that gives you the four string Gsus chord (you don't Play the two fattest strings....the Sixth & Fifth STRINGS).................
.........................Then to get G chord .........YOU JUST LIFT UP THE INDEX FINGER JUST OFF ......You've got G chord now..........................
............YOU CAN THEN GET THE G7 chord by PLACING YOUR INDEX FINGER at First String 1st FRET and LIFTING THE PINKY UP AND OFF THE STRING..................That is all you gotta do!!

(Remember that the C chord is five string chord if you finger it like the typical C with three fingers fretting individual strings............you could probably get away with fingering the C chord like the Am7 chord but you'll have to limit to four strings only, because if you play an open- unfretted fifth string, you'll get Am7 instead of C )

That is very easy for anyone to play.
D7 is super simple............the four string G chords are super simple.
If you've never tried playing guitar before, you can learn the Am7 form of C and then learn to add your RING FINGER down on the FIFTH STRING 3rd Fret.

Heck, you can play a simple song.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ooh La La - The Faces a great simple song from their last album that Ron Wood sang, not Rod, though Rod later did do a version of it.
You might remember it from a popular commercial on tv last year...........song goes: I wish that I knew What I know Now, when I was Younger......
***there are a couple of ways to play a simple version of this
You can place your CAPO at 6th FRET https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...chords_1410484
The ONLY CHORDS that you'll need are G, Am7, C
You know how simple it is from Am7 to C and YOU KNOW YOU CAN USE THE SIMPLE four string G chord (which is just FirstString 3rd FRET)

--------------------------------------------------------------
you can also play it like this with CAPO at 1st FRET https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...chords_1003677
you get chords that EASILY transition from each other IF YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THE EXPLANATION of how (chords Em7, G, D)
From the D chord, you KEEP the RING FINGER planted in the same place as on the D chord, DON'T MOVE IT, You SWING UP the INDEX & BIRD FINGERS to the typical Em chord location.....though most people normally finger the Em chord using the BIRD & RING fingers, YOU WANNA KNOW VARIOUS WAYS , BECAUSE AS YOU SEE IT COMES IN HANDY SOMETIMES!
..............For The Em7 change to G, YOU MOVE the BIRD FINGER from its Place on FOURTH STRING 2nd FRET to the SIXTH STRING 3rd FRET and the PINKY goes down on the FIRST STRING 3rd FRET.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
okay now here is DOCK OF THE BAY https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...y-chords-81840
this chord arrangement can be EASILY PLAYED by someone that has never played guitar before!
You'll need to RE-TUNE your GUITAR using your electronic tuner.
You'll tune it to OPEN G tuning which is D-G-D-G-B-D (low to high)
the fattest string, the sixth string gets tuned down to D (you just tune it to D , the same way that you always tune your fourth string)
Heck you don't really need the sixth string in OPEN G tuning,,,,,,,,,,,,Keef removes it because you gotta enough D strings and because the root G is the 5th string...
but don't get confused with that.....just Tune your 6th string down to D...
Now tune your next fattest string (5th String) down to G , the same way that you always tune your 3rd STRING.
Now tune the skinnyest string (1st String) down to D , the same way that you always tune your 4th STRING
As you can see your 4th, 3rd, 2nd STRINGS remain exactly the same as in STANDARD TUNING

one finger bar chords:
G = no fingers touching
B=4th fret
C=5th fret
B=4th fret
Bflat=3rd fret
A=2nd fret
G= no fingers touching
E=9th fret
----------
G = no fingers touching
D=7th fret
C=5th fret
G=no fingers touching
F=10th fret
D=7th fret

AS YOU CAN SEE, THAT IS NOT DIFFICULT, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO REINFORCE YOUR INDEX FINGER BAR with YOUR BIRD FINGER STACKED ON TOP OF YOUR INDEX FINGER TO GET ENOUGH PRESSURE TO DEPRESS AND FRET THE STRINGS......
If you recall what I mentioned earlier about the guitar alphabet and to remember that B goes directly to C , -and- E goes directly to F, otherwise every letter has a sharp/flat equivalent between them. Really simple but if you know the simple things, you see how things can work simpler...

