Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Clement X'PLOR MSO after 472 miles

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 01:44 PM
DirtRoadRunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Despite being a highly-rated tire, my pair is ragged after < 500 miles of roughly half pavement / half gravel riding. See the pic below of my rear tire. The front is only slightly better.

About 1/3 of the small lugs are missing, and the other 2/3 are worn down or hanging on by a thread. These tires were ran at 85 psi on pavement and 60 on gravel, and I weigh 185 lbs. We do have some sharp rocks around here (lots of rhyolite and chert), however other, cheaper tires have lasted 1,000+ miles for me on the same roads. I rarely lock up the brakes and have ridden these on maybe 1 mile of smooth singletrack. I have gone up lots of very rough, loose gravel climbs, however.

The ARE fast tires, and the DO have good traction, but have not proven durable to me. When they were new, they really bit in to loose gravel well, but now spin out fairly easily when going up hill. Ironically, they roll better on pavement now after most of the lugs are missing or damaged.

For a $60 tire, I am not impressed with the durability. I would be happy with 1,000 miles out of a tire, but not 500. My old Conti Speed Rides lasted twice as long at half the price (with a similar weight). When the front one finally goes, I'll try the WTB Nano 40's - or maybe go all the way to a Schwable Marathon Monodial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20151002_143200.jpg (80.6 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by DirtRoadRunner; 10-04-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 02:47 PM
jtbadge

Bikes: Newish steel.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have over 1000 miles of pavement, gravel, and dirt on my set WTB Nano 40c Race... still tons of tread left and never a flat.
Old 10-04-15, 03:07 AM
rusheleven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes it is best to think of racecar tires when thinking of bicycle tires.

You have family sedan with economy touring tires = They function and get a ton of miles before they wear out.

You have a race car with racing tires = Your tires are fast and have tons of traction and they accelerate like no ones business, but you change them out every few laps.

So, what I'm getting at is when something is marketed to the high end crowd, it is usually faster , grippier , lighter, and all the while having lower rolling resistance, but it wears out quickly.

If you want durability get something with a firmer rubber.
Old 10-04-15, 06:10 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not necessarily.

The Schwalbe Marathon Dureme is an all-around folding tire designed to be both light and durable.

It can be done and such tires cost a pretty penny but they're worth it.
Old 10-04-15, 07:50 AM
Sundog3478

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High performance, durability, cheap. Pick two. That said, 472 miles sounds extremely low - but I cannot see the picture in the OP.
Old 10-04-15, 08:43 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My XPLOR's still look almost new after around 400 miles but type of pavement/gravel could be a big factor. Riding style also can play heavily into that as well. With that being said, I also can not see your picture.
Old 10-04-15, 10:21 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Something is wrong with your photo. Just use the "insert photo" option from the forum. It is much easier.

As far as wear, I believe the X'PLOR MSO just has the very small knobbies which will wear fairly quickly in the middle.
On the other hand, the X'PLOR USH has a center wear strip, and knobbies on the edges.

I only have 100 miles on my X'PLOR USH (still excellent condition), so I can't give you a long-term wear comparison yet.

Much of your cornering traction will come from the knobbies on the edge of the tire, and perhaps it is ok if the tire wears down a bit in the middle. I guess it depends on your needs.
Old 10-04-15, 05:05 PM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The photo should be active now.

The problem with the MSO seems to be a combination of a soft, weak (but sticky) rubber compound and very small lugs. This makes the tire grip nice when new, but the soft little lugs easily get sheared off on sharp rocks. Perhaps if the lugs were bigger - or the rubber not as soft/weak, the tire would last longer. Again, the picture is of the rear tire but the front is only slightly better, which can only be explained by a tire with poor durability as I certainly have never locked up or spun out the front tire.

The bottom line is that these tires do not last very long if there are sharp rocks around. My riding style is conservative with very few skids, spin-outs, or lock-ups.

Next up will be the WTB Nano. I replaced my rear tire with another MSO, due to a significant rock puncture. Maybe this one will last a bit longer.
Old 10-08-15, 02:49 AM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
My CX bike has close to 2,700 miles on X'plor USH 60 tpi of road/gravel without any issues and held up to all I can dish out from going all out on gravel averaging 18mph + to group riding.
Old 10-08-15, 04:59 PM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
how is the MSO on grass? wet grass?
Old 10-09-15, 07:19 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't ridden it much on wet grass - just pavement/gravel/dirt. The lugs are pretty small so I can't imagine it would be that good - better than a road tire, but not as good as a real knobby.

It seems my premature MSO wear is due to road conditions around here - all of the chert and rhyolite on the roads here is literally harder than steel and can be very sharp. Perhaps on a groomed limestone gravel road (like most Midwestern roads in IA, IL, NE, etc) they would last a bit longer, but most of our roads here are not like that. The USH looks like it has slightly larger lugs - perhaps that helps with the durability.
Old 10-12-15, 08:50 AM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if you got a bad one (or two)... or if its a pressure thing.

I've put probably 700 miles on a set and haven't had any issues with losing knobs and my mileage is probably 50/50 gravel and pavement. My standard PSI is 45-50 front and 50-55 rear.

I have found the center tread on the USH 120tpi tires wears a lot quicker than I'd like. For an expensive tire it wears quickly. I have also had one sidewall failure at the bead where the tire separated.