Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Old 07-02-20, 05:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I went out yesterday to inspect some small bridges in the neighborhood, but to my dismay/relief found none of them to be of questionable structural integrity, as in danger of collapse. This one though swayed quite a lot, however, it being a small suspended pedestrian bridge, it's normal. You be the judges of whether it fits the mission.

Looks structurally sound for its designed purpose.
Old 07-02-20, 10:42 AM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Looks structurally sound for its designed purpose.
Agreed, let’s give it another day (or whatever the standard timeframe is) to see if anyone can come up with something more dangerous looking.
Old 07-02-20, 11:18 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 318 Posts
If that was a picture from New Zealand it would be totally strong and in use daily. They seem to have a lot of very similar structures. Let’s find something more “falling downish”.
Old 07-02-20, 11:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hikebikerun
Agreed, let’s give it another day (or whatever the standard timeframe is) to see if anyone can come up with something more dangerous looking.

I'm a little confused, though. Just bridges at this point, or any structure?

And there is no standard timeframe, the rule is it takes as long as it takes, but if we go too long without finding it (usually a few days) the person assigning it will expand the items that will satisfy the mission. We call it the "Mr. Bill clause".

Like going from a dilapidated bridge to any dilapidated structure, for example. That's a good Mr. Bill clause. You just did it awfully fast before people really had a chance to hunt bridges.

Don't worry about violating some secret rules--it's pretty simple. Basically, your job now is to relax and enjoy watching us rack our brains trying to find it. We like doing it or we wouldn't.
Old 07-02-20, 12:27 PM
Hikebikerun

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm a little confused, though. Just bridges at this point, or any structure?

And there is no standard timeframe, the rule is it takes as long as it takes, but if we go too long without finding it (usually a few days) the person assigning it will expand the items that will satisfy the mission. We call it the "Mr. Bill clause".

Like going from a dilapidated bridge to any dilapidated structure, for example. That's a good Mr. Bill clause. You just did it awfully fast before people really had a chance to hunt bridges.

Don't worry about violating some secret rules--it's pretty simple. Basically, your job now is to relax and enjoy watching us rack our brains trying to find it. We like doing it or we wouldn't.

Ok, so in that case it still needs to be a bridge. If there is no winner by Saturday, it will open up to any other kind of dilapidated structure.
Likes For Hikebikerun:
Old 07-02-20, 12:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ok, so in that case it still needs to be a bridge. If there is no winner by Saturday, it will open up to any other kind of dilapidated structure.

Good call!
Old 07-02-20, 01:20 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 318 Posts
Gawwd. Can you lawyers just back off for a minute and let us normal people try to find some things? I mean really.
Old 07-02-20, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Gawwd. Can you lawyers just back off for a minute and let us normal people try to find some things? I mean really.

Wait, what?

Who's stopping you? Go find a broken bridge.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-03-20, 12:16 PM
Hikebikerun

I am heading out on the trail to go backpacking and won’t be back until late Saturday; I delegate my role as judge to the consensus of at least two other thread participants. Good luck!
Old 07-03-20, 08:09 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Bookending Bad Bridges

Mission: a bridge of questionable structural integrity.
I am heading out on the trail to go backpacking and won’t be back until late Saturday; I delegate my role as judge to the consensus of at least two other thread participants. Good luck!
The problem I've had with this mission is that if it is a functioning bridge, it better not be questionable for the service (as with subgrade's submission). So I'll provide two situations that I think bracket the mission......

Looks pretty questionable, right?

This is a utility right-of-way bridge over Turkey Creek. Though it doesn't look very healthy, underneath are deep steel wide flange under both tire tracks. Solid for running utility trucks over it.

So then I went to a defunct golf course where I knew there were some damaged bridges:

Nothing questionable about this bridge.. it's gone well past questionable..

Bridge at Hole 5 of the defunct Bear Creek Masters Course.

As I left the bridge I looked down and I had two locusts on my front fork working on the next generation. At one point as I rode along she rotated towards the spokes and he started getting whacked by them... but neither let go... they finally fell off when I hit a strong bump. That'll give 'em something to tell the grandkids...

Locusts.

OK, so requestor delegated approval.. you all will have to decide if this fits. If I see two likes, I'll post a new mission.

Last edited by flangehead; 07-03-20 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Change posting requirement.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 07-03-20, 08:15 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 673 Posts
That fist bridge picture looks hella shady... it's been eaten down the right side. I don't even want to know what eats bridges.

So, it's a "YES" from me.
pun intended

Barry
Old 07-03-20, 09:03 PM
Hikebikerun

Originally Posted by flangehead
The problem I've had with this mission is that if it is a functioning bridge, it better not be questionable for the service (as with subgrade's submission). So I'll provide two situations that I think bracket the mission......

Looks pretty questionable, right?

OK, so requestor delegated approval.. you all will have to decide if this fits. If I see two likes, I'll post a new mission.
Turns out I get cell service from the spot we picked to camp at....

that first bridge is a hard yes from me, I would hesitate before crossing.

The next mission is yours!
Likes For Hikebikerun:
Old 07-03-20, 09:38 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Next Mission: Insect Nest

I'm going to mash up some of the recent missions. I was late to the little library, but I did make it. At the base of it was a red fire ant nest:

I had an overdue book.

Typical undisturbed fire ant nest. Touch it and they come streaming out.

The red imported fire ant is non-native, invasive and is a pest. (Boy, are they a pest. If you disturb the nest, they start crawling on you but they don't bite immediately.. they wait for a signal and then they all bite at once. They hurt. Bad.)

