Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Question to users of Zipp 404s or 808 front wheels

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 07-04-06, 02:24 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I run Zipp 404s on my road bike and a Zipp 808 front on my TT bike. Neither front wheel has more than 500-600 miles. I notice that particularly when climbing out of the seat, leaned out over the bike, both wheels seem to make a lot of rattling or clakking sound. The local wrench says it is just the little carbon disk that is loose on the left side of the hubs that make the sound. Another local, however, who is a very successful racer who runs Zipp 404s claims that it is the bearings that need service. It is difficult to believe that two wheels that are so new would have bearing issues, but whatever the noise is, I find it bothersome. There is no noise in just normal fast riding. Any insight into this would be appreciated.
Old 07-04-06, 02:43 PM
soccerismylife
Rubber Side Down

Bikes: 2005 Felt B2 TT Bike, 2005 Trek 2100, 2001 Fuji Finest AL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Zipp 404s also and I have put over 700 miles on them this season. Ironically, I also just noticed that sound on a ride today. When I got home I inspected the wheels and I found that those two little carbon disks (I guess they're supposed to keep junk out of the bearings) are bent and are rubbing on the hub. This is just my observation so I will take them into a shop because this might be a potential problem.
Old 07-04-06, 02:57 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just went to look at mine. The one on the right seems flush, but the one on the right is slightly wobbly. Hopefully the mechanics take on the problem is the answer. Let me know, BTW, what you find out.

I love the Zipp wheels. My TT wheelset is the 999 with the 808 on front and disk on the rear. The first time I raced the wheelset, I looked down, and was startled to see that I was doing over 30 and feeling too good for that speed. Knowing that I could never hold that speed for the whole trial, and knowing that even pace seems to work best, I slowed back to my target speed. Those things get going and they just don't want to stop!
Old 07-04-06, 03:37 PM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy to fix. Go to the Zipp website for step by step instructions on how to reset the carbon dust covers. It's simple and takes virtually 0 mechanical skills.

https://www.zipp.com/support/maintenance_and_repair/faq/
Old 07-04-06, 03:45 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeInMN
Easy to fix. Go to the Zipp website for step by step instructions on how to reset the carbon dust covers. It's simple and takes virtually 0 mechanical skills.

+1. But the dust covers make one sound, climbing out of the saddle putting pressure on the front hub can make another. My LBS got rid of a creaking noise in climbig out of the saddle with my Zipp 404's (which i could have sworn was coming from the BB) by putting grease between the axle and the QR skewer, and underneath the dust cap cover.
Old 07-04-06, 03:48 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
If you can't figure out how to fix it, I'd be willing to take your broken wheel off you for, say, $50.
Old 07-04-06, 04:55 PM
skydive69

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeInMN

Thanks for the URL, and Merlin, while I am at it I will probably use your fix also. It does however make one wonder why such expensive wheels are not a bit more bulletproof in that the factory is obviously aware of the issue and mine are recently off the production line.

No Penquin!
Old 10-22-06, 07:58 PM
Moto Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The local wrench is right.