Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike manufacturers forcing us/riders to 1x drive trains

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike manufacturers forcing us/riders to 1x drive trains

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 01:17 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
For crying out loud, people, you can get a Specialized Tarmac with any build you want. With more options than even Project One offers.

They sell this as a frameset, and is available in five different colors.

Custom Build with literally anything that will fit. The world is your oyster, here. It does not get any more “a la carte” than that.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-24-20 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-24-20, 01:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
@GlennR and @guadzilla both mention Project One—PROOF that a successful bime manufacturer can build bikes the way the customer wants them.
Project One comes with "some assembly required. It comes in a box with just the crank installed. everything else the LBS, or you , need to do.

But buying a Project One is cheaper than buying the frameset and all the individual parts.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-24-20, 01:41 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Isn't the point of 1x to offer greater chain stability in offroad / rough conditions?
It's popular (and reliable) in demanding conditions like cyclocross and downhill or cross-country mountain biking.
If that's how you intend to use your bike, then consider 1x (I guess).

I think it goes hand-in-hand with the current emphasis on greater tire clearance, another concern for offroad / gravel conditions which might warrant bigger tires for improved stability.
The tire clearance is often the very next thing touted on the manufacture's description of a bike that offers 1x drivetrain.

So bike makers are offering models with 1x and tire clearance in response to the growing popularity of gravel riding.
If you don't plan to take this bike offroad, there are plenty of road bikes in all price ranges available with the conventional 2x setup.

I'm kinda skeptical of the one-bike, do-it-all thing that's flying around now.
On pavement, my trail bike lags way behind the performance I get on my road bike . . . but I'd never try to ride my road bike on the trails here, I'd hit the deck within the first minute.
Neither of my bikes is suited for the other discipline, and I don't want to compromise my ride on road or trails in order to use one bike for both.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 08-24-20, 01:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Project One comes with "some assembly required. It comes in a box with just the crank installed. everything else the LBS, or you , need to do. .
I got most of my bikes in a box, or most of them in several bags and boxes delivered over a span of time. Assembly is actually fun, for me.

However, if it is cheaper to buy the Project One package ... I could spend the extra on having an LBS do it, if i didn't have the tools or skills. I can't imagine a bike shop would charge more than a hundred or a couple hundred, and I would be riding home on exactly what i wanted.

And really, except installing the headset (built a press out of PVC tubes, but there are more professional options) what part of assembly is hard? Maybe tuning the derailleurs or bleeding disc brakes ... but both are things an owner might want to learn .... or accept the bike shop fee when those maintenance items come up.

To each his own .... but i would gladly buy an unassembled bike if it was going to eventually be exactly what i wanted, instead of spending ten thousand dollars to buy something i didn't want.
Old 08-24-20, 01:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Exactly - the Project One is a demonstration that this is possible.

As you say, the build costs could be different - but they could always charge a little bit of extra money to get this done. Add in a 4-6 week delivery time, and you are in business. Hell, depending on volume, they could send a monthly container from Taiwan with the customized builds. Works for Orbea and Factor.
Heck, somehow Ribble has cracked the code on this.. and their scale/size has to be dwarfed by the likes of the big 4. RIBBLE Bike Builder

I've argued before that there should simply be modules that customers can purchase -- picked/packed and shipped to LBS for assembly from the distributor. Frame/Color + Cockpit + Groupset + Wheelset. LBS does assembly and customer pays eg. a $200 upcharge for that to be done. LBS is happy getting a bit more $$, Customer is happy getting color and configuration that they like. Win win.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-24-20, 02:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Again, Quintana Roo pulls this off as well. They do their paint in Chattanooga, so they have the bare frames there and you pick your paint and build kit. It’s absolutely doable, but maybe not as easy for existing brands used to doing business this way. However, paint tied to build kit is very common, and is at most tangentially related to 1x.
Old 08-24-20, 02:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I got most of my bikes in a box, or most of them in several bags and boxes delivered over a span of time. Assembly is actually fun, for me.

However, if it is cheaper to buy the Project One package ... I could spend the extra on having an LBS do it, if i didn't have the tools or skills. I can't imagine a bike shop would charge more than a hundred or a couple hundred, and I would be riding home on exactly what i wanted.

And really, except installing the headset (built a press out of PVC tubes, but there are more professional options) what part of assembly is hard? Maybe tuning the derailleurs or bleeding disc brakes ... but both are things an owner might want to learn .... or accept the bike shop fee when those maintenance items come up.

To each his own .... but i would gladly buy an unassembled bike if it was going to eventually be exactly what i wanted, instead of spending ten thousand dollars to buy something i didn't want.
I rather build it myself.... I trust no one.

Even on my second bike that came mostly assembled, I went over all the fasteners.
Old 08-24-20, 07:10 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
For $9500, I am doing a custom build from the frame up. What is offered in the “complete” line becomes irrelevant.
The OP had that choice, but chose to go complete, off the shelf. Don’t hate on the company for offering that option. But if you are going that route (let someone else choose the build) they can’t please everyone.
Call it custom build, Project One, MyOrbea or whatever - all I am saying is that for halo bikes, it would be good to have the option to get the components you want. I am not sure how asking for this makes me a hater.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 08-24-20, 07:17 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've argued before that there should simply be modules that customers can purchase -- picked/packed and shipped to LBS for assembly from the distributor. Frame/Color + Cockpit + Groupset + Wheelset. LBS does assembly and customer pays eg. a $200 upcharge for that to be done. LBS is happy getting a bit more $$, Customer is happy getting color and configuration that they like. Win win.
Oh yeah - this would also be pretty awesome: being able to get a frame + groupset, and having the choice of adding your own stem/bar/wheels. There are a couple of options:
Wheels: sell the bike without the wheels entirely or have a wheel upgrade option available which does NOT require you to sell the existing wheel back at a ridiculously low price
Contact points: included in the price but you get to pick the sizes

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Again, Quintana Roo pulls this off as well. They do their paint in Chattanooga, so they have the bare frames there and you pick your paint and build kit. It’s absolutely doable, but maybe not as easy for existing brands used to doing business this way. However, paint tied to build kit is very common, and is at most tangentially related to 1x.
I imagine the same process that lets you pick your choice of paint options would also let you pick your choice of groupset to put on a frame....
Old 08-24-20, 08:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Call it custom build, Project One, MyOrbea or whatever - all I am saying is that for halo bikes, it would be good to have the option to get the components you want. I am not sure how asking for this makes me a hater.
You CAN customize it. They sell it as a frame-only for that very purpose.
Old 08-24-20, 10:08 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
If the shop you're buying from won't put a 2x on it for you, then I'd find another shop. I had the shop change groupsets on the last two bikes I bought, and they're getting ready to do it again for my next bike. When you're spending that much money, you should get exactly what you want.
To be fair we haven't approached the LBS about swapping out the groupo yet. Mrs. NW is no reconsidering if she does indeed want a new bike so everything is now just on hold until she figures out what patch to take. And by that time summer will be done in our part of the world and the whole thing will be moot!

The OP had that choice, but chose to go complete, off the shelf. Don’t hate on the company for offering that option. But if you are going that route (let someone else choose the build) they can’t please everyone.
Well for starters we were looking at off the shelf. But to get the groupo and build Mrs. NW wants, a custom build will likely be the way to go. Unless, of course, the LBS can swap out/in the groupo she wants.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-24-20, 10:24 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Are you sure 1x will not suit her?
I have it on some of my bikes and like it.
I admit that it isn't ideal for all people or applications, but for some it is great.
Old 08-24-20, 11:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Oh yeah - this would also be pretty awesome: being able to get a frame + groupset, and having the choice of adding your own stem/bar/wheels. There are a couple of options:
Wheels: sell the bike without the wheels entirely or have a wheel upgrade option available which does NOT require you to sell the existing wheel back at a ridiculously low price

I imagine the same process that lets you pick your choice of paint options would also let you pick your choice of groupset to put on a frame....
Impossible. Next thing you're going to want bike companies to make frames in different sizes to fit different people.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-25-20, 04:02 AM
dukeiii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Sram DUB crank set is very modular, swap in a 2x Chainring and add a force axs front derailleur. It's easy and doesn't cost much.
Likes For dukeiii:
Old 08-25-20, 05:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Ideally you want the bike manufacturer to be able to still pass along the preferential OEM pricing that the component suppliers give them. Aside from contact point sizing.. in theory you could even be picking the cassette range and crankarm lengths, etc.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-25-20, 07:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Not sure I'd say they do it well.. I just played a bit with their site. Moving from a 105 group to an Ultegra group adds $1100 with the same wheelset. DA Di2 adds $2400 to cost over what Ultegra Di2 costs..
Old 08-25-20, 08:17 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure I'd say they do it well.. I just played a bit with their site. Moving from a 105 group to an Ultegra group adds $1100 with the same wheelset. DA Di2 adds $2400 to cost over what Ultegra Di2 costs..
I’m sure it costs more to have that flexibility. You’re not going to have flexibility and the same price as when the whole thing is boxed in Asia. Turns out Project One isn’t cheap either.
Old 08-25-20, 08:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I’m sure it costs more to have that flexibility. You’re not going to have flexibility and the same price as when the whole thing is boxed in Asia. Turns out Project One isn’t cheap either.
Yeah, but when an Ultegra groupset costs $1100 off the shelf from an etailer, the upcharge over 105 shouldn't be the same amount.

EDIT: You might as well do your build on eg. Adrenaline Bikes if all you're getting paying is retail price add-ons
Old 08-25-20, 10:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
For crying out loud, people, you can get a Specialized Tarmac with any build you want. With more options than even Project One offers.

They sell this as a frameset, and is available in five different colors.

Custom Build with literally anything that will fit. The world is your oyster, here. It does not get any more “a la carte” than that.
Originally Posted by GlennR
Project One comes with "some assembly required. It comes in a box with just the crank installed. everything else the LBS, or you , need to do. But buying a Project One is cheaper than buying the frameset and all the individual parts.
Everyone who has built a bike (or several) frame-up knows that the issue is parts cost—the manufacturers can get parts for a fraction of retail, and since Shimano changed its pricing policy, things are much worse.

One can either spend many, many hours online trying to find cheap and decent parts (the seller might Claim they are “new take-off” and the might even really be that) while waiting to begin the build, or bite the bullet and spend the cash …. But building your own doesn’t save much unless you are going super-high-end (because of the luxury premium) or have a huge stock of parts in your garage.

I have never priced out a build for a top-end Tarmac because I don’t need one, but the latest electronic shifting groups cost more than some of my complete builds, and wheels at that level can cost about as much.

The benefit of a Project One sort of purchase is that everything arrives at the same time, you are pretty much guaranteed that everything is what is was claimed to be (and have easy recourse if it isn’t) and everything is brand-new.

However …. If I could drop ten grand on a bike no problem, I could build some wonderful bikes, I am sure, and get them painted however I desired.

So I guess where all this leaves us is …. The premise of this thread is inane. And since we already knew that since Post #1 …. I have succeeded! I have wasted thousands of words, thousands of seconds, and thousands of seconds of other people’s lives saying Absolutely Nothing on the Internet.

Thanks for joining me on the Ride to Nowhere.
Old 08-25-20, 02:11 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
Gear inches. I want 30 at the bottom and 110 at the top.

Just wondering, can you do that with a 1x?
It won't be long until Campy Ekar 1x13 is available. The top gear of 110 inches is a 4.07 gear ratio. A 38 chain ring will exceed your need with the 9T small sprocket. 30 inches is a 1.1 ratio. The new 9-42 will produce a 1.1 ratio with the 38 chainring and 42 sprocket. The 9-42 has a 466% range.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 08-25-20 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 02:27 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
It won't be long until Campy Ekar 1x13 is available. The top gear of 110 inches is a 4.07 gear ratio. A 38 chain ring will exceed your need with the 9T small sprocket. 30 inches is a 1.1 ratio. The new 9-42 will produce a 1.1 ratio with the 38 chainring and 42 sprocket. The 9-42 has a 466% range.
A 500% and 520% range is available now, for those that desire it.
Old 08-25-20, 02:43 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
A 500% and 520% range is available now, for those that desire it.
Yes, but those cassette would be awful for road use, with 10-12-14...sprocket spacing.

