Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated my inner tube

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated my inner tube

Old 05-14-19, 07:51 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
It wasn't baloney. It was a reasonable scenario.

Saying Wal Mart Tubes fail because the glue used by the aliens who make them disintegrates in Earth's nitrogen heavy atmosphere is baloney.

Saying that cheap parts might have some quality assurance issues isn't exactly going out on a limb.
I would disregard both statements at there is no evidence provided for either.
Old 05-14-19, 11:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Why would she?

This thread has become very strange.
Excellent. I'm not woke enough to have thought of that solution
Old 05-14-19, 01:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It's just a wording of the puzzle that left an out. Normally it would be, "...does he shave himself?"
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-14-19, 01:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I'm also not woke enough to have ambiguized the puzzle on purpose.
Old 05-14-19, 04:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
@biketube_guy, what is your opinion about carrying tubes in a tool pouch for a couple/three years? I hear they don't do well when exposed to oxygen for long periods, but I'm skeptical.

Last edited by Korina; 05-14-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 04:24 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Hysterical all the possible causes based on our own experiences. Most of my flats come from pinch flats. Yes underinflation! So, it seems obvious to me that your tires were under-inflated and a large strand of carpet fiber pinched the tube and caused the subsequent blowout.😎
Old 05-14-19, 06:39 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
@biketube_guy, what is your opinion about carrying tubes in a tool pouch for a couple/three years? I hear they don't do well when exposed to oxygen for long periods, but I'm skeptical.
You're using argon in your floor pump, right?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-14-19, 08:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You're using argon in your floor pump, right?
No, xenon. Is this wrong?? Now I'm worried!
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-15-19, 06:50 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
No, xenon. Is this wrong?? Now I'm worried!
You rookies...

Helium is what you put in the pump.

It makes the bike lighter.

Duh....

The hard part is getting the hydrogen fusion reactor working to create the helium....
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-15-19, 08:37 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I scared the you-know-what out of a cube farm once when a tube blew in the office.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 05-15-19, 06:14 PM
RidesaCarlton

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
exploding tire

Back when I was young, dinosaurs rode steel frames, and tubular tires.

I was at the National track championships (spectating) when we all heard a loud bang. It seems that one of the riders competed early in the day, and was going to compete again later. The Clemont Seta #3 tubular had been inflated to competition pressure, and left out in the sun, as the day warmed up. No pinch flat. No-one had even thought of using nitrogen. It was good old air that expanded in the sun, and the heat of the day.

The Clemont Seta was about 165 grams, made out of silk. No idea how many threads per inch, because we rated tires based upon weight. It would last about 20 miles before no-one would trust it to ride further. If you placed the sidewall on a newspaper, you could read the type through it.

Most of the people laughed, but several ran towards the parked bikes to let air out of tires.
Likes For RidesaCarlton:
Old 05-15-19, 07:59 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
"She" was the only clear way out of the riddle I could find too.
The barber could also be a boy, too young to shave. Or he had scant facial hair which he plucked, like Native Americans. Or who knows they might have trained a monkey to do it.
Old 05-17-19, 10:39 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I only use SCHWALBE tubes with my SCHWABLE tyres. Why half-ass it?

edit: Forgot the hyphen in half-ass. Corrected now.
I've had Schwalbe tubes fail for no particular reason, just like cheap ones. I'm not convinced they're any different, except for the price.
Old 05-18-19, 12:05 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Skipjack's not going to care what anyone else has to say about his flat, but I thought I'd chime in here about tubes too small for the tires.

Back when I was working in a shop, a coworker thought it would be a great way to save weight by using a 26x1" tube in his mountain bike wheels. It's probably the power of suggestion, but now I seem to remember that the first couple of times he complained about the tire suddenly blowing out when he was Just Riding Along.

It took him a while to figure out that a thorn that would normally cause a slow leak in a properly fitting tube instantly causes an undersized tube to blow out and tear.

