Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB TA vintage crankset triple

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 03:50 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 262 Posts

Hey all, Im thinking Im looking for a TA crankset for my 1980 vintage jack taylor. Probably the correct crank for a touring bike of that era. Let me know if you have one or something else you would think was compatabile.

thanks

JJ
Old 02-23-19, 04:57 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Let me know if you have one or something...
I have two sets of 50.4 bcd TA crank arms, two sets of triple chainring bolts, and multiple chainrings. I've yet to decide which components exactly that I'm going to keep, but once I do I'll be happy to let go of the rest. If nothing else turns up for you in the mean time, or if you're not in too much of a hurry, I can help you out. A few of these parts came from generous forum members at really fair prices, including one chainring that was simply gifted to me. I'd certainly pass the same affordability on to you. Might even be able to supply you with a bottom bracket. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
Old 02-24-19, 07:50 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
I have two sets of 50.4 bcd TA crank arms, two sets of triple chainring bolts, and multiple chainrings. I've yet to decide which components exactly that I'm going to keep, but once I do I'll be happy to let go of the rest. If nothing else turns up for you in the mean time, or if you're not in too much of a hurry, I can help you out. A few of these parts came from generous forum members at really fair prices, including one chainring that was simply gifted to me. I'd certainly pass the same affordability on to you. Might even be able to supply you with a bottom bracket. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
Thanks, not in a terrible hurry. Im thinking something like a 50 or 48 / 38ish/ 28....something like that. in good condition.
I looked up on sheldon brown, the TA cranks go with a Campy BB taper.
Old 02-25-19, 07:11 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
I looked up on sheldon brown, the TA cranks go with a Campy BB taper.
It's slightly more complicated than that. Sheldon and Velobase say Campy taper (commonly associated with ISO), and Jan Heine says JIS. The reality is the manufacturer and users have used slightly different tapers over the years so there is no absolute rule. You're probably fine using either and then seeing if your chainline is good.