Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's with all the overpriced Dunelts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-23, 03:38 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts

I sometimes looks at Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for deals on bikes. I've been seeing all of these Dunelts that everyone seems to think are collector's items, and are convinced are worth big money. Here's an example:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7077654899059/

This vintage Dunelt bicycle was made in England, probably in the early1950s. All of its parts are original and include a Brooks leather seat (barely worn); front basket (hard to find); reflector; pedals; brake and gear cable; badges; paint; handlebar grips. Everything. There is some rust on the front and rear splash guards. The frame is "20 and the 26" tires are in good condition,. The ride is as smooth as it was when it came off the assembly line. Dunelt, which later became known as Raleigh, is a scarce and collectible brand. With a little restoration, it would be possible to sell it online for as much as $1,000 or more. Local pickup and cash only, please.

This looks like a standard late 60s Raleigh-made Dunelt. Early 50s? Leather seat? Hard to find front basket? Dunelt later became Raleigh? Scarce and collectible? Where do they get this from?
I look at eBay, I see an post for a truly insane dollar amount ($2,680!) with some of the same description: VINTAGE DUNELT BICYCLE MADE IN ENGLAND
All original. EXCELLENT CONDITION. Kept in Nevada in a dry basement covered with a blanket thus avoiding salt air and moisture. Original Brooks seat, reflector, pedals, basket, brake and gear cables, badges, paint, handlebar grips, everything. Very minor blemishes and scratches. Tires hold air, bike rides smooth.
1960s Dunelt bicycle in beautiful unrestored condition. Made in England. The company later became known as Raleigh. The Dunelt brand is scarce and collectible.

I ran into a local seller with a beat up old Dunelt, and she wanted $1,000. She seemed offended when I told her it wasn't worth that, because "they sell for thousands on eBay." Anyone else seeing this? I'm not seeing other Raleigh marques (Triumph, Phillips, Hercules) getting pumped up like this.
Old 10-28-23, 03:44 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
It's old, it must be valuable.
Likes For brian3069:
Old 10-28-23, 03:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I had a circa 1965 Dunelt from the local Raleigh dealer (The Bicycle Exchange of Cambridge, MA). The cheaper, Raleigh made 3-speed. My buddies (twins) had the Raleighs. Better bikes, better parts and noticeably heavier. Maybe Dunelt was a company Raleigh swallowed up, but I never heard Raleigh owed anything to Dunelt beyond perhaps an acquired trade name.

My Dunelt wasn't very different from this one. I don't remember fenders but I probably had them. No front rack or basket. I probably just had Pletscher rack. 6th grade, I souped it up with a Huret 2 speed RD, center pull brakes and drop bars.

Edit: I paid roughly $40 for mine.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-28-23 at 05:09 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-28-23, 04:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Some sellers are looking only for 'that 1 special buyer'.
Old 10-28-23, 05:11 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
My sister has an old Bianchi folding bike. This was a contracted frame and it shows up under different marquees. I gave her the details but she is stuck on a $500 price tag. Been up for a couple of years. I'm sure she'll give me the I told you so someday, lol.
Old 10-28-23, 05:42 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Looking for a goldmine in the garage.

like the observation of the asking prices of Idealé saddles. The asking $ jumped from $150 to $350-500 for a steel framed saddle.

jump on the bandwagon.

later it did not hurt that the reissued idealé 90 was in that top tier price.

”there was one room in her House that was always kept locked, it was the garage”
Old 10-28-23, 06:08 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Aren't we humans idiots? I'm being optimistic here.
Likes For clubman:
Old 10-28-23, 07:28 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
About 10 years back I was looking to scavenge parts to re-make my uncle's old Superbe and I came across a ladies Dunelt for (if I remember correctly - $40.00). Aside from the basket being a bit crusty and the consumables needing replacement, it was in great shape. So great that I couldn't in good conscience part it out. I still have it for when my wife's friends come to visit and want to go riding with us.

$1,000.
Old 10-28-23, 08:18 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
$1,000.
I know, right? Even a pre-Raleigh Dunelt isn't worth that. Here's one that is Birmingham-made, Dunelt chainring and all:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7418680618399/
Likes For gna:
Old 10-28-23, 08:59 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
I really don’t understand how seeing someone’s crazy asking price on eBay would convince someone else that that’s “what they’re going for.” There’s a PT Barnum quote that explains it, I reckon.
Old 10-29-23, 12:19 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I own a lightweight Dunelt "Fleur de Lys" with Reynolds 531 frame. Despite it's being in poor condition and a couple parts bein non-original, I paid $50. I think that was just a fair price.

Although Raleigh did manufacture some Dunelt models beginning in the very early 60s, Raleigh did not acquire Dunelt. Dunelt was part of TI prior to TI's acquisition of Raleigh in 1960.
Old 10-29-23, 06:19 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Why so over priced?

Some sellers, who really don't understand the real value of a bike, want way to much, based on hope and lack of understanding.

Some buyers, who really don't understand the value of a bike, will pay way too much based on hope, and lack of understanding.

It happens all the time and actually happened to me with my first road bike, a Norco something or other, that I paid way to much for because I was not well informed on what I wanted to buy, hence my lack of understanding as a buyer (sorry, no pictures of that bike, my first roadie) but I was filled with hope that I had found something special (turned out the special Norco was too small, but what did I know then?).

But, as a seller, I listed this entry level Raleigh Record for $1 (one dollar) on Ebay, back in the days when I did that sort of auction thing. The bike sold for over $1000 (that's one thousand dollare plus). Why? Because two buyers who really did not understand the real value of the bike and spent way too much on hope and lack of understanding...
Old 10-29-23, 06:09 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Some sellers, who really don't understand the real value of a bike, want way to much, based on hope and lack of understanding.
Originally Posted by nlerner
I really don’t understand how seeing someone’s crazy asking price on eBay would convince someone else that that’s “what they’re going for.” There’s a PT Barnum quote that explains it, I reckon.
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Some sellers are looking only for 'that 1 special buyer'.
Some times all these things line up. Today I bought a Takara 960 Deluxe Touring exactly like the one I rode when I was in high school. In recent years, I've bought a 950 Deluxe 12 and a 970 Grand Touring. But the Deluxe Touring was what I was looking for. While I didn't pay an obscene price for it, it was more than it was worth to almost anybody but me.

The seller bought the bike new in '80 and so had a bit of nostalgia attached to it. However he did not know what to ask so he consulted eBay. Fortunately he didn't see some of the Takaras I've seen on eBay. I was that one special buyer he needed to come along. I knew it was a heavy middle of the road, bike boom bike, but I wanted to replace the bike I tossed on the trash heap and regretted throwing away 30 years ago. As long as everyone is happy at the end of the day it's all good.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 10-30-23, 06:37 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Related - I'm a guitar guy. From the '60s into the very early '80s, there was a sprawling dump of a music store in Greenville, SC called Dixieland Music. They had been there for a while, and all sorts of cool old guitars had accumulated in varying stages of originality and condition. The story goes that one day someone who had spent some time in uber-collector/pre-internet-influencer/early creator of the vintage guitarverse George Gruhn's shop in Nashville. He allegedly waltzed through the place, pronouncing how much the various old guitars would be worth - PROVIDED that they were in all original, excellent condition. The owner promptly jacked up all the prices, regardly of condition or originality or playability. It was kinda sad to walk through there in the mid-80s and see battered old husks coated in dust that would never be restored to playability so long as a guitar realistically worth $300 was priced at $3,000. The place is long gone now, the buildings bulldozed and probably replaced with condos.
Old 10-30-23, 08:13 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I sold a Dunelt for $100 once. It sat around the shop for about 6 months looking for the right buyer. I had spent a man-day or 2 completely overhauling it with all new pads, cables, bearings and grease in all the places except the 3-speed hub. That got a healthy dose of Phil's. $50 of new EA3's. The lady that bought it used it everyday & would bring it by the shop every once in a while for new tires. Either the Kendas sucked or she never got off the bike, even to sleep.

"Ride a wheel on Sheffield steel"

A Raleigh Sprite came in the shop not long after. I gave it the same treatment a boatload of 0000 steel-wool, and a man-day spent with Meguires cutting wax to recover the enamel paint. Man did it polish up nice. @$100 I lost money on that one too. Never did see that one again, though objectively the emerald green and gold made it a much prettier bike.

Retail value, sometimes has no rhyme or reason

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 10-30-23, 09:12 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
I see it is down to a more reasonable $200. Guess they just needed to go through the process.
Old 10-30-23, 11:58 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Why so over priced?

Some buyers, who really don't understand the value of a bike, will pay way too much based on hope, and lack of understanding.

It happens all the time and actually happened to me with my first road bike, a Norco something or other, that I paid way to much for because I was not well informed on what I wanted to buy, hence my lack of understanding as a buyer (sorry, no pictures of that bike, my first roadie) but I was filled with hope that I had found something special (turned out the special Norco was too small, but what did I know then?).

But, as a seller, I listed this entry level Raleigh Record for $1 (one dollar) on Ebay, back in the days when I did that sort of auction thing. The bike sold for over $1000 (that's one thousand dollare plus). Why? Because two buyers who really did not understand the real value of the bike and spent way too much on hope and lack of understanding...
those TEAM colors
Likes For repechage: