Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
[QUOTE=VernMoto;21731293]
Originally Posted by indyfabz
A few years ago, during one of my tours out west, I stopped on a 27 mile stretch of unpaved road. I could hear no man made sounds. Not even airplanes. Only the sound of birds and insects and the grasses rustling in the breeze. It was magical. I sat in silence in the dirt for 30 min. taking it all in.

That is my kind of ride.
I was fortunate to have a short day that day, so I had time to sit and enjoy it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-06-20, 04:26 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Here's the deal with the headphones, it presupposes that you will maintain your line perfectly predictably. The other person should still announce and make a safe pass. Safe meaning with ample space, not in a corner, not on a blind, not with oncoming. However, the headphone person is assuming they won't encounter an obstacle. If they encounter a pine cone or piece of gravel, they might not have heard the announcement and swerve wide into the passer.

Whereas without headphones, the person being passed would know to brake hard instead of swerving hard.

But, you still have to announce. I give the bell a ring, then say "passing!". Double tap the bell like the German "flash to pass" courtesy beam settings on a car.
Swerve or brake for a pine cone or piece of gravel? Good grief!
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-06-20, 04:43 PM
indyfabz

“We’re not going to make it, are we? People, I mean.”—John Connor
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-06-20, 04:58 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
“We’re not going to make it, are we? People, I mean.”—John Connor
Is that a reference to the state of politics in this country?
Old 10-06-20, 05:48 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GlennR
Is that a reference to the state of politics in this country?
No. It’s a reference to the state of humanity. Do you remember how the Terminator responds?
Old 10-06-20, 06:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Do you remember how the Terminator responds?
"I am your father" ?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-06-20, 08:54 PM
indyfabz

"I am your father" ?
“It’s in your nature to destroy yourselves.”
Old 10-07-20, 08:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by VernMoto
I find that saying "on your left" makes people turn to their left and run right into you. I usually yell out "Passing" and that seems to be more universal.

I ride a very wide trail that is "almost" exclusively for bikers, but there are some parts where people can walk along the paved trail. Sometimes people are in groups and walking side by side with their friends. They do not leave an inch for you to pass, and when you say "on your left" they ignore me. I found that in some cases it was because they did not speak english. In others cases they just do not care and you have to slow way down and wait for them to "fee like it" before they finally let you by. My bell is loud, so I know they hear it, and they here me. I say "PASSING!" in a strong no-nonsense powerful vocalization (not mean or angry) to be the most effective.
I say "passing on your left" , I get almost universal understanding of what I'm doing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-08-20, 08:36 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's a sound that goes with cycling, so, no. Unless you intentionally sneak up on people and then buzz it from 1 foot off their wheel....
Ah, so non-human cycling sounds are OK, but human sounds are not. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

And for all you nature lovers (me included)... how do you think the wildlife around you enjoys your bicycle noises? My guess is that wildlife prefers my music over the sound of my 54-tooth star ratchet. Humans are such odd animals. Have a nice day.
Old 10-08-20, 12:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
Ah, so non-human cycling sounds are OK, but human sounds are not. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

And for all you nature lovers (me included)... how do you think the wildlife around you enjoys your bicycle noises? My guess is that wildlife prefers my music over the sound of my 54-tooth star ratchet. Humans are such odd animals. Have a nice day.
Pretty sure humans made freewheels, dude. They aren't grown on trees, you know.

You have options for listening to music that don't inflict that music on others, so your desire to listen to music isn't being impacted. Just your desire for others to listen to it as well.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-08-20, 12:41 PM
2wheelwreck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I am your father" ?
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves."

But then it's in the nature of ALL life to destroy itself
Old 10-08-20, 01:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 2wheelwreck

A. I already gave the answer.

B. Uncorrect
Old 10-08-20, 01:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by 2wheelwreck

Congrats on your 10th post.

BTW... i was being sarcastic or a dick... or both
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-08-20, 01:30 PM
2wheelwreck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A. I already gave the answer.

B. Uncorrect
AA. sry I missed it. butt then I miss alot these days
BB. you can go right ahead and believe that...
Old 10-08-20, 01:31 PM
2wheelwreck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your 10th post.

BTW... i was being sarcastic or a dick... or both
Thanks. This forum is entertaining.
And I have a silicone back
Old 10-09-20, 08:34 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I say "passing on your left" , I get almost universal understanding of what I'm doing.
Likewise here. I ride a lot on trails where, by rule, cyclists must “sound signal and slow while passing”. Bell or voice, make your choice.

The vast majority of cyclists and pedestrians know the routine and very much appreciate a signal, preferably as far in advance as can be heard, so I start ringing the bell at a distance and the regulars signal confirmation as soon as they have heard it. No surprises there.

The dangerous situation is those pedestrians using earbuds (or worse, over-the-ear headphones) who can’t hear either the bell or my voice (until maybe the very last second). In that case, I signal but I slow and pass them assuming they don’t know I’m there. It’s no big deal, just another chance to stand up and accelerate back to speed.

On the topic of self-noise, like external speakers, it’s not my thing, but I really haven’t notice that creating that many issues around here. Not many people do it. But it does mean the bell won’t be enough and I have to yell to get people’s attention.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-09-20 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 08:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ofajen
Likewise here. I ride a lot on trails where, by rule, cyclists must “sound signal and slow while passing”. Bell or voice, make your choice.

The vast majority of cyclists and pedestrians know the routine and very much appreciate a signal, preferably as far in advance as can be heard, so I start ringing the bell at a distance and the regulars signal confirmation as soon as they have heard it. No surprises there.

The dangerous situation is those pedestrians using earbuds (or worse, over-the-ear headphones) who can’t hear either the bell or my voice (until maybe the very last second). In that case, I signal but I slow and pass them assuming they don’t know I’m there. It’s no big deal, just another chance to stand up and accelerate back to speed.

On the topic of self-noise, like external speakers, it’s not my thing, but I really haven’t notice that creating that many issues around here. Not many people do it. But it does mean the bell won’t be enough and I have to yell to get people’s attention.

Otto

I do think "on your left" is confusing as it lacks a verb, worse still is just yelling "left".

Pedestrians seem to like "passing on your left". It's short and clear. I have often been thanked for saying it.

I don't care about external speakers and find the whole argument against them silly. I may have encountered someone on a bike with loud enough speakers to be heard from outside their immediate area once or twice in the past few decades, but it's nothing like the oppressive volumes I hear coming off of motorcycles and cars on a regular basis. Also, this isn't the boom box era where pedestrians regularly walked around with speakers you could hear blocks away. I hated that. it often made waiting for a bus absolute torture.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-09-20, 09:03 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Pedestrians seem to like "passing on your left". It's short and clear. I have often been thanked for saying it.
Agreed. If I don’t have confirmation that the bell was heard, I say “Bike passing on your left”, to be clear. If there are additional bikes about to pass, I’ll say “(X number of) bikes passing on your left”.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-09-20, 09:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ofajen
Agreed. If I don’t have confirmation that the bell was heard, I say “Bike passing on your left”, to be clear. If there are additional bikes about to pass, I’ll say “X number of bikes passing on your left”.

Otto
Good on ya! I'd be afraid of messing up the count. I'm sort of kidding.

I do think my strategy is based on having a relatively loud voice so I can get the full sentence out audibly before passing.
Old 10-09-20, 05:27 PM
Cacti

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
As a brand new rider, I've been thinking about this. There's a mountain trail I'm sure I'll want to try, but am afraid what happens if I'm going too slow on a narrow downhill trail. It feels like I'm the one being rude blocking more experienced riders from their thrill for speed

Should newbies just stay off the steeper mountain trails? Will experienced riders have patience with timid riders? I think as an experienced rider, I'd be a little put off having to blow my speed rush in the middle of my favorite downhill part waiting on a newbie
Old 10-09-20, 05:34 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacti
As a brand new rider, I've been thinking about this. There's a mountain trail I'm sure I'll want to try, but am afraid what happens if I'm going too slow on a narrow downhill trail. It feels like I'm the one being rude blocking more experienced riders from their thrill for speed

Should newbies just stay off the steeper mountain trails? Will experienced riders have patience with timid riders? I think as an experienced rider, I'd be a little put off having to blow my speed rush in the middle of my favorite downhill part waiting on a newbie

While I would share your reticence, if everyone thought that way, there would be no "experienced riders". I say you do you and work with the situation that comes and things will almost always work themselves out. Accidents will happen at times between experienced riders as well. Just watch any cycling race among professionals for proof.
Old 10-09-20, 05:48 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Unfortunately, about half are below average.
That's my mantra on the drivers I see, helps keep me from getting F'ING ANGRY. Sorta.
Supposedly some US president, learning half the population had an IQ below 100, was alarmed and thought something should be done.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-11-20, 04:14 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
I don't get passed by other cyclists too often, but the past few times it's happened the person passing me has given no verbal warning (i.e. "on your left"), no ring of the bell (if they had one), and when they passed they were about a foot away from me. Extremely rude in my opinion, and to top it off they couldn't even stay in front of me after they passed.

What's up with the lack of etiquette from other cyclists? Do they just not know any better? Do they think that I'm "less" of a cyclist because they're on a road bike with drop bars and I'm not, therefore etiquette does not matter?

When passing any cyclist these are three basic rules that I follow:

1. Ring my bell or provide a verbal warning (i.e. "on your left") as I approach.
2. When I pass the other rider I try to give them 3ft. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, so if I'm not constrained by traffic there's no reason to "crowd" another rider.
3. If I pass another rider I make sure to stay out front and keep on going.

I'm not sure why other humans on bikes don't show similar consideration, but many don't. Is anyone else experiencing a similar dynamic? Does anyone think I'm expecting too much in the way of etiquette from my fellow cyclists?
before the pandemic I definitely would holler more than three muffled syllables, typically “cooomiiing up oooon your left!”

We’re dealing with an airborne virus that stays airborne for a while. Talking to strangers is discouraged, shouting at them is just a no-no, even if it is from behind.

I now take a deep breath, hold it, and sprint out near the yellow line and give a friendly hand wave just as I have the other rider at about 4:00-5:00 to me. That’s seldom more than five feet distance, but it’s something.
Old 10-13-20, 07:28 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I was riding just yesterday, had a rider get right up on me and then say on your left; about made me jump out of my skin. He was on an e-bike which I am seeing a parabolic increase in number on the road. I don't ride MUPs but some of the residential mountain roads I ride are used by walkers in a similar way to MUPs and the roads are not that much wider. I ride these residential roads only going uphill, so going slow and usually announce biker back from a good distance, most often to people walking dogs. I personally like bells; don't have one but plan on giving one a try. When I was near the top of the mountain yesterday, I got passed by another e-bike and the rider apologized for cheating (his words not mine). I wonder how many issues there are going to be with inexperience riders on e-bikes especially on MUPs; hopefully this doesn't end up causing much more animosity towards cyclists, too much as it is; chalk that up to worrying about things I have no control over.

Last edited by DeceptivelySlow; 10-13-20 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-13-20, 07:42 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
This thread. Grumpy old men that disagree with others that do not think and do exactly like them. Framed under the guise of mentor, safety, and well being. All that is missing here is the use of blinky lights on a MUP!
Likes For u235:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.