Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 11:31 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Dude, join the pro team and rob banks on stolen bikes.
But bike thieves suck and bank thieves are cool
Old 03-27-18, 11:45 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
But bike thieves suck and bank thieves are cool

They do make for really good crime shows on some cable or DTV channel.
Old 03-27-18, 11:47 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
And you would think that if Uber had pulled it's furnished system to test it's own that they would have done more off-course testing first. A bit ridiculous if so, deadly so.

As long as she's alive I'll settle for a Mom-driven car.
Old 03-27-18, 12:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
And you would think that if Uber had pulled it's furnished system to test it's own that they would have done more off-course testing first. A bit ridiculous if so, deadly so.
Wasn't necessary in the unregulated environment previously permitted by the AZ governor.
Old 03-27-18, 12:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
What if they offered a free power meter/GPS tracker... with a transponder? A free EPS or Di2 upgrade with a transponder?

Hopefully the self-driving cars will be forced to have better accident stats than average drivers. But, we still have about 700 or 800 fatalities and a bunch of injury accidents a year related to bike car interactions.

For bicycle/car injury accidents... what are we... somewhere between 1:100 and 1:1000 avid cyclists per year? More? What if the transponder dropped the current risk by a factor of 10? a factor of 100?

It could well save more lives and prevent more brain injuries than helmets.

Still saying no way?

I use a red taillight on my bike... not because I think it makes me look cool. Not because I'm developing film behind my bike... but because it makes me SAFER. And, if someone convinced me that a taillight/transponder combo would make me 10x or 100x safer, I'd probably go that route. Not a separate device, but have it embedded in a device that I'm already using and charging.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-27-18, 12:47 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
What if they offered a free power meter/GPS tracker... with a transponder?
Flip that. Buy a bike computer/gps, and get the B2X for nearly free. Buy a smartphone, get the B2X/P2X for nearly free. Buy a smartwatch, get the B2X/P2X for nearly free. Buy headphones, get the B2X/P2X for nearly free.

On what’s in it for you, your bike computer will know when the light will change, let you know car back or car up, or alert you to the pedestrian about to step between cars into the lane.

-mr. bill
Old 03-27-18, 01:09 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
What if they offered a free power meter/GPS tracker... with a transponder? A free EPS or Di2 upgrade with a transponder?
I have "battery anxiety" with my lights in the winter. I would prefer the cars avoid me without me worrying about another battery.

I think this whole idea of transponders (or beacons) is the wrong solution, that it's just not feasible to get a beacon on every bike. And I don't get why people on bikes might need one, but people not on bikes wouldn't need on. (I understand bikes might interact with cars more than pedestrians do, but still...)
Old 03-27-18, 01:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I don't get why people on bikes might need one, but people not on bikes wouldn't need on. (I understand bikes might interact with cars more than pedestrians do, but still...)
No you go it fine.

stone-Age simple. A pedestrian is only on the road (legally and safely) in very specific situations---crosswalks, with the lights, obeying traffic signals ......

Bikes can Always be on the road, anywhere at any time. in most cases either a pedestrian has to get really stupid, or a driver has to get even stupider, for the two to come together. most pedestrians don't walk in the street and most drivers don't drive on the sidewalks (where I live.)

Car drivers don't look for bikes on the road. But ... they are there. and since they are on (usually) the side of the road, not dead center in the lane, it is easy to overlook cyclists as "stuff not on the roadway" or 'stuff not in my path of travel."

Even a big "Take the Lane!" cyclist will eventually have to let cars by ... or get run over.

Anther thing is hills. There are a couple of routes I used to ride with a climb, a descent, and a turn I wanted to take. Always a compromise. if I move left to make the right turn with pace, i am in the lane ... and a car cresting the peak won't see me. if I stay hard right I have to brake hard. if there is anything on the edge of the road which might force me left into the lane, i am back in front of the car who is speeding downhill before his eyes see the road ahead, and the cyclist in the road.

I wouldn't complain if the driver got an alarm before cresting the hill.

Either way I won't complain but you did answer your own question. Bikes are often in the road, pedestrians are Rarely in the road.
Old 03-27-18, 01:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
On what’s in it for you, your bike computer will know when the light will change, let you know car back or car up, or alert you to the pedestrian about to step beween cars into the lane.
Can I get the Emergency Vehicle version that will make the light change for me?

Actually, the ability to prevent cross traffic from getting a green until an intersection clears would be a huge plus.

Of course, there is a risk of hitting a light late in the green, but I have a couple of lights that will short-cycle me, so I can start up as soon as I get the green, and get a yellow, then red, and cross-traffic gets a green before I clear the intersection. Usually it isn't a big problem, but there is one light that I hit from a bike path that is downright dangerous. And, one of the categories in some accident summaries is "trapped", where a cyclist gets a red while still in the intersection and gets exposed to cross-traffic.
Old 03-27-18, 02:07 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Maelochs
A pedestrian is only on the road (legally and safely) in very specific situations---crosswalks, with the lights, obeying traffic signals ......
You can't rely on a "legally and safely" requirement of pedestrian behavior. Ask Uber. A car must be able to see all humans that might be in its path. People cross streets outside of crosswalks all the time.

Last edited by tyrion; 03-27-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 04:23 PM
tyrion

Now that I would buy and keep its battery charged.
Old 03-27-18, 05:21 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Originally Posted by tyrion
Now that I would buy and keep its battery charged.
Old 03-27-18, 10:54 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Can I get the Emergency Vehicle version that will make the light change for me?.
I was recently stopped at one of my city’s long red lights when I noticed a technician with his head in the control box. So I asked him if he could just trip the green so I could go. He laughed and pointed up to the top of the pole and said “You need to get the thing that triggers that detector and you’ll always get a green light”. Gotta love a traffic engineer with a sense of humor. Makes me think....
Old 03-27-18, 11:59 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Until they have to microchip every fox, squirrel, Badger and deer they ain't microchipping me.
Actually your cell phone already does that quite satisfactorily. This ain't 1984.
Old 03-28-18, 02:03 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
If autonomous cars don't end up significantly safer than driven ones without requiring the rest of road users (and even pedastrians walk on the road where I live on account of there not being a sidewalk) to carry transponders, then it's obviously not yet time for fully autonomous cars. Even if some industries would profit madly from them.

Sure, I can worry about keeping a transponder device charged, ready, and in good working order. My kids ride their bikes around the neighboorhood (which, as I mentioned, doesn't have a sidewalk) whenever they like, and they sure as hell won't be checking whether their transponder is working every time they start a ride.
Old 03-28-18, 03:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
If autonomous cars don't end up significantly safer than driven ones without requiring the rest of road users (and even pedastrians walk on the road where I live on account of there not being a sidewalk) to carry transponders, then it's obviously not yet time for fully autonomous cars.
And thus should the discussion be ended.
Old 03-28-18, 06:24 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Actually your cell phone already does that quite satisfactorily. This ain't 1984.
Sometimes.
Old 03-28-18, 06:29 AM
mr_bill

V2X and/or C-V2X has little to do with autonomous automobiles.

In fact, V2X and/or C-V2X are rolling out now in non-autonomous vehicles - see platooning.
They'll also roll out in high end luxury vehicles, because, cool.

And the premise of the click-bait in the OP is FALSE, "they" aren't requiring you to install a "detection beacon" on your bike, let alone "chipping" you.

Now back to our regular utopian/distopian fantasies and range anxiety.

-mr. bill
Old 03-28-18, 10:02 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
14Hz
Old 03-29-18, 08:26 AM
Coasterbrakefan

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is so stupid. If a self driving car can't work like a car that's driven buy a human (excluding the road rage ), than it's not to be allowed on the roads. Period.

The fact that they're even discussing this is ludicrous. They might as well say: "Our self driving cars can detect pretty much anything except for bicyclists. But bicyclists don't matter, so we'll stop short of designing our cars to detect bicyclists."

BikesnobNYC sums it up pretty well.

Alas, as the driverless era dawns, it’s hard not to suspect it will be more of the same for us cyclists. See, we’re a “problem” for this technology, which struggles to detect us. Therefore, various companies are developing “bicycle-to-vehicle communications.” This is a polite way of saying that in addition to the helmet and reflective clothing and lights and hand signals you’re already supposed to be using, you’ll also have to incorporate some sort of personal locator beacon to guarantee that these autonomous systems can “see” you. If you’re a fan of helmet-shaming this is great news, because you’re going to love Victim-Blaming 2.0, which will involve people blaming cyclists for their own deaths because they weren’t riding around with homing devices or subcutaneous microchips.

https://www.outsideonline.com/229290...-save-cyclists
Old 03-29-18, 09:19 AM
mr_bill

BikeSnobNYC has bought into the fauxrage I see.

Again, *NOBODY* is forcing anybody to ride with homing devices or subcutaneous microchips.

This has almost *NOTHING* to do with automated vehicles. First gen systems just WARN the driver.

You can BUY IT TODAY, because, you have money and you think it's cool (see pp. 240-242).

-mr. bill
Old 03-29-18, 09:21 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
To be honest, I'd have no problem with having a beacon on my bike, as long as it doesn't cost too much. But, I do think cars shouldn't require this.
Old 03-29-18, 10:17 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you mean sonar?
Old 03-29-18, 01:12 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I'd love to see an explanation of how a passive device could provide that.
I can believe that the RFID scanner could add it's own location/speed/etc to a scan.
But I can't imagine how a passive device could originate it.

ETA Some googling turns up Active RFID which is powered RFID device, but were are back to something that requires a battery or an electrical system on the object being tracked.
I'm not finding the exact application story that I'm looking for... but basically HARTING is using a cable as an antenna. This creates a field along the cable and software can calculate location based on where the RFID is detected on along the cable. This application is a controlled environment in a manufacturing facility - nothing like the roads. This tech is not ready for the autonomous vehicle detecting bikes.

Promo video with info on the tech

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-30-18 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 06:49 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
you mean sonar?
Only if you have gills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.