Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dark or Bright Colors?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What’s your color preference and why?
Fluorescent yellow/green only
14.85%
Black and grays
16.83%
Orange, Red, Greens, bright colors
62.38%
None of your bees wax
5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Dark or Bright Colors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 01:05 PM
olddcarnutjag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got passed by a regiment of Strykers, an officer was sitting on the hatch, holding on to the gun rest, They gave me lots of room and the Major touched his helmet.
i bought a maple leaf jersey before I went to Montreal. Question, what should I wear in Europe, and can I wear my kit in restaurants?
Old 10-19-20, 01:22 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I see lots of dark colored jerseys and the those that wear fluorescent yellow. Is it important to be seen or blend in?
on the roads, be seen or be dead. Probably applies to trails too. I just spend less time on trails.
Old 10-19-20, 01:40 PM
AndrewRc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Prefer bright colors – green, yellow – and a rear flashing light. I want to be seen and good part of the time, drivers still don’t notice me. When I got hit in April, the driver told me he never saw me.
Old 10-19-20, 01:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Not true.
Lights don't show up well in daylight, but bright yellow clothing does.
There are some very bright flashing tail lights on the market...It's not difficult to find one that is visible in daylight.

A bright yellow jersey, on the other hand, works well at some times during the year. Right now, where I live, it would blend in with the turning leaves.
Old 10-19-20, 02:11 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Use running lights (front and rear) and don't worry about the colors you are wearing.
Likes For Steeler_fanatic:
Old 10-19-20, 02:49 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
When I drive, ride, walk, or whatever, I notice high vis yellowish greenish newish safety jackets and jerseys on highway workers and others, a long way away. I remember riding in a straight line about 1/2 or 1/4 mile to a group ride, I could only see the high vis yellow green riders at a distance. So that's what I wear. I also have a Cygolight hot shot pro 200 tail light that is visible at that distance in daylight. I have a Cygolight dice 150 white in front. It's a lot brighter than car lights. As is my tail light.

Now there are a few good daylight lights and millions of ones that don't work in daylight.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 10-19-20, 03:02 PM
fjhunt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got hit by a car during bright daylight while wearing a bright pink/red jersey. The driver said he never saw me. Now I use a 350 lumens flashing tail light and ride mostly on gravel roads.
Likes For fjhunt:
Old 10-19-20, 04:13 PM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I misread the question and was thinking *bike* color.
When I got run over from behind (“Oh, I’m sorry - I didn’t SEE you!”) I was wearing a multi-color jersey and had a bright red flashing tail light and was stopped and an intersection, waiting for cross traffic to clear.

Do what you can to be seen, wear what you like, and enjoy the ride!
Old 10-19-20, 04:18 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I see lots of dark colored jerseys and the those that wear fluorescent yellow. Is it important to be seen or blend in?
Depends.
General recreation - you want to be seen by those that could kill you, but you assume do not want to.
Competition, I think it is better to be unnoticed.

Then there is the heat thing. For those that ride in sunny places, reflective is better.
Old 10-20-20, 06:50 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by fjhunt
I got hit by a car during bright daylight while wearing a bright pink/red jersey. The driver said he never saw me. Now I use a 350 lumens flashing tail light and ride mostly on gravel roads.
AKA blind/annoy the hell out out of anyone behind you, especially when it's dark. I won't say I blame you though. However, 100 lm is plenty for a tail light IMO. I have a 60 lm tail light and a friend of mine who once had unbeknownst to me been catching up with me said it was visible from 1 km away (daylight, overcast).
Old 10-20-20, 07:52 AM
fjhunt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
AKA blind/annoy the hell out out of anyone behind you, especially when it's dark. I won't say I blame you though. However, 100 lm is plenty for a tail light IMO. I have a 60 lm tail light and a friend of mine who once had unbeknownst to me been catching up with me said it was visible from 1 km away (daylight, overcast).
Being launched 30 feet by a distracted driver going 55mph will do that to you. My 60 lumins light needed to be replaced anyways along with my totaled road bike.
Likes For fjhunt:
Old 10-22-20, 08:31 AM
BrNorton007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like bright colors!
Old 10-22-20, 08:59 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
When I was in my 20s I would wear running singlets and I didn't think nothing of visibility. But now in my 50s I make sure to wear mostly red, one yellow, one orange active wear shirts with black cycling shorts and a blinking light on my post. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any wiser or smarter and here's the story to prove it. (I'm glad this isn't a A&S thread).
I live in Texas and it wasn't that hot one summer day and decided I'd wear a black active wear shirt and Not be cool but look it. After I made the turn around it got really hot and started to question the black shirt decision. Anyways, there was a tree on the opposite side of the country road (against traffic) and I headed to the shade it was throwing on the road to make a bike adjustment. I should've got in the grass but I didn't want to risk a flat plus there's not a lot of traffic where I ride. But here came a pickup truck heading right towards me. I figured it was someone trying to scare me BUT it kept coming towards me like he didn't see me, but instead of getting in the grass I decided I'd stand my ground and started waving my hands to alert him. Finally right before I was gonna jump into the grass he veered away from me. (Hold on guys I get dumber) as he went by I Spit On His Pickup Truck. Now, his brake lights come on he shoves his pick-up in reverse and starts heading right towards me. (Hold on guys I get even dumber). I decide in my rage from almost purposely getting run over that I wasn't moving and he was gonna have to really run me over. But like before, he veered at the last second...then stops right beside me. Then he starts yelling at me about spitting on his pick up and I yell back because he tried to run me over and he yells " I didn't see you and why would I intentionally run you over". I YELL back cause some people don't like cyclist. He was kinda taken back and told me I shouldn't wear black cause he couldn't see me in the shade. Then he burned rubber.
There are a few takeaway lessons here. Number One, Don't spit on pickup trucks in Texas. 2. Wait a few years before you tell this story and tell it here first. 3. What a dumb sss I was and hopefully won't put myself in that situation again...but if I know me.
Ok feel Free to add your What An Idiot comments directed towards me, I deserve it and This Is cycling discussion thread.
Finally now I can tell this story to others.
BTW, I haven't worn a black shirt on the Road since that incident s few years ago. And FWIW, i read a little article in cycling magazine years ago that the color that alert drivers the most Was Not orange, yellow or red but was....Pink. Who knew? Well I did, but I still wore black that day.
​​​​​​
I know you know, but what in the world were you thinking spitting on his truck?!?!?!?!? In Texas!!!! You coulda been capped!
Old 12-24-20, 12:56 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
always rocking a front (and at least one) rear blinkie. i tend to lean towards white jerseys because, ime, that is what stands out most to me
when driving mountain/foothill roads or urban roads. it looks like a blank, moving sandwich board in a sea of different textures, colors and
shades-so it stands out to me here in socal. also seems to work fairly well on those may/june overcast days. no idea how it stands out or not
for those colorblind individuals that drive (maybe someone can chip in?) but thinking it's perhaps even more pronounced. obvs the white
jerseys are a tuff proposition on rain rides and you only have to change one or two flats while wearing a white jersey before it becomes
less pure than the driven snow. if i were riding more often in snow climes with snowbanks and a white background, it would be different.
Old 12-24-20, 11:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,641 Times in 2,921 Posts
From Be Outdoors:

”When it comes to high-visibility safety apparel, there are specific and rigorously tested standards set in place by the government: The American National Standard for High-Visibility Safety Apparel and Headwear (ANSI/ISEA 107-2010) as established by American National Standards Institute, Inc. (If you really want to get into the details, here’s an excellent and very thorough overview.)

When it comes to cycling and running, there is not nearly the level of scientific studies or standards in place for high-visibility clothing. The takeaway from the national standards, however, is that only three colors meet its rigorous criteria: fluorescent yellow-green, fluorescent orange-red, and fluorescent red. (And, of course, reflective stripes for nighttime visibility.)

As mentioned above, fluorescent yellow-green is the best choice during the day—and best all-around choice for a single color. But as dusk sets in and lighting gets dim, orange-red and red start to become more prominent. (It has to do with the fact that your eyeballs rely on both rods and cones to see colors, that it uses them in different combinations depending on ambient light levels, and that rods and cones are more sensitive to different wavelengths of light. Newsweek had a great article on this topic last October. )

So the takeaway from all this? The safest, most visible combination of clothing would include all three colors. A yellow-green vest over an orange-red jersey, for example. But even if you don’t tri-color your way across the landscape, do the bright thing: Pick at least one of them—and wear it!”

Many fire departments have transitioned from red trucks to high-vis yellow/green and have seen substantial reductions in collisions.

Old 12-25-20, 12:04 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by fjhunt
Three Dinotte's Center One is Day Time Red w 8 leds.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-26-20 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-25-20, 08:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I wear bright whenever possible.

Based on my encounters with cyclists while I am driving, it usually does not matter, but on occasion it does make a difference.

Also, blaze orange and neon green/yellow are useful when i want to mountIan bike or hike during hunting season.
Old 12-25-20, 06:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,641 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
In my country, most cyclists wear dark colors (often black with little to no bright color accentuation) to their detriment (less visibility and absorbs more heat in our scorching tropical sun).

Main reason: looks cool

Next important reason: helps obscure "skunk stripes" - we do have plenty of wet / muddy roads even in the dry season without rains due to poor drainage / sewage infrastructure of our roads. You can guess where that water is coming from.....

But for me, I wear bright clothing except for my shorts (dark color shorts to help obscure "saddle stain"). I do hate the heat, especially 100F heat, nobody gets used to it even if you're born into it and bright shirts absorb solar heat less. All humans have about 100'F heat tolerance (when really bad things start happening to the body) without any form of cooling (including sweating) and that's that.

To deal with the skunk stripe problem, and still be able to wear bright clothing - full fenders all year round. Though it adds a bit to weight and aero drag, it's a huge convenience in not having to be limited to just dark clothing only and SAFE. I see a lot of cyclists swerve around or brake for wet sections of the road. I don't have to do that with full fenders! For me, I'd like to be safe than looking cool on the road or adding a few mph to the speed. Heck, I even ride with a gravel bike on roads with wider tires all the time so I can simply roll over potholes without having to swerve nor brake!
You should create a jersey with a centered black/brown stripe on a bright background. It could be a dark broken pattern like a snake skin or whatever. Of course it will be called a Skunk Jersey.

Old 12-25-20, 08:42 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
The water present in our roads, especially if it's not raining is often sewer water and it reeks!
Something like this?

Old 12-25-20, 08:49 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
At my workplace, I have access to all manner of high-vis T-shirts, jackets, vests, etc.... All ANSI/ISEA neon yellow with reflectorized stripes. I don't ride at night but on the rare occasion I'm still out as it begins to get darker they're probably better than the typical black T shirt and green camouflage shorts I usually wear otherwise.
Old 12-26-20, 12:45 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
White helmet, loud safety vest and lights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.