Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wide sit bones and bib shorts...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 08:45 AM
CarbonPothole

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc. 2012 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

So, I've been riding in a pair of AeroTech Designs Summer Shadow bibs; size Medium in hi-viz yellow. I'm 6'0 215lbs, mostly muscle. The bibs fit fine size wise, and don't slide around on the bike at all, however the chamois isn't in the right place. When in the bike my sit bones are on the very outside of the padding, on the thinnest part. Went to my LBS to look for a new saddle and the guy sat me down in the Specialized butt measuring device, waited 45 seconds, stood up, and he said "dang man, you gotta wide butt!" (We're friends). He said a 168mm saddle is the ideal width and is part of the reason why the stock 155mm saddle on my Roubiax SL4 isn't cutting it, so I bought a Specialized Power saddle and love it. Now I'm looking at my bibs. Looking for a pair with a wider cut chamois. What do you have for recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-15, 10:14 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6', 215 and a Medium fits???? That seems unusual to me. I would think XL, at least Large... As to chamois, I ride a 155 Specialized and the chamois in my Pearl Izumi is perfect for my sit bones, but I never had issues with the Aerotech bibs I had either. Maybe the bibs are too small and the chamois is back further than it should be, putting your sitbones on a narrower portion of the chamois... That might be solved by going up a size or two.
Old 08-21-15, 10:17 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You are killing those bibs. The chamois is crying out for help.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 08-21-15, 10:28 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so your the man the myth the legend all the specialized dealers are talking about.....

nice to meet you, large one.
Old 08-21-15, 10:31 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
you are killing those bibs. The chamois is crying out for help.
hahahaa
Old 08-21-15, 12:22 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
6', 215 and a Medium fits???? That seems unusual to me. I would think XL, at least Large... As to chamois, I ride a 155 Specialized and the chamois in my Pearl Izumi is perfect for my sit bones, but I never had issues with the Aerotech bibs I had either. Maybe the bibs are too small and the chamois is back further than it should be, putting your sitbones on a narrower portion of the chamois... That might be solved by going up a size or two.
Would agree with this.

A lot of people like the Performance Ultra Bib shorts. I have 2 pair (XXL), and I like them.

GH
Old 08-21-15, 01:58 PM
CarbonPothole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the medium because based off the site, that's the size that fit. I wear a size 33 jean and the medium is 32-34. Large is 36-38.
Old 08-21-15, 02:10 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonPothole
I bought the medium because based off the site, that's the size that fit. I wear a size 33 jean and the medium is 32-34. Large is 36-38.
The sizes on some web sites are pretty ridiculous. For example Garneau suggests I wear a medium. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs with a 32" waist. I can fit INTO a medium, but they don't fit. I wear a Large and it fits much better. Try the next size up and I bet you will be happier.
Old 08-21-15, 04:47 PM
CarbonPothole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
The sizes on some web sites are pretty ridiculous. For example Garneau suggests I wear a medium. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs with a 32" waist. I can fit INTO a medium, but they don't fit. I wear a Large and it fits much better. Try the next size up and I bet you will be happier.
will do. Thanks. This is my first pair of bibs. They're comfy, and I like them over shorts, just trying to figure out the size thing. I'll go to the LBS tomorrow and get the appropriate size. Thanks.
Old 08-21-15, 05:00 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Would agree with this.

A lot of people like the Performance Ultra Bib shorts. I have 2 pair (XXL), and I like them.

GH
Aerotech cycling stuff runs *very* large. Seriously. I'm 5'11" and 180 and a "medium", and a pair of their bib tights are badly baggy in a all directions of stretch in all places. I got them on sale and had to take them to a seamstress to get them to be usable they were so bad in terms of fit.

Aerotech is cut and sized for the "Big and Large". The OP needing a medium at 215 I'd believe.
Old 08-21-15, 05:52 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, Rapha Pro team bibs with Sworks Power saddle for the win. I also have wider sit bones. Use a 155mm power
Old 08-21-15, 06:32 PM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will do. Thanks. This is my first pair of bibs. They're comfy, and I like them over shorts, just trying to figure out the size thing. I'll go to the LBS tomorrow and get the appropriate size. Thanks.
Over shorts********** That's not how they're supposed to be worn. You wear cycling shorts and bibs with no underwear at all, nothing between the skin and the chamois. That might be part of the problem too.
Old 08-21-15, 11:11 PM
CarbonPothole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over shorts********** That's not how they're supposed to be worn. You wear cycling shorts and bibs with no underwear at all, nothing between the skin and the chamois. That might be part of the problem too.
Yes. I know. I don't wear undies. I've read and been told that plenty of times before I got heavy into cycling. You took that way too literal. I don't wear both shorts AND bibs, I'm saying I prefer bibs instead of just riding shorts, oh literal one. :-)

Last edited by CarbonPothole; 08-22-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 03:20 PM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bad. I too prefer bibs instead of shorts.
Old 09-30-19, 11:43 AM
ronnie20646

Bikes: Project One Domane SLR 7; Trek Crossrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Would agree with this.

GH
I have the same problem. I am 6'0", 250, 40" waist and having problems finding the right bib that the chamois is far enough back to cover my sit bone.
Old 09-30-19, 02:59 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
I have 154mm bones and ride a 168mm saddle. Funkier and OCG pads fit me better than my aerotech gear
Old 09-30-19, 03:33 PM
ronnie20646

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illdrag0n
I have 154mm bones and ride a 168mm saddle. Funkier and OCG pads fit me better than my aerotech gear
Which saddle? What are your dimensions?
Old 09-30-19, 03:43 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie20646
Which saddle? What are your dimensions?
Power saddle and romin Evo, 168mm wide, 182cm tall, long torso/short legs and 136kg
Old 10-01-19, 12:46 PM
JamesInSJ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wide sit-bone problem is real! Similar here to many...got fit and they said I needed at least a 168mm wide saddle. Used a Romin for a year until it just started giving me too much pain, so I switched to Brooks and haven't looked back (3+ years on my Cambium 17 now).

Another vote here for the Performance shorts in general (I like Club Sport II...not sure if the new company continued those, but they were always a bargain and worked great for me for 8+ years). They have reasonable wide chamois. I've also found Sugoi tends to be on the wider side for chamois too, but I use size Large or even XL depending on fit/brand (Performance = L, Sugoi = XL). I'm 6' tall, only 195lbs, but still need those sizes in that product. In 33" waist, I'd still try to use Performance Large to get the chamois size you need. The Club II has a waist tie...rare and most would scoff, but that would ensure that stay up for your skinnier waist.
Old 10-02-19, 06:38 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Hey everyone,

So, I've been riding in a pair of AeroTech Designs Summer Shadow bibs; size Medium in hi-viz yellow. I'm 6'0 215lbs, mostly muscle. The bibs fit fine size wise, and don't slide around on the bike at all, however the chamois isn't in the right place. When in the bike my sit bones are on the very outside of the padding, on the thinnest part. Went to my LBS to look for a new saddle and the guy sat me down in the Specialized butt measuring device, waited 45 seconds, stood up, and he said "dang man, you gotta wide butt!" (We're friends). He said a 168mm saddle is the ideal width and is part of the reason why the stock 155mm saddle on my Roubiax SL4 isn't cutting it, so I bought a Specialized Power saddle and love it. Now I'm looking at my bibs. Looking for a pair with a wider cut chamois. What do you have for recommendations? Thanks in advance.
I'm just a little smaller than you 5-10, 210# and I ride L or XL bibs, those bibs are too small for you.
Old 10-02-19, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
I'm just a little smaller than you 5-10, 210# and I ride L or XL bibs, those bibs are too small for you.
After more than four years I am willing to bet the OP has solved his problem.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-02-19, 08:18 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Just something to keep in mind if you said the chammy is not far enough back. When you put your bibs on...before you pull the suspenders over your shoulders, grab the back end of your bib shorts (grab some chammy) and pull them up so it is in the right location. You may have to adjust your junk on the front end depending on how tight your bibs are. Then make the appropriate adjustments around your legs/hips.
Old 10-03-19, 07:57 AM
ronnie20646

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is "OP" has solved his problem?
Old 10-03-19, 12:17 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Aerotech stuff does run large. I can wear kiddie clothes and I'm not all that small.