Next Mission: Your bike and an insect nest of some kind, such as a ant pile, a bee hive, a wasp nest, spider web, and so on.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 07-04-20, 09:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6148 Post(s)
Liked 4,096 Times in 2,326 Posts

Locusts.

Grasshoppers. Locusts have been extinct in the US since someone plowed up their breeding grounds in the late 1800.

Here’s something I wrote on grasshoppers in Solo Without Pie:

Love and Sex on the Road. An Interlude

When a male grasshopper's fancy turns to love, he finds a suitable mate, preferable a young large female and he starts to work his magic. First there is romance and music. He attracts her by taking her to the best corn plants. Only the most tender of leaves will do for his special lady. He woos her with corn kernels that are bigger than her head. He caresses her and rubs his legs together to make that special sound she loves so much. Once she is swooning and is his forever, he invites her to go with him to the blacktop, for there it warmest and his lady will be most receptive to his charms. She is his and he may do what he pleases with her.'Come my special lady, let's make love right here on the road, in the heat of the day with the rising sun bearing down on us.', he says.

'Oh, yes! Please take me now! I'm all yours! But, dear, isn't the sun yellow?', she says.

'Why, yes it is my sweet. As yellow as the corn. As yellow as a sunflower. As yellow as your tender belly.'

'But dear, if the sun is yellow, why does it have a black stripe on it?'

'What black stripe?', he says as he kisses her neck.

'That black stripe that is getting bigger all the time. And there seems to be this odd ominous sound coming from it.' she notes.

Just then he looks up and notices that the stripe is getting bigger and the sound in maniacal laughter just as the bicycle squishes both of them.

'Cool. A twofer. I love those because they can't get away as easily. I just love the sound of grasshoppers squishing under my wheels.', I said. Hey, it's Iowa, you can't see anything over the corn and there is no one to talk to. What else are you going to do?

​​​​​
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-04-20, 12:53 PM
flangehead

Aha, grasshoppers. I wasn't sure the right general name. She certainly was bigger than he was; probably 30-40%.

I guess they learned it was better to be on the bike than on the road....

Next Mission: Your bike and an insect nest of some kind, such as a ant pile, a bee hive, a wasp nest, spider web, and so on.
Old 07-05-20, 12:50 PM
Hikebikerun

Even though spider webs were mentioned in the challenge, given that spiders aren’t insects, I’m going to forego victory on this one and wait for someone to post a real insect nest.
Old 07-07-20, 05:36 PM
flangehead

Even though spider webs were mentioned in the challenge, given that spiders aren’t insects, I’m going to forego victory on this one and wait for someone to post a real insect nest.
Adding mr_bill clause: Hikebikerun, it's been a couple of days and no movement. I've got to say that I used "insects" in the common sense of the word, so I think you fulfilled the mission. (Sort of like the difference between produce section grouping of banana as a fruit, though I think botanically it is a berry.)

However, there may be someone out there right now coming back from getting a great beehive shot.

So, after 1:00 am CDT July 8, 2020, if there is no entry, Hikebikerun will have fulfilled the mission and is asked to assign a new one.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 07-08-20, 07:15 AM
Hikebikerun

Next mission: a brewery, distillery, or winery. No tasting rooms/bars... it has to be the place where the alcoholic beverage is actually produced.
Old 07-08-20, 07:34 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
(Sort of like the difference between produce section grouping of banana as a fruit, though I think botanically it is a berry.)
Botannically berries are a type of fruit, as are, for example, grain or nuts, among others.

A better analogy would have probably been tomatoes, which are in fact berries and therefore fruits, but are usually considered vegetables.

But I digress, back to the... Next mission: a brewery, distillery, or winery. No tasting rooms/bars... it has to be the place where the alcoholic beverage is actually produced.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 07-08-20, 08:56 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Botannically berries are a type of fruit, as are, for example, grain or nuts, among others.

A better analogy would have probably been tomatoes, which are in fact berries and therefore fruits, but are usually considered vegetables.

But I digress, back to the... Next mission: a brewery, distillery, or winery. No tasting rooms/bars... it has to be the place where the alcoholic beverage is actually produced.

The apparently world famous Hangar 24.

Last edited by DrIsotope; 07-08-20 at 11:17 AM. Reason: edited to add a better quality image
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 07-08-20, 09:57 AM
Hikebikerun

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

The apparently world famous Hangar 24.
Well that was fast! You’re up!
Old 07-08-20, 11:22 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My mission assignment: Extinction and survival in two parts.

I want to see something that used to be everywhere and now is dead-- Sears, Blockbuster Video, etc. We still have the husk of a Mr. TV/Video locally, empty for like 20 years. There are so many defunct K-Marts and Sears I could make an album of just those.
Then I want to see something that has persevered against the odds-- TV repair, shoe repair, a standalone place that sells something like lawnmowers. Next town over we have an honest to goodness cobbler-- in a building less than 6 feet wide.

The scores are made up and the points don't matter, but a particularly apocalyptic looking extinct thing gets a bonus point for sure.
Old 07-08-20, 01:48 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
How about a standalone Hot dog/burger joint, not a chain? Been there forever. Its so old that property setback laws didn't exist. It's too close to the street for modern code, but still flipping great burgers. I'll await judgement before proposing next challenge.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 07-08-20, 02:15 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Slightspeed , I don't care if you won this mission or not, I just want to know where this place is, and how good is their chilli dog?

Also, your bike is the perfect bike to be in this pic.
Old 07-08-20, 05:35 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
((don't forget the 'extinction' part))

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.