Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: French thread fixed BB cup, Campy

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 05-29-20, 11:13 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

Looking for the fixed cup to match the cup in the photo here. Apparently, there were "thick" and "thin" versions. I don't know which I have; I need a match to the cup I have. (Maybe someone can identify which I have)
thanks.

Old 05-30-20, 02:31 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
I believe you have the "thin" version. The "thick" version has rifled opening, to facilitate keeping the dirt from reaching the grease in the bb.

You can see one here..................

https://rustybicycleshop.com/745-camp...-cup-35-x-1-g/

Last edited by 100bikes; 05-30-20 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 07:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
I believe you have the "thin" version. The "thick" version has rifled opening, to facilitate keeping the dirt from reaching the grease in the bb.

You can see one here..................

703 Campagnolo Allen bolt
Yes. Only Nuovo Record road cups came in the "thick" variety. Record road, Record and Super Record pista, and Gran Sport cups were all "thin:"

Old 05-30-20, 07:19 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26380 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...maybe you already know this, but you can also use another matching adjustable cup and lock ring on the fixed side with both sides threaded RH.
Old 05-31-20, 09:14 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...maybe you already know this, but you can also use another matching adjustable cup and lock ring on the fixed side with both sides threaded RH.
ok....but will it have to "match" the spindle? Are the ends spindle a specific shape for Campy?
Old 05-31-20, 11:20 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
ok....but will it have to "match" the spindle? Are the ends spindle a specific shape for Campy?
no specific 'campy' shape of the ends spindle—you pro'ly meant the bearing interface of the either side of the spindle—although, the old spindles do have R & L by slight difference in length between the bearing interface and the square tapered part, depending on whether it was for double or triple crankset. in general, longer side is R, being the crank side with the chainring clearance.

IMO tho, sourcing another adjustable cup in french threads will be as hard as sourcing the fixed cup... good luck!

IIRC, the Sugino BBs from the same era were Campy copies. (someone pls correct me if i'm wrong). that case, there are some on the fleabay at lower tags. like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugino-Bott...sAAOSwR6lesbiw

Last edited by orangeology; 05-31-20 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 04:11 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by orangeology
IIRC, the Sugino BBs from the same era were Campy copies. (someone pls correct me if i'm wrong). that case, there are some on the fleabay at lower tags. like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugino-Bott...sAAOSwR6lesbiw
I have some of those Sugino cups. They're good, but they are neither as good, nor copies of, Campagnolo.
Old 06-01-20, 06:55 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Sugino BB Cups

Originally Posted by oneclick
I have some of those Sugino cups. They're good, but they are neither as good, nor copies of, Campagnolo.
Not sure what you mean by "...nor copies of, Campagnolo."?

BITD Sugino BBs were a poor mans replacement for Campy parts. Maybe we didn't know any better back then but... A Campy BB could cost a day or two's wages.

As far as interchanging spindle brands there's a lot of variation in the ball track dimensions.

A way to check is to remove all the grease from the parts and use a product called Dyekem Layout Fluid or you could use a Magic Marker to coat the bearing contact surfaces Hand assemble with some caged bearings and rotate the spindle to check the points of contact.

Ball bearing contact angle

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 06-01-20 at 06:59 AM.
Likes For verktyg: