Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mikashima Unique Custom Pedal Love

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 02:19 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts

I fell in love with these pedals the first time I opened the box, back in 1980. They've stayed in the box ever since, though they've been through a whole bunch of household moves. The first Suntour Superbe pedals were, as far as I can tell, simply rebadged versions of these bad boys.

If they otherwise look familiar, eyeball some Campy Record/SL pedals. Imagine how the steel-cage versions would look in satiny aluminum, or how the black alloy cages would look in silver. And then imagine a much higher level of finish and attention to detail, like machining away the raised flash around the strap openings in the pedal body.

The only thing that takes away from the oozing of class, the only fly in the ointment to my eye, is the "MKS" and the very-Japanese stamping of the model number on the outside edge of the cage. Somehow the clean/crisp "MKS UNIQUE CUSTOM" engraving on the front/rear of the cage wasn't enough---Mikashima was very proud of this pedal, and very proud of its "UCR-02" model number. Makes me wonder what the UCR-01 might have been---track? Maybe I'd be OK with the "MKS" on the outside edge if it was on the forward part of the cage on both pedals, instead of on the front of one and on the rear of the other.

Although the Mikashima spindles aren't rifled like the Campys, I'm pretty sure all removable parts are interchangeable. So if you're needing spindles or cones or end caps for your Campy Record/SL, Mikashima could come to your rescue.

Handy tip for the cheapskates: whenever you manage to snag a set of Campy pedals with clean end caps, if you're going to be riding the Campys and aren't a bloody anorak, swap the clean Campy end caps for some MKS caps, like this:
https://www.benscycle.com/MKS-SYLVAN...8aArAfEALw_wcB

These are the newer Sylvan caps, which are shaped a little different than the Campy caps, but are the same thread. If you're not fussy, gently file away the raised MKS logo, put 'em on your Campy pedals, then scrape 'em up to your heart's content. Sell off the clean Campy end caps to the anoraks who will pay good $$$ for genuine Campy end caps. I used to get nearly free Campy pedals that way, buy a beat-up pair with clean caps for $35-$40, sell the caps for $35-$40, and the pedals only cost $10 for the MKS caps. But no matchy-matchy.

You used to be able to find Campy-clone domed MKS end caps, like the ones on these pedals, which was even better, because with those you couldn't tell the difference without getting your nose up close enough to see there was no Campy lettering on them.

Anyhow, a few pix follow, more here on flickr:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmoxFY7o

Old 08-31-20, 02:55 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

Thanks very much for posting.

Great pictures.

Have a set of original Mikashima Unique road pedals which I like but have never used. They came to me second hand and are a missing one of the dustcovers. Dustcovers are of a design which seems to interchange with nothing else so have been unable to put them to use. Forty years of snoozing!

-----
Old 08-31-20, 08:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Glad you brought these up, I have a similar pair of Unique Road's that have been needing to get cleaned up for service, cleanup happened today so overhaul will be next.

First good pedals I had were steel cage Unique Quill that came on a Mizutani Super Seraph in HS. Ended up being very glad it had these and the "Mighty" Sugino Mighty Competition crankset as I proceeded to let them get the factory grease washed out very quickly and before I knew it.

All survived just fine despite my ignorance and lived on for many years until they were stolen with the Raleigh SC they were on.

Huge fan ever since having benefited from their bulletproof nature.
Old 08-31-20, 09:33 PM
pcb 

Nice! I had these on my commuter way back then, I think I added some kind of alloy add-on toe flip on the rear cage plate to make it easier to flip the pedal around. I always liked that they took the extra step to rivet in the crank/toe-strap rub protectors, instead of just folding over a chunk o' steel.

Originally Posted by merziac
Glad you brought these up, I have a similar pair of Unique Road's that have been needing to get cleaned up for service, cleanup happened today so overhaul will be next.

First good pedals I had were steel cage Unique Quill that came on a Mizutani Super Seraph in HS. Ended up being very glad it had these and the "Mighty" Sugino Mighty Competition crankset as I proceeded to let them get the factory grease washed out very quickly and before I knew it.

All survived just fine despite my ignorance and lived on for many years until they were stolen with the Raleigh SC they were on.

Huge fan ever since having benefited from their bulletproof nature.
Old 08-31-20, 10:44 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Great pedals indeed. Beautifully anodized and smooth as buttah.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 09-01-20, 12:03 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Especially current day, MKS are one of the best values in cycling, great looks, excellent quality, tough as nails, all at a very reasonable price.
Old 09-01-20, 01:53 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Aren't rifled like the Campys, I'm pretty sure all removable parts are interchangeable. So if you're needing spindles or cones or end caps for your Campy Record/SL, Mikashima could come to your rescue.
Probably the same with the KKT Pro Ace as well.

I'd like to see a wide shot or two of your photo staging.
Old 09-01-20, 05:56 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I had a pair of these with the black anodized cages. They replaced the Campagnolo SL, whose cages I had worn out in two seasons. The MKS had more durable cages.
Old 09-01-20, 06:17 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I love MKS pedals - they're simple, durable, no-nonsense, reliable, smooth, and reasonably priced. What really amazed me was how responsive the company can be. Somewhere I have the email address still - several years ago I had two pairs of MKS Sylvan track pedals with bent left spindles due to poor cornering on my part. I found an email address and wrote to them to see how I could get replacement parts. They wrote back and asked me to mail them $9 cash and they would send me two left spindles. I did, and they did, and those pedals are still in use today.

I also have a pair of MKS Uniques that came with my pieced-together Allegro. I wonder if they take the same spindles - the previous owner managed to tweak the left one just enough to be noticeable ...
Old 09-01-20, 06:40 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
They certainly look nice, but I do not understand the name. A Campy copy, yet "unique"?

Originally Posted by pcb
Handy tip for the cheapskates: whenever you manage to snag a set of Campy pedals with clean end caps, if you're going to be riding the Campys and aren't a bloody anorak, swap the clean Campy end caps for some MKS caps, like this:
https://www.benscycle.com/MKS-SYLVAN...8aArAfEALw_wcB
Great tip -- I'm looking right now at a set of Campy track pedals from one of my bikes that is missing a cap, and don't want to pay eBay $$$$ for a replacement.

Old 09-01-20, 10:50 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by pcb
...The only thing that takes away from the oozing of class, the only fly in the ointment to my eye, is the "MKS" and the very-Japanese stamping of the model number on the outside edge of the cage. Somehow the clean/crisp "MKS UNIQUE CUSTOM" engraving on the front/rear of the cage wasn't enough---Mikashima was very proud of this pedal, and very proud of its "UCR-02" model number. Makes me wonder what the UCR-01 might have been---track? Maybe I'd be OK with the "MKS" on the outside edge if it was on the forward part of the cage on both pedals, instead of on the front of one and on the rear of the other...
I went back and dug out my set of Unique and the box. They pre-date yours, as Mikashima is spelled out in full on the cage and there is no model number or 'Custom' designation. No model number on the box either, unless it's part of the Japanese characters.

Unique was the series designation for MKS' top grade pedals and it it dates back to at least the pre-boom era of the mid-1960s. Originally, there was just the Unique series, then it was divided into Unique Custom and Unique Royal, with the former having a forged shell and the latter having a cast shell. The original Unique series and the two subsequent Unique Custom and Unique Royal series, had both road and track models.
Old 09-01-20, 11:09 AM
juvela

-----

Interesting to note that the subject set is metric. Perchance this may be why they have not been put to use...

-----
Old 09-01-20, 11:33 AM
pcb 

They're 9/16" x 20tpi, the standard for quality pedals/cranks. Or am I missing something?

I never used them because they looked so lovely I didn't have the heart to get them all greasy and scuffed. I don't hold onto many NOS/vintage bits just for appreciation, I'm definitely of the "these things were made to be used" school. But these guys somehow...these and a couple/few Suntour Microlite freewheels. I used to build the Microlite bodies with the largest 2 cogs steel, thinking I'd get to use them longer due to lower cog wear. Not thinking that smaller cogs wear out much quicker, and the weight penalty for using steel i/o alloy on the smaller cogs was less than on the bigger cogs. Shoulda built 'em with steel 13-15-17t cogs, and alloy for the 2-3 biggest...

Originally Posted by juvela
-----
Interesting to note that the subject set is metric. Perchance this may be why they have not been put to use...
-----
Old 09-01-20, 12:05 PM
juvela

-----

the spindles are marked with a letter M indicating that they are metric thread

so the thread is 14.0mm X 1.25

note the examples posted by others; their spindles lack the M marking

-----
Old 09-01-20, 12:28 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I no longer have these but they're take offs that came with a 2nd gen black DA group so they likely pre-date these Customs. The 'dirt' is seepage of the original grease.
Can't tell if that's an M or if it is, perhaps it's simply Mikashima? Doesn't look the same.

