Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

not sealed wheels

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

not sealed wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 03:26 PM
freak

Bikes: nothing special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not sealed wheels

When I see a wheelset advertised as "not sealed" is that the style that I am accustomed to that has loose bearings and cones?
Old 09-01-20, 06:18 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
First, a 'sealed' wheelset is meaningless. This must refer to the hubs. Even when applied to hubs, this term is also misleading and misguided. Why?

Because most decent loose ball hubs are very well sealed. Such as mid-range Shimano and above, which features inner and outer rubber seals, separated by an air gap. This excellent design makes it very difficult for stuff to migrate to the inside of the hub.

Most cartridge bearing hubs that I own (many - and I've taken them all apart) are 'sealed' less effectively than my Shimano hubs. A single rubber seal on a cartridge bearing is completely inadequate, and actually serves to draw (wick) water and outside crap into the inside of the bearing. Where it then cannot evaporate out, and then sits for months until it turns the guts into rusty brown goo.

Finally, some completely 'unsealed' hubs are the best wet-weather hubs ever, such as the old Campagnolo Record freewheel hubs. Hub got filled with water after a 100 mile rain ride? Then put your grease injector into the 2 holes, and spritz away. Old grease and water gone.. good as new.
Likes For Dave Mayer: