Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What was your hottest day for a bike ride?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What was your hottest day for a bike ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 09:19 AM
drpaddle
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
That would have been in Dubai, back in ‘38.
Well into triple digits.
Lead swaged ends in our brake and shift cables would pull off, causing all kinds of havic.
Dickie Haverson, one of my riding partners, Oxford ‘32, had two of his chain pins melt around mid-day.
Heat was so bad it caused the tubes in our tires to swell and burst, had to dip them in the river from time to time or they would explode.
Never did have the blistered paint resprayed.
Best response ever...
Likes For drpaddle:
Old 07-21-20, 09:27 AM
drpaddle
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts
I don't know what the temperature was, because in 1970 you couldn't check your phone for it and mercury thermometers tended to bust in jersey pockets. We were heading back from the youth hostel in Hemet, California, headed the 90 miles to La Jolla. Approaching Temecula, it got so hot that our Clement rim glue melted and started flowing. Streamers of glue were flying through the air. We were leaving indented tracks on the asphalt. There were some sprinklers running on a lawn near the edge of town -- best feeling ever.
Old 07-21-20, 09:57 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
2011 Lighthouse Century on ""cool" California central coast. It was 104 or so, though a friend's Garmin was showing 108°. The highest Ive seen on my Garmin was 104.9 in Pasadena last sumner.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-21-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-21-20, 10:17 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
When I was fixing aircraft in Yuma, AZ back in the late 70's, I recall the flight line getting up to 124F.
I think I was smart enough to not ride at those temperatures, but I know it took a few bad experiences to start riding either at dawn or dusk.
In fact, even back in the midwest, I'm still fond of riding either early or late in the day when it is hot out.

off topic.... one benefit of Yuma was that the sunsets could be quite impressive!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 07-21-20, 11:01 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
RAIN 2019. I made it to the lunch stop, 95 miles in, and called it there. Temps were in the triple digits by then. I was lucky enough to find a good samaritan that could take me and my bike on to Richmond (where my truck was parked). I saw @nomadmax come in, and @RobbieTunes was inbound but a couple of hours out. With a 5 hour drive waiting, I made the call to head for home. That was brutal. Rob and Allan are beasts for finishing that ride. Mental health professionals should probably schedule a session for both of them.
Old 07-21-20, 11:06 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by drpaddle
Best response ever...
At least he didn't say they had to drink out of a puddle
Old 07-21-20, 11:10 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
RAIN 2019. I made it to the lunch stop, 95 miles in, and called it there. Temps were in the triple digits by then. I was lucky enough to find a good samaritan that could take me and my bike on to Richmond (where my truck was parked). I saw @nomadmax come in, and @RobbieTunes was inbound but a couple of hours out. With a 5 hour drive waiting, I made the call to head for home. That was brutal. Rob and Allan are beasts for finishing that ride. Mental health professionals should probably schedule a session for both of them.
I think it's a matter of not much common sense. I had an experience on that ride I've never, ever, had before. The silicone gripper on my right shorts leg and right jersey sleeve burned my skin until it blistered. I don't know which I'm more surprised by; that it happened or that the conditions were so poor that I didn't notice until I was finished. I shoulda quit.
Old 07-21-20, 11:14 AM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
119 F - July 22, 2006. Still the record for all of L.A county.
I was climbing a local legbreaker called Fernwood Pacific in the Santa Monicas that morning and suddenly realized that was the hottest I'd ever been,
Seems I was right.
Old 07-21-20, 12:10 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by kermie
Back in the early 90's I rode the Hotter Than Hell 100 in Witchita Falls Texas....in August. Temps hit 107 with a strong south wind....The picture was taken in the morning, before the heat hit, and I still was on the high of starting the ride. I'm sure a picture at the end would have lacked the smile
Yup, HHH was my hottest ride too. The first year I did it in 2006, it was so hot they closed off Hell's Gate early and I ended up on the 60 mile route. I remember it being 108 on the downtown bank marquee when riding into town. Or maybe it was when I did the full hundred in 2009? Either way, that ride is a scorcher.
Likes For tricky:
Old 07-21-20, 12:32 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
This!

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
This, and it was a day, not a ride...
nomadmax and speedevil and I.
88 at 5:20 when we took pics.
88 at 5:30 when Allan and I started at the IL/IN line, rode to the start, a brief stop to pick up Dale, and we were off, already dripping.

92 at 7:30 and heat index hit 100, but we were rolling well. Air went from dark and wet, thick like a shower room, to “Oh, crap, the sun’s up.”
By the metric stop (#2), SAG was active and people were having 2nd thoughts. Heat index was 104.

By lunch at 93 miles, heat index steady at 106; friends and family were already arguing with riders to stop. (The leaders went through at 2:29). By 100 miles, citizens were out with hoses, ice, water.

At 103 miles, I met a lady who had 74 centuries under her, including Hotter’n Hell, and by 117, she was done. At 120, she re-appeared and we took it to 130, a fire station where paramedics were pulling folks out of the event. She stopped there.

I don’t remember much from 130 to 165, other than most riders no longer riding; convenience stores being out of ice cups. We’d buy a whole bag, take some, leave it on the curb for the next riders.

I rolled into the end to see @nomadmax already showered, but since it had been his idea to go to the IN/OH line, he pulled the bike out of the truck and we did the sweltering last 5 to OH. It was still 96 and indexed 106. I burned my Legs, lips, arms, and scalp; got a good tan through the jersey. My carbon saddle sliced through the bibs on both sides, but not through the pad...

Most riders DNF, like 60%. I just remember being thrilled to be there, exhilarated to ride 40 with Allan, then making plans to sell all my bikes and just ride my motorcycle. Mostly, I remember being soaking wet all day.

The prize was the lady. We are still together.
For the win! Robbie, you have a way with words.
​Thanks for that. Cheers, and smiles, Eric
Old 07-22-20, 06:55 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Swamp cows don’t care how hot it gets. 😎😎😎

This was earlier today, along the Yolo Causeway, between Davis & Sacramento.