Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Subtle signs you are going flat

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-20, 11:41 AM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts

I had a scary experience yesterday. I bombed down a hill with a sharp turn at the end. When making the turn, I (unbeknownst to me) had a partial flat on myfront, and I rode the rim during the turn. Thankfully the bike righted.

But this has led me to wonder how I could have detected this problem in advance. Part of the problem is that the road down is pretty crappy, so I am always sensations that, on a smooth road, would alert me that there was a problem.

I imagine part of the answer is just the more you ride, the more you can differentiate normal from abnormal sensations. But I am wondering if anyone has other tips?
Old 09-03-20, 11:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Front flats are less common, I can't remember the last time I had one, but with a slowly leaking rear puncture, more bounce when pedaling is often the first thing that I'll notice.
Old 09-03-20, 12:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Less shock going over cracks and such. If it seems smoother than you expect, look down.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-03-20, 12:21 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Less shock going over cracks and such. If it seems smoother than you expect, look down.
+1 for this answer. I'm not sure the best way to explain it, but whenever I've had a slow-leaking front flat the bike felt "soggier" at the handlebars. If I had a rear flat in the same way, I noticed it because it would start to feel like I was pedaling through sand. As OP suggested, the more you ride the same bike, the more obvious subtle changes will become while riding.
Old 09-03-20, 12:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
+1 for this answer. I'm not sure the best way to explain it, but whenever I've had a slow-leaking front flat the bike felt "soggier" at the handlebars. If I had a rear flat in the same way, I noticed it because it would start to feel like I was pedaling through sand. As OP suggested, the more you ride the same bike, the more obvious subtle changes will become while riding.
Every time I've felt like I was pedaling through sand, it was just me. I keep hoping it's the bike, but it never is.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-03-20, 12:31 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
As mentioned, front flats are rarer. And, they're easier to feel - any significant drop in pressure will show up in how the bike handles/turns. You can absolutely feel the rear too - it's just not as subtle.

Being cognizant of what the tires feel like when at the desired psi helps you notice/determine when they're not. Lots of riders never intentionally feel the tires - squeezing with your fingers, or noticing how the tires feel hitting small bumps - until they suspect a leak/flat. I wish I had a buck for every time a club mate has (at a red light) either squeezed my tire after his own to compare, or worse, asked me to feel his tire.

Also, look down at the tires when you're riding at the right psi. That way, when you're thinking you're loosing pressure - and look at the tire - you won't wonder "hmmm... is that much bulge normal?"

Sometimes, if I think a tire might be losing pressure, I'll lift the (rear... it's always the rear) tire a couple inches and feel how it lands. Just a subtle little bump. Don't even have to slow down. But again, you have to know the baseline - what it feels like at the right pressure.
Old 09-03-20, 03:54 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Have had two fronts in the past two weeks. Only after feeling some weirdness in my turns (more understeer/push feel) did I notice I had flats. And these were on two different bikes and two different surfaces, paved and gravel.
Old 09-03-20, 05:15 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
The last front flat I had I noticed while standing and pedaling. With weight a little more forward, you really feel the softness of the low pressure tire.
Old 09-05-20, 12:12 AM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Had a slow leak in a rear tire a few days ago. Noticed in on a turn at moderate speed the rear wheel slid out on the turn. Started to pay attention to the rear tire and realized tire was fairly low. Used the CO2 to top it off and made the 4 mile ride home.
Old 09-05-20, 12:31 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
I had a scary experience yesterday. I bombed down a hill with a sharp turn at the end. When making the turn, I (unbeknownst to me) had a partial flat on myfront, and I rode the rim during the turn. Thankfully the bike righted.

But this has led me to wonder how I could have detected this problem in advance. Part of the problem is that the road down is pretty crappy, so I am always sensations that, on a smooth road, would alert me that there was a problem.

I imagine part of the answer is just the more you ride, the more you can differentiate normal from abnormal sensations. But I am wondering if anyone has other tips?
Well there are wireless pressure gauges that can be installed on the valve or in the rim, but a safer bet is to not get a flat in the first place. > Ride a tyre that is less susceptible to flats.
Old 09-05-20, 02:13 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
As mentioned by others; when it seems like you suddenly have "suspension" with every pedal stroke, pull over and investigate thoroughly.

That said, if you're riding with RobbieTunes, that means he's got a flat, not you
Old 09-05-20, 09:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Sure you can detect it earlier- it's a feeling and check the tire when you get that feeling.

My last flat was a year ago. Front tire went flat wheel I climbed a hill. I was 80% of the way up and the climbing suddenly because super tough. Quickly saw it was the front tire. I was only going like 10mph, so it was a shock that I didn't see whatever punctured my tire.
Old 09-05-20, 01:01 PM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks all. This was helpful. I was looking for the extra jolts of a totally flat tire, not the softness of one losing pressure.

As to tires, I have gp 4000s. I hadn't gotten a flat on the front in a long time. Then I got them two days in a row!
Old 09-07-20, 05:23 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Less shock and that bouncy feeling is what I notice.

I better not get a flat today for commenting.
Old 09-07-20, 06:48 AM
CycleLoss

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genejockey
facts!