Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Old 10-07-20, 06:46 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
On the Hiawatha Trail.
Where is this? I love the scenery. Google tells me Idaho.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-20, 07:09 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
With her gravel shoes on, and after Saturday's race.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 10-07-20, 12:02 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
After looking at new bikes for about a month now, I decided to turn one of my vintage 10 speeds into a gravel bike. Couldnt see spending $1000 on a new bike. So got a qt. of gloss enamel, painted my frame, and put on some Kenda tires. Waiting for the paint to dry so not completely built back up.

This is what a lot of cyclists used back in the day for cyclocross racing. No one would use their road racer off road, and no one had the money to buy a dedicated cyclocross bike. So you found a beater bike boom 10 speed and made do.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 10-07-20, 12:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
^ Perfect for all that North Shore gravel.**

...i guess the Des Plaines trail is crushed stone for much of the way.
Old 10-07-20, 01:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
@big chainring, I did the same. I like yours very much.
1971 Raleigh Super Course with 2x8 indexed drivetrain

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-07-20, 05:36 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
^ Perfect for all that North Shore gravel.**

...i guess the Des Plaines trail is crushed stone for much of the way.
And southern Wisconsin
Old 10-08-20, 02:57 AM
pcons713

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 8 Posts
My converted mid-90s Giant Chaos MTB. Decent frame with double butted tubes including stays and a threadless headset. I used MicroShift / MicroNew 3x7 shifters to match the original Deore LX drivetrain and they work perfectly. All around a great budget gravel build (approx. 130 EUR all in).

Likes For pcons713:
Old 10-08-20, 05:38 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Had this Diverge Elite E5 for a day. Picked it up Monday, returned it on Tuesday. BH in Chelsea said rotor rubbing is normal and will wear in. Nice bike, bad QC. This is what I get for trying to buy my first new bike in 28 years.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-08-20, 08:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by pcons713
My converted mid-90s Giant Chaos MTB. Decent frame with double butted tubes including stays and a threadless headset. I used MicroShift / MicroNew 3x7 shifters to match the original Deore LX drivetrain and they work perfectly. All around a great budget gravel build (approx. 130 EUR all in).

Fantastic color! The light tan skinwall tires work great against the frame color.
Whats most impressive is that this looks like a drop bar bike vs an mtb thats coverted to a drop bar bike. Some 26" mtb conversions end up with really wild bar placements and whatnot due to frame geometry. This looks like it belongs.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-08-20, 08:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Had this Diverge Elite E5 for a day. Picked it up Monday, returned it on Tuesday. BH in Chelsea said rotor rubbing is normal and will wear in. Nice bike, bad QC. This is what I get for trying to buy my first new bike in 28 years.

is the bad QC the rotor rub? If the rotor is not straight, thats an easy fix( i assume the shop checked). If it is straight, then it could just be the brake caliper needs to be aligned(again, I assume the shop checked). Every disc brake bike Ive set up had rotor rub to begin with, and aligning the calipers to the rotor solved the problem. The whole system is meant to be adjustable, just like rim brakes are adjustable.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-08-20, 08:52 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
That is one lazy bike shop. Rotor rub is not normal, and can def be adjusted for. Either the caliper is out of alignment, or the rotor is out of true, or a lil of both. But it's easily fixed.
Old 10-08-20, 10:31 AM
pcons713

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 8 Posts
Fantastic color! The light tan skinwall tires work great against the frame color.
Whats most impressive is that this looks like a drop bar bike vs an mtb thats coverted to a drop bar bike. Some 26" mtb conversions end up with really wild bar placements and whatnot due to frame geometry. This looks like it belongs.
Thanks, I got lucky that the original owner installed a beefy steer tube extender and that heavy overbuilt spacer. I know there can be some concern with using stem extenders but it's rock solid and the solid metal spacer and steel steer-tube gives me a little more peace of mind. With this I could get a good fit and still a 'traditional' stem angle. That super short stem (maybe 40-50mm) compensates for the long top tube and doesn't seem to negatively impact handling either. Rides as good as it looks, but my spouse thinks the camo bar tape proves I have no style 😂
Old 10-08-20, 10:35 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
is the bad QC the rotor rub? If the rotor is not straight, thats an easy fix( i assume the shop checked). If it is straight, then it could just be the brake caliper needs to be aligned(again, I assume the shop checked). Every disc brake bike Ive set up had rotor rub to begin with, and aligning the calipers to the rotor solved the problem. The whole system is meant to be adjustable, just like rim brakes are adjustable.
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
That is one lazy bike shop. Rotor rub is not normal, and can def be adjusted for. Either the caliper is out of alignment, or the rotor is out of true, or a lil of both. But it's easily fixed.
The first day I returned and told them about the rubbing rotor and they did nothing. I am standing on the sidewalk and the rub cannot be heard. The next day I returned and this time the manager came out, asked me if I have ever had disk brakes before. I confirm that I have, for about 16 years now. She then asks, "hydraulic?." "Yes." She then points out the orange stickers on the rotors and removes them from me, tells me that there is no rubbing, and that she will be there the whole day. I live like 6 blocks away, I return to my apartment and noticee that they did NOTHING to my rear caliper. I record the clearly audible rubbing and send it to the manager. At the same time, I call Specialized and they confirm what everyone already knows and recommends a warranty claim. Store manager offered me a refund so I took it.

The thing is, overnight I tried to adjust this. The caliper is crooked, so my guess was that the mount needed to be faced. Or the piston was sticking. Something; anything, except nothing.

I'm not the best mechanic, but I have worked in bike shops off and on over 30 years of cycling. My last stint was a few years ago and as an old school MTBer, I am very familiar with hydraulic disk brakes. I have four bikes with hydraulic brakes that I built and none have ever had rotor rub.

Upon return, the manager said there were three people who wanted that bike so it was not a problem for me to return it.

There were some other issues with the bike, the compression cap was not installed correctly, the few threads I saw (stem bolts and rear axle) were dry. I was told that was how they come, and they don't touch that. Not impressed. They tried to blow off the scuffed bar tape, altogether it was too much for me.

Oh, and they charged my card twice. So I had to call the bank. But it got me thinking. I bought in online and was charged. I got an email saying that they'd rather return that bike to S instead of selling it to me. I was maybe charged a second time because I got a different bike.
Old 10-08-20, 11:40 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Run don't walk away from that place.
Old 10-08-20, 05:57 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts

Recently tried the 27.5x2.2 Conti SpeedKing Racesport, for mild gravel and sand across flatter gradients and sealed roads. Running tubeless in the back with an S-Tubo up front, as these tyres aren't tubeless from what I understand. Very fast for a 650b (faster than the extralight ReneHerse 48mm slick. Plus, I prefer the larger tyre height/rolling diameter, over those).
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 10-09-20, 11:46 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
So I bought this:

so I took this:

and turned it into this--Kona Jake the Snake EVOO!!

so I could have a townie/baby trailer puller/commuter bike. The fit is very short with the flat bars, and I might get a set of wider risers to stretch me out and raise me up a pinch. For now it works. The brakes are awful though, I suspect the road calipers with the mtb levers is the source of the issue. I might just have to get some mtb hydraulics to fix that issue!
Old 10-12-20, 07:14 AM
Caber Guy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

My poor sweet Olive, just before disaster struck...
Likes For Caber Guy:
Old 10-13-20, 01:53 PM
daanbr78

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
cool picture!
Old 10-13-20, 01:53 PM
daanbr78

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
very cool a single speed!
Old 10-13-20, 07:21 PM
Rides4Beer

New wheels.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 10-19-20, 07:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
1982 Gazelle Cyclocross. 38mm tires.

Wow, a lot going on here.

Beautiful traditional diameter tube frame with wrap around stays.
Modern enve rims with canti brakes.
Modern crankset with mtb RD and suntour barcons for shifting

Its such a hodgepodge and really cool.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-19-20, 07:51 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Well, I've never raced 'cross (the closest I got was riding the course pre-race one time while all the actual racers either blew past me or got pissed 'cause I was in the way), but I do have a Cross Check that I adore. It's been singlespeed, drop-bar, flat-bar, 1x11, alt bar--you name it. Currently ss flat-bar which is a ton of fun (excuse my saggy chain pls!).

Last edited by pbass; 10-19-20 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-20-20, 01:57 PM
Wolf Dust
Anywhere I roam

Bikes: Three blind bikes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Surly is the best bike company in the world, and the Cross Check is probably the best bike they make.
Old 10-20-20, 07:12 PM
Wolf Dust
Anywhere I roam

Bikes: Three blind bikes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Caber Guy

My poor sweet Olive, just before disaster struck...
Might I ask what the disaster was?
Old 10-20-20, 08:56 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Wow, a lot going on here.

Beautiful traditional diameter tube frame with wrap around stays.
Modern enve rims with canti brakes.
Modern crankset with mtb RD and suntour barcons for shifting

Its such a hodgepodge and really cool.
Thanks, yeah parts bin bike.
Likes For jan nikolajsen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.