Last edited by clubman; 09-01-20 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-01-20, 01:13 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I no longer have these but they're take offs that came with a 2nd gen black DA group so they likely pre-date these Customs. The 'dirt' is seepage of the original grease.
Can't tell if that's an M or if it is, perhaps it's simply Mikashima? Doesn't look the same.

I bought this set from you. They're now on my Raleigh Grand Sports and I love them. Here's some pics if their markings.

Last edited by 76SLT; 09-01-20 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 02:02 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT
I bought this set from you. They're now on my Raleigh Grand Sports and I love them. Here's some pics if their markings.
Oh yeah, glad you like them. I can't ride clips and straps anymore so it's best somebody puts them to work. I suffer from chronic sellers remorse but I'm trying hard to get over it so I can sell the rest of the pile.
Old 09-02-20, 07:21 PM
pcb 

Don't know what the "M" stands for, but the threads are not metric. 9/16"x20, just like what's marked on the box. I just threaded them into a brand-new set of non-metric crankarms to be sure.

-----

the spindles are marked with a letter M indicating that they are metric thread

so the thread is 14.0mm X 1.25

note the examples posted by others; their spindles lack the M marking

-----
Old 09-02-20, 07:24 PM
juvela

-----

Thank you for the update.

Good to read all is well sorted.

Evidently one of those cases where an M marking did not stand for metric.

My apologies for the false alarm.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 09-02-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-05-20, 08:21 PM
merziac

Bump!

Standby for more MKS love.
Old 09-06-20, 08:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
They are a close copy of Campagnolo's Record pedals. The only closer copy is the KKT Pro-Ace.

I have a set of MKS Unique track pedals, con denti. They don't have a model designation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
unique.jpg (24.8 KB, 70 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-06-20, 10:15 AM
merziac

-----

Thanks very much for posting.

Great pictures.

Have a set of original Mikashima Unique road pedals which I like but have never used. They came to me second hand and are a missing one of the dustcovers. Dustcovers are of a design which seems to interchange with nothing else so have been unable to put them to use. Forty years of snoozing!

-----
Those take the larger diameter caps from the older design.

The ones with the slot are the version for these, the older ones of these only have a slot with no serrations.

I have a set with no caps and was cleaning them, going to see if I can fab an adapter of some sort for temporary/show.

Can we see yours?
Old 09-06-20, 11:03 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Lovely MKS bling. I agree MKS stuff is great I have two pairs of MKS 'sneaker" pedals (RMX). I don't have to mess with clips and straps and I am way too slow for clipless, the Sneakers are perfect and bullet proof -not as beautiful more industrial looking but so very functional
Old 09-06-20, 11:12 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by merziac
Those take the larger diameter caps from the older design.

The ones with the slot are the version for these, the older ones of these only have a slot with no serrations.

I have a set with no caps and was cleaning them, going to see if I can fab an adapter of some sort for temporary/show.

Can we see yours?
-----

Ah gotz me no peecha takin' thingus.

Far az ah been able to figger they be not show'd at either vb or speedplay.

Also checked google images and ebay just nowe without enny hitz.

Thar be a pair on ebay with the slotted dustcaps but it is later than my set. The one here does not have the uniform teeth all the way 'round the edge of the cap.

Cap is indeed large diameter w/male threads. Threads appear to be quite fine although ha' no chequed 'em w/gauge.

Believe me set to hail fra ~MCMLXX.

-----
Old 09-06-20, 12:48 PM
T-Mar

...Evidently one of those cases where an M marking did not stand for metric....
The one here does not have the uniform teeth all the way 'round the edge of the cap...
The block letter 'M' may be a simplification of Mikashima's previous, stylized-M logo. The latter appears on both my box (lower left corner) and the wrench flat of the axle. I've seen a couple of catalogues and neither mentioned the availability of metric threading, though I must admit that the latter of the two was from the period when even the French were abandoning the standard.

My pedals came with a "UNIQUETOOL". Look close and you'll see how the teeth are in sets of three, with a double spaced gap between each set of teeth. Pics courtesy of my son.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.