Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Minneapolis Press blasts cyclists

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 09:53 AM
hjeand
Poser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would describe this as the prevalent opinion of cyclists in overweight, cars are king, Minnesota --> https://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S43441.shtml?cat=1

I just wish the press would learn the laws about bicycling and traffic before spewing their agenda.

Hjeand
Old 04-09-07, 09:58 AM
jmoody15
Starting with a Trek 1000

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is that even considered an article worthy of taking up space on their website?
Old 04-09-07, 09:58 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hjeand
I would describe this as the prevalent opinion of cyclists in overweight, cars are king, Minnesota --> https://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S43441.shtml?cat=1

I just wish the press would learn the laws about bicycling and traffic before spewing their agenda.

Hjeand

I can do without the Lance Armstrong wannabes statements, but I do agree with much of what he says. Cyclists should be obeying the traffic laws.

Let me be clear: Many of these bikers are fine. They do what they're supposed to do. They obey the rules. It's the other ones.

The ones who clog the road because they insist on riding four abreast.

The ones who blow through intersections and stop signs.

The ones who refuse to move over for cars because, well, they think they're Lance Armstrong.

Well, I got news for them.

They're not Lance Armstrong.

And even if they were, they still should obey the rules of the road.
Old 04-09-07, 10:02 AM
jmoody15
Starting with a Trek 1000

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
I can do without the Lance Armstrong wannabes statements, but I do agree with much of what he says. Cyclists should be obeying the traffic laws.
But a decent reporter should throw some content in there, and research some traffic laws first. He needs to inform the public of what those laws are, and let people know that a cyclist does have to obey stop signs and such, but they are allowed to take the lane if needed.

Not enough real content to be considered for publication by a decent editor.
Old 04-09-07, 10:08 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoody15
But a decent reporter should throw some content in there, and research some traffic laws first. He needs to inform the public of what those laws are, and let people know that a cyclist does have to obey stop signs and such, but they are allowed to take the lane if needed.

Not enough real content to be considered for publication by a decent editor.

There seems to be a trend where the talking heads from the local news get to do small OpEd pieces on the channel websites. I know we have a guy in my area(Philly) that does the same thing. Problem is with these schmucks is that they actually think they have a few brain cells that generate worthy ideas/opinions. They should really stick to reading the teleprompter.
Old 04-09-07, 10:09 AM
veloGeezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmoody15
How is that even considered an article worthy of taking up space on their website?

know your enemy....
Old 04-09-07, 10:14 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree this is not "news"; it's opinion, but it's hard to argue with the author. He has every right to be irritated by people who don't obey traffic laws, as we all do...whether the vehicle in question is an auto or bicycle.
Old 04-09-07, 10:16 AM
vantassell
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel the same as him about cyclists who don't follow the laws. If you want to be treated with the rights of a car, you need to act like one.
Old 04-09-07, 10:21 AM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob Sansevere is nothing more than a loud mouth tub of shat. You're local, you know it's true.
KSTP is also nothing more than a 3rd rate news organization. The fact that they'd put that on their website just reinforces that. If you've watched their newscast you know why they're 3rd in the market by a substantial margin.
Old 04-09-07, 10:35 AM
BlessedHellride
S.D.M.F.

Bikes: Scott Speedster S1, Research Dynamics MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeInMN
Bob Sansevere is nothing more than a loud mouth tub of shat. You're local, you know it's true.
KSTP is also nothing more than a 3rd rate news organization. The fact that they'd put that on their website just reinforces that. If you've watched their newscast you know why they're 3rd in the market by a substantial margin.
+1
Bob Sansevere is also pushing 300 lbs, so he is a fat loud mouth tub of shat!
Old 04-09-07, 10:44 AM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
+1
Bob Sansevere is also pushing 300 lbs, so he is a fat loud mouth tub of shat!
Perhaps he is, but he is also correct in what he says. There are to many cyclists out there who want the roads all to themselves, ignoring all rules in the process. Those are the ones giving the rest of us a bad name. Whether Bob is 300lbs or not ir irrelevant.
Old 04-09-07, 10:47 AM
billallbritten

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Straw man argument. Set up an issue (either non-existent or of far less severity) and then knock it down while attributing the cause of the issue to one's opponent.

Very weak form of rhetoric, other than outright lying, usually the last refuge of an ignorant person.

Old 04-09-07, 11:08 AM
WishYouWasMe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vantassell
I feel the same as him about cyclists who don't follow the laws. If you want to be treated with the rights of a car, you need to act like one.
My thing is we should be treated as vehicles not CARS. We aren't cars but we are vehicles and its not fair that we obey all their rules. For example...a car has to stop at a stopsign....a cyclist can take the sidewalk thru or keep to the right of the lane WITHOUT causing an accident. For some incidents we dont need to obey car rules and doing so wastes our precious energy.
Old 04-09-07, 11:09 AM
1slowbastard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeInMN
+1
I would probably hate cyclists if my gut was resting on the steering wheel as I passed them too.
Old 04-09-07, 11:09 AM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to do this because they love the "hits" this generates but the actual video column is on the right and it is awful, I have never seen movies integrated like this, Anima House, Forest Gump, Breaking Away, this is laughable and I would be embarrassed if I was him!
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 04-09-07, 11:12 AM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reporters need to follow the rules
A lot of things irritate me.

You know what soon will be irritating me?

It's reporters.

I'm not talking about the ones who actually report stories or comment on actual important issues. I've got no problem with them.

I'm talking about the other columnists...the overweight, sports columnists.

And not all of them!

Just the ones who don't bother actually opining on real issues or try any athletic endeavors themselves (you know – actually trying to experience the pain and suffering the athletes they comment on go through every single day!)

I know it's still a bit of stretch for the reporter bunch to be writing about cycling, but as we get closer to the Tour de France, they will be thicker than mosquitoes in many of our sports pages.

And I'm dreading it.

Let me be clear: Many of these reporters are fine. They do what they're supposed to do. They obey the rules. It's the other ones.

The ones who write without any knowledge, talent or idea as to what cycling is, what cyclists do, and show absolutely no effort in really getting to know the sport before they write their 5th grade level prose throughout the land.

The ones who declare Lance Armstrong the greatest cyclist ever and have never heard of Merckx.

The ones who refuse to retire or actually put effort into their columns because, well, they think they're Edward R. Murrow.

Well, I got news for them.

They're not Edward R. Murrow.

And even if they were, they still should kill themselves NOW!!!

This is a soon-to-be irritated VT Biker
Old 04-09-07, 11:16 AM
Bantam

Bikes: Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do I not move to the right and allow cars to pass without having to switc lanes? Because when I do I find myself with 6 inches between myself and a 3000-6000lb car. That is not cool.
Old 04-09-07, 11:16 AM
VT Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WishYouWasMe
My thing is we should be treated as vehicles not CARS. We aren't cars but we are vehicles and its not fair that we obey all their rules. For example...a car has to stop at a stopsign....a cyclist can take the sidewalk thru or keep to the right of the lane WITHOUT causing an accident. For some incidents we dont need to obey car rules and doing so wastes our precious energy.

I agree with this statement. It is one of the reasons that cycling for short periods of distance is more time efficient than driving a car. Now - on group rides I do agree with the 3 cyclists abreast issue. It is dangerous and, does not win us any favor from non-cyclists.

However - this is a fat a$$ reporter who (like most fat people) hate people who exercise. They really do. They are deep down envious of people who are active, and try all they can to point out where we go wrong and how we are making their lives worse.

Same thing with stranded hikers. Ever notice the people who get most angry about stranded hikers who need rescue are people who would never be caught dead walking more than the (at most) 50 feet from their car to their front door?
Old 04-09-07, 11:17 AM
VT Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bantam
Why do I not move to the right and allow cars to pass without having to switc lanes? Because when I do I find myself with 6 inches between myself and a 3000-6000lb car. That is not cool.

And you just know that Bon Sansevere drives the largest SUV imaginable.
Old 04-09-07, 11:18 AM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sansevere is a bottom of the heap sports writer in the Twin Cities that just got a deal to throw out his opinion out at viewers a couple times a week. Just trying to make a name for himself.
Old 04-09-07, 11:26 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
However - this is a fat a$$ reporter who (like most fat people) hate people who exercise. They really do. They are deep down envious of people who are active, and try all they can to point out where we go wrong and how we are making their lives worse.
Way to generalize.....
Old 04-09-07, 11:30 AM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
I agree. there's no need for people to ride 4 across when they are out on the road. I'm a motorcycle rider and I get pissed when those guys ride serveral across taking up more than one lane on the highway. or on the sidewalk when groups have to wak 4 or 5 across and take up the entire walkway. haha you get the point.

but seriously I see a large group of cyclists when I'm coming home from work and I've seen them on serveral occasions riding right through a 4 way stop. I'm sure someone looked but they sure didn't stop. and since when is one group of 50 bikes considered a single vehicle?

but I also agree that the guy should have made more of an effort with the article. unfortunately we don't know what his boss told him. he might have only had a certain amount of space. but he could have made his artle less about him whining and more about what the right way to ride is. even included a web site to the local bike laws.
Old 04-09-07, 11:38 AM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
Reporters need to follow the rules
A lot of things irritate me....

<snipped>

...They're not Edward R. Murrow.

And even if they were, they still should kill themselves NOW!!!

This is a soon-to-be irritated VT Biker
VT Biker:

You should clean this up a bit (like take out the part about killing themselves now) and send it in email form to Bob as a tongue-in-cheek response to his rant. There's a link at the bottom of the 'article' for email response. If you don't want to, I'll be glad to if you don't mind me borrowing most of your words.

I was born in Minneapolis and have attempted to ride on the road there on a few occasions.

Dave
Old 04-09-07, 11:43 AM
VT Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BetweenRides
VT Biker:

You should clean this up a bit (like take out the part about killing themselves now) and send it in email form to Bob as a tongue-in-cheek response to his rant. There's a link at the bottom of the 'article' for email response. If you don't want to, I'll be glad to if you don't mind me borrowing most of your words.

I was born in Minneapolis and have attempted to ride on the road there on a few occasions.

Dave

Dave go ahead. I actually gotta run, so I do not have time.

Thanks,

VT Biker
Old 04-09-07, 11:52 AM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miller2
Perhaps he is, but he is also correct in what he says. There are to many cyclists out there who want the roads all to themselves, ignoring all rules in the process. Those are the ones giving the rest of us a bad name. Whether Bob is 300lbs or not ir irrelevant.
We DO have cyclists who give everyone a bad name (as all larger metro areas do) but you'd have to know Bobby S and his merry band of idiots to know that he is just trying to sir the pot with those comments.
The guy is a total hack and a loud mouth and KSTP providing a platform for his hate speak (which most of it is) is gutter journalism at best.

BOO to both KSTP and BobS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.