Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Study Says High Cadence of Little Value to Amateurs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Study Says High Cadence of Little Value to Amateurs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 08:27 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
I'm happiest between 80 and 90 rpm. Once I get above 90 I'm looking for the next gear.
Old 09-27-20, 08:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
There have been studies done before that show the same results. So, it’s not really news.

It’s well-known that high cadence is not more efficient.

=========================

What is a “recreational” cyclist?

They are talking about cadences higher than 90 RPM, which is, itself, a high cadence.

Novice/casual cyclists often have cadences 60 RPM or lower.

It’s probably hard to do 90 RPM competently without being able to use somewhat higher cadences.

The article implies that there’s a benefit to “professional” cyclists. What’s that benefit? How are all “recreational” cyclists kept from having the same benefit?

======================

Different people are going to prefer different cadences. It’s still useful to be able to use high competently. So, it’s something that might be useful for non-casual riders to learn how to do.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-27-20, 08:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Cycling is a poor form of exercise anyway.
Old 09-27-20, 08:55 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Did you read the abstract? Heart rate goes up, metabolic efficiency decreases slightly, power exerted on the pedals decreases more.

Of course, the Nobel winning scientists around here will argue this.
The power was controlled for all nine subjects based on their fitness and they put out roughly the same power at each of the tested cadences and this was normalized in the study based on their overall fitness. i.e. the power from each of the subjects was not the same. Even though power was controlled for all the subjects the proxy used to measure how efficiently their muscles worked declined at higher cadence. That's my take away from the abstract. That force exerted on the pedals deceases at high cadence isn't new or very even relevant here as we can determine the pedal force from something like: F = k*P/L*C (P = power. L = crank length, C=cadence, k=some normalization constant I'm too tired to figure out) so higher cadence produces less pedal force, less power per pedal revolution, for all other things being equal.

Interestingly, even though the full text is not uploaded to researchgate.net for this paper some earlier studies, which there is full text uploaded, from some of the same authors of this paper didn't find much relation between cadence and this metric. More interesting to me is "Effect of pedaling cadence on muscle oxygenation during high-intensity cycling until exhaustion: a comparison between untrained subjects and triathletes" Houssem Zorgati et al 2015 from the references. Which found that higher aerobic fitness allows better efficiency at higher cadence compared to the untrained group.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-27-20, 08:57 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The question I always have when they do these cadence studies is how used to riding at high cadences were the subjects? I mean, when I first started trying to spin >90, I found it really difficult. I wasn't smooth, I bounced a lot, and it took concentration to keep my cadence high. Now, years later, I'm most comfortable between 95 and 105, and sometimes it feels like I can put down more power at 105 than in the next higher gear at 95. Climbing, though, I'm most comfortable at around 85.

Here's a link to the abstract of the actual article, which doesn't really find what the headline and lede would suggest.
Bingo. And beyond being used to higher cadence, what are the training adaptions that are specific to particular cadences? When you've only trained at lower cadences, do you work more efficiently at lower cadences? It seems plausible to me.

Especially since the current (scientific) thought is that cyclists are most efficient at their self-selected cadence.
Old 09-27-20, 09:05 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Especially if done on a steel framed bike. You know all that frame flex means too much wasted effort.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-27-20, 09:08 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
This discussion reminds me of the pearl of wisdom I was told once: "You woundn't sweat so much when you ride if you'd just stop drinking all that water!"
That is funny, yes sir.

I bought my gf a new Garmin Explore and a cadence sensor that pairs with it. She's become a stronger rider since then, or so it seems. I don't know what cadence she pedals, but she mentioned that she frequently pedals to maintain a constant cadence without down shifting (which, of course, maintains a constant speed).

She suggests that if I use cadence as a metric, I will get stronger. But I have never been a "masher" of high gears; I have always been a "spinner" and shifted to maintain a light pedal pressure, varying cadence as seems good to both maintain momentum and muscle strength endurance. I seldom pause from pedaling on our 3+ hour ride.
She sometimes pulls ahead of me on the last third of our 40-50+ mile rides, and sometimes I catch her.

I can't help thinking that her legs (normal for women) are built differently than mine, which are basically those of a skinny teenager. Her legs are built for delivery of power and she typically pedals a bit slower than I do. Somehow, though, on a recent bike riding week in the mountains, I always got to the top well ahead of her, and our gearing was close to the same.
Old 09-27-20, 09:20 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The power was controlled for all nine subjects based on their fitness and they put out roughly the same power at each of the tested cadences and this was normalized in the study based on their overall fitness. i.e. the power from each of the subjects was not the same. Even though power was controlled for all the subjects the proxy used to measure how efficiently their muscles worked declined at higher cadence. That's my take away from the abstract. That force exerted on the pedals deceases at high cadence isn't new or very even relevant here as we can determine the pedal force from something like: F = k*P/L*C (P = power. L = crank length, C=cadence, k=some normalization constant I'm too tired to figure out) so higher cadence produces less pedal force, less power per pedal revolution, for all other things being equal.

Interestingly, even though the full text is not uploaded to researchgate.net for this paper some earlier studies, which there is full text uploaded, from some of the same authors of this paper didn't find much relation between cadence and this metric. More interesting to me is "Effect of pedaling cadence on muscle oxygenation during high-intensity cycling until exhaustion: a comparison between untrained subjects and triathletes" Houssem Zorgati et al 2015 from the references. Which found that higher aerobic fitness allows better efficiency at higher cadence compared to the untrained group.
Thanks billridesbikes ! Exactly - the interesting part was about muscle oxygenation.

My personal approach to cadence is complicated - there is a 'sweet spot' for me in terms of exerting pressure on pedals vs. momentum of pedaling, and I have guessed this is about overall fitness (aerobic, anaerobic capacity, muscle power, etc.). I try to balance them to avoid discomfort, or conversely embrace discomfort to increase speed.

My read of the abstract was that increased cadence will improve fitness related to increased heartrate, but not leg muscles.

Meanwhile, those who can make an actual intellectual argument as to why this study is scientifically not valid would be most welcome. Saying "because" without actual scientific support is not sufficient.
Old 09-27-20, 09:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Did you read the abstract? Heart rate goes up, metabolic efficiency decreases slightly, power exerted on the pedals decreases more.

Of course, the Nobel winning scientists around here will argue this.
1. Small N.
2. Overly broad selection criteria for subjects requiring much narrower conclusions.
3. Nothing about the subjects preferred cadence, whether they were practiced at spinning higher cadence, etc.

A poorly defined set of subjects, not controlled for level of experience, or even whether they were practiced at spinning a high cadence. This makes the conclusions limited, like maybe you could say that beginning cyclists will not do better ON THIS RIDE by spinning at a higher cadence than they are comfortable with. But the design of the study doesn't support the conclusion that "high cadence is of little value to amateurs".

A proper study to determine that would require a larger number of subjects with defined levels of experience and preferred cadence, because if higher cadence is not efficient for beginners but is efficient for elite athletes, then there may be a point in athletic development where it goes from net negative to net positive. See where I'm going with this?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-27-20, 10:05 AM
UnderDawgAl
Overweight & Out of Shape

Bikes: '94 Giant Sedona ATX mtb, since new; '12 Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I only pedal at a cadence of 92.37 rpm.
Old 09-27-20, 10:11 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
LMAO, great cross-thread call out.
Old 09-27-20, 10:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Is this Recycled Argument Thread Week?
What kind of chain lube do people who don't wave use?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-27-20, 10:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
These type of studies are irrelevant and only have one purpose, to give cyclists on internet forums something to debate and argue about...Just go out and enjoy riding your bike and forget about studies.
I'm going to give away one of my secrets, and I hope it doesn't turn me into a pariah: I don't care what my cadence is. I pedal at a speed I feel comfortable with, enough to get me from point A to point B on the bike. If it gets too hard to pedal, I shift down, and if my feet are spinning too fast then I shift up.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-27-20, 11:15 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Lon Haldeman won RAAM on a bike with a 3-speed freewheel and one chainring. From Santa Monica to New York in 9 days, 20 hours, and 2 minutes. If memory serves, his bike was geared 42 x 13-14-15.
Assuming that the shot 50 seconds into this video is real...

...he has a 2x crankset (likely 52-42 or thereabouts) and his big cog is clearly far bigger than 15T. The big cog looks to be around 1/7th the diameter of the wheel, which would put it in the 23T-24T neighborhood. In 1982 this would be fairly ordinary gearing for a strong racer who's going to be tackling mountains.

And I'm sure that his gearing should be taken as optimal practice regardless, since it was very early in the history of that race and nobody had any real idea of what they were doing yet. The only time that anybody has won RAAM at a slower pace than 1982 Lon Haldeman was 1983 Lon Haldeman.

Last edited by HTupolev; 09-27-20 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-27-20, 11:38 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I like Jan way to much for high cadence cycling
Old 09-27-20, 11:51 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
don't just think about power and muscles, consider the knee and hip joints.
Old 09-27-20, 12:08 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Agree with everyone who said efficiency isn't the point. Nobody cares how many miles per banana you get. It's more about not getting tired as soon.

The other thing it's easy to overlook is that pros aren't really "spinning" the way we are. They're smashing the pedals only also doing it really fast. Grinding and spinning at the same time.
Old 09-27-20, 12:15 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I think you have to look at not just cadence but wattage. When out with very slow riders I have to lower my cadence to around 70 or less (or handicap myself with a less efficient bike). High cadence at low power just feels weird. To me it feels like you need a certain level of pedal resistance to help maintain your form. Kind of like when you are coasting to a red light so you downshift anticipating a complete stop, but then it goes green but you are in so low a gear that when you start pedaling again you can't turn the pedals fast enough to overcome the freewheeling.

So for some riders then never go fast high cadence makes no sense other than for hill climbing where you have a continuous pedal load thanks to gravity.
Likes For gecho:
Old 09-27-20, 12:45 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Assuming that the shot 50 seconds into this video is real...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQnSKOoz7IY

...he has a 2x crankset (likely 52-42 or thereabouts) and his big cog is clearly far bigger than 15T. The big cog looks to be around 1/7th the diameter of the wheel, which would put it in the 23T-24T neighborhood. In 1982 this would be fairly ordinary gearing for a strong racer who's going to be tackling mountains.

And I'm sure that his gearing should be taken as optimal practice regardless, since it was very early in the history of that race and nobody had any real idea of what they were doing yet. The only time that anybody has won RAAM at a slower pace than 1982 Lon Haldeman was 1983 Lon Haldeman.
It's quite possible that I've got the year wrong. I'll have to look up the article he talked about it in. But he did it, he had reasons to do it, and it worked, so the larger point, I think, stands, that there is no "best" cadence.

--Shannon
Old 09-27-20, 12:59 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
What kind of chain lube do people who don't wave use?
People don’t wave because they are afraid of being catapaulted by disc brakes.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-27-20, 01:02 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Optimal cadences, like drop bars, are an illusion for most.

Otto
Old 09-27-20, 01:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
don't just think about power and muscles, consider the knee and hip joints.
We had a long thread on this once, and I did a literature search and found absolutely no medical evidence that one or the other approach was better on the joints. Trainers make the claims all the time, often in print, but I don't consider them reliable sources of medical information and they never cite any.
Old 09-27-20, 01:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by gecho
I think you have to look at not just cadence but wattage. When out with very slow riders I have to lower my cadence to around 70 or less (or handicap myself with a less efficient bike). High cadence at low power just feels weird. To me it feels like you need a certain level of pedal resistance to help maintain your form. Kind of like when you are coasting to a red light so you downshift anticipating a complete stop, but then it goes green but you are in so low a gear that when you start pedaling again you can't turn the pedals fast enough to overcome the freewheeling.

So for some riders then never go fast high cadence makes no sense other than for hill climbing where you have a continuous pedal load thanks to gravity.
If you look at a gear calculator, you'll see that if you're using a 53x11 combo, you can go quite fast at a relatively low cadence. I do this a lot for well over 100 miles on my very long rides. Needless to say, I'm finding the "efficiency isn't endurance" posts pretty damn funny.

BTW, I'm not going to tell anyone else to use my gearing choices, I just know from trial and error what generally works best for me.
Old 09-27-20, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm going to give away one of my secrets, and I hope it doesn't turn me into a pariah: I don't care what my cadence is. I pedal at a speed I feel comfortable with, enough to get me from point A to point B on the bike. If it gets too hard to pedal, I shift down, and if my feet are spinning too fast then I shift up.
I deliberately don't monitor my cadence. It's a number I don't care about and don't want to start.

I remember a couple years back, there was one of these cadence threads, and I forgot who it was, but he "proved" mathematically that the gear was the dependant variable when you choose your cadence and desired speed with an equation. He couldn't seem to wrap his head around that someone could choose their speed and preferred gear and adjust the cadence (which I think is a good description of what you and I are doing). All I did was invert his equation. He kept trying to invert it back like that proved anything

Some of this is just personal preference. If I spent my rides trying to stick to some particular cadence, I would get bored silly. I like playing with the bike, sometimes varying stuff up just for the sake of variety.
Old 09-27-20, 01:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ofajen
Optimal cadences, like drop bars, are an illusion for most.

Otto

Drop bars are at least tangible objects that actually exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.