Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this a good deal ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 01:18 PM
fetusthatcould

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a good deal ?

I have been interested in building a a 90's MTB for commuting and minor touring. I have found a 1994 KHS Montana for around $100. I would post a link if i could (too new to post links) Do you think this is a good deal? . I have talked him down to $100 dollars but i dont know enough about older MTB components to know if this is worth my time. Any input would be appreciated. Any clue where i can find geo charts for older MTB ?
Old 09-18-19, 11:33 PM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
90s MTBs are ideal for touring an commuting. I don't know the KHS Montana but if it has Deore LX or XT components in good shape, then it's worth it for the components alone. When considering old MTBs in this price range, it really pays to pay attention to what state it is in. If it's hardly been used, you can keep the chain, sprockets, and only replace the tires and the brake pads (anothher $50 or so). If on the other hand your chain wear indicator tells you that the chain is worn, and if you can feel that the brake tracks on the rims are concave, then you're going to spend another $100-$200 because you'll also need to replace chain, sprockets, possibly front middle chainring, and soon the rims as well. So whether it's a good deal really depends on how worn it is.