Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

RearVis armband mirror: looks cool, but does rearview improve riding experience?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

RearVis armband mirror: looks cool, but does rearview improve riding experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 09:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,040 Posts
RearViz armband mirror: looks cool, but does rearview improve riding experience?

Recently, while strolling around cyberspace, I tripped across the RearViz armband rearview mirror (www.rearviz.com). It seems like a pretty good device...if one's looking to use a mirror, anyway.

So I'm curious about actual use of the RearViz from those that have tried it, but also curious about whether folks think mirrors are genuinely useful or what?

I haven't used a mirror since probably '89, and that has been long enough ago that I don't remember if I found it pointless on principle, or whether the execution was poor, or it just wasn't useful for my riding at that time, which was commuting and trailriding. I do remember it was a grip-mount design, so it was definitely not a stable view.

Should I try a RearViz, or does a mirror not really make any difference for those of us good about head-checking before changing lines anyway?

Last edited by chaadster; 06-22-14 at 09:39 AM. Reason: corrected product name
Old 06-22-14, 09:27 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 615 Posts
Do you mean RearViz ?

Seems like anytime you move your arm, you would need to readjust it. I would think a bar-end or helmet mount would be more practical (I have never used a mirror)

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-22-14, 09:44 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Thanks, Homebrew, I did mean RearViz, and corrected that as much as I could (but couldn't change thread title).

Yes, the arm position thing is something I wondered about, but thought maybe a quick twist of the forearm, or an extra degree of tilt of the head, would do the trick; it's a pretty big mirror, it seems, and convex (wide-angle). Hopefully a user can illuminate that aspect for us.
Old 06-22-14, 10:38 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Been looking at this. Not sure if the forearm or the elbow one is more effective.
Old 06-23-14, 07:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Chandne
Been looking at this. Not sure if the forearm or the elbow one is more effective.
Yeah, it's hard to surmise whether the upper arm or forearm placement is best, although I was thinking that maybe on the upper arm, you're also turning your head to the side more, which may allow an opportunity for an audible check and visual double-check (directly, as you would without a mirror).

Thing is, if you're gonna head-check anyway, why have a mirror? A quick twist of the head before moving has worked for me, but if you're supposed to trust what your seeing in the mirror, without having to really turn your head, and it helps you hold a more steady line, well, I suppose that's a benefit. Or maybe it isn't? I've never had a problem with drifting into a car, and I also tend to think that the head-check is a signal to drivers that you, the cyclist, are aware of their presence and what's going to happen.

As a driver, I get most nervous when cyclists seem oblivious to what's on the road behind them, because I know they may have to move left into the lane, and of course I don't want to hit anyone, nor do I want to cause more uncertainty by being unnecessarily cautious in overtaking. When I'm riding, if the conditions are hilly, I'm in a group, or if the driver is scared, I'll even wave them on so they understand clearly what's going on.

Anyway, mirror or no mirror? I really can't figure this one out!
Old 06-23-14, 07:25 AM
Dyskolos

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 and 2016 Giant AnyRoad CoMax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used a helmet mirror for a while but it was kludgy for me. When it was adjusted properly it interfered with my forward vision. I settled on a Mirrycle brifter mirror and love it. I cycle a lot on country roads with minimal traffic and it helps to be able to see a car approaching from a long way back so I can adjust if I can.
Old 06-23-14, 07:59 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I tried out something similar, a DIY band-mounted mirror on the back of my hand. This was 5 or 6 years ago so details are fuzzy but as I recall there was one issue that the arm-mounted ones could share. It was that every time I wanted to look, I had to make a hand or arm movement. Even a very slight one, it became distracting and annoying enough that I abandoned the idea.

Regarding a mirror in general vs just looking, I find that with a mirror I check well in advance of the time I'd do a head check, so I have more information earlier than I would otherwise.
Old 06-23-14, 08:19 AM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
User APRINCE posted in another recent mirror thread that he recently acquired a REARVIZ and is generally pleased with it.
Old 06-23-14, 08:34 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride ( depending on the bike ) with a mirror and without one. I much prefer a mirror. I've tried helmet mounted mirrors but found the close focal point a problem. I would think an arm band mirror would be too twitchy, but have never tried one.
Old 06-23-14, 08:42 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just noticed in the add they address the vibration issue, saying that it doesn't. I look forward to hearing from someone that has used it. Apparently there are no dealers in the US , which would add to the cost for me I'd guess.
Old 06-23-14, 09:27 AM
WrightVanCleve

Bikes: 2013 Trek One Series

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For mirrors in general, yes I find them extremely useful.

Take A Look Cycling Mirror Original Visor And Glasses - Cycle City - The Alameda Trek Bike Shop
I use this on my helmet visor. I used to put these types on my glasses but all these types of mirrors are a bit too heavy so they would slide my glasses down, but I also got headaches because the mirror was just too close to my left eye which is my farsighted eye. Swapped to my helmet visor and I get much better results and no headaches.

I see the car back well before I would hear it. Same goes with anyone on the bike paths catching up. I've had a few people break off a group and grab my wheel, I think the group was taking it a bit easy and these guys wanted to juice it up, and when I felt my pedaling lighten up, I was able to see the riders drafting. If I turn around to look, I will often go off line a little bit. The mirror makes it safer for me to check my rear. It is much safer to turn my head back and fourth a little bit to check behind me in traffic with the mirror when I commute to work since I go through downtown with the traffic around me.
Old 06-23-14, 11:08 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
+ 1 on the Take-a-look for riding on the road with traffic. I use the compact version. It's bendable so you can position up and to the left out of your forward line of sight. Its close proximity to the eye yields a wide field of view which, further, can be scanned by rotating the head a few degrees. It's flat so objects in mirror are full size, not smaller or "closer than they appear". With it mounted on the helmet or glasses, there's very little vibration.
Old 06-23-14, 12:57 PM
shoemakerpom

Bikes: Cannondale SystemSix Carbon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks goofy having some armband mirror that could change angle depending in the location you have your arms resting. Get one of these and you will wonder why all bikes do not come standard with them. Amazon.com : Sprintech Left Drop Bar Mirror, Red : Bike Mirrors : Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-23-14, 01:02 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the dual Sprintech mirrors. I can see the whole road from edge to edge. With the right adjustment I can see behind whether I am on the bars, on the hoods or in the drops. You have to get used to them because they are convex shaped.
Im not sure I could ever get used to an arm mirror.
Old 06-23-14, 01:19 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
I use the dual Sprintech mirrors. I can see the whole road from edge to edge. With the right adjustment I can see behind whether I am on the bars, on the hoods or in the drops. You have to get used to them because they are convex shaped.
Im not sure I could ever get used to an arm mirror.
I have a lower quality (Cycleaware) brand of these drop-bar end mirrors. I love the idea of them and they work, but ... the reflected images are small and you need excellent eyesight. You don't get as good a view as with a helmet mirror or eyeglasses mirror, which in turn do block some of your forward vision. It seems there is no perfect solution.

If the armband ones would trigger to flip out on a bicepts flex and then close, then maybe ... or maybe some electronics responding to a head gesture ... but I can't see having those sticking out from my arm all the time during a ride.
Old 06-23-14, 04:46 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have a lower quality (Cycleaware) brand of these drop-bar end mirrors. I love the idea of them and they work, but ... the reflected images are small and you need excellent eyesight. You don't get as good a view as with a helmet mirror or eyeglasses mirror, which in turn do block some of your forward vision. It seems there is no perfect solution.

If the armband ones would trigger to flip out on a bicepts flex and then close, then maybe ... or maybe some electronics responding to a head gesture ... but I can't see having those sticking out from my arm all the time during a ride.
That is the correct answer. There really is no perfect solution, yet. We just have to decide which product and it's faults we can deal with the best. The main thing is being safe and trying to keep an eye out for the distracted drivers.
I just happened to be thinking about this on a long ride the other day. I thought the perfect solution to this is a rear facing HD camera with a laser warning system so you aren't surprised by really quite cars and some sort of monitoring device on the front. Maybe Bluetooth, Ant+ or wired to your smart phone mounted on the stem. With the amount of micro electronics available out there some enterprising engineer could do a Kick Starter project on this and make it work.
Old 06-23-14, 04:58 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What about these, chaad?

Selle Italia Eyelink Bicycle Handlebar Mirror - 20I9850012000013 : Browse All Products
Old 06-24-14, 03:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Even if I were ready to tack something like that onto my bike, which I am not, it would still seem that a mirror perched out on a brifter would be one of the most unstable and difficult-to-use locations you could think of.
Old 06-24-14, 04:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
How about a rear-view camera wired (or better yet Bluetooth) to your garmin??
Old 06-24-14, 06:51 AM
vic303

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use mirrors all the time when I ride. I use a Take A Look on the glasses on the Roubaix. I use a Zefal Spy and a B&M morror on the 'bent. With traffic around here you pretty well need a mirror to enhance safety.
Old 06-24-14, 09:36 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I waved at a cyclist with a mirror on his helmet, once, and he didn't wave back.
Old 06-24-14, 11:09 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Well he obviously couldn't see you unless you were behind him.
Old 06-24-14, 11:31 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'm all in favor of using mirrors.
I know and ride with some very good riders who have thousands and thousands of miles of riding experience. They all use mirrors, but they all use DIFFERENT mirrors, there's no consistency at all. Some use helmet-mounted, some use eyeglass- mounted, some use bike-mounted, some use a combination. I'm sure the mirror you posted is right for somebody, but whether it's right for you, there's only one way to find out.

I tried a glue-on-the-helmet mirror, it vibrated too much. I tried a clamp-on-the-helmet mirror, the helmet was tapered wrong and it wouldn't clamp on. So try some out yourself and see what you think. If it takes a couple or three tries to get one you like, don't feel bad.
Old 06-24-14, 02:23 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
User APRINCE posted in another recent mirror thread that he recently acquired a REARVIZ and is generally pleased with it.
My initial review...
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post16835288

I find the just below the elbow placement (as seen on their website) is the best position. Think of it like driving a car. You sit and adjust the side view mirror to your satisfaction or optimal position. Depending on how you sit, you get varying degrees where you lose visibility.

Again, it all depends on your riding style and it suits mine just fine. Had several rides already and I won't ride without one. Actually on my third ride (2 weeks ago), I did not use it. I found myself checking my arm to try to look behind me... lolz.
Old 06-24-14, 05:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
My initial review...
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post16835288

I find the just below the elbow placement (as seen on their website) is the best position. Think of it like driving a car. You sit and adjust the side view mirror to your satisfaction or optimal position. Depending on how you sit, you get varying degrees where you lose visibility.

Again, it all depends on your riding style and it suits mine just fine. Had several rides already and I won't ride without one. Actually on my third ride (2 weeks ago), I did not use it. I found myself checking my arm to try to look behind me... lolz.
Thanks for posting, and for the link to your feedback; I'd searched but didn't see it before.