Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 04:53 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Another awesome ride today. Summer is back. Temperature was 64F at the start of the ride, 72 F when I got home. Did 36 miles and the best part is that my average speed was slightly more than 1 mph faster than its been for the past 2 years. I know its not because we went out with friends last night and ate pasta at the Macaroni Grill.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-11-10, 06:06 PM
Bare Feet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
55 mile ride on a PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT, day!

65 degrees, light overcast, light winds and little traffic.

Finished in 3 hours, 5 minutes. One of my fastest rides, for the distance, all year.
Glad to hear you had a perfect ride! Especially after the teeth chilling one you last posted about

I rode 29 miles with the Ladies group yesterday. 16-19 mph pace. Near the end we hit the hill (which really isn't that big, now that I've seen the Baldy thread!). After the hill though, I was shot and struggled to hit 14 mph; the group had to wait for me twice.
Old 11-11-10, 08:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
Glad to hear you had a perfect ride! Especially after the teeth chilling one you last posted about

I rode 29 miles with the Ladies group yesterday. 16-19 mph pace. Near the end we hit the hill (which really isn't that big, now that I've seen the Baldy thread!). After the hill though, I was shot and struggled to hit 14 mph; the group had to wait for me twice.
Sounds like you've come a long way in a short time! That Baldy climb isn't all that tough, especially if you turn around at the village like most people. You could work up to it with some time on hills.
Old 11-12-10, 12:44 AM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
37 miles, very nice day, some wind and high clouds. Meant to go further but got a call from my wife and daughter to have lunch for Veterans Day. Recalled some of my friends and school mates who were KIA. RIP.
Old 11-12-10, 07:58 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
No rain on Thursday, so I went out for a nice 42 miles in the farm lands north and west of Eugene.
Old 11-12-10, 09:06 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Hi Bare feet,

Thank you for the kind words. Like yourself, I enjoy my rides. I just enjoy some more than others!

Michael
Old 11-12-10, 03:14 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Three hours of mtb'ing with a couple friends. I crashed on the damp leaves less than the others but the bruise on my thigh is probably one I'll remember.
Old 11-12-10, 07:05 PM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Sounds like you've come a long way in a short time! That Baldy climb isn't all that tough, especially if you turn around at the village like most people. You could work up to it with some time on hills.
Thanks for the encouragement big john. I'll keep plugging. Maybe work one day/wk just hills.

Today I rode a quick 17 miles. Interesting- my effort to reach the same speed seems so much more when I'm alone vs. in the group! (I was forewarned about the group adrenaline factor!)
Old 11-12-10, 07:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Nice day:74 miles: 2 flats, glass and sharp metal. 65*-81* Sunny

Old 11-12-10, 08:55 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement big john. I'll keep plugging. Maybe work one day/wk just hills.

Today I rode a quick 17 miles. Interesting- my effort to reach the same speed seems so much more when I'm alone vs. in the group! (I was forewarned about the group adrenaline factor!)
Ask your coach and others in the ride group for tips on shifting, and cadence on hills. They can help you judge the hill and the gear change strategy for the hill given the slope and length, then practice doing hill repeats until you can hammer it.
Old 11-13-10, 01:48 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
2 hours in 35-40F with 5-10 mph wind. Had a great time!!

2 mile walk, first full resistance/weight lifting workout since my l4-l5 fusion October 12.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-13-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-13-10, 06:44 PM
LAriverRat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
46 miles, 68 degrees when i left, 81 degrees on the return trip. Lots of families, loose dogs, old geezers like me, horses, birds, packs of teens, insects. Must of have been a go out and ride your horse day as i saw the most riders i have ever seen. Sunny, some high clouds, some wind. Just a great day to ride.
Old 11-14-10, 01:45 PM
ItsJustAHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
38 miles, 2500' of climbing yesterday. Just a gorgeous day to be on the bike. Pushed the pace a bit, trying to get the average speed up for the organized rides in the spring.
Old 11-14-10, 04:44 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not posted too much lately but I have not stopped riding. Since last post I have 13 rides in and they average 34 miles or so. I started riding in the dark after work on a rail-trail with new headlight and I think it's working out not too bad so I can keep riding after work for a lot longer in the year, heck maybe all year if the weather is not too bad. It is a new thing for me to ride in the dark. I have not ridden on the road yet only the rail-trail, I may ride on road but will wait till I figure out if I really want to take the bigger risk. I haul the bike to the trail head so I lose about 9 miles total of riding if I rode from home.

This morning I went out with the idea for getting a 45-60 miler in to get monthly miles up and as I rode I kept adding places where I wanted to go and ended up with a unplanned 106 miler! My average speed was 16.5 which I think was not too bad in the colder weather and all.
Cold when I left, 37 degrees, and it warmed up to 64 when I finished.
I recently bought a pair of Gore Bike Wear OXYGEN THERMO Overshoe and they are great! Toes have not gotten cold at all when I have worn them so far. I think I have solved the cold feet problem I had.

