Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Google Maps with Elevation Statistics?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 05:54 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts

Google Maps Now Show Elevation Statistics For Bikers : News : Headlines & Global News

It doesn't quite work in my configuration, but curious if someone else sees this work. I tried Idaho Springs, CO to top of Mount Evans so there should be a hill in there somewhere.

Overall, I know mapmyride.com and others already show elevation profiles, but having this in Google Maps could also be a plus. For touring I typically use Google Maps asking for an Auto route but option for "Avoid Highways", but seeing elevation stats/profiles in bicycle mode would be interesting too.
Old 05-17-14, 06:54 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
That's interesting. But it doesn't work for me either.

I've long noticed, for a couple of years at least, that Google Maps accounts for elevation in its time estimate. Try reversing direction on the Mt Evans climb and see the time difference! It would be great to see profiles.
Old 05-17-14, 07:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I have not tried to use Google Maps for elevation data but I have used Google Earth for elevation profiles in the past. Sometimes the data was noisy and a few times it had big errors.

For example, I looked at one route that was on a road that was next to a river at the base of a tall bluff. The river was nearly horizontal so the road elevation varied only slightly because the road was close to the shoreline. Yet sometimes Google Earth would suddenly plot the elevation at the top of the bluff instead of the bottom along the road. The error was probably lack of precision in their topographic data and/or lack of accuracy on the road location.

I used my own GPS data in Google Earth to plot an elevation profile for Going to the Sun Road, it had lots of up and down noise in the plot where the road had a nearly constant uphill grade. I suspect the problem was that Google Earth was thinking I had left the road and plotted the elevation for land surfaces adjacent to the road. But when I plotted the data in Mapsource to create an elevation profile, it showed the constant grade very well.

So, don't get your hopes too high for a perfect result in areas where the elevation of the ground surface varies quite a bit.
Old 05-17-14, 07:48 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Google Maps Now Show Elevation Statistics For Bikers : News : Headlines & Global News

It doesn't quite work in my configuration, but curious if someone else sees this work. I tried Idaho Springs, CO to top of Mount Evans so there should be a hill in there somewhere.

Overall, I know mapmyride.com and others already show elevation profiles, but having this in Google Maps could also be a plus. For touring I typically use Google Maps asking for an Auto route but option for "Avoid Highways", but seeing elevation stats/profiles in bicycle mode would be interesting too.
Works for me. I think you just need to make sure you select bicycling as the transportation mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Google Elevation.jpg (101.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-17-14, 11:42 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I just notice this. Have not looked at it in detail yet. What is cool is it seems to be giving you more alternate routes too. You have to manually compare the routes. It would be nice if it tagged them somehow with least, climb, least distance, least traffic etc.
Old 05-17-14, 04:54 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Ok, I can see it on a Windows system with Chrome browser, but not on Linux system with Chrome browser. I probably have some other parameters different and am defaulting to an older version of Google Maps when I look from Linux.
Old 05-17-14, 10:15 PM
dorkypants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It only works for cycling directions in the new Google Maps, the one where the map takes the entire width of the browser window, and turn-by-turn directions appear in a floating dropdown pane instead of in a collapsible sidebar. I get it in Chrome 34 and Opera 21, but not in Safari 5 (OS X 10.6). It's not as detailed as the elevation profile in RideWithGPS but is OK for imparting a flavor of how hilly a route may be.

Last edited by dorkypants; 05-17-14 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add browser version numbers
Old 05-17-14, 10:38 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dorkypants
It only works for cycling directions in the new Google Maps, the one where the map takes the entire width of the browser window, and turn-by-turn directions appear in a floating dropdown pane instead of in a collapsible sidebar.
Thanks, that was my problem, I've got it now, it works fine with the new google map, as you said.