Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Eyeglasses/helmet mirror... is it just me?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-05-19, 12:05 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

I cannot make these things work. I have long used a handlebar mirror... but I am doing lots of off road, and handlebar mirrors last about 2 seconds in the brush. Of course to get to the brush, I have to take some roadways, so I want a mirror.

But I just cannot seem to focus on a little quarter, 3-4 inches in front of my face. It just don't work.

Yes, I am nearsighted, and wear corrective lenses... but so do other folks, that DO use these things.
Old 07-05-19, 12:10 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
But I just cannot seem to focus on a little quarter, 3-4 inches in front of my face. It just don't work.
"just doesn't work" is kind of nonspecific.

You don't want to focus on the mirror. If you focus on the mirror, the image in the mirror will be blurry.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-05-19, 12:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
"just doesn't work" is kind of nonspecific.

You don't want to focus on the mirror. If you focus on the mirror, the image in the mirror will be blurry.
+1 Keep your distance focus. That car behind you takes the same focus as the sign up the road.
Old 07-05-19, 12:20 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 Keep your distance focus. That car behind you takes the same focus as the sign up the road.
That's what I keep thinking... which is why an eye doctor can use a mirror to do the distance vision thing in his office.

I'll keep trying. I tried eye glasses mirrors before and had the same issue. Just could never seem to get 'em to work.
Old 07-05-19, 12:22 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
I'll keep trying. I tried eye glasses mirrors before and had the same issue. Just could never seem to get 'em to work.
I think not everybody can do it.

Try looking at a TV in a chair.

Try looking through the mirror rather than at it.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-05-19, 12:41 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I think not everybody can do it.

Try looking at a TV in a chair.

Try looking through the mirror rather than at it.
I think that "through the mirror" thing is the problem... the eyes keep trying to focus ON the mirror... I'll give it some time... Thanks... I had a feeling it was something like that. It'll probably suddenly "click," like those magic vision posters.
Old 07-05-19, 04:55 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts

I use the EVT Safe Zone Mirror
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-05-19, 05:30 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I think that "through the mirror" thing is the problem... the eyes keep trying to focus ON the mirror... I'll give it some time... Thanks... I had a feeling it was something like that. It'll probably suddenly "click," like those magic vision posters.
Not to one-up, but I use both right and left review mirrors [link), and I don't recall much difficulty with first the left one. IMO, eyeglass mounted (since I wear prescription eyeglasses) are the most useful. I kept knocking off handlebar and helmet mirrors and the eyeglass (or helmet mirror) is in view when you rise from the saddle.

The main drawbacks I think are the possibility of eye or face injuries, and as you have described, fiddling with it and not paying attention to traffic and the road.

I could relate to the magic vision posters. I took a long time to see what others saw.
Old 07-06-19, 06:03 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
I found that it took me a while to get the hang of my eyeglass mirror and I came close to giving up on it. Positioning it is tricky and I think you’ll eventually get used to focusing on the image and not the mirror. Problem is the only way to get the hang of it is to use it and for a while it’s a distracting hassle to monkey with it while you’re riding. Try it out in low traffic places and I’ll bet things will eventually ‘click’. I initially got mine just for road riding but now I’m dependent on it and used it all the time on gravel.
Likes For Greenhil:
Old 07-06-19, 06:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
been using both types & I find the mirror on the drop bar a bit easier to use. which was surprising cuz I got used to the small take-a-look on my glasses the past few years. maybe you can rig a temp mount for the bars, so that once you hit the trails, you can tuck it into a bag, until it's time to ride home?
Old 07-06-19, 07:44 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I use a bar end mirror. I haven't actually tried a helmet mount mirror in 40 years, but I didn't like them then and don't expect that would change.
Old 07-06-19, 08:50 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Long ago I tried using visor mirrors riding motorcycles and spent too much time achieving any kind of usable rear view to make them practical for me. Split second checks never worked and made them unsafe. Now I use a 2" motorcycle lane splitter mirror on my bar end and the only down side is the cost. No vibration, quick glance works and the cost should pay off in the long run with proper operation. I put a billet adapter inside the bar end to mount the mirror onto the adapter to enable folding the mirror out of the way when storing, etc. Just flip it out and I'm ready to roll with eyes on my six. Mirror is glass and replaceable but haven't broken one in 4 years of use and the bikes have taken a couple of mirror side dumps.

Last edited by ChrisWagner; 07-09-19 at 07:30 AM.
Likes For ChrisWagner:
Old 07-07-19, 12:06 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
If you have problems adapting to a helmet mirror, try treating it like you do the mirrors in your car - just glance at it rather than consciously shifting your vision to it. After a while it become an automatic action that you don't even think about.

I have used a helmet mirror since the 80s. To me, placement is critical: I like it as far forward as possible and aimed back over my shoulder. This way I can see the whole road including curves by just slightly moving my head. I have an older round mirror, but I think I might try one of the newer rectangular units to see if it improved the field of view.
Old 07-07-19, 12:59 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Maybe try a larger mirror, on the theory that it will be more natural to focus on a larger portion of the field of view.
Old 07-08-19, 06:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Have you tried your other eye?

-mr. bill
Old 07-08-19, 03:54 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I think that "through the mirror" thing is the problem... the eyes keep trying to focus ON the mirror...
This will definitely prevent you from seeing anything.

Mirror placement is important. Glancing into it needs to be a natural process or else you'll find yourself looking for (and then at) it. If the image reflected back needs to be interpreted because the mirror angle is weird, that could also throw you off.

There is no way I'd ride in heavy traffic with no mirror. Mirrors pick up all kinds of things you couldn't possibly hear or follow with occasional glances over your shoulder such as vehicles setting up to turn in front of you, drifting in on you because driver is distracted, overhanging cargo, and other factors. They allow you to spot gaps in traffic far behind, time encounters, direct traffic behind you, and a number of other very useful things. Way more important than a helmet in my view given that the best way to avoid injury is to not crash in first place.

They are legally required on motor vehicles for good reason, and they don't become less useful just because you're even slower relative to other road users.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 07-09-19, 03:38 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by banerjek
This will definitely prevent you from seeing anything.

Mirror placement is important. Glancing into it needs to be a natural process or else you'll find yourself looking for (and then at) it. If the image reflected back needs to be interpreted because the mirror angle is weird, that could also throw you off.

There is no way I'd ride in heavy traffic with no mirror. Mirrors pick up all kinds of things you couldn't possibly hear or follow with occasional glances over your shoulder such as vehicles setting up to turn in front of you, drifting in on you because driver is distracted, overhanging cargo, and other factors. They allow you to spot gaps in traffic far behind, time encounters, direct traffic behind you, and a number of other very useful things. Way more important than a helmet in my view given that the best way to avoid injury is to not crash in first place.

They are legally required on motor vehicles for good reason, and they don't become less useful just because you're even slower relative to other road users.
You don't need to convince me that I need a mirror... I commuted to work for over 35 years on a bike... always with a mirror. I used handlebar mirrors... my favorite is Mirrycle Mirror.

My current issue is that a trails bike tends to be ridden in places that tend to knock things off of handlebars... ie mirrors. I want a mirror as I am on the road getting to trails. I understand the need for a mirror. Now I have to figure out how to make one work that isn't likely to be knocked off each ride.

I DID get some fair functionality the other day... but not nearly as good as what a handlebar mirror has always done for me. One plus of the helmet mirror... you CAN change your view quickly with a slight shift of your head.
Old 07-09-19, 04:04 AM
genec
genec

I just saw this wrist model that might offer the "handlebar view" but be more resistant to off road breakage.

Anyone use one of these?

RearViz wearable cycling mirror.

Found this link: https://www.rviactive.com/products/r...-sports-mirror

Their price is outrageous... cheaper on Amazon. But I wonder how well it would work. Seems it flips open, and perhaps rotates around the hard mount...

Here is a youtube review...

Just looking at the view in the you tube vid... too freaking convex. Big negative. I note the reviewer uses a flat bar end mirror to get to the trailhead... and does mention that the best reason to use this is for "folks riding to the trailhead." Bingo. But yeah, wasn't impressed by the convex aspect.
Old 07-09-19, 04:07 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Rick

I use the EVT Safe Zone Mirror
Outrageous price... but with flat glass, and that articulating arm... this may be a better solution than the one I am trying to use right now. Convex just sucks. just too much distortion.

This one is high on the list. Thanks
Old 07-09-19, 06:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I cannot make these things work. I have long used a handlebar mirror... but I am doing lots of off road, and handlebar mirrors last about 2 seconds in the brush. Of course to get to the brush, I have to take some roadways, so I want a mirror.

Yes, I am nearsighted, and wear corrective lenses... but so do other folks, that DO use these things.
I found a couple of interesting alternative mirrors on the web:
The "Bike Eye" bike mirror mounts on the top tube.
https://road.cc/content/review/28706...ye-bike-mirror

https://www.bike-eye.com/

Or any sort of short bar mount that can sit closer to the head tube.

I use a take a look mirror, but if you get hit in the helmet or face by branches it is gonna get knocket out of alignment or knocked off. which once happened to me in a freak occurrence:
Found my take-a-look mirror later that day in the street, flattened but unharmed.
Old 07-09-19, 06:51 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I just saw this wrist model that might offer the "handlebar view" but be more resistant to off road breakage.

Anyone use one of these?

RearViz wearable cycling mirror.

Found this link: https://www.rviactive.com/products/r...-sports-mirror
I used a glove mirror, that I'd affixed to an elastic band to slip over my hand. Not the same thing, but I'd probably have the same objection. It's just that it would take an extra second to position my wrist and aim the thing. Even more than a second before I practiced with it. That little extra time of not watching the road and not seeing what I wanted to behind me was just too much so I abandoned it.
Old 07-09-19, 08:14 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I found a couple of interesting alternative mirrors on the web:
The "Bike Eye" bike mirror mounts on the top tube.
https://road.cc/content/review/28706...ye-bike-mirror

https://www.bike-eye.com/

Or any sort of short bar mount that can sit closer to the head tube.

I use a take a look mirror, but if you get hit in the helmet or face by branches it is gonna get knocket out of alignment or knocked off. which once happened to me in a freak occurrence:
https://youtu.be/QrXUxpjzaCo
Found my take-a-look mirror later that day in the street, flattened but unharmed.
When I get off road, I fold back the helmet mirror. Oddly, this morning, it came unglued from the helmet... the sticky pad stayed on the helmet, but the damn mirror on a stick fell off. So this product seems to be on a death spiral itself.

I may just use a Mirrycle, and take it off when I hit the trail. Why try to teach an old dog (me) new tricks.
Old 07-09-19, 04:15 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
My current issue is that a trails bike tends to be ridden in places that tend to knock things off of handlebars... ie mirrors. I want a mirror as I am on the road getting to trails. I understand the need for a mirror. Now I have to figure out how to make one work that isn't likely to be knocked off each ride.
I experimented with a number of different mirror configurations before settling in on a glasses mirror (specifically, the Take-A-Look).

The biggest advantages of the glasses mirror was greatest control over mirror placement/configuration and least susceptible to vibration. I tried helmet mirrors for quite awhile, and they never worked quite as well.

I like flat glass. Zero visual distortion is incredibly useful for judging distances, especially when making tight decisions on space. With helmet and glasses mounted mirrors, there's no reason to go convex because you can see anywhere behind you, including the opposite side of the mirror.

With regards to injury and distraction concerns others raised, I find the mirror prevents distraction as I can look in front and behind at the same time. I have crashed a few times with my mirror, my experience is it comes off in a way that doesn't lead to you getting speared.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 07-10-19, 05:07 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I have used the little square ones in the past and they were very effective. The only problem was that when I went running, I would oftentimes look up where the mirror is on my helmet.
Old 07-10-19, 01:46 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
I have used the little square ones in the past and they were very effective. The only problem was that when I went running, I would oftentimes look up where the mirror is on my helmet.
I know...right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.