Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reflective Tape for Rims: A Symmetrical Solution?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 09:39 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I'm a nightrider who's exhausted with searching for tires with reflective sidewalls. My reflective Conti GPs road tires are no longer made.

Reflective "anything" simply weighs too much!

Has anyone developed a way to replicate the entirely circular strip of reflection that a reflex / reflective tire does?

And, yes, according to scientific research, it's the ENTIRE circular strip that is needed to activate the proper neurons of the avg non-cylclist, automobile operator to get the message that says, HELLO...... IT'S A BIKE!!!!!

ADDITION: I USE TWO 750 LUMEN HEADLAMPS, AND 3 CYGOLITE HOTSHOTS IN THE REAR.

Last edited by michaelm101; 02-07-23 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 09:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I always recommend a good set of lights front and rear. At the rear the Big Cobber is excellent as it has a wide and bright light that wraps around to the sides and the Urban line from Light and Motion have side lights as well. Reflective stuff is fun but lights are the most important thing as reflective stuff only works with someone else's lights if they are using them.

I remember back in the day Fiks Reflective made rim stickers but I don't know if they are still around. That is what I would go for after I got a good set of lights.
Old 02-06-23, 10:10 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I always recommend a good set of lights front and rear. At the rear the Big Cobber is excellent as it has a wide and bright light that wraps around to the sides and the Urban line from Light and Motion have side lights as well. Reflective stuff is fun but lights are the most important thing as reflective stuff only works with someone else's lights if they are using them.

I remember back in the day Fiks Reflective made rim stickers but I don't know if they are still around. That is what I would go for after I got a good set of lights.

Yes. Indeed, a given for a nightrider. I have three Cygolite Hotshots in the rear, and a Niterider 750, and L& M 750 with amber sidelights up front. I still got slammed from the rear with my Christmas tree lit back in 2016. Out for 6 mos.

I've been a nightrider since the 1990s. Reflective tires work and let you BE INTERPRETED. Put all the reflective tape on your bike and still, you wont be INTERPRETED. It's comprehension of those two circles, approximately 3-4 feet apart that screams, BIKE to a cager!!!!.
Old 02-06-23, 10:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by michaelm101
Yes. Indeed, a given for a nightrider. I have three Cygolite Hotshots in the rear, and a Niterider 750, and L& M 750 with amber sidelights up front. I still got slammed from the rear with my Christmas tree lit back in 2016. Out for 6 mos.

I've been a nightrider since the 1990s. Reflective tires work and let you BE INTERPRETED. Put all the reflective tape on your bike and still, you wont be INTERPRETED. It's comprehension of those two circles, approximately 3-4 feet apart that screams, BIKE to a cager!!!!.
That sucks, the drive probably was not going to see anything but their phone or whatever they were paying attention to that wasn't what they were supposed to.

Cager? That is such a silly term, I wish we wouldn't use it. It sounds like a rabid fan of mediocre actor Nicholas Cage.

I don't really put reflective tape on anything personally (though don't remove it if it comes already attached). I can agree the circles probably in the instance of just using reflective stuff would probably help more but I am all about lights and also maybe a noise component if I am riding solo which generally most of my trips at night are. I feel like music helps as many drivers don't actually look they are too distracted by everything else going on in their lives that isn't driving. However yeah reflective good lights all those visual clues are useless if they have a phone or touchscreen device or are eating or shaving or whatever they might be doing other than driving. It is a shame that people can be at the wheel of an automobile and be licensed to drive but not actually be doing it when they are at that wheel putting people's lives at risk for no good reason.
Old 02-06-23, 10:45 PM
michaelm101

That sucks, the drive probably was not going to see anything but their phone or whatever they were paying attention to that wasn't what they were supposed to.

Cager? That is such a silly term, I wish we wouldn't use it. It sounds like a rabid fan of mediocre actor Nicholas Cage.

I don't really put reflective tape on anything personally (though don't remove it if it comes already attached). I can agree the circles probably in the instance of just using reflective stuff would probably help more but I am all about lights and also maybe a noise component if I am riding solo which generally most of my trips at night are. I feel like music helps as many drivers don't actually look they are too distracted by everything else going on in their lives that isn't driving. However yeah reflective good lights all those visual clues are useless if they have a phone or touchscreen device or are eating or shaving or whatever they might be doing other than driving. It is a shame that people can be at the wheel of an automobile and be licensed to drive but not actually be doing it when they are at that wheel putting people's lives at risk for no good reason.
Sorry, if I offended you by the use of the term, "cager." I, myself, don't know where it originates, but if you've ever been hit (while observing the rules of the road), you'll be ok with with it, whatever the heck it refers to.
Your screen name, veganbikes' gives me an indication that you're more of a Brontosaur and perhaps, not as erked by car drivers who don't acknowledge cyclists.

I'm not understanding this: " I feel like music helps as many drivers don't actually look they are too distracted by everything else going on in their lives that isn't driving." Can you please explain/clarify?
Old 02-06-23, 11:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Sorry, if I offended you by the use of the term, "cager." I, myself, don't know where it originates, but if you've ever been hit (while observing the rules of the road), you'll be ok with with it, whatever the heck it refers to.
Your screen name, veganbikes' gives me an indication that you're more of a Brontosaur and perhaps, not as erked by car drivers who don't acknowledge cyclists.

I'm not understanding this: " I feel like music helps as many drivers don't actually look they are too distracted by everything else going on in their lives that isn't driving." Can you please explain/clarify?
No not offended just hate the term it sounds goofy. It is nothing to do with you and yes I have been hit (though thankfully not badly) and seen people be hit but I still don't care for the term. There are a lot of modern terms that the kids are using these days I just can't stand. I kind of feel like George Carlin when he was describing new boys names..."Todd and Tucker..." I feel like calling an a-hole an a-hole is plenty fine no need to make up new terms.

I am very much irked by drivers, I dislike drivers a lot especially those who decide to not pay attention to the road and those using it. I just acknowledge that if they aren't paying attention lights and reflective stuff aren't going to help that but it doesn't mean I like drivers in anyway. I had a driver honk at me tonight after I put my arm out to signal I was turning they decided to honk at me and funny thing is they were mad and we were both going to a red light that was still red by the time we got to it and had plenty of time to stay stopped. Now old me would probably have cursed at him a bunch and probably confront him but newer me decided to say "WTF you were racing to a red light" and end it at that and keep moving on.

I could still blow up at someone but I find it won't really change their driving and it is what they are looking for so if you don't give it to them, it bums them out and you aren't working yourself up just to please them. Inside I would happily rather fire off a u-lock into their skull but I am trying to be a better more positive person and not go to war over dumb stuff. That is not to say I won't protect myself or friends or family when needed but over silly nonsense I am trying to be done with that. Having seen enough crazy drivers who freak out over even just a knock on a window I don't really need anymore drama in my life for small stuff.

The music is an audible clue so if they aren't looking maybe their ears will pick it up and maybe give them another opportunity to look up and not be as distracted. In terms of the rest of it some drivers decide when they go behind the wheel driving is second, third or fourth on the list of things they need to be doing, maybe they need to look at their phones or screens or eat food or put on make up or shave or do something anything that isn't paying attention to the road.
Old 02-06-23, 11:17 PM
michaelm101

No not offended just hate the term it sounds goofy. It is nothing to do with you and yes I have been hit (though thankfully not badly) and seen people be hit but I still don't care for the term. There are a lot of modern terms that the kids are using these days I just can't stand. I kind of feel like George Carlin when he was describing new boys names..."Todd and Tucker..." I feel like calling an a-hole an a-hole is plenty fine no need to make up new terms.

I am very much irked by drivers, I dislike drivers a lot especially those who decide to not pay attention to the road and those using it. I just acknowledge that if they aren't paying attention lights and reflective stuff aren't going to help that but it doesn't mean I like drivers in anyway. I had a driver honk at me tonight after I put my arm out to signal I was turning they decided to honk at me and funny thing is they were mad and we were both going to a red light that was still red by the time we got to it and had plenty of time to stay stopped. Now old me would probably have cursed at him a bunch and probably confront him but newer me decided to say "WTF you were racing to a red light" and end it at that and keep moving on.

I could still blow up at someone but I find it won't really change their driving and it is what they are looking for so if you don't give it to them, it bums them out and you aren't working yourself up just to please them. Inside I would happily rather fire off a u-lock into their skull but I am trying to be a better more positive person and not go to war over dumb stuff. That is not to say I won't protect myself or friends or family when needed but over silly nonsense I am trying to be done with that. Having seen enough crazy drivers who freak out over even just a knock on a window I don't really need anymore drama in my life for small stuff.

The music is an audible clue so if they aren't looking maybe their ears will pick it up and maybe give them another opportunity to look up and not be as distracted. In terms of the rest of it some drivers decide when they go behind the wheel driving is second, third or fourth on the list of things they need to be doing, maybe they need to look at their phones or screens or eat food or put on make up or shave or do something anything that isn't paying attention to the road.
Thanks for your reply, but i still don't get it.
So should I be blasting music while I'm riding? I really don't have the capability to go that loud...
Old 02-06-23, 11:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thanks for your reply, but i still don't get it.
So should I be blasting music while I'm riding? I really don't have the capability to go that loud...
I am not saying blasting necessarily but music at a reasonable volume can be helpful. My speaker faces usually towards the right side so it isn't directed at myself or really anyone aside from cars who would be facing my side. Plus I think music can have a calming effect on people at least some music, granted I listen to a whole lot of different stuff so it could go from Miles Davis to Meshuggah but I do on frequent occasion get people say nice music or something to that effect. For me it also keeps me at a good pace and energized and happy. Sometimes riding to work is less than fun when you are tired and worn out but the music helps.
Old 02-06-23, 11:36 PM
michaelm101

I am not saying blasting necessarily but music at a reasonable volume can be helpful. My speaker faces usually towards the right side so it isn't directed at myself or really anyone aside from cars who would be facing my side. Plus I think music can have a calming effect on people at least some music, granted I listen to a whole lot of different stuff so it could go from Miles Davis to Meshuggah but I do on frequent occasion get people say nice music or something to that effect. For me it also keeps me at a good pace and energized and happy. Sometimes riding to work is less than fun when you are tired and worn out but the music helps.
Gothcha. I don't play music when I ride, nor do I have the ability to amplify it. I wish I could. Actually, If I had my way, I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony....Then I woke up.
Wishing you the best! Ride safely!
Old 02-06-23, 11:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Gothcha. I don't play music when I ride, nor do I have the ability to amplify it. I wish I could. Actually, If I had my way, I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony....Then I woke up.
Wishing you the best! Ride safely!
I have a now old Boombotix speaker but there are tons of bluetooth speakers these days though the Boombot has really lasted. My iPhone handles holding the tunes and getting them to play and then beam over the blueteeth to my speaker.

Thanks, you ride safely as well and have a wonderful night : )
Old 02-07-23, 12:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Schwalbe still makes reflective sidewall tires. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...3755+3764+3767

Pretty heavy, but super reliable.
Old 02-07-23, 12:48 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by caloso
Schwalbe still makes reflective sidewall tires. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...3755+3764+3767

Pretty heavy, but super reliable.
Yep! Excerpted from the initial post: Reflective "anything" simply weighs too much!
The schwalbe are excellent, btw!
Old 02-07-23, 12:53 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Something like this, maybe? Ignore everything except the two red chevrons and then think of applying more of them (I only have those on there to make it quicker to locate my valve stem). I make mine out of something like this, cutting shapes along the honeycomb patterns:

https://www.amazon.com/Prismatic-Ref...752527&sr=8-50

Or you can go to the LBS and ask if they've got any spare spoke reflectors. You could probably get as many as you want for free--not that they're all that good.

And if you want to be heard, get an AirZounds horn.

Old 02-07-23, 09:27 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Depending on the profile of your rims, you could always apply a band of 3M reflective pinstripe tape to your wheels, just inboard of the brake track , for the full-circle / halo effect.
I had that on one of my motos; I wanted red pinstripes on the black wheels, the reflective was a bonus.

If you don't have the room for a full stripe, the hash marks like rollagain has are pretty effective, especially when applied all the way around the wheel.
I've seen that treatment on a bike before, as well; the motion effect of the wheel rotating is very eye-catching
Old 02-07-23, 09:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I used to use the Contin GP4000 reflective sidewalls, too.

Now on my overnight riding wheels, I put black reflective tape on the rim. At riding speed the gaps fill in and the reflected light appears continuous. This only works if you are using aero rims. On box rims, it won't. (also use reflective ankle straps, reflective tape elsewhere at various angles, reflective gillet, etc).
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-07-23, 10:17 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
You can get these spoke reflectors which you clip on the spokes. I am running them on some of my bikes:
https://www.amazon.com/Reflector-Vis...s%2C183&sr=8-6

I have also used reflective pin stripes on frame and fenders. 3M makes these. They are about 1/4 wide and come on rolls with several feet.
Old 02-07-23, 10:20 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I'm a nightrider who's exhausted with searching for tires with reflective sidewalls. My reflective Conti GPs road tires are no longer made.

Reflective "anything" simply weighs too much!

Has anyone developed a way to replicate the entirely circular strip of reflection that a reflex / reflective tire does?