------------------------------------------------
Suggested viewing YOUTUBE see
v=w20ZMiuJ0uA
v=21twduWzao
v=hdNkDJV1U68
v=GjjKJA5oH9M
v=3_qpDtfLgs8
v=-l_WuiRWxE
v=Jg-BRpn38L8
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 11-02-19, 05:32 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Wow, VSchwinn, a lot of info! Thanks. I copied it so I can print it and go over it closer. I've been playing chords for ~45 years, and still working on the bar chords, but want to step up my playing now that I have time to really practice. Cheers!
Old 11-02-19, 05:34 AM
Stormsedge

And on the Telecaster forum, they call it F+1...not sure why?
Old 11-02-19, 05:51 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 205 Posts
I recently met this fellow and got to look at what he makes.

McKnight Guitars - Sing to Your Eyes Before Your Ears Ever Hear Them

I can't play one but man are they beautiful.
Old 11-02-19, 06:00 AM
Stormsedge

Very cool. I've seen them mentioned on YouTube and in some forums. Apparently quite the guitar maker.
Old 11-02-19, 06:46 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Most fun I had on the guitar was learning open G and other alternative tunings to play along with some songs that couldn't be played any other way, like Brown Sugar. Finally made sense of the song's main chord chops, which I'd never heard played correctly by any bar band trying to play Stones songs.

Then I tried to play along with some Ry Cooder and Joni Mitchell songs in alternative tunings and realized I was in way over my head.
Old 11-04-19, 04:35 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge View Post
Very cool. I've seen them mentioned on YouTube and in some forums. Apparently quite the guitar maker.
You don't have to know anything about guitars to see the workmanship and detail, they're stunning.
Old 11-05-19, 06:32 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Nice to know I'm not alone. I too suffer from the Guitar sickness. I've been back to trying to play again for about 2 years now. Taking lessons again. Trying to learn theory . And lead.
Atm I have 28 guitars. Mostly Strats and telecaster. An epiphone 335, a les paul copy . A few acoustics and a 12 string.
I tech, for a few people. Most of my guitars I built myself from parts. Other than the acoustics. Truthfully I'm a better Tech than guitarist, but it passes the time.
For those interested in the Tech side of things check out "Dave's world of fun stuff" on youtube.
Likes For ls01:
Old 11-06-19, 11:53 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I shouldn't have opened this thread. I have eight guitars but cannot post/link photos here yet. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play then in a while as my skin and strings stopped getting along. I've gotten better lately, so I'll try to play again. I've been attempting to rebuild my piano playing in the meantime.

In any they are: Collings OM-1, Martin OOO-15, and '65 Gibson B-25 (my dad found in a pawnshop in the 70s) acoustics. Hamer Artist Studio, PRS Mira, G&L Korina ASAT with P90s, Fender Highway One Strat, and Fender MIJ 62RI Tele electrics.
Likes For Sertsa:
Old 11-06-19, 01:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I always figured if my fingers got too achy to fret on some guitars, I'd learn to play slide. And I tried for awhile. Wasn't any good at that either. But it made a glorious noise.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-06-19, 07:47 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts

The Ghost of Junior Barnard, Epiphone's Lost Pioneer

My favorite Epiphone was junior Bernard's 1949 Emperor with a single wound "Soapbar" as factory standard and an added single wound steel guitar pickup added by the bridge for ringing loud and sassy when bandleader Bob Wills pointed his way for a short mean solo
Likes For Zinger:
Old 11-07-19, 01:12 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I always figured if my fingers got too achy to fret on some guitars, I'd learn to play slide. And I tried for awhile. Wasn't any good at that either. But it made a glorious noise.
I considered that and tried it a bit. I love the sound, but I wasn't doing so well at it. So I put the guitars away for a while. I did play some earlier tonight, though, and my fingers seem okay so far. I'll have to see how they are tomorrow.
Likes For Sertsa:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.