Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 08:34 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Seems to be a spate of people out there just aching for a fight. I came across one Wednesday morning who apparently took issue with my donning a face mask before entering a store for my weekly food purchases. The issue was over a parking space but I am sure it was really the mask since he wasn't wearing one even though the store has a big sign requesting you use one. There were four parking spaces in a row, One was clearly marked with a handicapped only sign as well as on the pavement. Two spaces to the left of it have a sign asking users to leave it open for "families with children". Those had been in place long before the current stores were opened. There are no shops that actually cater to children and the closest, a gym, is permanently closed. The last space, the one that I parked in, used to have a similar sign but it had been painted over. They carry no legal authority. He asked me where my "handicapped parking placard" was. I told him that I was parked legally and neither in the one space designated for handicapped parking nor in the two spaces for families with children. Then he threatened to deck me. I suggested he mind his own business and that I would have him arrested for assault if he laid a finger on me. He wasn't happy but continued to mouth off as he approached the store. Once inside I called for the store manager, explained what had happened, and asked him to call the police if this jerk did anything in the store. He asked if I wanted them right now but I said just be aware of the situation. By that time the jerk had picked up a newspaper and the one item he wanted and was at the end of a checkout line so it seemed OK.
Old 06-05-20, 08:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
You would know more about it than I, so I defer the knowledge you got in law school. That said, the crux of what I'm saying is that's unacceptable conduct and it can't be justified. Maybe it could be construed as hate crime?

While not a lawyer, I did spend a career that had me in the courtroom frequently and we both know when a case gets special attention a defendant can be charged with darn near anything. What they plead to or are convicted of is another matter. I might be a little sensitive to this kind of subject but part of my job I retired from was to ensure that citizens had the right speak out and protest peacefully; even if their focus was on my profession. I could never burn a US flag except in accordance with old flag destruction policy. However, I have protected the rights of people to do so because I believe our freedoms supersede the emblem of those freedoms.

Really, really clear multiple acts of assault. If I were a prosecutor trying to be creative here, I might argue that the bicycle was used as a weapon which might bump up the level of assault, but I don't know if that would work in Maryland.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 09:17 AM
oldlady62

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Wow! That guy needs to be arrested.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs_this_m...-floyd-flyers/
Old 06-05-20, 09:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Charges or not, if/when this guy is outed, his life is going to suck for a while.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-05-20, 09:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
1- it sounds like the Dbag and the dude with the camera both have Aussie accents. Not at all important, just funny that it stuck out to me.

2- sure the guy should be found and talked with by police. But literal jail time? Im not sure. I would be furious if my daughter were scared like that, but even then it would be difficult for me to think someone should be jailed for their emotional response which didnt physically harm anyone(i assume the camera fell into the grass at the end and not that the guy was hurt).
sensitivity classes? sure.
community service? sure.
jail time? hmm.

In general, far too many in this country are incarcerated as it is.
This is coming from a short phone video and the authorities should have time to figure out what happened before and after the video to help determine cause and punishment.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-05-20, 09:33 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
what a *****
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-05-20, 09:38 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
if my daughter were scared like that.
He is doing more than scaring her. Here is a screen-shot from the video. He is at the very least grabbing onto her arm. If you or I did that to a cop, we would be lucky to wind up in jail:

The girl should be entitled to at least as much legal protection.
Old 06-05-20, 09:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
1- it sounds like the Dbag and the dude with the camera both have Aussie accents. Not at all important, just funny that it stuck out to me.

2- sure the guy should be found and talked with by police. But literal jail time? Im not sure. I would be furious if my daughter were scared like that, but even then it would be difficult for me to think someone should be jailed for their emotional response which didnt physically harm anyone(i assume the camera fell into the grass at the end and not that the guy was hurt).
sensitivity classes? sure.
community service? sure.
jail time? hmm.

