Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favorite Winter Shoes? Likes/Dislikes?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 10:26 AM
sweetcyclists
Craigslist Addict

Bikes: Zipp 2001, Specialized Roubaix, Felt FA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I'm curious what everyone's favorite winter shoes are for cycling with? I've been disappointed with toe covers in the past, so going with a dedicated winter shoe seems like a good option especially as most of them are also waterproof (no need for plastic bags!).

As with most cycling products, the winter shoes seem to be as expensive as lightweight carbon shoes. The lowest temps I see here in Northern California are only 30s, but that's cold enough to make it unpleasant to ride. I'm also curious if anyone has used the FLR Defender shoes in particular. I have the opportunity to review them in the near future, and would be curious how they hold up in longer-term use.
Old 12-01-19, 11:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetcyclists
I'm curious what everyone's favorite winter shoes are for cycling with? I've been disappointed with toe covers in the past, so going with a dedicated winter shoe seems like a good option especially as most of them are also waterproof (no need for plastic bags!).

As with most cycling products, the winter shoes seem to be as expensive as lightweight carbon shoes. The lowest temps I see here in Northern California are only 30s, but that's cold enough to make it unpleasant to ride. I'm also curious if anyone has used the FLR Defender shoes in particular. I have the opportunity to review them in the near future, and would be curious how they hold up in longer-term use.
I have Lake MZX303 and Lake MX145. I’ve also had a Shimano MW501 (or equivalent) shoe. All of them work quite well. The MX145 and Shimano shoes are lighter and only good for down to about freezing. They aren’t as hot when the temperature fluctuates to the 60s but they aren’t great if the temperature is lower. The MZX303 is better for very low temperatures but is hot and sweaty about about 40°F. They are also heavier.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-10-19, 01:02 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
My velo stays about 15 degrees warmer than ambient, and I don't have to worry about wind, but my feet still get cold when the temps are below 40 (using normal bike shoes).

Do you think the MW501 or similar would probably do in that case?