Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Goggles - Glasses for winter riding

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Goggles - Glasses for winter riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 02:50 PM
JAHowe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been enjoying my Uvex Downhill II, ($20 at REI online) . The amber lens takes the punch out of oncoming headlights at night. Fog free, mostly, just a quick turn of the head will force more air into the vent and clear the rare fogging. They are also listed to be OTG.
Old 02-03-11, 03:13 PM
mustachiod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old ski goggles over balaclava

no exposed skin!
Old 02-03-11, 07:40 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear safety glasses from the hardware store in spring/summer/fall, tinted or clear depending on how light it is. In the winter, I use clear ski goggles.
Old 02-03-11, 07:43 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5453 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
Got some of these today. They work well, they breathe, and they fit over my glasses.

https://www.harborfreight.com/splash-...gle-97140.html

Last edited by sknhgy; 02-03-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-07-11, 11:53 PM
tligman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a big head and glasses, so I bought decent ski goggles at Dick's Sporting Goods for $60 or so, and I no longer look like I've been crying for hours at the end of a winter ride
Old 02-09-11, 09:31 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5453 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
My $6 Harbor Freight goggles did well for about 3 miles in the 0 degree weather. Then they fogged up. Do ski goggles not fog up? I would pay some bucks for googles that don't fog up. I am tired of getting 5 miles from home and not being able to see, but it's too cold to ride without eye protection.
Old 02-14-11, 07:35 AM
JAHowe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ski googles only fog when I expell a big breath up towards them, then clear. They are double lensed and have a "super anti-fog" coatings. Shop now for next year.
Old 02-14-11, 03:40 PM
bwe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear my regular old glasses - the ones I see with. They get fogged up if I cover my mouth or nose with anything, so I ride around with my face exposed. I wear a balaclava, but I keep it pulled below my chin. That works for me down to about 0 F. I don't really want to ride in anything colder than that anyhow.
Old 02-14-11, 07:16 PM
HappyStuffing
6 miles per taco, w00t!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Half face mask and ski goggles (clear) for me on subzero days. Otherwise it is clear safety glasses given to me from my uncle who works at an airplane factory. Apparently they give out safety glasses like candy there.
Old 02-16-11, 05:33 AM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they are unnecessary for winter riding. I've ridden down to -40 wind chill without goggles, and I've been fine. My strategy is to pull the bottom of my balaclava up right below my eyes, and bring my stocking hat down to the top of my eyes. That way, only a narrow slit is exposed to the elements. This narrow slit doesn't really have to chance to get frost bitten since it's close the mouth, which gives off so much heat.

Goggles always fog up or get clammy after a while; they just over complicate things for me. The one time eye protection is nice is when heavy precipitation is falling.
Old 12-10-11, 06:02 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Bumped. This is a good discussion and I had to go back 5 pages to find it.

Old 12-10-11, 06:28 PM
gbg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would use Oakley M frames, but they did fog on occasion and were a little inadequate when the temps really dropped.
I bought some jawbones with vented lenses so they might help in the fogging and have little better protection in the colder temps.
But I think I am going to get ski goggles for the -20 and below stuff. I have held off because I think they would fog worse,
especially after a hard effort and stopping, that's when most of my fogging happens. And once things a re fogged/frozen at -20 and colder
its' hard to unfog. I may bite the bullet this year and try some Oakley A frames.
Old 12-10-11, 06:43 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear clear and yellow-lens wrap arounds that have foam rubber surrounding each individual len, then I coat each lens with Catcrap Anti-Fog (no Sh**, Catcrap).

On really blizzardy days I wear clear goggles with a plastic lower face guard, again with Catcrap on the lenses. I will also wear a neoprene facemask underneath and a neck gaitor. I also have a neoprene skullcap that extends down an inch or so below my ears under my helmet. This setup has served me well in bilzzard conditions down to -20*.
Old 12-10-11, 09:31 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Polycarbonate safety glasses from Big Box Home and Building Center (Lowes, Menards, Home Depot) but I do have some problems with fogging. I got some anti-fog spray and tried that, it helps, but not much. Anyone ever try Rain-X, intended for vehicle windows and mirrors?
Old 12-10-11, 10:47 PM
hilltowner

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I use something I picked up through an EMS catalog. I've used ski goggles as well but these have been better so far. At 40 mph+ on the first leg of my ride into work I need something over my eyes. The rest of the ride is flat and the ski goggles tended to fog. These generally don't.

