Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When did MAFAC Racer brakes start NOT to appear on catalog spec'ed bicycles?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 09:23 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts

Velobase has info indicating that MAFAC Racer brakes were used into the 1980's, which might be true, but that doesn't correlate to what I remember from my bicycle shop visits back then.... I can't remember a single bicycle being spec'ed with them in the early 80's. Of course, the shop I visited didn't carry any French bicycles. What do you guys/gals remember? Thanks for your responses in advance.
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 07-14-20, 09:29 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
Velobase has info indicating that MAFAC Racer brakes were used into the 1980's, which might be true, but that doesn't correlate to what I remember from my bicycle shop visits back then.... I can't remember a single bicycle being spec'ed with them in the early 80's. Of course, the shop I visited didn't carry any French bicycles. What do you guys/gals remember? Thanks for your responses in advance.
I remember only Peugeots still having them at that time. Not 100% sure.. Maybe Gitane. (?) MAFAC went out of business in the early 80s, IIRC.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-14-20, 10:00 PM
uncle uncle

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...ompetition.jpg

This PXN10LE, from 1979 (USA catalog) uses MAFAC Competition centerpull brakes (close enough to Racers)... but the next year, all brakes are Weinmann. Hmm....
Old 07-15-20, 10:41 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
My recollection is that by 1978 it was already over.

I bought a set but never liked them. I got rid of them, possibly threw them away.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 07-15-20, 10:55 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broc...ompetition.jpg

This PXN10LE, from 1979 (USA catalog) uses MAFAC Competition centerpull brakes (close enough to Racers)... but the next year, all brakes are Weinmann. Hmm....
Thanks. I looked through the catalogs. It appears that yeah, 1979 is the last year. After that they came with MAFAC sidepulls for a few years through 1983, when they went out of business, AFAIK.

I remember seeing Competition brakes both on club rides and in races during the very early 80s. In retrospect, I guess they were on bikes that were a few years old. Not unusual. Juniors especially typically couldn't afford a brand new bike. MAFAC was seen as somewhat non conformist at the time, like driving a Saab or something. This being within a sport that was already a little counter-cultural, at the time anyway.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-15-20, 11:13 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
My recently acquired ‘83 UO-14 was equipped with Mafac Racer centerpulls and levers. Interesting thread. I too had wondered how long they continued with ‘70’s brakesets into the ‘80’s.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 07-15-20, 02:01 PM
uncle uncle

So far, some great info coming from out of everywhere. So, my personal story related to MAFAC Racer centerpulls is set in the context of when I came to real 10 speed bicycling, which meant 1982, my first year in college, and a move to a city big enough to have bicycle shops. I don't recall seeing any MAFAC Racers on any new bicycles by that time, nor did anyone I rode with have them installed... but we all had pretty new bicycles. I remember seeing them on bicycles that came into repair, after I started working at the bicycle shop, circa 1985. By then, sidepulls had become the normal, "looks correct" fashion in brakes, though very entry level bicycles probably still had Weinmann or Dia Compe centerpulls. Even Weinmann's and Dia Compe's centerpulls made MAFAC brakes look heavy, unnecessarily complex, and thus dated (all in my innocent uneducated knowledge at the time) . The head mech at the shop told me that "they were hard to adjust correctly, and squealed", which didn't bode well for me either. Now, many people here really swear by them, if they're not swearing at the squeals they make. I hope to hunt down a pair of them, and give them a squeeze... but I did want context into when they were prevalent, and where one could expect them to be used. So far, I'm getting a "French bicycle, up to late 70's" vibe for when/where they are appropriate.
Old 07-15-20, 02:21 PM
Salamandrine 

It's funny how the attitude changed in just a few years. Let's put this in perspective of the times. Circa the mid to late 70s, center pull brakes were one of the biggest indicators of a quality bicycle. Actually, it was probably the main thing. We kids had all suffered through cheap steel sidepull brakes on various cheap bikes. They barely stopped, and they would always go off center and start rubbing the rim. They were just generally a pain. When you first tried one of those fancy (usually French) bikes with center pull brakes, it was immediately and obviously a monstrous improvement. They stopped with real power, and they always stayed centered. You did not need to fiddle with them all the time. They just worked and worked well. Magic!

The head mech at the shop told me that "they were hard to adjust correctly, and squealed", which didn't bode well for me either.
IMHO, not really. I've never met a set of center pulls I could not easily adjust and set up to be squeal free. That mech probably didn't know how to adjust them correctly. CP brakes really aren't that difficult. The early Dia Compe cantis were relatively much more annoying. I hated U brakes most of all, but it was primarily because of the inconvenient location. The bike had to be flipped around in the stand to get to them.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-15-20, 04:14 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by Salamandrine

...IMHO, not really. I've never met a set of center pulls I could not easily adjust and set up to be squeal free. ...
Yeah... the head mech was probably just being nice to me and bailing me out with an excuse because I was struggling with the brakes, having never had a history with them. He probably could adjust them with one hand, while eating a sandwich with the other, and manning the phone.
Old 07-15-20, 08:53 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The Mafac/Spidel sidepulls were some of the last Mafac brakes that I can remember seeing as new OEM-spec, on bikes like upper-tier Peugeot or Gitane from 1980 or 1981.

Doubtless some lower-tier models persisted with the Racers, as OldsCOOL mentioned. I recall the Racer model (if that what it was still called) appeared to be redesigned by then, from a different mold.
Likes For dddd:
Old 07-16-20, 01:34 AM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I seem to remember a few mountain bikes with them as late as 1984-85, but they were odd brands sold by parts distributors.
After that I remember seeing them on all sorts of blow out sales for cheap.
The shop I worked at in school used to toss them from brand new bikes, so many people complained or wanted them upgraded they just assembled the bikes with Weinmann brakes and levers.

Mafac went away around the same time that CLB did, and the French bikes were losing out to Japanese bikes in sales. Before the 80's were out, there were no more French bikes on the floor, it was all Asian bikes for the most part. Companies were failing, changing hands, and shops were scampering for new lines to carry that would sell. Where I was, in the 70's Peugeot and Raleigh were king, by 1980, things were starting to change, sales slowed down, bikes were changing, more and more Asian brands were available, and the wholesale sources were changing. New companies were gaining popularity and thus gaining more floor space in the showroom.