Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Rim brakes for Team Ineos

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Rim brakes for Team Ineos

Old 09-01-20, 06:35 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
This is really ignorant.

What does 'work' mean? How well?
When set up properly, in dry conditions, rim brakes work well enough for you to lay rubber on the road. Or in wet conditions, to skid out - easily. So better braking isn't required. Discs themselves are heavy, and also require a heavy, less compliant fork. Add to that the glacial wheel changes, and almost complete dimensional incompatibility between manufacturers, it is no wonder that neither the racers or mechanics wanted them. But, pro racing exists to sell stuff to dentists with gold cards, and they want to be sold on the new kewl stuff.

I suppose if you mounted your UCI-level team bike with racks and 30 pounds of camping gear, and went touring in the rain with arthritic hands, you'd need discs....
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 09-02-20, 12:21 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
When set up properly, in dry conditions, rim brakes work well enough for you to lay rubber on the road. Or in wet conditions, to skid out - easily. So better braking isn't required.
Unless the wheels have an alloy brake track, I don't know of any rim brake/carbon rim that provides strong braking when soaking wet.

Discs themselves are heavy, and also require a heavy, less compliant fork.
Irrelevant. Plenty of disc brake bikes can make the UCI weight minimum, and any further weight savings would be illegal under the rules.

Add to that the glacial wheel changes,
a fair point

But, pro racing exists to sell stuff to dentists with gold cards, and they want to be sold on the new kewl stuff..
A fair fraction of the BF community, on reading this, would recognize the insult. Lots of people, neither dentists nor possessors of gold cards, have their own reasons for preferring disc brakes on their road bikes. If your particular brand of snobbery looks down on their choices, that just makes you a jerk.

I suppose if you mounted your UCI-level team bike with racks and 30 pounds of camping gear, and went touring in the rain with arthritic hands, you'd need discs....
Nobody is forcing you to buy a disc road bike, yet. But if I found myself on a group ride with you, I'd ease off, make a turn, and ride solo.
Old 09-02-20, 01:21 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I don't know where the ignorant comment comes from. Pros use what they are given.
The braking is fine with either and no TDF pro needs the 28mm+ tires you can use with a disc. They are still winning on 23-25mm tires.
The need to swap parts among GC teams is obvious.
The car is not always there and having 7 teammates that can give you their wheels (quickly) vs 1-2 that are setup your size to give you a bike should also be obvious.

Then there is less rotating weight, less fork weight and less cable/fluid weight. So even at equal mass the climbers would sometimes prefer to add lead to the frame than mass on the wheel, fork and cockpit (brake fluid reservoirs).

I have some 7-10 disc braked wheels and some 15-20 rim braked ones. Some of the disc brakes are not as good as some of the carbon rim brakes and visa versa.
You didn't answer any of my questions.

Rotating weight is a complete myth.
Old 09-02-20, 01:23 AM
ZHVelo

When set up properly, in dry conditions, rim brakes work well enough for you to lay rubber on the road. Or in wet conditions, to skid out - easily. So better braking isn't required. Discs themselves are heavy, and also require a heavy, less compliant fork. Add to that the glacial wheel changes, and almost complete dimensional incompatibility between manufacturers, it is no wonder that neither the racers or mechanics wanted them. But, pro racing exists to sell stuff to dentists with gold cards, and they want to be sold on the new kewl stuff.

"Well enough" is a judgemental statement. In the wet and long descends I would rather have disc brakes. Your only point is the effort of wheel changes. That's it. But that has little to do with "worked for 100 years".
Old 09-02-20, 08:17 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
You didn't answer any of my questions.

Rotating weight is a complete myth.
Your questions were not directed to me and rhetorical - I thought. But in case not.
General statement is rim brakes and disc brakes do function differently, as do brand and pad and rims etc. The rider will brake accordingly.

What does 'work' mean?
Equal ability to win the race using them.

How well?
Enough to win the race.

How well compared to alternatives?
As likely to win the races they are used in. More likely to get a GC win because of portability options between bikes and teammates.

Have they worked on carbon rims for 100 years?
No, carbon rims have been out for about a generation.

Were they working in the same environment (i.e. did they do the same courses, the same speeds) as now?

In many cases yes. This is too hard to tell. Speeds have been pretty close, but do vary due to rider, equipment and road surface.

On the wheel mass, no point is debating that one.
Likes For Doge:
Old 09-02-20, 08:37 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Then there is less rotating weight, less fork weight and less cable/fluid weight. So even at equal mass the climbers would sometimes prefer to add lead to the frame than mass on the wheel, fork and cockpit (brake fluid reservoirs).
I didn't notice this thing about "rotating weight" until ZHVelo pointed it out.

