Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where have people been ordering spokes from lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-23, 05:27 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts

My former favorite spokes, Wheelsmith seem to be hard to come by these days. I always thought the finish on the Wheelsmith spoke was a notch above the other vendors. I note now that Pillar spokes have become more available and popular. I have also built with DT and Sapim in the past. Anyway, who are your go-to spoke suppliers these days? I will need nice springy light gauge buttted spokes for this lovely combo below. Thank you.

Likes For AngryScientist:
Old 03-07-23, 05:40 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I think Yojimbo’s Garage in Chicago still sells from their website (you have to call), or maybe they still have their ebay store? I’m not sure — it’s been a while for me, but I want to build some wheels this summer, so I’m subscribing to this thread.
Old 03-07-23, 05:42 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
The last web-based place i used, I can't recommend, wheelbuildingparts.com.

Half the spokes were labeled 1mm too long. They still worked, but that's not what I ordered. And half the spokes' threads were buggered. I couldn't spin a nipple on them loose with just my fingers. It made it much more difficult to build one of the wheels.

They also didn't send a confirmation email with a tracking number. But at least they answer their phone.

I really miss using danscomp.com.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-07-23, 06:00 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Half the spokes were labeled 1mm too long. They still worked, but that's not what I ordered. And half the spokes' threads were buggered. I couldn't spin a nipple on them loose with just my fingers. It made it much more difficult to build one of the wheels.

They also didn't send a confirmation email with a tracking number. But at least they answer their phone.

Ooof... I got spokes from wheelbuildingparts.com a couple months ago for a build, and they were fine. Just placed an order yesterday for another build... I'll report back when I receive it & give it a once-over....
Old 03-07-23, 08:24 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I haven’t ordered spokes since supplies got wonky but I did notice that Universal Cycles still has some Wheelsmith spokes for sale in limited sizes. These have been my fave brand over the years.
Likes For plonz:
Old 03-07-23, 08:36 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Sunny Spokes, awesome service, great with Sapim in particular, works with you on custom orders, superfastmonkey shipping. Good guy.
Old 03-07-23, 09:09 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
I think Yojimbo’s Garage in Chicago still sells from their website (you have to call), or maybe they still have their ebay store? I’m not sure — it’s been a while for me, but I want to build some wheels this summer, so I’m subscribing to this thread.
Yojimbo's garage doesn't have an ebay store anymore, last time I checked. But you can email or call and they will still do spokes, last time I checked (mid 2022 a friend ordered some).
Here's the website with contact info (phone and email).
yojimbosgarage.com/blog/?page_id=46

Spokes can be a little bit pricey these days, but if you get your nipples in bulk elsewhere you can cut down costs a little bit.
Old 03-07-23, 09:36 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Looking at the options, I am feeling depressed. I don't want to spend $80 for spokes to build a set of wheels. There has to be a better option.
Old 03-07-23, 09:49 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Looking at the options, I am feeling depressed. I don't want to spend $80 for spokes to build a set of wheels. There has to be a better option.
If you find that better option, PLEASE share it…. My wheel building ‘career’ only began after the commencement of the pandemic, so expensive spokes are all I’ve known!
Old 03-08-23, 12:04 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I have gone to the BikeHubStore @AngryScientist . It was a recommendation that one of the members made here on BikeForums. They may not be the least expensive, but I get my spokes quickly and in good condition. No problems.
Old 03-08-23, 12:46 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Food for thought: you can find a box of 100 uncut Sapim Race spokes in the low $50s shipped. If your lbs can cut and thread them for under $30, that would be around the same total price as some online shops, and you'll have almost 30 uncut spokes left over for the next build.

The only reason I mention this is I have an lbs (Gregg's Greenlake) that has done this in the past for me super cheap when I came in on a really slow weekday.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-08-23, 01:04 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
I get my Pillars from AExpress.

CSC has been very good for me in the past, free brass or aluminum nipples of your choice (they always add 1 or 2 extra per batch) very fast shipping, sizes spot on, and very low prices.
They even had a sale a few months ago on those same silver Novatec hubs (not labeled as Ambrosio though)

Before AliExpress I used to order Sapims from some place in Indiana (Dan's comp, something like that?)
Rose.de used to be very reasonable for DT Swiss but haven't ordered there in a long time.
Likes For Mackers:
Old 03-08-23, 01:11 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Just looked at rose.de again and they still are very reasonable, with 20 Competitions for €6.80 and singles for €0.39.
Old 03-08-23, 05:56 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
You can also go to ebay and see what's around. I find searching by specific length helps, because there are a lot of sellers looking to unload what seems like boxes and boxes of certain specific lengths. Usually name brand stuff like DT or Sapim. Maybe this is where all the bike shops' spoke stocks are going.
Old 03-08-23, 07:48 AM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts

I had an identical experience with that seller, rough threads.

I had been using Thorusa for a decade and they retired. I had heard Danscomp recommended here but it appears they are not doing spokes either.

I used prowheelbuilder.com in January and everything was perfect.
Likes For BradH:
Old 03-08-23, 08:28 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
I just built my first wheel from scratch and searched for a long time. I found good prices at Carson City Bike Shop but their website is absolutely awful and their system has a bug that wouldn't allow the spokes I picked to be shipped to my (regular US street) address. Pointed it out to them and a sales manager got back to me immediately, said he was able to replicate the issue with a mock order, and handed it off to their IT person. Who then turned out to be a grade A person, and by that I mean A as in ***hole. Kept blaming my web browser, even though it was already confirmed in-house, even though I tried other browsers, even though I was able to order other items, just not those spokes. I made it clear that I didn't have patience for this kind of BS and found a decent deal on ebay instead. Just under $30 taxed and shipped for 38 stainless DT Swiss 1.8, not butted, with nipples. Seller goes by vievelo and was a pleasure to deal with.

I also ordered from Bike24 in Germany for a rear drive side rebuild last fall. Great prices (Sapim; I think they carry DT but won't ship them to the US), but it was part of a larger shipment which was packaged so poorly that the bag of spokes and nipples got lost on the way. They refunded the money promptly but then were unable to ship replacements in the same length for weeks. And shipping from Germany is painfully slow to begin with. In the end it was six weeks before I got my spokes.

Rose Bikes have a poorly implemented PayPal interface and don't refund VAT like they should, so I refuse to shop there.

Last edited by EVlove; 03-08-23 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-08-23, 09:30 AM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I just rebuilt a wheel using spokes from Porkchop BMX. They are just straight gauge, but that’s all I ever use, and they can provide them up to 310 mm. They were $.32 each. I think the brand name is Richman.
Old 03-08-23, 10:18 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
You're really missing out if all you ever ride are wheels with straight gauge spokes. Butted spokes make for a much livelier, better riding wheel.
Old 03-08-23, 11:13 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol Danl
I just rebuilt a wheel using spokes from Porkchop BMX. They are just straight gauge, but that’s all I ever use, and they can provide them up to 310 mm. They were $.32 each. I think the brand name is Richman.
Good to know! I found those when I was looking, but then the "any length" option vanished from the website for a while.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 03-08-23, 02:11 PM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 62 Posts
Lasers cut to length (nearest mm) by https://www.spokesfromryan.com/
Old 03-08-23, 02:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I just ordered 3 wheels of spokes from WheelBuilder in Azusa, CA. Monday early afternoon, They arrived yesterday morning by their regular Fed Ex. Two of the wheels are now built. Not one issue. Lengths were on the money. (DT Revs and Competitions.)

That was second or third time with them. They are good. They look at the order with a knowing eye and have called me when they've wondered if I made a mistake. Spoke selection does very a bit. I started with them after COVID hit and I think they've suffered the same supply issues as everybody else. They can cut spokes so as long as they can get long enough, they can help you. And they will cut odd mm lengths at a surcharge. Good thing is they carry both DT and Sapim so I've always been able to get the spoke lengths and gauges/butts I wanted even when I have had to mix makers. (And mercifully, my bikes don't care. Both brands are first class.)

So far - they been as good for me as the old Wheelsmith. Just has taken me a little more digging and sometimes a phone call (the COCID curse?) but what shows up at my doorstep is just as good.

Edit: All the spokes I've bought from them have been 302, 300 and 298 in length. Not the popular shorties. For shallow tubular wheels laced 3X.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-08-23 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-08-23, 02:36 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Excel Sports.
Old 03-08-23, 03:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

The only reason I mention this is I have an lbs (Gregg's Greenlake) that has done this in the past for me super cheap when I came in on a really slow weekday.
way off topic - Gregg's! Bought a used Miyata 610 to replace my just died winter/rain/fix gear frame number #3. Touring frame, never a super fit but highest quality of the now 5 frames that bike has had by a lot. And to this day, I thank them for contacting Ortleib and asking them to do a special run of panniers using Ortleib's raft yellow fabric, not dark for the Pacific NW winter light. (I had no idea Gregg's did that. Just asked at Citybike when I was new in Portland if those wonderful waterproof panniers came in a bright color. A couple of times. One day, one of their employees said that he'd heard Gregg's had placed that order. I asked him to inquire; that I'd take the first pair and show it off at every bike shop I knew. He did. Got some. And I did. Yellow Ortleibs are now a thing. Now if I could only get SKS to do the same with their road fenders.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-08-23, 03:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
way off topic - Gregg's!
and yeah, not the most c&v friendly place in town, but very close by for me and really good for a few things. Been there a long time. Bought a bunch of Park tools there many moons ago.
Old 03-08-23, 03:53 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
I had a slightly better experience with Carson City. They have a lot of stuff, usually at the lowest price, but the organization of the website is terrible and there is zero information about the products. You pretty much have to research the product you need elsewhere, then search for an exact match at Carson City. That said, once I found something there I always got what I ordered at the lowest cost, including nice butted DT spokes.

You also have to watch their shipping - the shipping cost can have fairly large tiers so sometimes the additional shipping cost cancels out any savings on small orders. For example, if you're buying a bunch of tires you have to punch in different numbers of tires and run it through the checkout process to see how many tires you can get at what cost. Usually I can get up to 7 tires for $25 shipping, then it jumps to $50 if I order 8. The shipping department is also a little more laid back than most e-retailers. You get a message saying your order is "awaiting shipment," but then it can take 4 or 5 more days for the order to actually be shipped.

Despite the issues I am ordering a lot from Carson City just based on price. These days it's basically the only place I can get tires for the co-op below $20 net.
Likes For albrt:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.