Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Subtle triple road chainring spacing differences.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 06:53 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

Does anyone know if Shimano triple crankset series such as Ultegra 6503/6603/6703 and Dura Ace 7703/7803 differ in any meaningful way with respect to which front derailleur and which triple STI front shifter they are paired with?

Just curious because I think I detected a change in trim positions when I swapped out my Ultegra 6603 triple crank for a Dura Ace Triple crank. I want to say that the Dura Ace triple rings seem to be spaced closer together making me have to trim more creatively to eliminate chain rub. Also, the Dura Ace starts to cross chain sooner causing me to no not be able to use a few of the small/small combos (not the most extreme ones) that worked OK on the Ultegra 6603 triple crank.

In the same vein - is there any subtle ramping difference between the Ultegra 6603 front derailleur with the Dura Ace 7803 front derailleur. I mean they are both designed for 3 x 10 systems.
Old 10-10-19, 07:57 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I wanted to use a FD on a hybrid coz it just changes sweet, it was off a triple crank bike but i found it wasn't compatible for a narrower spacing triple crank {from memory}. Not in the same class or level components as yours but going off that not all FDs designed for triple cranks will work on all triple cranks
Old 10-10-19, 08:17 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Shimano's ring spacing and their ft der cable pull ratio differences between their road and MtB lines is well known. Within the each there have been subtle differences, generally between double/triple siblings of the same cog count and design vintage. Of course with any front set up cage/ring orientation and cable tensions have a big input too. Then add any front chainline shift (between swapped out cranksets) and ring teeth count differences and yes, there's no surprise that some minor performance change is the result.

We see this kind of thing often enough at the shop. A drivetrain component needs replacing and the customer complains that they now have chain rub where they didn't before. Sometimes even with the knowledge of trim functions (sadly many didn't know about ft shifter trim at all). Shimano has done a really good job at designing SYSTEMS that are rather dependent on each part's being system specific. Performance can change when parts wear out and get replaced with what's available at that point in time. This is one reason why indexed front shifting isn't the holy grail that many wish it was. Andy
Old 10-10-19, 03:31 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Just curious because I think I detected a change in trim positions when I swapped out my Ultegra 6603 triple crank for a Dura Ace Triple crank.
Were they otherwise identical, like chainring teeth, etc? Same chain?
Old 10-10-19, 05:21 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Were they otherwise identical, like chainring teeth, etc? Same chain?
Same chain. I’m pretty sure the chainring teeth are the same @ 30/39/53.