If you think that the disc rotor adds significantly to the "rotating weight" of a bicycle wheel, you would benefit from learning some rudimentary physics, with an emphasis on the concept of moment of inertia. Simply put, because the disc is close to the axis of rotation, it contributes negligibly to the angular momentum of the wheel.
Old 09-02-20, 08:43 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Then there is less rotating weight ...
A 100g disc rotor has approximately the same moment of inertia as a 3g weight located at the rim, which is pretty insignificant. (3g is roughly twice the weight of the little stem nut that comes on an inner tube.)
Old 09-02-20, 10:54 AM
ZHVelo

Your questions were not directed to me and rhetorical - I thought. But in case not.
General statement is rim brakes and disc brakes do function differently, as do brand and pad and rims etc. The rider will brake accordingly.

What does 'work' mean?
Equal ability to win the race using them.

How well?
Enough to win the race.

How well compared to alternatives?
As likely to win the races they are used in. More likely to get a GC win because of portability options between bikes and teammates.

Have they worked on carbon rims for 100 years?
No, carbon rims have been out for about a generation.

Were they working in the same environment (i.e. did they do the same courses, the same speeds) as now?

In many cases yes. This is too hard to tell. Speeds have been pretty close, but do vary due to rider, equipment and road surface.

On the wheel mass, no point is debating that one.
No, but you decided to reply to my post, with a specific focus. Either reply as a whole, which you now did, or don't at all, but don't take one part and go on a tangent.
Old 09-02-20, 12:12 PM
MinnMan

No, but you decided to reply to my post, with a specific focus. Either reply as a whole, which you now did, or don't at all, but don't take one part and go on a tangent.
I think that taking one part of a post and going on a tangent is entirely fair game here.
Old 09-02-20, 05:08 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A 100g disc rotor has approximately the same moment of inertia as a 3g weight located at the rim, which is pretty insignificant. (3g is roughly twice the weight of the little stem nut that comes on an inner tube.)
Dura-ace 140mm disc center of mass is about 55mm out from fulcrum. Rim ~350mm out. 55/350 X 100g (disc) = ~16g
Then the hub is different adding mass, and mostly steel bolts are supplied. So the mass increase is closer to 200g although mostly at the hub.
Some like building more crosses for the disc torque (adding rotating mass and aero resistance), or more tighter spokes, maybe stressing the rim, or causing a compression fracture.
There are fewer of these issues with light rim braked wheels (like have been used in TdF hill climbs).

Compare this UCI legal 1370g ready to ride (tires, glue, skewers, cassette) wheelset (bare f/r 780g), to a UCI legal disc setup with discs and bolts and spokes.
I'd be surprised adding it all up if it was not 5%-10% heavier. That matters to climbers, and add to that interchangeability ease and you can understand why similar setups are being used on the hill climbs by GC teams.

Last edited by Doge; 09-02-20 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 05:35 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by MinnMan
If you think that the disc rotor adds significantly to the "rotating weight" of a bicycle wheel, you would benefit from learning some rudimentary physics, with an emphasis on the concept of moment of inertia. Simply put, because the disc is close to the axis of rotation, it contributes negligibly to the angular momentum of the wheel.
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
It is the whole system. The disc, the hub, the steel bolts, the different lacing many builders want. I posted my light climbers above.

Here is a tubular disc. It is MUCH heavier (single wheel 1,710) than the set above due to some things besides being disc braked. And all that spoke tension to deal with those hub braking forces are crushing that fragile rim.

Old 09-02-20, 05:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Dura-ace 140mm disc center of mass is about 55mm out from fulcrum. Rim ~350mm out. 55/350 X 100g (disc) = ~16g
The moment of inertia depends on the radius squared. For a solid disc, I = 1/4 * m *r^2. For a weight at the rim, I = 1/2 * m * r^2. If you approximate the disc rotor as a solid disc, the equivalent mass at the rim is 2g for the system you described.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-02-20, 08:25 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The moment of inertia depends on the radius squared. For a solid disc, I = 1/4 * m *r^2. For a weight at the rim, I = 1/2 * m * r^2. If you approximate the disc rotor as a solid disc, the equivalent mass at the rim is 2g for the system you described.
+1.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." N. dG T

Or to put it another way, these relationships are verifiable empirically. They are not a matter of opinion.
Old 09-07-20, 07:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
One thing is apparent to me after reading this thread and all the other disc threads that pop up on this forum. Some folks have some emotional capital invested in one brake or the other.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-08-20, 09:47 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
... But if I found myself on a group ride with you, I'd ease off, make a turn, and ride solo.
Ha, what? Seriously?
Old 01-26-22, 02:34 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Trek and Pinarello have wisened up. Trek now offers its Madone in rim version. Pinarello now offers its Dogma F in rim version.