Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Feature requests: Fixed in-line image width w/click to expand,

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 11:19 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts

#1 :
Ever since the BF redesign, I've been trying to come to grips with the way in-line photos are displayed. Since many people upload directly from their phones today, in-line pictures often default to the forum's screen width - which isn't always ideal for viewing, even in a big monitor.

Case in point, I usually resize my photos to 1500px in width (it's a shame the forum upload system does not have an option for resizing automatically on upload - there's another idea), but even at 1500px wide, I feel as if the photos are too big for scrolling through a thread with a 1080p screen, given the usual height ratio. Even on my 2k monitor, photos can appear pretty big and take away from the consistency of reading a post before taking in the visuals.

That said, I know some forum software will automatically reduce images (not the physical file size, but a reduction in display size via CSS) to make threads more readable, and it offers users an option to expand the photo (or open it in a lightbox) on click. It'd be nice to see this implemented.

#2 :
The Classic & Vintage section has a paid/yellow jersey Sales section, which works nicely. However, for those looking to trade items, there's a 49-page "ISO and for trade sticky" thread which is difficult to scroll though (partially due to those pictures!) and not the ideal format for in-search-of style posts.

It'd be really nice to see an "In Search Of / For Trade" sub-forum on its own, so people could post actual threads for their ISOs, which - by virtue of each thread's descriptive title - would be so much easier to use. Also, to prevent people from trying to turn it into a free version of the Sales subforum, one could establish the opposite rule about price quotes: Trades must be direct trades, and ISO posts can't talk about money.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-15-19, 08:14 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
#1 :
Ever since the BF redesign, I've been trying to come to grips with the way in-line photos are displayed. Since many people upload directly from their phones today, in-line pictures often default to the forum's screen width - which isn't always ideal for viewing, even in a big monitor.

Case in point, I usually resize my photos to 1500px in width (it's a shame the forum upload system does not have an option for resizing automatically on upload - there's another idea), but even at 1500px wide, I feel as if the photos are too big for scrolling through a thread with a 1080p screen, given the usual height ratio. Even on my 2k monitor, photos can appear pretty big and take away from the consistency of reading a post before taking in the visuals.

That said, I know some forum software will automatically reduce images (not the physical file size, but a reduction in display size via CSS) to make threads more readable, and it offers users an option to expand the photo (or open it in a lightbox) on click. It'd be nice to see this implemented.

#2 :
The Classic & Vintage section has a paid/yellow jersey Sales section, which works nicely. However, for those looking to trade items, there's a 49-page "ISO and for trade sticky" thread which is difficult to scroll though (partially due to those pictures!) and not the ideal format for in-search-of style posts.

It'd be really nice to see an "In Search Of / For Trade" sub-forum on its own, so people could post actual threads for their ISOs, which - by virtue of each thread's descriptive title - would be so much easier to use. Also, to prevent people from trying to turn it into a free version of the Sales subforum, one could establish the opposite rule about price quotes: Trades must be direct trades, and ISO posts can't talk about money.

-Kurt
Hi Kurt,

I believe tech is already working on a similar photo interface for another site, so I can ask it be implemented here after the kinks are ironed out. For your second point, I'd like input from @Siu Blue Wind. As I do not know much about the necessity for such a sub-forum.
Old 07-15-19, 04:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hi Kurt,

I believe tech is already working on a similar photo interface for another site, so I can ask it be implemented here after the kinks are ironed out. For your second point, I'd like input from @Siu Blue Wind. As I do not know much about the necessity for such a sub-forum.
That'd be great. Will be great to see something to manage the photos.

I'm not sure if there's really been any public input from C&V on this. The members seem to be using the existing ISO thread regularly, but that doesn't necessarily mean the experience can't be improved - perhaps nobody thought of it to-date, or simply hasn't mentioned the idea.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-16-19 at 06:24 AM.