Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me build my "Bertoni Crono"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me build my "Bertoni Crono"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 10:52 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
those pedals are C Record.
I believe you're right. [Sorry, didn't see your post when I responded earlier.]

It's interesting that someone has moved the back plate down to use only two mounting screws, probably for more comfort using a soft soled shoe. Wish my Victory pedals could do that!
Old 08-18-20, 01:55 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Latz and SR, Thanks for the follow-up
Yes, but progress has been slow. I took your comment about the stem length to heart and you were right the Cinelli was much too long.
I found a Bertoni panto 3tt stem in a 90 that fits perfectly...however it took almost 3 weeks to travel 119 miles to me in Los Angeles!
I did a little detailing in Italian Colors and did the initial assembly and will install the brake levers and wrap the bars in a day or so. I don't think the Deltas will work...for some reason, there does not seem to be enough reach on the rear?
I will post a pic later.

A little paint...

Still needs a little touch-up on the white and red but it needs to dry a bit more!

SR,
A little posher, I can't complain about that...HOOAH!
Thanks, Ben
Hi Ben happy to hear from you and the things still rolling.
Whoaa that stem is a cool update congrats!
I still dreaming about panto stems But for the Rossin-Alan-Somec triangle the dealers know exactly how rare they are and therefore one would cost more than what i paid for any of my bikes.

Never mind the Deltas as long as you go with the graphite gruppo those monoplaners will be a perfect fit. The deltas can shine on any other of your bikes here i guees they would cause some "disturbance in the Force".

Keep up the good work and dont forget that pic
Take care Lattz

Last edited by Lattz; 08-19-20 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-18-20, 02:04 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Looking cool.
Old 08-18-20, 02:28 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I believe you're right. [Sorry, didn't see your post when I responded earlier.]

It's interesting that someone has moved the back plate down to use only two mounting screws, probably for more comfort using a soft soled shoe. Wish my Victory pedals could do that!
Hey man its not a race or so. I actually got what I asked for... acknowledgement of what I wrote. As said Im no expert by far.

Fish for a set of cheapo victories and test drive them with a drill if you can change the rivets to bolts.. or maybe is that vandalism? (Hello, Joe King here)

Last edited by Lattz; 08-18-20 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 08-18-20, 09:23 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Is that black gruppo powder coated? It doesn't look as smooth as I would expect... But my eyes are getting less reliable too.
Last ride,
No, it is not powder-coated, it is what Campagnolo called "Graphite"...here is a link that has some info on it, I am still debating on which Group to hang on the Bertoni.
If the chrome nuts on the brakes was better it would be a no brainer because I like to run something different but I cant find any replacements for those nuts so...
https://www.google.com/search?q=camp...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Best, Ben
P.S. Aging eyes make everything look a little better!!!
Old 10-12-20, 11:25 AM
xiaoman1 

Well, after seeing a number of completed builds I'm back after a bit of a hiatus. I was motivated to start on my Bertoni again. I am still trying to decide on the decal color but I am now leaning towards white.
I wanted to use the Deltas but their pads will not go down far enough to reach the rim on the rear...so I have to go with Monoplaners.
I did try the Graphite Campy group but after a trial fitting and looking at the aesthetics, I decided to go with the more traditional anodized aluminum group because it seems to work better with the color on the frame.

It's a bit too dark for me...any thoughts, yea or nay?

The color on the wrap seems a little light but as close as I could find for the moment, so I will leave it on for a while...connecting the brake lines and posting a few pics.

A little bit of a problem to center the hole on a curved surface but I got fairly close on both of them.

Note to self....next time don't cover the holes in the bar with the tape...insert cables first!

So far so good....
Best, Ben
Lattz
malcala622

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-12-20 at 06:47 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-12-20, 12:08 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Nice progress on the Bertoni build. Id go with white also for the decal.
Old 10-12-20, 11:11 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Hold on.... What is happening with the brake cable there? You've got a brake cable coming out of the end plug, and another brake cable coming out of the bar near the stem?
Old 10-13-20, 07:08 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Hold on.... What is happening with the brake cable there? You've got a brake cable coming out of the end plug, and another brake cable coming out of the bar near the stem?
The levers are non-aero, so both cables will be routed through the bars from the bar end [hole in the plug] to the hole closer to the stem. He only shows the one side in his pictures.

And white decals sounds good to me, too.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 10-13-20, 07:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Or is it going in the bar end and coming out near the stem to go straight down to the caliper?
Old 10-14-20, 03:47 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Well, after seeing a number of completed builds I'm back after a bit of a hiatus. I was motivated to start on my Bertoni again. I am still trying to decide on the decal color but I am now leaning towards white.
I wanted to use the Deltas but their pads will not go down far enough to reach the rim on the rear...so I have to go with Monoplaners.
I did try the Graphite Campy group but after a trial fitting and looking at the aesthetics, I decided to go with the more traditional anodized aluminum group because it seems to work better with the color on the frame.

It's a bit too dark for me...any thoughts, yea or nay?

The color on the wrap seems a little light but as close as I could find for the moment, so I will leave it on for a while...connecting the brake lines and posting a few pics.

Note to self....next time don't cover the holes in the bar with the tape...insert cables first!

So far so good....
Best, Ben
Lattz
malcala622
Hey Ben, now I see you were not joking on the TT thread and made a move! Good job! While generally I don't see the problem with the Graphite gruppo, because those levers are damn so nice, the anodized ones will definitely fit it better.
Old 10-14-20, 09:28 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
because it's a TT bike and lack of weight is a consideration I think building it with Zeus parts would be fun.
maybe a single chainring would have been "right" BITD.I have a Stronglight solid chainring that Ive been saving
for a future TT build that would look super cool!
Old 10-14-20, 04:21 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
The levers are non-aero, so both cables will be routed through the bars from the bar end [hole in the plug] to the hole closer to the stem. He only shows the one side in his pictures.

And white decals sounds good to me, too.
Good questions and observations...The brakes are Aero, since I wanted it to look as close to original as possible I decided to route the cables this way. I was wondering how it was going to look aesthetically after the install I rather like its quirkiness.
Decals will be white and on order.

In new the stem and out at the plug! @Malcala662

I also had a more modern crankset that showed a lot of cage wear so I decided to strip the anodizing and try my hand at some polishing. I used "easy-off" on them to remove the anodizing provided a few surprises (I didn't document). The cranks turned black and I wanted to wash them immediately....turns out it was the anodizing and nothing to be overly concerned about
A quick wash removed the black stuff and I used 320-220 and the 600 wet and dry before a really quick hand polish and although no machine work yet, I like the results.

Wet sanded 220-320-600

Pre-machine work, still some sanding marks but overall I am pleased with the results. Lattz

Almost to the finish line.....pedals, decals, rear-wheel and shift cables and chain install!
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 10-14-20 at 07:56 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-14-20, 05:06 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
That cable routing is very similar to the near unobtainable Mavic bar end loops that go with the non aero brake setups. I had no luck finding a set but I prefered the aero look.

The bar cap cable routing came out pretty neat xiaoman1

These arent Mavic but exact same concept that you pretty much replicated.

Last edited by malcala622; 10-14-20 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For malcala622: