Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How can I move my flat bar shifter to the left? I-Spec? Wolf Tooth? New bar?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 11:51 AM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Hello,

I'm trying to determine how to move my flat bar 11 speed road shifter (Shimano RS-700) to the left so my thumb won't rub against it while riding. It's a folding bike with a narrow 580mm carbon bar. The bulge near the middle of the bar is preventing the shifter and brake from moving further to the left.

My local bike shop suggested using I-Spec to combine the shifter and brake mounts. The brakes are Shimano XTR BL-M9100 but when I spoke with Shimano they told me the RS-700 shifter is older and not compatible with I-Spec. I was curious if there any other shift adapters that would be compatible? I've noticed Wolf-Tooth and Problem Solver make shift adapters but I can't tell if they require an I-Spec compatible shifter?

Another thought would be to replace the shifter but I don't know if there is another 11 speed flat bar shifter that would be compatible with both my 11 speed Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 rear derailleur and I-Spec?

Another thought would be to replace the handle bar with one that does not have a bulge such as the Meriwether Ti sweeper bar. This seems like an expensive option ~$240 but perhaps there are other more affordable bars I haven't found yet.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!

Thumb is rubbing against shifter. The bulge near the center of the bar is preventing the shifter and brakes from moving further over.

Old 08-28-23, 12:39 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 706 Posts
Given that the lever appears to be still available (as a pair) @ $135
I'd consider shortening the actuation lever, knowing for $135 I can replace it IF I don't like the result.

Barry
Old 08-28-23, 02:34 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Here's an observation.
In my house right now, two flat bar hybrids have the Gear shift mounted inboard of the Brake.
Yours is the other way around.

Barry
Old 08-28-23, 04:16 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
^^ This ^^

Swap positions with the brake lever and shifter.
It appears that the brake lever clamp is hinged; you should be able to remove it without dismounting the grips, even.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-28-23, 04:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
I mean all good advice above but that Ti bar looks nice and I would go for that personally regardless of the issue.

What bike is that? Helix? If so curious about your experiences with them I have heard things but you have a real bike so obviously stuff has shipped. I am interested in a folder and love titanium,
Old 08-28-23, 06:27 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,115 Posts

RS700 shifters

Last edited by t2p; 08-28-23 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-28-23, 10:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6240 Post(s)
Liked 4,250 Times in 2,383 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
Hello,

I'm trying to determine how to move my flat bar 11 speed road shifter (Shimano RS-700) to the left so my thumb won't rub against it while riding. It's a folding bike with a narrow 580mm carbon bar. The bulge near the middle of the bar is preventing the shifter and brake from moving further to the left.

My local bike shop suggested using I-Spec to combine the shifter and brake mounts. The brakes are Shimano XTR BL-M9100 but when I spoke with Shimano they told me the RS-700 shifter is older and not compatible with I-Spec. I was curious if there any other shift adapters that would be compatible? I've noticed Wolf-Tooth and Problem Solver make shift adapters but I can't tell if they require an I-Spec compatible shifter?

Another thought would be to replace the shifter but I don't know if there is another 11 speed flat bar shifter that would be compatible with both my 11 speed Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 rear derailleur and I-Spec?

Another thought would be to replace the handle bar with one that does not have a bulge such as the Meriwether Ti sweeper bar. This seems like an expensive option ~$240 but perhaps there are other more affordable bars I haven't found yet.

I would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you!

Thumb is rubbing against shifter. The bulge near the center of the bar is preventing the shifter and brakes from moving further over.

As the great Roc Ingersol once said, “Oh! That’s not right.”
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-28-23, 11:53 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Here's an observation.
In my house right now, two flat bar hybrids have the Gear shift mounted inboard of the Brake.

Barry
The OP's mounting is normal. Current generation I-Spec EV levers move the clamp location inboard on the lever body and are intended to mount the shifter in between the support bracket and the clamp. This is mostly to shorten the lever arm between the brake lever and clamp, reducing the very small amount of flex in the lever body itself. That said, nothing stopping OP from trying to run the shifter inside of the brake lever, unless he really dislikes the resulting lever position. Personally, I like to set up my flat bar levers so that I can just get my index finger on the crook of the lever--OP's position is very far outboard of this, but he's locked into pretty much only that brake position because of the very narrow bars with a pretty normal center bulge. If it were my (very expensive) bike, I'd get new handlebars that gave me the freedom to set my brake lever position how I like.

If you want a more sensibly priced handlebar option, look for 25.4mm bars and use a 25.4 to 31.8 handlebar shim. These should generally have a narrower center bulge. There's tons of older bars in about that size, including reputable carbon ones, as take offs from older XC bikes. A lot of these are floating around because a common upgrade is to a more modern bar width.
Likes For cpach:
Old 08-29-23, 07:21 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by cpach
The OP's mounting is normal. Current generation I-Spec EV levers move the clamp location (snip)
The survey of pre I-spec levers (same as OP)I took in my house, indicates the OP non I-spec levers might be different than the survey results!

Barry
Old 08-29-23, 08:49 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
The survey of pre I-spec levers (same as OP)I took in my house, indicates the OP non I-spec levers might be different than the survey results!

Barry
OP has I-spec EV compatible brake levers. His shifters happen to be standard band mount.
Old 08-29-23, 11:40 AM
univega.duder

Here's an observation.

Barry
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
^^ This ^^

Swap positions with the brake lever and shifter.
It appears that the brake lever clamp is hinged; you should be able to remove it without dismounting the grips, even.
Unfortunately the bulge in the bar doesn’t allow me to move the shifter to a the left of the brake and still be able to clamp the shifter.

I emailed with Wolf Tooth thinking one of there shift adapters might allow me to combine the mounts but they said that my shifter is a “non I-spec shifter” and incompatible with brakes. I’m thinking a new handlebar may be the easiest solution.
Old 08-30-23, 10:51 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by cpach
The OP's mounting is normal. Current generation I-Spec EV levers move the clamp location inboard on the lever body and are intended to mount the shifter in between the support bracket and the clamp. This is mostly to shorten the lever arm between the brake lever and clamp, reducing the very small amount of flex in the lever body itself. That said, nothing stopping OP from trying to run the shifter inside of the brake lever, unless he really dislikes the resulting lever position. Personally, I like to set up my flat bar levers so that I can just get my index finger on the crook of the lever--OP's position is very far outboard of this, but he's locked into pretty much only that brake position because of the very narrow bars with a pretty normal center bulge. If it were my (very expensive) bike, I'd get new handlebars that gave me the freedom to set my brake lever position how I like.
Okay. Didn’t see that at first. Looking at the “I-Spec EV” levers, all I got to say is that it’s another stupid idea from Shimano! Why move the mounting point on the brake lever from the end of the lever and then put in a little bit of metal to stop the lever from flexing? What in the world was wrong with the original mounting point? Really stupid idea.

Unfortunately the bulge in the bar doesn’t allow me to move the shifter to a the left of the brake and still be able to clamp the shifter.

I emailed with Wolf Tooth thinking one of there shift adapters might allow me to combine the mounts but they said that my shifter is a “non I-spec shifter” and incompatible with brakes. I’m thinking a new handlebar may be the easiest solution.

Frankly, I’d consider dumping the stupid levers for something with a better design. You can spend a lot of money trying to “fix” this problem and still not get it right or you can just replace the lever with a better design.

I’ll stand by my “Oh! That’s not right?” comment.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-30-23 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 12:49 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
that bar is just a bad design... there are 15 31.8 bars on a shelf here that DON'T have such a long taper.... and are also 2 to 4 inches wider.

personally, i don't bother saving bars as narrow as yours. they hit the scrap bin when removed.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-30-23, 04:25 PM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Frankly, I’d consider dumping the stupid levers for something with a better design. You can spend a lot of money trying to “fix” this problem and still not get it right or you can just replace the lever with a better design.
I'd certainly consider replacing the shift levers but I can't seem to find another 11 speed flat bar shifter that will shift the 11 speed Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 derailleur. Let me know if you know of one. My current plan is to try a different handlebar.
Old 08-30-23, 04:33 PM
cyccommute 

I'd certainly consider replacing the shift levers but I can't seem to find another 11 speed flat bar shifter that will shift the 11 speed Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 derailleur. Let me know if you know of one. My current plan is to try a different handlebar.
Not the shifter. Replace the stupid brakes so that you can move the shifter over to where it needs to be.

One really has to wonder the design process that went into that design:

Fresh new engineer: ”Say, let’s move the mount point to the middle of the reservoir. It would look cool.”

Boss: ”Sound good!”

A few weeks later:

Fresh new engineer: ”Good news, boss, the lever works just fine. It a little wiggly on the mount. Flex might be a problem.”

Boss: ”Well, why don’t you just add a little tab on the end of the reservoir where the old clamp used to be. That way, when it flexes, it will just hit the bar and stop.”

Fresh new engineer: ”Great idea, boss! That’s why you’re the boss!”

Some old curmudgeonly engineer speaks out from the shadows of the meeting room. “Why not just leave the clamp where it used to be and where the lever never flexed”

Boss: “But that wouldn’t be new. With the new design we can force everyone to change over to a new kind of brake lever”

Curmudgeonly engineer: “Stupid Shimano!”

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-30-23 at 04:41 PM.