In general, far too many in this country are incarcerated as it is.
This is coming from a short phone video and the authorities should have time to figure out what happened before and after the video to help determine cause and punishment.
He should absolutely be charged for that. Whether it ends up in jail time in another matter, but it should be on his record in case it has happened in the past or does again in the future.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-05-20, 09:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by wgscott
He is doing more than scaring her. Here is a screen-shot from the video. He is at the very least grabbing onto her arm. If you or I did that to a cop, we would be lucky to wind up in jail:
Ok, I took that interaction as he was grabbing at papers. The image wasnt/isnt clear enough for my old eyes.

As for the same legal protection as a cop, Im not going into that in detail.
Old 06-05-20, 09:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Kapusta
He should absolutely be charged for that. Whether it ends up in jail time in another matter, but it should be on his record in case it has happened in the past or does again in the future.
Sure, and I said as much. Assuming what happened before and after the video doesnt explain away behavior, then the police should talk with him and I could absolutely see him having to do community service and/or classes on tolerance/acceptable social behavior.
I simply think we as a society too quickly and too often pull the 'go directly to jail' card.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-05-20, 10:01 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts

I can tell you this for an absolute fact, If I were still on the job, got the call and saw that video I'd find him and arrest him for robbery. He used force in the commission of a theft offense.
Old 06-05-20, 10:20 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 817 Posts
I was not there and do not know the whole story. However, that is abuse, assault and endangerment of a child. Whatever took place before, or even after, is in no way a viable alibi for that behavior. If the gentleman, use the term loosely, would give himself up while sincerely apologizing and accepting that his behavior was unacceptable, it may go better for him when he is found.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-05-20, 10:22 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
As for the same legal protection as a cop, Im not going into that in detail.
Sorry. I didn't mean to derail into debating that. All I really meant was that most people in a civil society would agree you don't ever want to grab a cop's arm (for both legal and sanity-based reasons; the Law makes this explicit).

Similarly, most people would agree that it is rarely justified for any adult other than a parent or an entrusted care-taker to grab a child's arm (absent preventing greater immediate harm).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-05-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 10:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Sorry. I didn't mean to derail into debating that. All I really meant was that most people in a civil society would agree you don't ever want to grab a cop's arm (for both legal and sanity-based reasons).

Similarly, most people would agree that it is rarely justified for any adult other than a parent or an entrusted care-taker to grab a child's arm (absent preventing greater immediate harm).
Fully agree- neither should be acceptable behavior.

I really wasnt going to toss an opinion into this thread until I read how many posts continually said 'lock em up'. My inability to restrain got the best of me again.
Old 06-05-20, 10:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Sure, and I said as much. Assuming what happened before and after the video doesnt explain away behavior, then the police should talk with him and I could absolutely see him having to do community service and/or classes on tolerance/acceptable social behavior.
I simply think we as a society too quickly and too often pull the 'go directly to jail' card.
That video is just long enough to watch him very deliberately walking about 25 feet towards a defenseless and clearly terrified child, then grabbing and immobilizing her arm and taking the papers out of her hand. It's grotesque, absolutely inexcusable behavior and he compounds it by tackling the guy who was filming it. Unless they edited the kid killing his dog out of the video, there's nothing that could "explain away" this behavior.

You put a violent hand on a kid like that, a few weeks in jail is the least you should expect.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-05-20 at 10:33 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 10:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by livedarklions
That video is just long enough to watch him very deliberately walking about 25 feet towards a defenseless and clearly terrified child, then grabbing and immobilizing her arm and taking the papers out of her hand. It's grotesque, absolutely inexcusable behavior and he compounds it by tackling the guy who was filming it. Unless they edited the kid killing his dog out of the video, there's nothing that could "explain away" this behavior.

You put a violent hand on a kid like that, a few weeks in jail is the least you should expect.

I am not trying to be contrarian here, I didnt see the cyclist tackle the guy filming it. I saw the phone fall to the ground...did the guy drop it? Did the guy get tackled by the cyclist? Did the guy walk backwards and trip on something? Again, not contrarian, I am just didnt see what you saw. Maybe the video I watched was ended sooner than one you saw?

As for the guy walking towards the girl, again- he is a total dbag and his actions need to be addressed. I simply disagree that jailtime is the floor for punishment in this and a lot of other instances.
Old 06-05-20, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I am not trying to be contrarian here, I didnt see the cyclist tackle the guy filming it. I saw the phone fall to the ground...did the guy drop it? Did the guy get tackled by the cyclist? Did the guy walk backwards and trip on something? Again, not contrarian, I am just didnt see what you saw. Maybe the video I watched was ended sooner than one you saw?