Last edited by hilltowner; 11-15-19 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 09:41 AM
goalieMN
Got Scotch?

Bikes: QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scheherezade
I think they are unnecessary for winter riding. I've ridden down to -40 wind chill without goggles, and I've been fine. My strategy is to pull the bottom of my balaclava up right below my eyes, and bring my stocking hat down to the top of my eyes. That way, only a narrow slit is exposed to the elements. This narrow slit doesn't really have to chance to get frost bitten since it's close the mouth, which gives off so much heat.

Goggles always fog up or get clammy after a while; they just over complicate things for me. The one time eye protection is nice is when heavy precipitation is falling.
Since I found a face-mask at REI that allows me to use my goggles and not fog up at all, even when looking behind me or to the side, I really enjoy not having my eyes exposed. Especially on my commute home at midnight on really cold Minnesota mornings.....
Old 12-12-11, 10:24 AM
JAHowe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going into winter in Madison, and pulled out the goggles. When it drops below 40 F, I tear up and become annoyed at the currents of cold air around my temples and forehead. I retrain myself to breath down, and enjoy the ability to keep my eyes wide open at 20mph. Last year, I iced up the front of a sweater on a 5 mile ride. It is impressive, the amount of moisture contained in the breath. To think a magic anti-fog coating can counter a continuous onslaught of moist breath, is just fool-hearty. I cultivate my own face protection, but there is the negative side effect of the wife keeping a safe distance for the winter.

I multipurpose the ski helmet and goggles, used mostly for winter biking, as protection when snow-blowing the driveway.
Old 12-13-11, 04:50 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JAHowe
Going into winter in Madison, and pulled out the goggles. When it drops below 40 F, I tear up and become annoyed at the currents of cold air around my temples and forehead...It is impressive, the amount of moisture contained in the breath. To think a magic anti-fog coating can counter a continuous onslaught of moist breath, is just fool-hearty....
I use safety-glasses as goggles at about 35 F and below, and I also need to wear prescription eyeglasses. I totally agree that anti-fog coatings are easily defeated by heavy vapor-laden breathing, especially at really cold temperatures. Also the strategy for trying to seal the goggles from exhalations is futile. For me the ventilation provided by the wide open sides of the safety glasses reliably keeps them and my eyeglasses clear and the windscreen of the safety glasses keeps my eyes comfortable.
Old 12-13-11, 05:39 AM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott OTG ski goggles. As said they cover a lot of skin and if they fog a little, which is unusual, just turn your head a bit and the wind usually fixes it. If you have a lot of fog use some Rain-X glass treatment.
Old 12-13-11, 07:20 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I cant expose my eyes on the bike period because they water way too much in the wind. It's annoying and dangerous, then when it's super cold the tears freeze and I can barely see. Not good.

So down to 30F a variety of sunglasses, or clear glasses at night. Under 30F - Oakley A frame goggles.The vent enough that it's hard to get them to fog. Problem solved.
Old 12-14-11, 07:14 AM
G1nko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Global Vision Spider Motorcycle Goggles on Amazon for $20. I specifically bought them for use in cold weather. They are vented on the bottom so they don't fog and they came with a clear lens and a smoke lens. I use the clear lens in the morning in the dark and change out to the smoke lens in the afternoon.

The price seems to fluctuate a lot, however. I just bopped over to Amazon and the price is now $30. There's another website out there selling the same goggles for $40. It pays to shop around.
Old 12-20-11, 05:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
racquetball glass without the strap
Old 01-10-12, 07:17 PM
RocDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of helmet and face mask are these?

Originally Posted by Joe1946
This what I used today since it was below zero in the morning :
Old 01-11-12, 07:00 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Seirus Innovation Ultra Clava is the one I got that looks similar to the one above. I use it between 15°F and 5°F. Below 5°F, I use goggles and a Talus Outdoor Technologies ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava.
Old 01-11-12, 10:03 AM
dave s

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kroops Goggles US made, work great!

https://kroopsgoggles.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.