Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Not a flipper BUT…

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Not a flipper BUT…

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-23, 11:19 AM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 81 Posts
Not a flipper BUT…

I am present living in a temporary situation with all of my bikes and most of my tools having been moved. Not liking the idea of living without a bicycle I found a Trek 410T in my size with serviceable tires for $125, not the best deal ever but a solid value. The 410 can be brought to a rideable condition with my minimum tool kit but the wheels are not so great. Not having any wheel tools apart from a spoke wrench I reasoned purchasing another whole bicycle would likely be the most economical option.

I found this too small Nishiki Comp II on OfferUp for $50, the add was nine months old but the seller did reply and said that yes it was still for sale. Araya 20a rims, Sunshine Gyro Master hubs (Sansin branded Superbe?) correct rear spacing, ss spokes, garage kept and almost never ridden wheels easily worth 50 bucks alone. I also figured at a minimum the mint Sugino Super Mighty crank and Silca Impero pump more than justified the purchase.

A little googling revealed the Kashimax saddle to be a desirable BMX accessory so I listed it on FeeBay, it sold for $56! I then traded the frame locally for two “Mystery frames” both my size one turned out to be a Cilo 531 touring bike and the other a high end Lejeune.

I just thought someone might appreciate this tale.

1982 Nishiki Comp II

Lejeune (yellow), Cilo (white).

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 07-12-23 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-12-23, 12:01 PM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
That's some fine horse tradin' I'd say. Well done.
Old 07-12-23, 12:29 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
I'm off to dig through the pile for Kashimax saddles.
Old 07-12-23, 12:43 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Nwvlvtnr
I am present living in a temporary situation with all of my bikes and most of my tools having been moved. Not liking the idea of living without a bicycle I found a Trek 410T in my size with serviceable tires for $125, not my best deal ever but a solid value. The 410 can be brought to a rideable condition with my minimum tool kit but the wheels are not so great. Not having any wheel tools apart from a spoke wrench I reasoned purchasing another whole bicycle would likely be the most economical option.

I found this too small Nishiki Comp II on OfferUp for $50, the add had been up for 9 months but the seller did reply and said that yes it was still for sale. Araya 20a rims, Sunshine Giro Master hubs (Sansin branded Superbe?) correct rear spacing, ss spokes, garage kept and almost never ridden wheels easily worth 50 bucks alone. I also figured at a minimum the mint Sugino Super Mighty crank and Silca Impero pump more than justified the purchase.

A little googling revealed the Kashimax saddle to be a desirable BMX accessory so I listed it on FeeBay, it sold $56! I then traded the frame locally for two “Mystery frames” both my size one turned out to be a Cilo 531 touring bike and the other a high end Lejeune.

I just thought someone might appreciate this tale.

1982 Nishiki Comp II

Lejeune (yellow), Cilo (white).
-----

congratulations on some fine horse tradin' and an excellent report

Suntour Superbe hub note -

any Suntour marked hub is made by Matsumoto - not the other way round

MAEDA and Matsumoto were members of the same keiretsu, or trade association/export group

so a cycle which is equipped with MAEDA bits will usually exhibit hubs produced by Matsumoto

-----
Old 07-12-23, 01:10 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Suntour Superbe hub note -

any Suntour marked hub is made by Matsumoto - not the other way round

MAEDA and Matsumoto were members of the same keiretsu, or trade association/export group

so a cycle which is equipped with MAEDA bits will usually exhibit hubs produced by Matsumoto

-----
So as I understand Sansin/Sunshine is/are Matsumoto brand(s)? Also they made most if not all SunTour branded hubs?

Pro or Pro am was the Sansin Branded Superbe.

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 07-12-23 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 01:42 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Well done! I have twice found myself in a similar predicament . Both times I bought complete ill-fitted bikes to get wheel sets. Both times I came out on the plus side .....by a bunch! I end up with many spare parts for trade or sale plus wheels a a bargain and my original investment adequately compensated. This was the last set of wheels ......

a set of these on a $60 bike!Super Champion Gentleman 81 rims with Superbe hubs with SS spokes, plus a bunch of parts
Likes For Kabuki12: