Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is the fascination with Torx?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-09-20, 04:43 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

Installed a G2R disc brake yesterday and everything was Torx fitted. This got me thinking what is this fascination with Torx fittings? The bleed ports, which are super low torque fittings and clamp bolts are Torx. Why? What problem does this solve? Or is it a solution looking for a problem? Or is this just some twisted attempt to change the long standing industry standard of using recessed hex fittings or a really twisted way to increase tool sales or inconvenience home mechanics?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-09-20, 04:57 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Torx drive is more resistant to "cam-out" than slotted or Phillips heads, and more resistant to stripping than hex drive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
I suspect that they tolerate use with worn drivers better than hex, Torx kind of makes sense when reading the numerous posts on this forum asking for help with stripped-out hex drive fasteners.
Old 07-09-20, 05:52 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Automated assembly is easier with torx.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 07-09-20, 06:20 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I'm old enough to remember thinking the same thing when Phillips heads started showing up so much in the construction industry.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 07-09-20, 06:59 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Installed a G2R disc brake yesterday and everything was Torx fitted. This got me thinking what is this fascination with Torx fittings? The bleed ports, which are super low torque fittings and clamp bolts are Torx. Why? What problem does this solve? Or is it a solution looking for a problem? Or is this just some twisted attempt to change the long standing industry standard of using recessed hex fittings or a really twisted way to increase tool sales or inconvenience home mechanics?
Because it's better. I can't count the amount of times I have rounded an hex bolt trying to loosen something that has been assembled for a long time.

For a home mechanic it's way worse having something stuck and the hex becoming rounded than having to buy some torx bits, which are not all that expensive in the first place.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 07-09-20, 07:10 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
I'll add that Torx allows a smaller bolt, or a smaller wrench fitting which then allows a smaller bolt, to do the job. Also a softer one, as in Al instead of steel. Andy
Old 07-09-20, 08:30 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Allen (aka hex) fasteners are quite sensitive to being damaged by cheap and/or worn hex keys, particularly in the smaller sizes. Torx are stronger and more tolerant of wear and I also much prefer them to allen bolts.
Old 07-09-20, 09:02 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
They work pretty well, but I share your frustration toward the proliferation of driver patterns.

With Torx in particular, you can't really tell the difference visually between a T15 and a T20, or between T20 and T25,
and the same fastener in different lengths might take different driver sizes.

I regularly deal with, and often carry in my pocket, T15, T20, T25, T30, PH2, PH3, S1, S2, S3, square/phillips combo, 1/4", 5/16' nut drivers, SAE and metric allen key sets, and 1/4" and 3/16" slotted screwdrivers.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-09-20, 09:15 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I wasn't aware there was fascination with Torx fasteners in the bike industry. The only Torx fasteners I've run across in wrenching on my bikes were the chainring fixing screws securing the chainrings to the crank on Shimano cranksets. But I find them superior to hex screws in just about every application I used them.
Old 07-09-20, 09:19 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As a guy who's driven a few thousand pounds of decking screws, I can say that Torx is the way to go. Bikes should be all Torx. I mean sure, I curse at a Ford I'm trying to do the brakes on because it needs something bizarre like a T47, but they pretty much don't slip or strip.
Old 07-09-20, 09:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
As a guy who built his own deck one time, I agree!

you’re also never going to round out the Torx by using the 3/16 instead of a 5 mm because it’s the only one you can find right now

They are all over BMW motorcycles as well.

I am camping right now, so I think to add that our travel trailer is built almost entirely with square head screws. They are basically Phillips without the flanges. They seem to work pretty well, although I’d still rather have the torx

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-09-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-09-20, 09:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I would put Torx all the way at the top. Right above Robertson/Doublesquare, which are above hex. I would rather pound and pull nails than deal with slotted, and Phillips is one of the greatest scams ever perpetrated against mankind.
Old 07-09-20, 09:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
That isnt the half of it. As an IBM service rep that started in '61 and worked until 2008 look what I had to work with.

Early IBM machines has standard allen wrenches. Then in the series the Co went to 4 flute bristo, 6 flute bristo, metric allen, and then torx. I had to carry a series of all sizes of all of them depending on the age of the machines. They all did the same thing.

Right now cyclist have to carry both metric allens and torx to be prepared on the road.
Old 07-09-20, 09:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
I wasn't aware there was fascination with Torx fasteners in the bike industry.
I wasn't aware of a fascination either.

I've been wondering why the bike industry is still using Philips for tiny adjustment screw so long. Torx is definitely the way to go for small screws. Or even large screws too.

I even found some small torx screws to match the size and threading of the little tiny Philips screws they use in my Garmin HR pod. Makes getting them in and out so much easier. Of course being Torx, you have to be careful not to over tighten since they don't cam out.

A set of Torx driver points doesn't cost much at all.
Old 07-09-20, 09:43 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Torx drive is more resistant to "cam-out" than slotted or Phillips heads, and more resistant to stripping than hex drive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
I suspect that they tolerate use with worn drivers better than hex, Torx kind of makes sense when reading the numerous posts on this forum asking for help with stripped-out hex drive fasteners.
^ This.

Always thought two things:

1. Torx is better at avoiding "cam-out" (fouling the heads' threads) than Phillips.

2. Mfrs, generally speaking, seem to under-spec the size of the bolt (or screw) for the function. Trying to minimize costs, I'd bet.

Much of the "stripping" of the heads could be alleviated by having larger/deeper-headed Torx screws. Always can be less likely to strip things with better, hardened tools.

That said, I've still seen stripping, and occasional breaking, of a bolt/screw head ... even with Torx.

Prefer them, myself, I suppose, all things considered. So long as it's hardened bolts/screws, sufficiently beefy for the application, with a good tool, and so long as precautions are taken with anti-seize on the bolt/screw itself.
Old 07-09-20, 09:58 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Thanks, this is kind of a fascinating thread. I've only ever thought of Torx screws as a tech thing, didn't realize they were showing up on bikes. Also never realized their advantages.
Old 07-09-20, 10:09 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
^ This.

Always thought two things:

1. Torx is better at avoiding "cam-out" (fouling the heads' threads) than Phillips.

2. Mfrs, generally speaking, seem to under-spec the size of the bolt (or screw) for the function. Trying to minimize costs, I'd bet.

Much of the "stripping" of the heads could be alleviated by having larger/deeper-headed Torx screws. Always can be less likely to strip things with better, hardened tools.

That said, I've still seen stripping, and occasional breaking, of a bolt/screw head ... even with Torx.

Prefer them, myself, I suppose, all things considered. So long as it's hardened bolts/screws, sufficiently beefy for the application, with a good tool, and so long as precautions are taken with anti-seize on the bolt/screw itself.
Phillips was designed to cam out BITD before torque limiting drivers were common; they would cam out before breaking the fastener/stripping the threads.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-09-20, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Automated assembly is easier with torx.
The rebuild of my porch/deck around my house used all Torx flat head wood screws..
battery powered drivers is a staple of the construction biz these days..

Old 07-09-20, 11:47 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Because it's better. I can't count the amount of times I have rounded an hex bolt trying to loosen something that has been assembled for a long time.
I've mostly dealt with Campagnolo torx stuff, which doesn't have a great reputation, but in my experience it strips easier than hex/allen.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You say that like it's a good thing...
Old 07-09-20, 12:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
You say that like it's a good thing...
I understand why they did it. BMW don’t focus on making their bikes convenient for a shade tree mechanic. They often use three or four parts where a Kawasaki might have one, as well, and they have more sensors and computers. But you can always tell that there’s a reason they did it that way, and the result is better. The expense is expensiveness.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-09-20, 12:13 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Judging by the comments in this thread, it seems everything should be torx. Maybe Allen Company had better marketing than Torx Company, and convinced the world to use an inferior product.
Old 07-09-20, 12:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I always love the conspiracy theory folks that think things are done to put a hardship on DIY'ers.

Wait till you learn what a safety torx is! (also known as a security torx)

There are inexpensive driver bits for them too. And they work in a regular torx socket.
Old 07-09-20, 12:23 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As a guy who's driven a few thousand pounds of decking screws, I can say that Torx is the way to go.
Then what is the deal with the square hole screws used for decks, why are those used instead of Torx?
Old 07-09-20, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

This soon to be eight year old article popped up: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Bolt...Win__3170.html
Old 07-09-20, 02:41 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have used square drive screws for decks and cabinetry and can say they take some serious torque loads without rounding out of the head. I assume that is the reason for using them. The head can also be made very small in relation to the screw shaft size.

One issue I have come into with Torx was the bolts securing a rotor to a hub. Bent the shaft of the driver bit, and rounded out the screw heads. Not sure any other screw type would have made a difference, but for sure Torx did not offer any advantage with those 6 bolts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.