Well I guess that is all....back to your regular scheduled programming.
Old 11-14-10, 04:46 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by kr32
I have not posted too much lately but I have not stopped riding. Since last post I have 13 rides in and they average 34 miles or so. I started riding in the dark after work on a rail-trail with new headlight and I think it's working out not too bad so I can keep riding after work for a lot longer in the year, heck maybe all year if the weather is not too bad. It is a new thing for me to ride in the dark. I have not ridden on the road yet only the rail-trail, I may ride on road but will wait till I figure out if I really want to take the bigger risk. I haul the bike to the trail head so I lose about 9 miles total of riding if I rode from home.

This morning I went out with the idea for getting a 45-60 miler in to get monthly miles up and as I rode I kept adding places where I wanted to go and ended up with a unplanned 106 miler! My average speed was 16.5 which I think was not too bad in the colder weather and all.
Cold when I left, 37 degrees, and it warmed up to 64 when I finished.
I recently bought a pair of Gore Bike Wear OXYGEN THERMO Overshoe and they are great! Toes have not gotten cold at all when I have worn them so far. I think I have solved the cold feet problem I had.

Well I guess that is all....back to your regular scheduled programming.
You are doing good..

Old 11-14-10, 04:57 PM
pmcq

Bikes: Trek 1.5 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my first metric century and longest ride since I started cycling 10 months ago yesterday and had a great time. The winds were not as bad as advertised and previous practice on the hills (including the one with 11% grade) paid off. Today I did a quick recovery ride of 20 miles out to a local dam and back. Clear blue skies and temps in the low 70s made for a perfect day to be on the bike.
Old 11-14-10, 05:03 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Congratulations on the ride... You have great area to ride in.
I was out there for 3 days last summer.

Old 11-14-10, 05:27 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
You are doing good..
Coming from you that means a lot. Thanks
Old 11-14-10, 05:27 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
No -- I am in Tucson for the weekend, attending my younger niece's wedding. We drove out to the Sonora Desert museum/zoo and encountered numerous cyclists on the narrow two-lane road, but the speed limit is low (35mph mostly), and motorists appeared to be very cycle-aware and cyclist-friendly. In the parking lot I spoke to a trim and fit female cyclist who could qualify for our group, and she said it's a wonderful area for cycling. (Of course, it is November right now, with beautiful weather -- August might be something else entirely!)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-15-10, 06:50 AM
aquist

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I aam happy to sneak in my little 3 mile ride on the Peugot, it really is a snazzy retro road bike, and i love it. I am 70 and hurt my leg this summer in a fall when a stair broke, I got an infection in the wound and was told to lay off the bike riding until it healed up. the bike is a course with good components and I picked it up for 50 bucks.,,i live on a highway where cars routinely do 70 mph. i ride down the mountain to get the mail then ride the shoulder for a couple of miles. Arkansans are not into bikes a whole lot
Old 11-15-10, 03:27 PM
Mojo88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 18 miles today in some pretty high winds. The birds were flying in reverse , but it was nice to be outside and not on a trainer.
Old 11-15-10, 03:54 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Rode 38 miles with nice condition, considering the time of year.

Rode from home to the Chicago Lakefront. Traveled about 32 miles along the lake and enjoyed a 15 mph tail wind on the way home. Chatted with a 67 year old cyclist who held a strong pace, infact stronger than mine!

Stopped at Trader Joes on the way home for the wife. Purchased coffee, chocolate and Parmigiano Reggiano Stravecchio. I know what Italian ladies crave.
Old 11-15-10, 03:58 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A couple of hours - rode to the gym this am for swimming and returned with snowflakes in my face. Rode this pm to McD's where I splurged with a sundae.
Old 11-15-10, 04:57 PM
Bare Feet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Ask your coach and others in the ride group for tips on shifting, and cadence on hills. They can help you judge the hill and the gear change strategy for the hill given the slope and length, then practice doing hill repeats until you can hammer it.
Thanks to you Shifty I googled climbing tips and read this a few times https://www.cptips.com/climb.htm
On today's 29 mile ride with the Ladies, when we reached the hill, I shifted way down early and kept my cadence up. The 4 stronger riders shot off way ahead. But before I knew it, I was slowly closing the gap! As we neared the top, panting like crazy, I passed rider#4! That gave me enough of an adrenaline surge to catch and pass #3 . . a few seconds later she passed me back! lol!

I explained afterwards that I felt like I was going to die like "John Henry" trying to beat "the machine". Some had heard of John Henry, but no one knew the legend.

Last edited by Bare Feet; 11-16-10 at 04:54 AM. Reason: details : )
Old 11-15-10, 10:35 PM
ItsJustAHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single speed ride, 18 miles, high 70s. My riding partner decided to crank up the pace to 20 mph and dropped me like a bad habit. Oh well, a little lesson in humility is never a bad thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.