Ekar 1x13 will have 9-10-11-12-13-14-16-18-21-25-30-36-42. Way better for road or gravel.
Old 08-25-20, 02:58 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I have 1x with a 10-51t cassette on my mountain bike, and it's never dropped a chain. The chain drop issue has been solved, but I suspect at the cost of increased drivetrain friction.
..... I'd hold off on that statement.

An individual I know, whom I won't out on a forum, who is actually "the" guy when it comes to the whole "1x" thing and I had a talk about this a few years back.

We were at Jingle Cross. It was a typical mud fest. On the day of the World Cup Races I was touring the team compounds and getting mechanic's autographs (because it's funnier than hell to see their faces when I ask for theirs instead of the rider's). I ended up swinging by the Rapha compound. Long line for Powers but there was Ellen Noble kind of hanging out. We have exchanged a few messages as she has grown up after hitting my radar at a USGP Race when she was like 14 or 15 (we share a birthday as well so she's kinda my hero). I figured I would say hey. I smiled and waved and she said, "HEY Rob!" I was floored that she remembered me/knew who I was.

We just got started chatting when "the" guy, who is hanging in the compound as well, jumps up and goes, "ROB! You've been int he pits for the last few day. You gotta tell me how you think CX1 is doing in these conditions." SRAM CX1 had just hit the market earlier in the season.

Funny part is he cut off Ellen and didn't even realize he did (he's just that passionate about what he does) and Ellen raised he head and looked over him at me and shrugged her shoulders and waived in a sort of "well I guess we're done talking now - take care" sort of gesture. Probably one of the coolest moments I have had in this sport tbh.

ANYWAY - the point of this story here (besides me being able to name drop) is that we went on to discuss chain retention. He told me in no uncertain terms that chain retention in those conditions was impossible even with all of the retention features of CX1. "You HAVE to use a chain keeping device of some sort in addition. The mud will just pack up an push the chain up and over the ring eventually. We even tell the pro mtb teams not to run without a chain keeper in really muddy conditions. You just can't do it." He then went on to explain that he had left his chain keeper on his desk at home before driving out and as a result he lost his own chain twice while racing the day before. "Of course it has to happen to me, right? As soon as I hit the ground I popped up to see who saw me first before putting the chain back on."

noodle soup when you say they have it solved I would agree to a large extent but would add the caveat - "in most normal riding conditions" - to it. Really though I just wanted to tell this story.

Narrow wide helps, Jockey pulleys with narrow wide help. Clutched RD's help....but they don't SOLVE it completely.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-25-20, 03:09 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Also - "Forced"? Meh.

We had triples. Then compact chainrings "solved" the shifting problems and weight concerns of the triple.
Then mtb went 1x. Cross carried it over to the road market. It makes perfect sense in cross racing. Less stuff to break or clean each lap and the needed gear range can be hit easily and tweaked with 1x.

Criterium racing can easily utilize 1x very effectively.
Road racing in a 1x is plenty fine but does actually start to depend on the course.

Normal enthusiasts just riding along as their singular gearing setup to be used for the entire life of the bike in all conditions and applications? I would say 1x is a bit heavy handed there. The gearing ranges can be tweaked to "hit" everything a 2x would but it's still with some jumps and gaps that just aren't acceptable for me in particular.

This is the bicycle industry though. We will see this all go one direction then someone will come up with all sorts of marketing reasons to go back the other way. We have consistently done this for generations. 1x will be no different. People will start heading back to 2x at some point. Then I am almost positive we will see triples come back with electronic shifting. Super tight gear ratios. Synchro shifting, etc.

That's all unless all the internal hubs don't start to dominate the world.

Old 08-25-20, 03:17 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
Gear inches. I want 30 at the bottom and 110 at the top.

Just wondering, can you do that with a 1x?
Yes. Use a 40t in the front, and 10-50t Eagle cassette in the back. Done.

Bicycle Gear Calculator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.