As for the guy walking towards the girl, again- he is a total dbag and his actions need to be addressed. I simply disagree that jailtime is the floor for punishment in this and a lot of other instances.

Jail is for violent criminals. He is a violent criminal. Again, grotesque display, wayyyyyy beyond mere ******baggery..

He very clearly runs into the cameraman right before the camera hits the ground. I'll concede that I don't know whether the camera guy was actually successfully tackled, but the attempt is quite visible. He assaults three people in that video, two of whom were clearly retreating from him.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 11:13 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Lots of fools out there. Some of them even know how to ride a bike.🤡
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 06-05-20, 11:15 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you watch the video, linked to in a thread in Road, you can see he has noticeable moobs.

Hey, sadly, that's how I look!
Old 06-05-20, 11:55 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm reading another article about this. The person who posted the video was a teenager and was actually assaulted by the guy and the guy's bicycle was the weapom used in the assault. From the article at:

https://heavy.com/news/2020/06/bethe...-flyers-video/

"The teen said the cyclist injured his calf. He posted a photo showing a gash on his leg. He wrote on ******, “he rammed his bike into me and tried to pin me to the ground with it.”'

Cheers

Edit added a link to a clearer video where you definitely see the bicyclist lay a hand on the little girl.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cyclist-as...ry?id=71080297

Last edited by Miele Man; 06-05-20 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added a link to a clearer video where you definitely see the bicyclist lay a hand on the little girl
Old 06-05-20, 12:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
If we searched for people due to bike specific clothing and man boobs, half the people on that trail would be in trouble. I'm a little surprised that nobody knows him from that bike, it's how cyclists know each other. "oh you know that guy with an old lightspeed with campagnolo parts?"
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-05-20, 12:19 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i'm surprised no one has noticed he has a visor on as a roadie, totally Fred move!
Old 06-05-20, 12:24 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
The High Court of Social Media will have a field day. He might as well re-name himself "Amy Cooper."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 06-05-20, 12:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
The High Court of Social Media will have a field day. He might as well re-name himself "Amy Cooper."

These people are convicting themselves. If they're stupid and vile enough to act like this in front of a camera, they really have no valid complaint when it goes viral.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-20, 12:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Seems to be a spate of people out there just aching for a fight. I came across one Wednesday morning who apparently took issue with my donning a face mask before entering a store for my weekly food purchases. The issue was over a parking space but I am sure it was really the mask since he wasn't wearing one even though the store has a big sign requesting you use one. There were four parking spaces in a row, One was clearly marked with a handicapped only sign as well as on the pavement. Two spaces to the left of it have a sign asking users to leave it open for "families with children". Those had been in place long before the current stores were opened. There are no shops that actually cater to children and the closest, a gym, is permanently closed. The last space, the one that I parked in, used to have a similar sign but it had been painted over. They carry no legal authority. He asked me where my "handicapped parking placard" was. I told him that I was parked legally and neither in the one space designated for handicapped parking nor in the two spaces for families with children. Then he threatened to deck me. I suggested he mind his own business and that I would have him arrested for assault if he laid a finger on me. He wasn't happy but continued to mouth off as he approached the store. Once inside I called for the store manager, explained what had happened, and asked him to call the police if this jerk did anything in the store. He asked if I wanted them right now but I said just be aware of the situation. By that time the jerk had picked up a newspaper and the one item he wanted and was at the end of a checkout line so it seemed OK.
My wife and I were discussing this morning during a hardware and grocery run that people were much more polite when everyone wore masks during the beginning of lockdown but now that things are easing up the *ssh*l*s are back in bloom. Not just in parking lots but inside the stores the lane discipline and courtesy have evaporated. I'm sure the economic woes, joblessness and tight money are getting to people and, while we're fortunate enough to be retired and well-positioned, we're trying not to take anything for granted, including who might be armed and itchy at any moment.
Likes For thumpism:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.