I'd like to think that I'm aware enough that with up to four bikes in my immediate area at work, if I heard a bang I'd figure it out quickly enough to immediately pull a Nelson Muntz, "Ha ha!" even at myself. I'm sure that with enough practice, one can distinguish between a failed seam, a sidewall failure, and a pinched tube.

Last edited by Geekage; 05-18-19 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 05:18 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Nevermind.
Brent
Old 05-19-19, 09:43 PM
Renato GF Naso

Bikes: Atala (racer) OK, Schrade (racer) OK, Mittelholzer (tourer) not yet, Künsting (city-bike) OK, Huffy (winter-bike [spikes]) OK, Graziella (tandem) not yet.

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...9#post20927169
Posted by: MNHarv
On: 05-13-19 12:46 PM

Quote: Renato GF Naso also forgot about all the animal sacrifice for human sin which is prescribed in the old testament. Man, those are
some complicated methods of absolution for screwing up. And Jesus also performed two miracles involving killing an untold
amount of fish: The apostles were fishing and weren't catching anything. He showed them the immediate value of obedience by
telling them to do something on faith. They followed his command and could barely pull their fishing nets in for all the fish the nets
held. The second fish killing miracle was when Jesus fed the five thousand. Now that's a lot of fish! End of quote.

(I don't need to comment the old testament... it will speak for itself, just by reading the first chapters!) When Jesus fed the five thousand,
he didn't kill five thousand fish (he did that with the 153 large fish), since his "dear father in heaven" (a space-ship in the shape and
color of a black dice with 144'000 cabins) has sent a matter-multiplying ray, to do the job!

I've got to try here, because I've been banned from another forum ("Why are cars so much more popular than bicycles ?") not because
I've been offending someone, but because I'm a believer in (NONVIOLENT!!) religious communism!! (The best thing for America and the
rest of the world!!) and it looks like I'm too revolutionary for a "normal" mind! The guy who banned me and has deleted five of my
commentaries:

Please avoid religious commentary in Bike Forums, it can become very disruptive and hostile when people disagree on strongly held
beliefs. Believe me, it only takes one or two remarks to set some people off in the wrong direction. In general please stay on topic, you
have strayed more than once in this thread.

BillyD
Admin

Anybody can write stuff other than on bikes, but me! So much for "democracy" and "freedom of speech"!
Old 05-20-19, 06:36 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Renato GF Naso

I've got to try here, because I've been banned from another forum ("Why are cars so much more popular than bicycles ?") not because
I've been offending someone, but because I'm a believer in (NONVIOLENT!!) religious communism!! (The best thing for America and the
rest of the world!!) and it looks like I'm too revolutionary for a "normal" mind! The guy who banned me and has deleted five of my
commentaries:

Please avoid religious commentary in Bike Forums, it can become very disruptive and hostile when people disagree on strongly held
beliefs. Believe me, it only takes one or two remarks to set some people off in the wrong direction. In general please stay on topic, you

BillyD
Admin

Anybody can write stuff other than on bikes, but me! So much for "democracy" and "freedom of speech"!
That only works in some public areas or on your own property.

Members of any forum, including this one, are guests in someone else's house. We don't pay the "mortgage" or do the maintenance here, so the people that do pay the mortgage and do the maintenance are allowed to ask the members to follow the rules or leave.

Free speech and democracy simply don't apply in someone else's house.

Same goes for my kids in my own house. I'm the king. If they want to be a king, they have to get their own house.
Old 05-20-19, 07:04 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Renato GF Naso
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthrea...9#post20927169
Posted by: MNHarv
On: 05-13-19 12:46 PM

Quote: Renato GF Naso also forgot about all the animal sacrifice for human sin which is prescribed in the old testament. Man, those are
some complicated methods of absolution for screwing up. And Jesus also performed two miracles involving killing an untold
amount of fish: The apostles were fishing and weren't catching anything. He showed them the immediate value of obedience by
telling them to do something on faith. They followed his command and could barely pull their fishing nets in for all the fish the nets
held. The second fish killing miracle was when Jesus fed the five thousand. Now that's a lot of fish! End of quote.

(I don't need to comment the old testament... it will speak for itself, just by reading the first chapters!) When Jesus fed the five thousand,
he didn't kill five thousand fish (he did that with the 153 large fish), since his "dear father in heaven" (a space-ship in the shape and
color of a black dice with 144'000 cabins) has sent a matter-multiplying ray, to do the job!

commentaries:

BillyD
Admin

So you just pick the most active threads in each forum and post something totally unrelated to the topic or to bikes in general....and you're just shocked that it's deleted?

For real?

And the First Amendment says 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech...."

Congress isn't doing it. Bikeforums is. The First Amendment says nothing about preventing Bikeforums from abridging all the speech it wants to on Bikeforums.
Old 05-20-19, 10:13 AM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi Korina, I would definitely check a tube that's been in your pouch more than 2 years, and probably replace with a freshie to be safe. There are varying qualities of tubes, often the cheapies have additives in the material. Tubes are made from butyl rubber, a synthetic rubber, which has a good shelf life and is fairly resistant to ozone attack. I wouldn't bother with airtight containers unless you're talking really long term, but it couldn't hurt. The most important things you can do is keep them away from direct sunlight and oils, and protect them from sharp objects in your tool pouch, where vibrations can damage them. Biketube Brand's TubeSock is perfect for this application (shameless self promotion there!).
Old 05-20-19, 10:20 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by biketube guy
Hi Korina, I would definitely check a tube that's been in your pouch more than 2 years, and probably replace with a freshie to be safe. There are varying qualities of tubes, often the cheapies have additives in the material. Tubes are made from butyl rubber, a synthetic rubber, which has a good shelf life and is fairly resistant to ozone attack. I wouldn't bother with airtight containers unless you're talking really long term, but it couldn't hurt. The most important things you can do is keep them away from direct sunlight and oils, and protect them from sharp objects in your tool pouch, where vibrations can damage them. Biketube Brand's TubeSock is perfect for this application (shameless self promotion there!).
Is coating the spare tube in powder so it doesn't rub on itself a good idea or bad idea?

Obviously it will prevent friction wearing...but will the powder dry it out prematurely?
Old 05-20-19, 10:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

(shameless self promotion there!).
On the one hand, shilling is not allowed on BF; but on the other hand, I am glad that I now know about your product. I will probably buy a sock at some point, since my wife seems to like organizing bags of things using smaller bags, and the SNL reference is funny.
Old 05-20-19, 10:30 AM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A light dusting of talc on a tube is a good thing. It helps prevent the tube getting stuck between the rim and the tire bead when installing; a very common install mistake. It will also help keep the tube from sticking to the tire. Too much talc is a bad thing, because it can clump up and actually cause the tube to wear in that area. A light dusting won't cause the tube to dry out prematurely.
Likes For biketube guy:
Old 05-20-19, 10:51 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I usually use the one in the rack trunk to replace the flat when I have one, and haven't had to worry about tubes getting too old.
Old 05-20-19, 11:03 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Thanks, biketube_guy. My overly cautious husband makes me keep them in a baggie in my seatbag, and after the fifth puncture on my bike's stock tube I went ahead and used the spare; so far, so good. I'll put the new spare in another baggie.

ETA: And I'll give it a dusting of baby powder.
Old 05-20-19, 11:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Thanks, biketube_guy. My overly cautious husband makes me keep them in a baggie in my seatbag, and after the fifth puncture on my bike's stock tube I went ahead and used the spare; so far, so good. I'll put the new spare in another baggie.

ETA: And I'll give it a dusting of baby powder.
I do that also, not only for the ozone but also the wrapper helps to keep things from catching and poking into it when I shove stuff in. Also if you put the stick-on patches in there it keeps them losing the adhesive so quickly. I don't normally use those, but there's not much reason not to keep a few for the last resort.
Likes For wphamilton:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.