And, yes, according to scientific research, it's the ENTIRE circular strip that is needed to activate the proper neurons of the avg non-cylclist, automobile operator to get the message that says, HELLO...... IT'S A BIKE!!!!!
rim brake or disc?

if disc you could put reflective pinstripe tape on and if you were careful could do that with rim brake also

I got 1/8 reflective from the site below. it is not listed but I asked and they had it

https://vinylstriping.com/product/1-...riping-roll-1/

Old 02-07-23, 10:59 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Another vote for visiting you lbs or going online and buying 2 pairs of spoke reflectors. They work amazingly well and are easy to install and in my case remove.

Old 02-07-23, 11:00 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Where are you riding that you need this much lighting? In my experience, the most dangerous hour is sunset/dusk, not darkness. When your surroundings are dark, drivers have no problem seeing your headlight and taillight.
Old 02-07-23, 11:15 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I use 4 pieces of V82 reflective tape on each rim. Each piece is about 3/8 inch wide and about an inch long. I put them on the rim between the spokes, so a car headlight will illuminate these 'flashing" pieces from the front or rear of the bike..... not the side. I think I may have put some pieces on the side of the cranks.
V82 is probably the brightest tape..... but it's not as heavy duty as SOLAS tape.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 02-07-23, 12:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Okay. Like many here, I have been riding in traffic for five decades (and a bit.) Like most of us, I have been hit, had stuff thrown at me, been squeezed off the road .... and made a fair number of my own bone-head moves as I learned how to cooperate and "share the road."

First off---lights and reflectors Absolutely help. yes, like the rest of you, I have actually ridden up to a person sitting at an intersection, totally in phone-land .... and I realize that some of the close calls I have had have possibly been people Driving while in phone-land. Even so, most people are at least intermittently aware of the outside world while driving, Lights and reflectors help because they give the driver (and rider) a better chance to see (and be seen) .... catch a little random attention out of peripheral vision, or make enough of a disturbance and a driver might switch attention from outer space to the actual road which he or she is traversing.

Loud music is okay .... but where I live most drivers either have the heat or the air on. Some folks actually value fresh air, but most seem to be happier to be fully insulated .... I can shout loud enough to be heard over most stereos (at least, when my life in danger, i can) and still, most drivers, because they are in an insulated bubble with much more proximate sound sources.

Not saying it never works .... but I don't count on Anything being fool-proof, not even my own awareness---and I can shout Really loud .... I do Not want to have to listen to loud music throughout my ride---not yours, not mine---so personally I choose not to.

The biggest safety device (IMO) is having my head up and my wits engaged. I have had a lot of success by communicating with drivers using (other than mono-digital) hand signals, and the occasional death-fear-inspired roar or bellow.

Tape dots along the rim are almost certainly as good as continuous strips along the rim---once the wheel starts spinning, I am pretty sure the dots look like a continuous strip .... but really any kind of moving or flashing light will attract attention even for drunks or drivers mostly in phone-land.
Old 02-07-23, 12:40 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
If you are going t put reflectors in the wheel, then you might as well just go with LED lights. These are VERY noticeable. I got some for my kids' bikes

A little bit tacky yes, but if visibility is what you are after then this is it.
Old 02-07-23, 05:37 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by squirtdad
rim brake or disc?

if disc you could put reflective pinstripe tape on and if you were careful could do that with rim brake also

I got 1/8 reflective from the site below. it is not listed but I asked and they had it

https://vinylstriping.com/product/1-...riping-roll-1/
Good solution as I've had close calls in parking lots where I'm barely moving, sometimes even stopped.

Drivers need to see TWO CIRCLES to tell them it's a BIKE!!! So those stripes need to go all the way around.

The problem is, I don't think I'm capable of making a perfect circle with that tape. And I certainly don't want to ride around with crooked circles. I'd also have a hard time even looking at my bike with crooked circles.

Let's face it, humans like aesthetically pleasing things and our bikes are a big part of our lives...
Old 02-07-23, 08:50 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
I like Mr. Allen's take on retroreflection and bicycles, although it could stand some updating by mentioning newer-technology retroreflective materials.
https://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/reflectors/index.htm

I have retroreflective material on several on my bikes' wheels and frames (mostly for looks / fun), but I don't count on it for side conspicuity. In most cases, if cross traffic can see side reflection, they're too far away to hit you, and if they are on a collision course, a good headlight will be much more effective in indicating a bicycle is present and approaching / crossing.
Old 02-07-23, 11:14 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Maybe try reflective paint?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.