Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 10-09-20, 08:22 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
These may have already been posted but worth a look again, all business and just look fast while standing still!

New meaning to Lo-Pro!
Bertoni is still stalled .
Best, Ben
I thing they were brazed or actually as Cinell = Columbus they folded everything to shape. Odd that as these are really holy grails it seems impossible to find a picture of a full restoration where the paint had been stripped. Everybody tries to keep the original paint obviously and those who dont also dont share it. Anyway theres no such thing as "enough Cinelli Laser" on a TT thread...

Last edited by Lattz; 10-09-20 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 09:26 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
I thing they were brazed or actually as Cinell = Columbus they folded everything to shape. Odd that as these are really holy grails it seems impossible to find a picture of a full restoration where the paint had been stripped. Everybody tries to keep the original paint obviously and those who dont also dont share it. Anyway theres no such thing as "enough Cinelli Laser" on a TT thread...
Lattz,
I was doing a search but could not find the images...but there was a guy that bought 2 frames that were on display and he commented that the cracks looked like they were occurring where the "filler" was applied so not sure about the statement.
I will continue my search because I am interested in finding them, I also thought there was a post on this forum about the frames....perhapa they were carbon frames?
Best, Ben
Found this on the net: https://www.velociao.com/?portfolio=cinelli-laser ....thick layer of spray filler on the frame, they only worked on the tubes and not the foils, but said they were made of metal...I suspect the filler was used there too. There were a number of "replicas" that were made using the metal for foils and then a light skim coat to smooth to perfection.
In any event, just some info not meant to detract from the make

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-09-20 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-09-20, 04:13 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Nice catch Ben! And shame on me, I was browsing their site not long ago, even looked at this Laser article, but didn't get past the point where the club converted it to a road training bike and drilled holes for the brakes . For sure for them it was a work tool, not the praised art object, but still...
Old 10-09-20, 04:49 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by smallfrontwheel
Oh hell yeah! If I was driving by I would have to stop and give serious kudos! You guys just blew everyone in your area out of the water with that ultra Italian celeste stylish ride.......seriously. Hope it was fun as it looks and may you have many more years with it.

I was surprised by how comfortable it was to ride the 33 miles that day. No sore back or arms at the end. I stayed with the rider in the picture the whole time but at moments sprinted a bit ahead. Holy moly this thing took off.

I had 3 people ask if id be willing to sell but i declined of course.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-09-20, 05:12 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by malcala622
I was surprised by how comfortable it was to ride the 33 miles that day. No sore back or arms at the end. I stayed with the rider in the picture the whole time but at moments sprinted a bit ahead. Holy moly this thing took off.

I had 3 people ask if id be willing to sell but i declined of course.
Nice to hear about the comfort level which kicks the fear people have about these in the teeth. I bet this thing felt smooooth when it took off. Reading the description of the rocket launch is making me jealous dude. Enjoy. You put a lot of work into the project. Oh and the interest of people to buy it right away kicks in the teeth the anti classic bike and lo pro cliches too.
M & SFW,
PSST, Don't let the word out. although 24's may be another story.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-09-20, 07:08 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 706 Posts
I say let the word out if it means getting more people out riding. Maybe there's some hidden gems that need to be ridden.

Last edited by malcala622; 10-09-20 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-09-20, 08:45 PM
xiaoman1 

A little concrete, just being sacarstic...of course the more the merrier.
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-09-20 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-10-20, 02:07 PM
Lattz

Really bored.....so these two go out to Lattz since it became apparent as i went through every page here that he has an addiction for nice red bikes:

May you find one at a garage sale one day and so may I.

This one is a bit more obscure....never seen the brand before....anyone know?
Haha! Yeah that would be me. Im counting the days for that garage sale... Olmo here I come!

Regarding Yongjiu they are one of the big Chinese bicycle makers who made thos typical Dutch bike looking black bikes for the people. I wonder if this is a badge engineeed Italian bike (or a copy of it made by them) or an actual bicycle developed by them. Would also love to see a close-up of the gruppo if it is CAHBAGN0L0 r Campagnolo but its jus me being cruel. Either was the thing is nice looking and can easilly be rarer than most top shelf Italians (rarer not more expensive)

Last edited by Lattz; 10-10-20 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-10-20, 02:23 PM
Lattz

Stately and elegant. This lovely cream colored Moser (in a not seen often color for this make) reminds me why I love this brand. It looks like it is arching back to pounce like a panther with blinding speed. And in fact it did, setting the Hour Record....so highest racing bonafides. The curvy bullhorns and red colored bar tape are great accent for this. Nice panto chainring of course and good looking saddle. I would use a standard color chain but interesting touch. Enjoy.
This is really an art piece. Any info on who Felix is?
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-10-20, 05:19 PM
xiaoman1 

FROM The net:
Despite appearances,
this is not actually a bike this is not actually a bike
. It’s a piece by an artist named Daniel Bragin, who was born in Moscow but lives and works in London and Amsterdam. The correct title of the work is ‘Proposal for Russian Olympic Cycling Team 1992’, a statement about the New, emerging Russia.

REAL ART!
https://www.thespoken.cc/daniel-bragin

Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-11-20, 09:01 AM
Lattz

FROM The net:
Despite appearances,
this is not actually a bike. It’s a piece by an artist named Daniel Bragin, who was born in Moscow but lives and works in London and Amsterdam. The correct title of the work is ‘Proposal for Russian Olympic Cycling Team 1992’, a statement about the New, emerging Russia.

REAL ART!
https://www.thespoken.cc/daniel-bragin

Best, Ben
Oh yeah... this is even more artsy. Jawdropping to say the least. Normally I dont like gold plated thibgs but here they work nicely. As Im funally resurrecting the "Tiny EGOist" (a.k.a the Rossin) felt tempted to have the brake levers like this pointing forward. But finally decided to go for Ergos so it would not make sense.
Old 10-11-20, 09:29 AM
xiaoman1 

Lattz
Ok, now you have my attention...post a few pics of the "Tiny EGOist", I am sure a few of us would very much like to see it.
Best, Ben

"Still stalled on my Bertoni"
Old 10-11-20, 01:07 PM
Lattz

Lattz
Ok, now you have my attention...post a few pics of the "Tiny EGOist", I am sure a few of us would very much like to see it.
Best, Ben

"Still stalled on my Bertoni"
xiaoman1
There you go, Ben. Tiny as 650c/650c and EGOist, because of the Columbus EGO aero tubeset. My first pic post in this thread was a bit after the "as it arrived state", still with various Shimano parts, and the Open4 Rear wheel.
Now it's more Italian, only the crank is Ultegra, as I still need to source ITA bottom brackets (the Alan is also waiting for one) then it gets the Chorus. I took the photos after your post so it is really the current state (note the old fron brake cable still hanging from the tacho cable). I need to arrange the cables for the left Ergo, and tape the bar. Pulling 2 cables through the Moscow was everything but fun, but they are in! Eventually it will get a painting in the same color as now, it was dark blue just faded under the sun. Not a great advertisement for the "Du Pont System" Rossin was so proud of. Oh, and that Mutant stem has to go... I love the look, but way too long.

Last edited by Lattz; 10-11-20 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-11-20, 01:31 PM
xiaoman1 

xiaoman1
There you go, Ben. Tiny as 650c/650c and EGOist, because of the Columbus EGO aero tubeset. My first pic post in this thread was a bit after the "as it arrived state", still with various Shimano parts, and the Open4 Rear wheel.
Now it's more Italian, only the crank is Ultegra, as I still need to source ITA bottom brackets (the Alan is also waiting for one) then it gets the Chorus. I took the photos after your post so it is really the current state (note the old fron brake cable still hanging from the tacho cable). I need to arrange the cables for the left Ergo, and tape the bar. Pulling 2 cables through the Moscow was everything but fun, but they are in! Eventually it will get a painting in the same color as now, it was dark blue just faded under the sun. Not a great advertisement for the "Du Pont System" Rossin was so proud of. Oh, and that Mutant stem has to go... I love the look, but way too long.

Lattz,
Well, that is a very nice looking bike, the cock-pit looks really nice...I also opted to run my B.L.'s the way you have yours. Now I know why you were able to I.D. the Rossin in an earlier post. In the photo, the paint looks good especially with the color of the decals...it makes them pop! I am wondering why it needs to be painted, perhaps a good polish and wax would do the trick.
When I trial fitted my Moscow's I pushed then through and maybe why I did not have a lot of issues. Did you ever source your front tire? In any event, the bike looks great and will even be more of a looker after all the Italian parts are hanging on it.
Best, Ben

"STILL STALLED ON MY BERTONI"
Old 10-11-20, 04:35 PM
Lattz

xiaoman1 and smallfrontwheel thanks for the nice words. Its coming together slowly. Ben, you only had 1 brake cable on each side, so it went through easilly, I have brake and shift and unfortunately the cable houses I got are really stiff, which does not help when I need to feed them in the ergo, as they both have to make a sharp turn coming out the bar. But as I have managed (with loads of swear words though) on the right side, I know its not impossible on the left either. As said they are in place (actually went though for first try, but then noticed the Ergo lying on the ground - forgot about it, also I left on the clamp from the orig brake lever, yeah I'M that lame, when in a hurry). It will once need to be painted because it has big chips with rust, and no color matching is possible thanks to the flamboyant painting (silver base coat with tinted clear coats). Looks awesome, but not repairable. Plus there are bits like the O-rings for the tacho magnet, where the original dark blue is visible. A new "normal" paintjob won't look as nice as this (I even get comments from non bikers how cool it looks like), but will look the same everywhere. Below is a pic of the orig color (its real lo pro sibling, I've posted earlier) and the planned color. Ben, you know my method to check colors, so if a respray ever happens, I'll play around to see my options. Overall it is still a budget bike, literally built for peanuts so even if it would stay like now, its good.
The Aria wheel is my big love, odd, that when I first saw one, before I wanted one for this, I checked how much do they cost, thinking either these or Gipiemme Tecno 416s would look nice on my Alan. Found several pairs for under eur100 in 650c. I got this rear for shamefully low money, and now either there's not any for sale (neither in 700c nor 650c) or they cost a kidney. There's a pair on ebay for like USD350, well that will never happen.

The bike rides cool besides the stiff cable housings, which need some time to get used to. I guess "fly-by-wire" and "autopilot" got a new context for me. Also as a regular road biker, I must say my back is definitely happy that I have no means here to source a 650c fork and get someone to build the fork mounted handlebar I'd really like to make it a real Frankenbike. Actually even with the current setup I feel sometimes that "I'm too old for this sh**" but on the other hand its plenty of fun.

Originally it was so blue:

And this is the color so far, which I find somewhat close
Old 10-11-20, 05:04 PM
xiaoman1 

xiaoman1 and smallfrontwheel thanks for the nice words. Its coming together slowly. Ben, you only had 1 brake cable on each side, so it went through easilly, I have brake and shift and unfortunately the cable houses I got are really stiff, which does not help when I need to feed them in the ergo, as they both have to make a sharp turn coming out the bar. But as I have managed (with loads of swear words though) on the right side, I know its not impossible on the left either. As said they are in place (actually went though for first try, but then noticed the Ergo lying on the ground - forgot about it, also I left on the clamp from the orig brake lever, yeah I'M that lame, when in a hurry). It will once need to be painted because it has big chips with rust, and no color matching is possible thanks to the flamboyant painting (silver base coat with tinted clear coats). Looks awesome, but not repairable. Plus there are bits like the O-rings for the tacho magnet, where the original dark blue is visible. A new "normal" paintjob won't look as nice as this (I even get comments from non bikers how cool it looks like), but will look the same everywhere. Below is a pic of the orig color (its real lo pro sibling, I've posted earlier) and the planned color. Ben, you know my method to check colors, so if a respray ever happens, I'll play around to see my options. Overall it is still a budget bike, literally built for peanuts so even if it would stay like now, its good.
The Aria wheel is my big love, odd, that when I first saw one, before I wanted one for this, I checked how much do they cost, thinking either these or Gipiemme Tecno 416s would look nice on my Alan. Found several pairs for under eur100 in 650c. I got this rear for shamefully low money, and now either there's not any for sale (neither in 700c nor 650c) or they cost a kidney. There's a pair on ebay for like USD350, well that will never happen.

The bike rides cool besides the stiff cable housings, which need some time to get used to. I guess "fly-by-wire" and "autopilot" got a new context for me. Also as a regular road biker, I must say my back is definitely happy that I have no means here to source a 650c fork and get someone to build the fork mounted handlebar I'd really like to make it a real Frankenbike. Actually even with the current setup I feel sometimes that "I'm too old for this sh**" but on the other hand its plenty of fun.

Originally it was so blue:

And this is the color so far, which I find somewhat close
Lattz
Understand about the cables....I see that you are putting ergo's on, that's a tough one, did you enlarge the holes in the Moscow's a little, perhaps that would alleviate the binding issue.
As to the color, I think you have many choices, I am providing a link and am fairly certain that you can find a similar vendor over there.....the link is for a company called TCP Global .
https://tcpglobal.com/pages/acrylic-enamel-paint
Have you ever heard of "House of Color", they also have a wide range of colors to choose from?
If you are spraying it yourself, I would use an Acrylic Enamel, I know a lot of people like a catalyzed paint...because it "sets/cures quickly....you must wear proper equipment in order to protect your lungs with both, they require different respirators etc.
In any event, it's looking good and has inspired me to bolt on some stuff to the "Bertoni".
Best, Ben

check it out...they have HOUSE of COLOR to.
Old 10-11-20, 06:44 PM
xiaoman1 

Here's one that you don't see every day and from my hometown...eBay sale today.

Type in the name on the "bay"for better pics!
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-15-20, 08:27 AM
Lattz

Lattz
Understand about the cables....I see that you are putting ergo's on, that's a tough one, did you enlarge the holes in the Moscow's a little, perhaps that would alleviate the binding issue.
As to the color, I think you have many choices, I am providing a link and am fairly certain that you can find a similar vendor over there.....the link is for a company called TCP Global .
https://tcpglobal.com/pages/acrylic-enamel-paint
Have you ever heard of "House of Color", they also have a wide range of colors to choose from?
If you are spraying it yourself, I would use an Acrylic Enamel, I know a lot of people like a catalyzed paint...because it "sets/cures quickly....you must wear proper equipment in order to protect your lungs with both, they require different respirators etc.
In any event, it's looking good and has inspired me to bolt on some stuff to the "Bertoni".
Best, Ben

check it out...they have HOUSE of COLOR to.
Hey Ben,
thanks for the info on the paints. I've heard about House of Kolor, they have an awesome selection, and the site you have sent presents them really well. But I guess the painting the bike is lightyears ahead, as I don't want to make the same mistake as with the Somec.
Old 10-15-20, 08:45 AM
Lattz

Here's one that you don't see every day and from my hometown...eBay sale today.

Type in the name on the "bay"for better pics!
This is nice. Those reinforcements always tricky, as they immediately sell if the builder does not make a perfect job - which is not the case here. As I never heard about Laing, made a search here, and saw, that the Father Colin was the "famous" builder but Ian also made nice bikes, and he is/was a forum member answering questions or commenting in topics on their bikes.
Old 10-15-20, 08:54 AM
Lattz

That is a unique one xiaoman, never seen it. Cool post.

Here is a cool tidbit...

Boy this thing disturbs me! A meat TT bike or call it muscle tissue. One of the strangest vintage TT's I have ever seen. The components and bike itself is made of top quality and materials though. And it is unique for sure. You have to wonder what impression this would have made on fellow racers. And how many of these survive.
The bike itself is hot, all the parts are cool. But until my life ends, I won't understand the exact replica marble paintjob....period. Just like with realy marble the devil lies in the good taste if it ends up beautiful or tasteless. Overdosing it is a no go. Some did those splash paints, which loosely resembled marble. Not necessarily my favorite, but eh, I would not kick out a nice bike with those. But this... Italians are proud of their marble, sure, they were proud of this bike, and I get the context that it is an artwork, like a statue, but for me it is asking for a foil wrap (until resell) to be rideable. But its only me.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-15-20, 09:31 AM
xiaoman1 

Here is one that in my estimation proves Cinelli can make sometimes get it wrong aesthetically.....could not find any information on it other than the picture.
Best Ben

A prototype, track use only...hard to ride in a crosswind?
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-15-20, 12:13 PM
Lattz

85er experimental track bike to play with aero as such. Its made of two carbon panels with foam inside. Of course everybodys favorite UCI came on time to hold up the middle finger.....

Old 10-15-20, 12:44 PM
xiaoman1 

Lattz,
The blue helps and I am glad to hear that it'sonly for interior use on the track...the side winds would limit top speed/s, I do like the bars!
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-15-20, 01:18 PM
Lattz

I think it is somehow kind of sad that CAD ruled out the real need for experimenting. Today companies (or even everyday people) can play around with shapes wall thickness geometry materials including stress aerodynamic testing... on a monitor... just as I showed the ideas for your Bertoni back then. The interesting "forerunners" like this Cinelly wont exist anymore only as a computer model or if they want to show them on an expo they 3d print a live sized one. But back in the 80s and before the ideas had to be made and tested first... that must have been fun. For the above bike the side wind would limit the lifecycle of the rider as well I guess..
Likes For Lattz:
Old 10-15-20, 01:44 PM
xiaoman1 

I think it is somehow kind of sad that CAD ruled out the real need for experimenting. Today companies (or even everyday people) can play around with shapes wall thickness geometry materials including stress aerodynamic testing... on a monitor... just as I showed the ideas for your Bertoni back then. The interesting "forerunners" like this Cinelly wont exist anymore only as a computer model or if they want to show them on an expo they 3d print a live sized one. But back in the 80s and before the ideas had to be made and tested first... that must have been fun. For the above bike the side wind would limit the lifecycle of the rider as well I guess..
Lattz,
I think you are correct about the computer as the final step in design. In my estimation, the programs being used to validate a design can be manipulated to make something look good etc.
I see this in architecture on the screen yes but in reality, nothing beats a real model!
Making a model whether full scale or less to many still beats a rendering, when presenting my work if there is a model and a rendering clients in inevitably are drawn to the model.
Efficiency however is another matter, you can have the most efficient design but as you know there may be many ways to achieve it without losing the esthetics....
And now bike to TT's:
Best, Ben

PINARELLO "SWORD"
Designed and developed during the last millennium, Pinarello ESPADA was way ahead of its time. It was the bike that Miguel Indurain used while breaking the Hour Record. One of the most iconic bikes ever produced, it is also known as “Pinarello Sword” because espada means sword in English.

Pinarello Espada/ Aero
https://cycling-passion.com/pinarell...r-record-bike/
Likes For xiaoman1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.